• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

What a crock

The Saints suffered a big blow to their defense Tuesday when they found out defensive tackle Hollis Thomas, who is having a career year, is being suspended for four games because he violated the league's steroid policy due to asthma medication he takes.

Thomas has been challenging the positive steroid test and had the support of the Saints. Thomas is a 335-pound defensive tackle who has struggled to keep his weight down and doesn't have the body that normally would be linked to steroids.

During his appeal, John Amoss, who is the Saints' team doctor and an assistant professor at the LSU Health Science Center, sent a letter to the league in support of Thomas. Amoss said Thomas has severe asthma problems and requires a high dose of inhaled steroids to breathe. According to the doctor, Thomas needs a long acting beta agonist and a short acting beta agonist to control his asthma.
    The Saints suffered a big blow to their defense Tuesday when they found out defensive tackle Hollis Thomas, who is having a career year, is being suspended for four games because he violated the league's steroid policy due to asthma medication he takes.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • spacecowboy
    • Sep 2006

Re: What a crock

Yeah I heard about this, just ridiculous.

Comment

• Devin
      The Octagon
      • Apr 2003

I could understand if it came from suppliments or whatever but friggin asthma medicine. Give me a break.
      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• evol4276
        • Oct 2005

i take that stuff... its freakin rediculous they GIVE you them at the hospital if you would have to go in for asthma-related problems. this is complete bull

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

Damn, they are playing the Cowboys this week, I wanted to see the Saints destroy them. Hopefully his backup can do it as well as he does.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
            Sab and TD are insignificant
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
            Damn, they are playing the Cowboys this week, I wanted to see the Saints destroy them. Hopefully his backup can do it as well as he does.
            Why can't they delay it like the NFL did for RoidBoy Merriman?
            www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

If indeed the meds made him piss hot, than it is a travesty. But what I will say is that if you have a health condition that is so bad that you have to take steroids so you don't die, you might want to find another career. It sucks but that's real life.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                • Mar 2003

That's silly. Lots of people have asthma, and take this steroid, what career should they look for?

"Sorry even though you are good enough to play in the NFL and make a million a year, you should go be a greeter at Walmart."
                Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
                  That's silly. Lots of people have asthma, and take this steroid, what career should they look for?

"Sorry even though you are good enough to play in the NFL and make a million a year, you should go be a greeter at Walmart."
                  He had the opportunity to get a college degree, most likely for free. Did he?
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                    • Mar 2004

That is really bad, asthma medication??? When Sammy Morris served his 4 game suspension earlier this season, it was due to him taking Sudafed for his cold. He now says when he gets a cold, he'll stick to taking vitamin C and drinking a lot of ornage juice as well.

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

I am unsure about all of these players pissing hot for working out too hard while taking creatine, sipping on some Sudafed, and asthma medication. I have a hard time believing that the NFL would suspend someone for these rediculous ideas. If it were that easy to be tarnished and labled as a cheater, I think the NFLPA would raise their voice. I think there is more than meets the eye in some of these cases, and what is said is the fact that we will probably never know the true story.

I am pretty sure if the NFL could prove that someone who pissed hot because of caugh medicine would allow that person to play. And I am guessing since the player's were suspended that the NFL couldn't prove that the guy wasn't cheating.

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

See its all the IOC bull ****. The IOC has become such tight asses over the steroid issue its screwing good people/ athletes.

There is a major difference between an ANABOLIC Steroid meant to enhance athletic peformance and a steroid for health conditions.

If these asses from the NFL were as up to speed on this subject and as smart as they THINK they are, this would be a non issue.

Personally I hope he sues the ever loving **** out of the NFL and makes it a federal case that could be heard before the Supreme court. The NFL is a mulit BILLION dollar industry and if they are this damn stupid they deserve to lose a nice chunk of money.

It never seems to amaze me how common sense is thrown out the window.

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                          I am unsure about all of these players pissing hot for working out too hard while taking creatine, sipping on some Sudafed, and asthma medication. I have a hard time believing that the NFL would suspend someone for these rediculous ideas. If it were that easy to be tarnished and labled as a cheater, I think the NFLPA would raise their voice. I think there is more than meets the eye in some of these cases, and what is said is the fact that we will probably never know the true story.

I am pretty sure if the NFL could prove that someone who pissed hot because of caugh medicine would allow that person to play. And I am guessing since the player's were suspended that the NFL couldn't prove that the guy wasn't cheating.
                          See here is what you are missing, the STANDARD established by the IOC (which is what the NFL Uses ) Is pure and absolute crap. I have been drug tested several times in the sports I have competed in. Hell I was with Shane Hammond down in OKC working on some olympic lifts and the IOC Bastards came in and demanded a test from him right then! he laughed and said its no big deal, that one day they waited for him after church let out!

The problem is the STANDARD they use to test. ANY trace of anything that can give you any boost at all and you are busted. Go check out the standards they are flat assinine. Hell if you go to a meet of any sort where the USOC or the IOC is testing and you had too much coffee that morning, and you will test positive!

A major org like the NFLPA needs to file a federal suit against the NFL and the IOC standards and force them to be changed

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
                            See here is what you are missing, the STANDARD established by the IOC (which is what the NFL Uses ) Is pure and absolute crap. I have been drug tested several times in the sports I have competed in. Hell I was with Shane Hammond down in OKC working on some olympic lifts and the IOC Bastards came in and demanded a test from him right then! he laughed and said its no big deal, that one day they waited for him after church let out!

The problem is the STANDARD they use to test. ANY trace of anything that can give you any boost at all and you are busted. Go check out the standards they are flat assinine. Hell if you go to a meet of any sort where the USOC or the IOC is testing and you had too much coffee that morning, and you will test positive!

A major org like the NFLPA needs to file a federal suit against the NFL and the IOC standards and force them to be changed
                            if the NFL has adopted the same guidelines as olympic testing than whoever pisses hot for coffee is doomed and there ain't **** they can do about it. Obviously, the NFLPA and owners agreed on whatever it is they agreed on so I don't see why he would have a legitimate arguement.

However I will say IMO, I think the NFL drug testing program sucks ass and should be reviewed and changed. And I understand the different types of steroids and what they are used for. In the Army, we are testing for steroids now and one of my soldiers came up hot, but since he was prescribed them to help diagnose a possibel problem, we was off the hook. The NFL needs to review each test individually and go from there.

I am sure BuffaloRanger knows a thing or two about steroids!

disclaimer to above statement - It's cool with me! lol

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                              If indeed the meds made him piss hot, than it is a travesty. But what I will say is that if you have a health condition that is so bad that you have to take steroids so you don't die, you might want to find another career. It sucks but that's real life.
                              I wouldnt pass up an opportunity to play in the NFL. I'm sure he's got a lot of medical supervision and some of the top doctors monitoring him.

And the "health condition that is so bad that you have to take steroid so you don't die" kind of sounds misleading. I have asthma, but it's nothing serious. If I was 300+ pounds and playing in the NFL, even a minor asthma condition requires attention. I would guess that his condition otherwise (outside of the NFL) probally isn't that bad.

But again, he has a lot of medical attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X