PDA

View Full Version : Who does the NFL want to win the SB?

BuffaloRanger
12-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Clearly the NFL is fixed. Certain teams win with the benefit of several officiating calls or non-calls. Then the media claims that "it was ugly but they found a way to win".

Case in point, Bills vs Chargers this week. Hockulee was horrible, but bet me right now that he won't be officiating the SuperBowl. Quid Pro Quo Clarice.

Look at the Colts/Steelers playoff game last year. Didn't it look like the refs were biased against the Steelers. Could the NFL front office have told or insinuated to the Head Ref that the Colts should win? They tried everything to give that game to the Colts.

There will always be fans that won't even consider that in a billion dollar business, executives might not want the outcomes of certain games left up to chance. In most (not all) NFL games if you watch objectively you can see the calls and more importantly non-calls going in favor of a certain team.

So I ask again, who does the NFL want to win the SuperBowl this year? If it was the Chargers vs the Patriots in the AFC championship game which team would have the more favorable calls and non-calls go their way?

Even if you don't believe the NFL is capable of this, at least give your opinion on the above game, if only for entertainment purposes.

LarryBoy
12-06-2006, 04:50 AM
Gotta tell ya, it makes me wonder.

I've had many of conversations on this subjuct after the last super dud bowl and the best conclusion we could come up with is that there sure is a hell of alotta money bet on these games, esp playoffs - and money talks.

I could see the NFL helping the Saints out a bit in the NFC, sure would make a nice story.

Makes me wonder...that's all.

YardRat
12-06-2006, 05:31 AM
New England.

A fourth Super Bowl for Brady is going to be Tag's reitrement gift.

ICE74129
12-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Nah the NFL knows they need a new team from a marketing standpoint. It will be the chargers.

jamze132
12-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Considering the recent events in Louisiana, it would look good to ensure NO gets the ring, but I don't know if the NFL can help them as much as needed considering the Cowboys are playing lights out right now.

Of course the Cowboy's are "America's Team" and we are at war.

Obviously the Patriots for the simple fact that they were chosen as the "Golden team" after 9/11.

Maybe the Colts since Peyton Manning deserves a ring. It just didn't work out that way last year since Bettis decided he wanted to retire.

Maybe the Chargers? But I just don't see LT and his 30+ TDs he will score this year can trump NO, NE, Dal, and Ind.

The Bears? Not sure if they can make Grossman look good enough.

Night Train
12-06-2006, 07:30 AM
I really don't blame you for posing the question that way.

After this last owners meeting prior to this season, I'm starting to believe it's all about promoting certain teams which return the greatest financial windfall to the League accounts.

Look at the abnormal schedule we were given, after Wilson voted no. Four home games after Thanksgiving and then ask our small market fans why they aren't buying tickets. :shakeno:

Integrity seems to be for sale.

jamze132
12-06-2006, 07:40 AM
I really don't blame you for posing the question that way.

After this last owners meeting prior to this season, I'm starting to believe it's all about promoting certain teams which return the greatest financial windfall to the League accounts.

Look at the abnormal schedule we were given, after Wilson voted no. Four home games after Thanksgiving and then ask our small market fans why they aren't buying tickets. :shakeno:

Integrity seems to be for sale.
Back in the day when we had a great team, we always sold out our games in the snow. It was our advantage to have that weather. Hell, up until last year, Miami cried about always having to play in the cold at Ralph Wilson Stadium. I don't think the weather has much of an effect of whether or not the Bills sell out a game. I think it's the product on the field.

Bufftp
12-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't believe the NFL is fixed.
Officials are human, and errors even out during the season.
Especially the non-calls. We remember the non-calls that should go in our favor, but we forget about the ones that should have been called against us. As fans we end up with a skewed perspective.

BillsNick
12-06-2006, 07:58 AM
I think that they have multiple teams that they want to win. This is what I think they are in order:

1. New England - The love affair with Tom Brady won't end until he retires.

2. Colts - The NFL really wants their poster boy Manning to win his first SB

3. Chargers - The NFL loves these guys.

4. Dallas - Nothing needs to be said here.

Historian
12-06-2006, 08:03 AM
All you have to do is re-watch last year's SB to see the bias.

