PDA

View Full Version : What a crock

Devin
12-05-2006, 10:44 PM
The Saints suffered a big blow to their defense Tuesday when they found out defensive tackle Hollis Thomas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3769), who is having a career year, is being suspended for four games because he violated the league's steroid policy due to asthma medication he takes.

Thomas has been challenging the positive steroid test and had the support of the Saints. Thomas is a 335-pound defensive tackle who has struggled to keep his weight down and doesn't have the body that normally would be linked to steroids.

During his appeal, John Amoss, who is the Saints' team doctor and an assistant professor at the LSU Health Science Center, sent a letter to the league in support of Thomas. Amoss said Thomas has severe asthma problems and requires a high dose of inhaled steroids to breathe. According to the doctor, Thomas needs a long acting beta agonist and a short acting beta agonist to control his asthma.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2687451

spacecowboy
12-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah I heard about this, just ridiculous.

Devin
12-05-2006, 10:58 PM
I could understand if it came from suppliments or whatever but friggin asthma medicine. Give me a break.

evol4276
12-05-2006, 11:35 PM
i take that stuff... its freakin rediculous they GIVE you them at the hospital if you would have to go in for asthma-related problems. this is complete bull

gr8slayer
12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Damn, they are playing the Cowboys this week, I wanted to see the Saints destroy them. Hopefully his backup can do it as well as he does.

ublinkwescore
12-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Damn, they are playing the Cowboys this week, I wanted to see the Saints destroy them. Hopefully his backup can do it as well as he does.

Why can't they delay it like the NFL did for RoidBoy Merriman?

jamze132
12-06-2006, 03:45 AM
If indeed the meds made him piss hot, than it is a travesty. But what I will say is that if you have a health condition that is so bad that you have to take steroids so you don't die, you might want to find another career. It sucks but that's real life.

BuffaloRanger
12-06-2006, 03:57 AM
That's silly. Lots of people have asthma, and take this steroid, what career should they look for?

"Sorry even though you are good enough to play in the NFL and make a million a year, you should go be a greeter at Walmart."

YardRat
12-06-2006, 05:37 AM
That's silly. Lots of people have asthma, and take this steroid, what career should they look for?

"Sorry even though you are good enough to play in the NFL and make a million a year, you should go be a greeter at Walmart."

He had the opportunity to get a college degree, most likely for free. Did he?

!Papacrunk!
12-06-2006, 06:18 AM
That is really bad, asthma medication??? When Sammy Morris served his 4 game suspension earlier this season, it was due to him taking Sudafed for his cold. He now says when he gets a cold, he'll stick to taking vitamin C and drinking a lot of ornage juice as well.

jamze132
12-06-2006, 07:10 AM
I am unsure about all of these players pissing hot for working out too hard while taking creatine, sipping on some Sudafed, and asthma medication. I have a hard time believing that the NFL would suspend someone for these rediculous ideas. If it were that easy to be tarnished and labled as a cheater, I think the NFLPA would raise their voice. I think there is more than meets the eye in some of these cases, and what is said is the fact that we will probably never know the true story.

I am pretty sure if the NFL could prove that someone who pissed hot because of caugh medicine would allow that person to play. And I am guessing since the player's were suspended that the NFL couldn't prove that the guy wasn't cheating.

ICE74129
12-06-2006, 07:15 AM
See its all the IOC bull ****. The IOC has become such tight asses over the steroid issue its screwing good people/ athletes.

There is a major difference between an ANABOLIC Steroid meant to enhance athletic peformance and a steroid for health conditions.

If these asses from the NFL were as up to speed on this subject and as smart as they THINK they are, this would be a non issue.

Personally I hope he sues the ever loving **** out of the NFL and makes it a federal case that could be heard before the Supreme court. The NFL is a mulit BILLION dollar industry and if they are this damn stupid they deserve to lose a nice chunk of money.

It never seems to amaze me how common sense is thrown out the window.

ICE74129
12-06-2006, 07:19 AM
I am unsure about all of these players pissing hot for working out too hard while taking creatine, sipping on some Sudafed, and asthma medication. I have a hard time believing that the NFL would suspend someone for these rediculous ideas. If it were that easy to be tarnished and labled as a cheater, I think the NFLPA would raise their voice. I think there is more than meets the eye in some of these cases, and what is said is the fact that we will probably never know the true story.

