What happens to our D if we lose both Clements and Fletch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

What happens to our D if we lose both Clements and Fletch?

Both players have had their ups and downs over the season, but given the other needs on this team, the relatively thin FA market and the cap space we'll have, resigning them would seem to make more sense than trying to replace them.

That being said, it's not as easy as it sounds for the following reasons:
    1. We have no guarantees that Ralph will fork over the signing bonus
    2. We have no guarantees that we won't be outbid by someone else
    3. We don't know for sure that they want to be here.

So there is at least some possibility that we could lose both of them.

Clearly, we're thin at LB as it is- COY WIRE may be starting. It seems as though the coaching staff isn't happy with Ellison or DiGiorgio. We could end up with Spikes-Ellison-Crowell as starting LB's next season. Not good.

At CB, Thomas and Greer are good nickle backs but I don't think either is starting material. A lot of us hoped that Youboty could possibly replace Clements by the year's end, but there are only 4 games left and he hasn't played at all. And McGee has had his struggles this year as well.

If we lose both of these guys, I think we're in serious trouble.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Re: What happens to our D if we lose both Clements and Fletch?

Pain.

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Depending on who we get it would GREATLY improve.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
        Depending on who we get it would GREATLY improve.
        that's exactly the problem. I'm not thrilled with either of these guys, but I don't know who's available that would be better. Clearly we don't have the replacement for either one on our roster at the moment. I suppose there's still some hope Youboty could be a starting corner, but he sure as hell won't be one in Sept 2007.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mudflap1
          Next Question!
          • Nov 2004

If we make the mistake of letting Clements and Fletcher leave, it will have the same impact on our defense that letting Pat Williams leave had, of which we still have not recovered.

Jon

Comment

• bigbub2352
            • Feb 2005

I dont think Fletch leaving would be a big problem he makes alot of plays but how many of them really matter, in other words he has no lpays at the point of attack everything is 3-5yards down feild, Clements is also replaceable in my opinion, any top flight WR can torch him, a second rd pick or Youboty can replace him i think u dont wast money on signing someone in the wrong end of 30 who clearly cant cover TEs anymore ala SD and others let them go and spend on younge Bigger LB or draft
            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by bigbub2352
              I dont think Fletch leaving would be a big problem he makes alot of plays but how many of them really matter, in other words he has no lpays at the point of attack everything is 3-5yards down feild, Clements is also replaceable in my opinion, any top flight WR can torch him, a second rd pick or Youboty can replace him i think u dont wast money on signing someone in the wrong end of 30 who clearly cant cover TEs anymore ala SD and others let them go and spend on younge Bigger LB or draft
              I think if we lose one of them we'll get by. I think if we lose both, that's two big holes to fill when we already need DL help, OL help, a true #2 WR, a receiving TE and a fullback.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                • Jul 2005

I agree Op, you hate to see more holes appear when we've already got some to fill.

I think we need to make a push to keep at least one of the two. I'm leaning towards Clements for age reasons, but I think the chances of him returning are slim. If we resigned Clements, I think we could find a replacement for Fletcher.

Aren't Lance Briggs and Cato June both free agents? Either one would be a nice add, if we could move one of our current guys to MLB. How do you all think TKO would do in the middle?
                Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                  • Aug 2005

The only excuse for letting Fletcher go is if we have signed Cato June otherwise we need him. He has been outstanding for us. Clements has shown his old ability but I am afraid that he will stop if we sign him back up.
                  SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBillsStampede
                    The only excuse for letting Fletcher go is if we have signed Cato June otherwise we need him. He has been outstanding for us. Clements has shown his old ability but I am afraid that he will stop if we sign him back up.
                    Clements makes me nervous too, but not as nervous as the other guys on our roster. I'm really disappointed that Youboty wasn't ready. With the poor play of Clements and McGee early in the season, I'm sure they could have found some playng time for him.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DynaPaul
                      • Sep 2003

I think that we definitely have to keep one of these two guys, preferably Fletcher. Clements has shown some bright spots in the last couple of weeks but has been either too inconsistent or non-existent to warrant the big bucks. Fletcher is just a steady tackler. He's not the kind of guy that makes big plays all of the times but he's consistent and usually in on the play. I'd like to keep him a Bill until he retires personally.

Comment

• Devin
                        The Octagon
                        • Apr 2003

Its a very thin market at CB, part of the reason Clements is going to recieve a monstrous payday.

My hope is we can hang onto Fletcher at the very least, although hes probably ready to hit the bricks.
                        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

What happens? We go back to "rebuilding"

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            Both players have had their ups and downs over the season, but given the other needs on this team, the relatively thin FA market and the cap space we'll have, resigning them would seem to make more sense than trying to replace them.

That being said, it's not as easy as it sounds for the following reasons:
                            1. We have no guarantees that Ralph will fork over the signing bonus
                            2. We have no guarantees that we won't be outbid by someone else
                            3. We don't know for sure that they want to be here.

So there is at least some possibility that we could lose both of them.

Clearly, we're thin at LB as it is- COY WIRE may be starting. It seems as though the coaching staff isn't happy with Ellison or DiGiorgio. We could end up with Spikes-Ellison-Crowell as starting LB's next season. Not good.

At CB, Thomas and Greer are good nickle backs but I don't think either is starting material. A lot of us hoped that Youboty could possibly replace Clements by the year's end, but there are only 4 games left and he hasn't played at all. And McGee has had his struggles this year as well.

If we lose both of these guys, I think we're in serious trouble.
                            When they leave and we don't replace them with comparable talent, Ralph Wilson just lost a few more season tickets next year.

Comment

• HAMMER
                              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                              • Jul 2003

I can't believe people are still willing to minimize Fletcher's contributions to this defense. He is the leader and the leading tackler.

Comment

Working...
                              X