OpIv37
12-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Someone (I think Pride) posted a long thread about this a while back. Basically he said the NFL isn't exactly fixed, but the league has preferred outcomes and encourages the referees to make calls as such. Hence, big money/popular teams get favorable calls while teams on the brink or teams from smaller markets don't get the calls.

It does make sense. It would be nearly impossible to truly fix a football game- there would have to be too many people involved and someone would blow the whistle. Plus, you can never guarantee that someone won't accidentally fumble, drop a pass etc. on the team that's supposed to win.

But giving teams a slight advantage with favorable calls- that would only require a few officials (*cough- ED HOCHULI-*cough). You wouldn't even need the entire officiating crew to go along with it- just the head ref and 2 more.

Earthquake Enyart
12-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Rank the teams by market size. That's the order that they favor.

Night Train
12-06-2006, 08:17 AM
I don't think the weather has much of an effect of whether or not the Bills sell out a game. I think it's the product on the field.

Not argument here but we are defintely in a rebuilding phase and the schedule given to us was never going to result in selling out all 8 games. The " Where are the fans ? " threads here are beyond comical.

With less income and already with limited revenue due to market size, how can we compete long term with the big boys of the NFL ? We can't give the blockbuster deals others can and taking away prime home dates from a rebuilding team in the North only hurts us from turning the tables. How can we re-sign what few good players we have, if the income isn't there ?

This 2006 schedule did hurt us at the gate and there are some long term ramifications from it. The NFL did stick it to us.

Gunzlingr
12-06-2006, 08:17 AM
I predicted that NE would win after 9/11 (as a joke at the time), and they the refs and the sudden emergence of the tuck rule handed them the Superbowl. I definitely think that the league has the officials influence game outcomes. I wouldn't be surprised if NO wins it all this year after Katrina. Just like we all knew that we would lose their first 'home' game last year.

Mr. Miyagi
12-06-2006, 08:22 AM
When was the last time a NYC team was even in the SB? Oh yeah, the Giants got creamed in 2000.

Night Train
12-06-2006, 08:23 AM

I'm starting to believe that. Except for certain circumstances.

This year, they are praying the Saints (no pun intended) are the chosen ones.

ublinkwescore
12-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Nah the NFL knows they need a new team from a marketing standpoint. It will be the chargers.

See the Chargers' lucky call against Oakland the week before they played us.

RBI90
12-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Does anyone have any actual proof of this, or is it all speculation? I looked at other teams message boards especially other teams with losing records or small market teams, and no one else is theorizing about this conspiracy.

LTforMVP
12-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have any actual proof of this, or is it all speculation? I looked at other teams message boards especially other teams with losing records or small market teams, and no one else is theorizing about this conspiracy.

Don't ruin a good thread by asking for facts or proof. The pure victim mentality of the fans in this thread is so hilarious I wouldnt want you to ruin it.

Ickybaluky
12-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Don't ruin a good thread by asking for facts or proof. The pure victim mentality of the fans in this thread is so hilarious I wouldnt want you to ruin it.

Proof...

Isn't that what Terrence Keil's pharmacist is providing?

Typ0
12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
I would guess the league wants to see Colts VS Chargers for the marketing value.

the team that will get Jobed the most in the process with be the Saints who are playing well and have the talent to win it but won't because the NFL wants the franchise to go somewhere else.

The entire playoffs last year were a joke. Refs decided multiple games with the Indy pitt game and the SB being the worst. The stuck it to the steelers in the championship game and then the next day came out and said "it was a poorly officiated game no harm no foul" and then the SB was the worst screwed up game i have ever seen and they said nothing because the losing team is the one that got screwed.

Michael82
12-06-2006, 05:03 PM
If the NFL is fixed....it will be either the Saints or Chargers IMO. Both of those would be big stories and would make those cities pay a lot to keep their teams. :ill:

I'm going to say that the New Orleans Saints will win the Super Bowl in Miami. :shocked:

Typ0
12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
If the NFL is fixed....it will be either the Saints or Chargers IMO. Both of those would be big stories and would make those cities pay a lot to keep their teams. :ill:

I'm going to say that the New Orleans Saints will win the Super Bowl in Miami. :shocked:

that franchise is on the edge and worth much more to the NFL in another market. I don't see them winning it.

Mad Bomber
12-06-2006, 08:30 PM
All you have to do is re-watch last year's SB to see the bias. I remember all too well...that's why I made this avatar for January (notice that the logo is properly placed on only one side of the officials' headgear)...