I am pretty sure if the NFL could prove that someone who pissed hot because of caugh medicine would allow that person to play. And I am guessing since the player's were suspended that the NFL couldn't prove that the guy wasn't cheating.

See here is what you are missing, the STANDARD established by the IOC (which is what the NFL Uses ) Is pure and absolute crap. I have been drug tested several times in the sports I have competed in. Hell I was with Shane Hammond down in OKC working on some olympic lifts and the IOC Bastards came in and demanded a test from him right then! he laughed and said its no big deal, that one day they waited for him after church let out!

The problem is the STANDARD they use to test. ANY trace of anything that can give you any boost at all and you are busted. Go check out the standards they are flat assinine. Hell if you go to a meet of any sort where the USOC or the IOC is testing and you had too much coffee that morning, and you will test positive!

A major org like the NFLPA needs to file a federal suit against the NFL and the IOC standards and force them to be changed

jamze132
12-06-2006, 07:47 AM
See here is what you are missing, the STANDARD established by the IOC (which is what the NFL Uses ) Is pure and absolute crap. I have been drug tested several times in the sports I have competed in. Hell I was with Shane Hammond down in OKC working on some olympic lifts and the IOC Bastards came in and demanded a test from him right then! he laughed and said its no big deal, that one day they waited for him after church let out!

The problem is the STANDARD they use to test. ANY trace of anything that can give you any boost at all and you are busted. Go check out the standards they are flat assinine. Hell if you go to a meet of any sort where the USOC or the IOC is testing and you had too much coffee that morning, and you will test positive!

A major org like the NFLPA needs to file a federal suit against the NFL and the IOC standards and force them to be changed
if the NFL has adopted the same guidelines as olympic testing than whoever pisses hot for coffee is doomed and there ain't **** they can do about it. Obviously, the NFLPA and owners agreed on whatever it is they agreed on so I don't see why he would have a legitimate arguement.

However I will say IMO, I think the NFL drug testing program sucks ass and should be reviewed and changed. And I understand the different types of steroids and what they are used for. In the Army, we are testing for steroids now and one of my soldiers came up hot, but since he was prescribed them to help diagnose a possibel problem, we was off the hook. The NFL needs to review each test individually and go from there.

I am sure BuffaloRanger knows a thing or two about steroids!

disclaimer to above statement - It's cool with me! lol

Lexwhat
12-07-2006, 03:18 AM
If indeed the meds made him piss hot, than it is a travesty. But what I will say is that if you have a health condition that is so bad that you have to take steroids so you don't die, you might want to find another career. It sucks but that's real life.

I wouldnt pass up an opportunity to play in the NFL. I'm sure he's got a lot of medical supervision and some of the top doctors monitoring him.

And the "health condition that is so bad that you have to take steroid so you don't die" kind of sounds misleading. I have asthma, but it's nothing serious. If I was 300+ pounds and playing in the NFL, even a minor asthma condition requires attention. I would guess that his condition otherwise (outside of the NFL) probally isn't that bad.

But again, he has a lot of medical attention.

CuseJetsFan83
12-07-2006, 03:46 AM
eh, regardless......... the NFL needs some help as far as this goes....... its amazing where in other sports you can be chastized and banned........ for the first offense, but yet in the NFL ala merriman, its as if you were injured and came back.......

i can understand if it was something injected or something that would have some bad pretenses, but aren't all players tested at the beginning of the year... or is it just random throughout?

i remember from peewee football and in HS football, one of the top players on my team needed his inhaler........ do i feel it gave him an unfair advantage.... naw.. but im sure there's some cook that would think otherwise

Stewie
12-07-2006, 07:14 AM
I have no problem with suspending him.

When you start making excuses, you give cheaters multiple ways to mask cheating.

And there are plenty of people who are good enough to play in the NFL who never get a shot. Life happens.

Earthquake Enyart
12-07-2006, 08:25 AM

When you start making excuses, you give cheaters multiple ways to mask cheating.

And there are plenty of people who are good enough to play in the NFL who never get a shot. Life happens.
Right. Pretty soon everyone will have asthma.

ICE74129
12-07-2006, 08:29 AM

Its not an excuse, its a legit condition that the doctors that the NFL certifies as able to treat players on NFL Teams, says he can take and prescribed to him.

Saratoga Slim
12-07-2006, 08:41 AM
an inhaler isn't going to give him an advantge over other players. it'll simply help him to breathe like everyone else.

