PDA

View Full Version : What happens to our D if we lose both Clements and Fletch?

OpIv37
12-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Both players have had their ups and downs over the season, but given the other needs on this team, the relatively thin FA market and the cap space we'll have, resigning them would seem to make more sense than trying to replace them.

That being said, it's not as easy as it sounds for the following reasons:
1. We have no guarantees that Ralph will fork over the signing bonus
2. We have no guarantees that we won't be outbid by someone else
3. We don't know for sure that they want to be here.

So there is at least some possibility that we could lose both of them.

Clearly, we're thin at LB as it is- COY WIRE may be starting. It seems as though the coaching staff isn't happy with Ellison or DiGiorgio. We could end up with Spikes-Ellison-Crowell as starting LB's next season. Not good.

At CB, Thomas and Greer are good nickle backs but I don't think either is starting material. A lot of us hoped that Youboty could possibly replace Clements by the year's end, but there are only 4 games left and he hasn't played at all. And McGee has had his struggles this year as well.

If we lose both of these guys, I think we're in serious trouble.

Mudflap1
12-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Pain.

ICE74129
12-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Depending on who we get it would GREATLY improve.

OpIv37
12-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Depending on who we get it would GREATLY improve.

that's exactly the problem. I'm not thrilled with either of these guys, but I don't know who's available that would be better. Clearly we don't have the replacement for either one on our roster at the moment. I suppose there's still some hope Youboty could be a starting corner, but he sure as hell won't be one in Sept 2007.

Mudflap1
12-05-2006, 02:43 PM
If we make the mistake of letting Clements and Fletcher leave, it will have the same impact on our defense that letting Pat Williams leave had, of which we still have not recovered.

Jon

bigbub2352
12-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I dont think Fletch leaving would be a big problem he makes alot of plays but how many of them really matter, in other words he has no lpays at the point of attack everything is 3-5yards down feild, Clements is also replaceable in my opinion, any top flight WR can torch him, a second rd pick or Youboty can replace him i think u dont wast money on signing someone in the wrong end of 30 who clearly cant cover TEs anymore ala SD and others let them go and spend on younge Bigger LB or draft

OpIv37
12-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I dont think Fletch leaving would be a big problem he makes alot of plays but how many of them really matter, in other words he has no lpays at the point of attack everything is 3-5yards down feild, Clements is also replaceable in my opinion, any top flight WR can torch him, a second rd pick or Youboty can replace him i think u dont wast money on signing someone in the wrong end of 30 who clearly cant cover TEs anymore ala SD and others let them go and spend on younge Bigger LB or draft

I think if we lose one of them we'll get by. I think if we lose both, that's two big holes to fill when we already need DL help, OL help, a true #2 WR, a receiving TE and a fullback.

Saratoga Slim
12-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I agree Op, you hate to see more holes appear when we've already got some to fill.

I think we need to make a push to keep at least one of the two. I'm leaning towards Clements for age reasons, but I think the chances of him returning are slim. If we resigned Clements, I think we could find a replacement for Fletcher.

Aren't Lance Briggs and Cato June both free agents? Either one would be a nice add, if we could move one of our current guys to MLB. How do you all think TKO would do in the middle?

BuffaloBillsStampede
12-05-2006, 08:35 PM
The only excuse for letting Fletcher go is if we have signed Cato June otherwise we need him. He has been outstanding for us. Clements has shown his old ability but I am afraid that he will stop if we sign him back up.

OpIv37
12-05-2006, 09:13 PM
The only excuse for letting Fletcher go is if we have signed Cato June otherwise we need him. He has been outstanding for us. Clements has shown his old ability but I am afraid that he will stop if we sign him back up.

Clements makes me nervous too, but not as nervous as the other guys on our roster. I'm really disappointed that Youboty wasn't ready. With the poor play of Clements and McGee early in the season, I'm sure they could have found some playng time for him.

DynaPaul
12-05-2006, 10:23 PM
I think that we definitely have to keep one of these two guys, preferably Fletcher. Clements has shown some bright spots in the last couple of weeks but has been either too inconsistent or non-existent to warrant the big bucks. Fletcher is just a steady tackler. He's not the kind of guy that makes big plays all of the times but he's consistent and usually in on the play. I'd like to keep him a Bill until he retires personally.

Devin
12-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Its a very thin market at CB, part of the reason Clements is going to recieve a monstrous payday.

My hope is we can hang onto Fletcher at the very least, although hes probably ready to hit the bricks.

gr8slayer
12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
What happens? We go back to "rebuilding"

jamze132
12-06-2006, 04:10 AM
Both players have had their ups and downs over the season, but given the other needs on this team, the relatively thin FA market and the cap space we'll have, resigning them would seem to make more sense than trying to replace them.

Clearly, we're thin at LB as it is- COY WIRE may be starting. It seems as though the coaching staff isn't happy with Ellison or DiGiorgio. We could end up with Spikes-Ellison-Crowell as starting LB's next season. Not good.

At CB, Thomas and Greer are good nickle backs but I don't think either is starting material. A lot of us hoped that Youboty could possibly replace Clements by the year's end, but there are only 4 games left and he hasn't played at all. And McGee has had his struggles this year as well.