BuffaloRanger
12-06-2006, 10:51 PM

The only proof would be an NFL ref going on 6o Minutes and admitting the NFL told him to look closer at certain teams. That ain't going to happen. If there was proof it would destroy the integrity of the NFL. It would be much worse than any work stoppage or strike. Anyone involved I'm sure knows they would never be "allowed" to talk.

Because most fans won't (or don't want to) even consider the possibility despite the circumstantial evidence, the NFL always has plausible deniability. The media would never be able to even talk about it for fear of lawsuit. It's a theory based on evidence on the field. If Chargers fans looked at it objectively they would admit they had had several calls go their way last sunday. The clip on the KO return, no PI, no roughing ing the kicker, to name a few. We Bills fans see it almost every week. And I will be the first to admit that there have been games where the calls all went the Bills way. Certain teams have to lose to assist the playoff hopes of other teams. This "fixing" isn't meant to crush teams into 4-12 seasons but to raise certain teams up.

The Bills are not that good of a team to overcome several bad calls. And the Chargers still only beat them by a FG? How embarrassing for them is that? It's obvious that they won't be able to recover from a few bad calls against them in the playoffs. And on that day I'll be visiting the Chargers message boards and reading this "NFL is fixed theory" there I'm sure.

"The truth shall set you free."

RBI90
12-07-2006, 07:33 AM
The only proof would be an NFL ref going on 6o Minutes and admitting the NFL told him to look closer at certain teams. That ain't going to happen. If there was proof it would destroy the integrity of the NFL. It would be much worse than any work stoppage or strike. Anyone involved I'm sure knows they would never be "allowed" to talk.

Because most fans won't (or don't want to) even consider the possibility despite the circumstantial evidence, the NFL always has plausible deniability. The media would never be able to even talk about it for fear of lawsuit. It's a theory based on evidence on the field. If Chargers fans looked at it objectively they would admit they had had several calls go their way last sunday. The clip on the KO return, no PI, no roughing ing the kicker, to name a few. We Bills fans see it almost every week. And I will be the first to admit that there have been games where the calls all went the Bills way. Certain teams have to lose to assist the playoff hopes of other teams. This "fixing" isn't meant to crush teams into 4-12 seasons but to raise certain teams up.

The Bills are not that good of a team to overcome several bad calls. And the Chargers still only beat them by a FG? How embarrassing for them is that? It's obvious that they won't be able to recover from a few bad calls against them in the playoffs. And on that day I'll be visiting the Chargers message boards and reading this "NFL is fixed theory" there I'm sure.

"The truth shall set you free."

Has this conspiracy always been around? Was is around when the Bills were on top of the AFC? Did the Patriots rise occur because of 9-11? If so, why not the Giants, Jets or Redskins instead?

Regarding the Chargers, from 2000-2003, they were 18-46, then in 2004 they had a breakthough year and finished 12-4. After years of mediocrity did the NFL decide then that they were going to help the Chargers?

In the Chargers-Bills game, the Chargers won by 3 points. If a team gives the other team the ball on the 19 (Rivers fumble) and the 13 (kick return) it's hard to stop them from scoring at all. So what you're saying is that at that point the game was too close and the refs purposely missed calls or called against the Bills to ensure that the Bills would lose?

Is this the same NFL that helped the Colts lose to the Titans and almost lose to the Bills?

Do the Bills organization feel the same way? Why hasn't the Bills or any independant organization called for an investigation? Why call your State representatives and Senators to investigate the obvious injustice here?

rockforlight
12-07-2006, 10:50 AM
The NFL is not truly fixed, and you all know it. there may be a few preferential elements here and there but it's not full on rigged.

the players themselves, can't be involved. because the lower paid players would blow the whistle on it all so they are still playing their hardest to win.

the refs, again. they would need to be making millions (as much, if not more than the actual players) behind the scenes for this to be possible.

the league would have been blackmailed and exposed by now if it were truly "rigged," and if that ever happened, the league would collapse.

and variables. you can't rig dropped passes, fumbles, game-changing injuries, etc.

i think the nfl definitely has a bias, and at times some calls seem questionable, a couple of the refs may be pawns of the league office, but if you look at it objectively, it usually evens out and i think overall it's just human error even across the board.