I don't know too much about testing, but if there's no way to distinguish between a positive for anabolic steroids and one for prescription asthma medication, that's a pretty unfortunate state of affairs for Hollis.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Right. Pretty soon everyone will have asthma.
Doctors do tests to verify whether or not you have asthma. It's not like 'x' player can just claim that he has asthma with no previous history of it.

This is called discrimination against people with disabilities. If the NFL does this, they are going to get rightfully SUED.

ICE74129
12-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Doctors do tests to verify whether or not you have asthma. It's not like 'x' player can just claim that he has asthma with no previous history of it.

This is called discrimination against people with disabilities. If the NFL does this, they are going to get rightfully SUED.

Exactly and its about time they do

Billsrock4life
12-07-2006, 01:04 PM
thats total bull......

NC-BILLS44
12-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Americans with Disabilities Act

Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which took effect July 26, 1992, prohibits private employers, state and local governments, employment agencies and labor unions from discriminating against qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, compensation, job training, and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment. An individual with a disability is a person who:

Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;
Has a record of such an impairment; or
Is regarded as having such an impairment.
A qualified employee or applicant with a disability is an individual who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job in question. Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to:

Making existing facilities used by employees readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities.
Job restructuring, modifying work schedules, reassignment to a vacant position;
Acquiring or modifying equipment or devices, adjusting modifying examinations, training materials, or policies, and providing qualified readers or interpreters.
An employer is required to make an accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or employee if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business. Undue hardship is defined as an action requiring significant difficulty or expense when considered in light of factors such as an employer's size, financial resources and the nature and structure of its operation.

An employer is not required to lower quality or production standards to make an accommodation, nor is an employer obligated to provide personal use items such as glasses or hearing aids.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-ada.html

Gunzlingr
12-07-2006, 01:53 PM
There is a huge difference between anabolic steroids and those used in asthma medication. I had problems with asthma in HS, and was on inhaled and oral steroids, and they do nothing to enhance performance.

NC-BILLS44
12-07-2006, 02:05 PM
When my son has a severe asthma attack, only the steriod version of his medication works.

We had to go the emergency room, when he was a toddler and the ER peds doctor wouldn't give him the steriods because he didn't want him to have the side affects of puffing up. I told him he needed to give him the steriods because we already knew, from previous experience, they would work. I would rather have a puffy looking child that can breathe than one not breathing. Finally, one of the nurses stepped up and convinced the doctor to prescribe the steriods.

After spending a good amount of time with a nebulizer that didn't fix the problem, and fighting with the doctor, the steriods worked wonders, just like we knew they would.

Historian
12-07-2006, 02:12 PM
There is a huge difference between anabolic steroids and those used in asthma medication. I had problems with asthma in HS, and was on inhaled and oral steroids, and they do nothing to enhance performance.

I don't know about that.

I was on them a few years back, and when I ran, I was literally sprinting during a three mile run.

When I finished I wasn't even winded. That's never happened to me before, in thirty years of running.

Once I was off them, it was back to plodding along like normal.

There is no doubt in my mind that it was the inhaled steroids.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Exactly, and I can sympathize with you and your child, and I understand where you guys are coming from NC-Bills44. I am a mild asthmatic myself and only the steroids worked for me. It's not like I am using them to become superman, moreso I'm using them so I don't keel over and die. I hope this guy sues, this is outrageous.

Stewie
12-07-2006, 02:44 PM
A steriod is a steriod is a steriod. Steroids are illegal in the NFL.

If this guy is going to sue anybody, maybe he should sue the team doctor for prescribing him a medication that cost Thomas 4 game checks.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't know about that.

I was on them a few years back, and when I ran, I was literally sprinting during a three mile run.

When I finished I wasn't even winded. That's never happened to me before, in thirty years of running.

Are you still on any medication for asthma? If not, it seems like you didn't have much of an issue with asthma to begin with. But for people with mild or severe asthma (like in this guys case.. ) these steroids are a necessity and should not be prohibited.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
A steriod is a steriod is a steriod. Steroids are illegal in the NFL.

If this guy is going to sue anybody, maybe he should sue the team doctor for prescribing him a medication that cost Thomas 4 game checks.