When they leave and we don't replace them with comparable talent, Ralph Wilson just lost a few more season tickets next year.

HAMMER
12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
I can't believe people are still willing to minimize Fletcher's contributions to this defense. He is the leader and the leading tackler.

justasportsfan
12-06-2006, 09:30 AM
I think Fletch will want to stay and Marv will want him back too depending on whether Fletch listens to Rosenass . If Fletch does leave, Spikes won't be far behind.

BillsNick
12-06-2006, 10:07 AM
I would like to keep Clements.

PECKERWOOD
12-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Didn't Nate already shut down Harrison, Driver and Andre Johnson this year already?

BillsNick
12-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Clements has really turned it up this year. At the beginning of the year, I hated Clements and could have cared less it he left Buffalo or not. But as of the last month or so, he has not only played lights out football, but he has sounded more mature and more like a leader.

We need Clements to stay if we are going to make a playoff run in the next few years.

The King
12-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I see Fletch as a leader and I think he view himself as the same. I think he will want to stay, and wont be out to rip off the Bills, but I think they have to be fair with him too. A decent offer will keep him here. Plus he isnt injury prone, he is tough as nails.

OpIv37
12-06-2006, 12:06 PM
I see Fletch as a leader and I think he view himself as the same. I think he will want to stay, and wont be out to rip off the Bills, but I think they have to be fair with him too. A decent offer will keep him here. Plus he isnt injury prone, he is tough as nails.

he might not want to rip off the Bills, but his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. That guy would rip off his own grandmother given the opportunity.

PECKERWOOD
12-06-2006, 12:18 PM
If we lose Fletcher and Clements we are ****ed. If I had to pick between Clements and Fletcher, I would go with Clements. LB's are easier replaced, and while Fletcher is still an elite MLB, his best days are behind him.

HHURRICANE
12-06-2006, 01:02 PM

I share your concerns. With all of the talk about having a good off season wouldn't it be ironoc if we sucked worse next year.

If Coy Wire is still here next year than I officially know that there will be no playoffs in 2007. He's like a canary in a coal mine. If the liitle yellow bastard is still in our cage than we are dead.

Saratoga Slim
12-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I like Fletcher, don't get me wrong. I like him a whole lot better than Nate, who I'm suspicious of b/c he knows damn well every team in the league is watching his play and conduct b/c he's going to be a FA this year. I'm curious if he'll continue to play as well and act as maturely after getting a big $$. However, if we can only afford to resign one of the two:

1. Seems like there are more good LB options than CB in free agency
2. Seems like there are several very good LB prospects in the draft (Posluszny, etc).
3. Nate is in his prime and has good years ahead, while Fletcher, while still playing really well, is nearing the downhill end of his career.
4. I would be more comfortable with a Spikes, Crowell, Ellison lb corps than replacing Clements with any of our current backup CBs. I just haven't seen enough of Youboty to think he can start as a #2, and I'm not quite sure I like McGee as our #1.

Thus, despite the fact that London is a stand up guy and great player, if it came down to it I'd probably resign Nate given the choice between the two.

mysticsoto
12-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I like Fletcher, don't get me wrong. I like him a whole lot better than Nate, who I'm suspicious of b/c he knows damn well every team in the league is watching his play and conduct b/c he's going to be a FA this year. I'm curious if he'll continue to play as well and act as maturely after getting a big $$. However, if we can only afford to resign one of the two:

1. Seems like there are more good LB options than CB in free agency
2. Seems like there are several very good LB prospects in the draft (Posluszny, etc).
3. Nate is in his prime and has good years ahead, while Fletcher, while still playing really well, is nearing the downhill end of his career.
4. I would be more comfortable with a Spikes, Crowell, Ellison lb corps than replacing Clements with any of our current backup CBs. I just haven't seen enough of Youboty to think he can start as a #2, and I'm not quite sure I like McGee as our #1.

Thus, despite the fact that London is a stand up guy and great player, if it came down to it I'd probably resign Nate given the choice between the two.

Excellently put. I'd like to keep Fletcher myself and maybe rotate him a bit with another to give him some breathing breaks and slowly get another involved, but if it came down to it, I also agree that it is more important to keep Clements. He is younger and can play for years to come. Youboty didn't get to do much, but it is NOT a bad thing to develop him as a top backup should anyone go down. Never heard anyone say "I hate having too many quality CBs"

Fletcher has been playing great - I don't want to take anything away from him. But truthfully, if our DTs were doing their job, he wouldn't be where he is right now. I'd rather shore up that front line and have a big & fast LB (even if it's a rookie). It will all depend on the $$$ Fletcher decides he wants...

HAMMER
12-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Clements has really turned it up this year. At the beginning of the year, I hated Clements and could have cared less it he left Buffalo or not. But as of the last month or so, he has not only played lights out football, but he has sounded more mature and more like a leader.

We need Clements to stay if we are going to make a playoff run in the next few years.

Amazing the attitude change he went through the last few months. Smart move, he is worth more projecting leadership qualities than whining. His agent or his mom probably told him to wise up, it's a contract year.

alohabillsfan
12-07-2006, 08:33 AM
PLEASE resign both... I cannot fathom another re-building season... If (and that is a big IF) we resign both great, getus another DT and LB and the defense is good enough.