What a dick move. Put yourself in this guys shoes. If this man needs the steroids so he can breathe normal, what is the problem? I and along with NCBills44's son have experimented with all of these different drugs and medications and the steroids are the only thing that helped us. How can you not allow a person to work because of a disability? Just because it is illegal in the NFL, doesn't mean it is illegal in the United States of America, unless the NFL is above the law. If he takes this to court, there is no doubt in my mind he would win his case.

Stewie
12-07-2006, 04:26 PM
What a dick move. Put yourself in this guys shoes. If this man needs the steroids so he can breathe normal, what is the problem? I and along with NCBills44's son have experimented with all of these different drugs and medications and the steroids are the only thing that helped us. How can you not allow a person to work because of a disability? Just because it is illegal in the NFL, doesn't mean it is illegal in the United States of America, unless the NFL is above the law. If he takes this to court, there is no doubt in my mind he would win his case.

It comes down to "reasonable accommodation." If the guy can be reasonably accommodated (ie: take something for his asthma that isn't illegal in the NFL) then he has no case.

Either way, if they let him off the hook, there is no doubt in my mind that some doctors would incorrectly diagnose ailments to help players mask steroid use. There is too much money at stake to logically conclude otherwise.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2006, 04:49 PM
It comes down to "reasonable accommodation." If the guy can be reasonably accommodated (ie: take something for his asthma that isn't illegal in the NFL) then he has no case.

Either way, if they let him off the hook, there is no doubt in my mind that some doctors would incorrectly diagnose ailments to help players mask steroid use. There is too much money at stake to logically conclude otherwise.

I understand this statement, if he can be reasonably accomodated. However, this man has severe asthma. I have mild asthma and I still need these steroids to breathe right, and I don't do physical work 4 hours a day or more like he does. If he has tried other drugs and they work for him, fine. But if none of the other drugs work for him, like they didn't work for me, he should be permitted to take them.

I don't see this ever happening. With a little bit of investigation, like calling up the players previous doctors, you could find out in minutes if he has asthma. I would seriously doubt that doctors would prescribe players steroids that don't do anything for you unless you actually have asthma, especially with certain health risks. If you puff inhalers when you don't have asthma, it could shut down your heart. Why would a doctors risk: 1.) Losing his job with the NFL. 2.) Losing his practice permanently? 3.) Risk going to jail for this. Imagine if he prescribed these inhalant steroids to a person who doesn't have asthma, and he died. That is a murder charge. It doesn't make sense a doctor would do these things.

Stewie
12-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't see this ever happening. With a little bit of investigation, like calling up the players previous doctors, you could find out in minutes if he has asthma. I would seriously doubt that doctors would prescribe players steroids that don't do anything for you unless you actually have asthma, especially with certain health risks. If you puff inhalers when you don't have asthma, it could shut down your heart. Why would a doctors risk: 1.) Losing his job with the NFL. 2.) Losing his practice permanently? 3.) Risk going to jail for this. Imagine if he prescribed these inhalant steroids to a person who doesn't have asthma, and he died. That is a murder charge. It doesn't make sense a doctor would do these things.

In theory what you said is true, but team doctors for the Panthers were just recently caught prescribing steroids for some players. And I'm guessing they weren't the only folks who did it - just the doctors and players who got caught.

steve1873
12-07-2006, 05:31 PM
See its all the IOC bull ****. The IOC has become such tight asses over the steroid issue its screwing good people/ athletes.

There is a major difference between an ANABOLIC Steroid meant to enhance athletic peformance and a steroid for health conditions.

If these asses from the NFL were as up to speed on this subject and as smart as they THINK they are, this would be a non issue.

Personally I hope he sues the ever loving **** out of the NFL and makes it a federal case that could be heard before the Supreme court. The NFL is a mulit BILLION dollar industry and if they are this damn stupid they deserve to lose a nice chunk of money.

It never seems to amaze me how common sense is thrown out the window.

Good post. Guys aren't getting susupended for Sudafed. They just suspend and dull it down. Look as the size of these men. There has to be some of them on it that are going to get caught

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2006, 05:34 PM
In theory what you said is true, but team doctors for the Panthers were just recently caught prescribing steroids for some players. And I'm guessing they weren't the only folks who did it - just the doctors and players who got caught.

Wasn't that a doctor outside of the Panther organization? Also, some of the inhalant steroids used to treat asthma are easier to regulate. Once again, if a player fails a drug test and he says it is a result of his asthma medications, it would easily be verified or disclaimed.

To touch on the topic of a player shooting up steroids and then blaming it on asthma, that is a little harder to determine. I'm sure they could measure the testosterone levels or something of that nature because I'm sure that while inhalant steroids do show up on the drug test, they are not as potent as the ones you ingest or shoot up.

Ickybaluky
12-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Apparently, the basis for rejecting him was because they didn't believe his excuse, because the steriod he tested positive for were not the among those he was prescribed. Basically, his claim that the combination of medications he was taking caused a false positive was considered a load of crap.

This article provides detail:

LINK (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/sports/football/08steroids.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin)

If he had just test positive for abuterol, he would not have been bagged.

Bling
12-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I don't know about that.

Got to agree with him. My cousin was a fat chubby kid all through life. Picked on by everyone, until High School. He had some sort of severe case of asthama. I don't know what happened, exactly, but he went on to win all kinds of records in HS for NJ in the Javalein throw. Of course he has some good genetics from his dad, but he also shares the same genetics as me - the 120 lb 16 year old. We all really doubt he was naturally the strongest Javalein thrower in all of New Jersey.

Typ0
12-09-2006, 02:37 PM
A lot of people are far off the mark bashing on the NFL for this situation. The fact is he tested positive under the current documented rules and it's being treated appropriately. The player and the doctors know what substances are on the list and what's being tested for. If this player needed to use the substance for a health reason then the right move is to approach the league BEFORE BEING TESTED and tell them the situation and try and work with them...there also are other drugs that can be used. Both the team and the player in this situation we're skating around the NFL rules it doesn't matter what the reason he should be suspended just like any other player who tests positive.

dolphan117
12-09-2006, 04:55 PM
This is something that needs to be addressed outside the NFL IMO. Have some kind of third party medical mediator who can come in and evaluate the alleged violation or something. I mean I am all for punishing steroid users, heck I wouldn't mind seeing the suspension go from 4 games to 8, but these suspensions of people who are using necessary medicine really, really, need to stop. Damages the NFLs credibility in general and the steroid policy in general.

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Got to agree with him. My cousin was a fat chubby kid all through life. Picked on by everyone, until High School. He had some sort of severe case of asthama. I don't know what happened, exactly, but he went on to win all kinds of records in HS for NJ in the Javalein throw. Of course he has some good genetics from his dad, but he also shares the same genetics as me - the 120 lb 16 year old. We all really doubt he was naturally the strongest Javalein thrower in all of New Jersey.

It's okay Bling, you don't have to pick up an alias. Share your feelings with us! :D

Stewie
12-09-2006, 09:52 PM
I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO

hollis thomas is full of ****

from the new york times:

"Contrary to the explanation by New Orleans Saints defensive lineman Hollis Thomas that his positive drug test resulted from asthma medications, two football officials with knowledge of the case said a performance-enhancing drug was to blame."
"A drug test Aug. 7 found clenbuterol, a banned drug that helps burn fat and promotes muscle growth, in Thomas’s body."
“If Hollis Thomas was taking clenbuterol with the five or six asthma medications he was on, he probably would have had a heart attack,” Slavin said in a telephone message Thursday evening. “It doesn’t make sense for a guy to be taking clenbuterol, especially a guy of his size.”
"One football official, who was granted anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the case, said the drug found in Thomas’s system could not have resulted from a combination of the medications."

Yea, but doctors and NFL players are so happy just to be in the nfl, gosh darnit, they will never lie about something like asthma!!!

Typ0
12-09-2006, 11:09 PM
I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO

hollis thomas is full of ****

from the new york times:

"Contrary to the explanation by New Orleans Saints defensive lineman Hollis Thomas that his positive drug test resulted from asthma medications, two football officials with knowledge of the case said a performance-enhancing drug was to blame."
"A drug test Aug. 7 found clenbuterol, a banned drug that helps burn fat and promotes muscle growth, in Thomas’s body."
“If Hollis Thomas was taking clenbuterol with the five or six asthma medications he was on, he probably would have had a heart attack,” Slavin said in a telephone message Thursday evening. “It doesn’t make sense for a guy to be taking clenbuterol, especially a guy of his size.”
"One football official, who was granted anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the case, said the drug found in Thomas’s system could not have resulted from a combination of the medications."

Yea, but doctors and NFL players are so happy just to be in the nfl, gosh darnit, they will never lie about something like asthma!!!

that's what I was saying too...they knew the rules beforehand and they broke the rules. any after the fact banter is just that and a load of crap.