X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

JP vs. the field

Here is a list of all the current starting QB's in the NFL (as well as their backups if the current "normal" starter is hurt), and a few extra guys thrown in there for good measure - just because their names are always brought up.

I broke them down into four categories, all relative to how I'd feel about having them on the Bills right now and for the immediate future, compared to JP Losman.

Read and discuss, and make your own if you want:

No brainers - rather have him than JP

Tom Brady
    Carson Palmer
    Peyton Manning
    Trent Green
    Donovan McNabb - I'm assuming he comes back healthy
    Drew Brees
    Michael Vick - Yeah, yeah, he can't pass. He has some extreme lows, but he can still win games all by himself.
    Matt Hasselbeck
    Marc Bulger

Close, but rather have him than JP

Steve McNair - He's only had a couple bad games this year. Other than that, he's been money, is tough as nails and wins. He'd be a definite if he wasn't almost 34.
    Ben Roethlisberger - Well, he does have that shiny thing on his finger, although it's looking less and less shiny lately.
    David Carr - He's better than his record and/or numbers, and he's still young with a lot of experience and a big-time arm. I think he's a much better QB in a different situation. We may find that out.
    Eli Manning - I'll keep him here for now, but his stock is dropping fast.
    Rex Grossman - Even if he's somewhere in the middle of his start and his last few games, he's still been better than JP. And I can't argue with 10-2.
    Brian Griese - He should have been starting in Chicago from day one.
    Jake Delhomme - He's close to falling behind JP. He's costing his team games this season and will be 31 next month. That's not that old, but I wonder if he's turned a horrible corner for himself.
    Chris Simms - (assuming he's healthy). He led his team to the playoffs last season. He was starting to play better before the injury and will continue to get better. But this is very tough. JP may wind up being better. I could put him on either list.

Close, but rather have JP

Chad Pennington - pop gun arm could fall off at any minute.
    David Garrard - this is a tough call, but Garrard just looks like a stop-gap to me. Any length of playing time and he gets exposed. He's extremely inconsistent.
    Damon Huard - OK, he played well when he filled in. But he's still Damon Huard.
    Jake Plummer - Why get rid of a 25-year old JP for a 32 year-old JP?
    Jeff Garcia - (See: Plummer, Jake....but add four years).
    Brett Favre - It's only in the "close" column because he's still John Wayne in a helmet.
    Jon Kitna - I like the guy and always have. But he's not getting any better than he is now. He's hit his ceiling.
    Alex Smith - Tough call. JP's been better, but not a lot better.
    Seneca Wallace - I'd like to have him on the Bills..........to play WR.
    Charlie Frye - Might not be in this category if he cut down his INT's.

No brainer - rather have JP

Drew Bledsoe
    Joey Harrington
    Daunte Culpepper
    Byron Leftwich
    Aaron Brooks
    Mark Brunell
    Brad Johnson

Jury still out - not enough info yet (less than 10 career starts and others)

Vince Young
    Matt Leinart
    Tomo Romo
    Jason Campbell
    Matt Schaub - Don't give me that crap about how great he is. Rob Johnson was great for one game before we grabbed him. I want to see him play a little.
    Bruce Gradkowski - This kid has a pretty good future.........but not in Tampa.
    Jay Cutler
    Philip Rivers

Did I forget anyone?

I automatically dismissed any QB that has not yet started 10 NFL games (and Rivers who has just a few more). So, these guys went to the "jury is still out" list regardless of my feelings on them as to avoid any bias.

I think this list is amazingly different now compared to what it would have looked like last season at this time.
    Last edited by Coach Sal; 12-06-2006, 06:42 AM.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: JP vs. the field

I would take Rivers, Young and Pennington over JP. No question I also think Damon Huard is a better option.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

That is a lot of work you did.

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Coach Sal
        Here is a list of all the current starting QB's in the NFL (as well as their backups if the current "normal" starter is hurt), and a few extra guys thrown in there for good measure - just because their names are always brought up.

I broke them down into four categories, all relative to how I'd feel about having them on the Bills right now and for the immediate future, compared to JP Losman.

Tom Brady
        Carson Palmer
        Peyton Manning
        Trent Green
        Drew Brees
        Michael Vick - Yeah, yeah, he can't pass. He has some extreme lows, but he can still win games all by himself.
        Matt Hasselbeck
        Marc Bulger

Steve McNair - He's only had a couple bad games this year. Other than that, he's been money, is tough as nails and wins. He'd be a definite if he wasn't almost 34.
        Ben Roethlisberger - Well, he does have that shiny thing on his finger, although it's looking less and less shiny lately.
        David Carr - He's better than his record and/or numbers, and he's still young with a lot of experience and a big-time arm. I think he's a much better QB in a different situation. We may find that out.
        Rex Grossman - Even if he's somewhere in the middle of his start and his last few games, he's still been better than JP. And I can't argue with 10-2.
        Jake Delhomme - He's close to falling behind JP. He's costing his team games this season and will be 31 next month. That's not that old, but I wonder if he's turned a horrible corner for himself.
        Chris Simms - (assuming he's healthy). He led his team to the playoffs last season. He was starting to play better before the injury and will continue to get better. But this is very tough. JP may wind up being better. I could put him on either list.

David Garrard - this is a tough call, but Garrard just looks like a stop-gap to me. Any length of playing time and he gets exposed. He's extremely inconsistent.
        Brett Favre - It's only in the "close" column because he's still John Wayne in a helmet.
        Jon Kitna - I like the guy and always have. But he's not getting any better than he is now. He's hit his ceiling.

Drew Bledsoe
        Joey Harrington
        Daunte Culpepper
        Byron Leftwich
        Aaron Brooks
        Mark Brunell
        Brad Johnson

Vince Young
        Matt Leinart
        Tomo Romo
        Jason Campbell
        Matt Schaub - Don't give me that crap about how great he is. Rob Johnson was great for one game before we grabbed him. I want to see him play a little.
        Jay Cutler
        Philip Rivers

Did I forget anyone?

I automatically dismissed any QB that has not yet started 10 NFL games (and Rivers who has just a few more). So, these guys went to the "jury is still out" list regardless of my feelings on them as to avoid any bias.

I think this list is amazingly different now compared to what it would have looked like last season at this time.
        I may not agree but very thorough and well thought out

I think JP looks strikingly similar to Crason Palmer in his first full year as the starter. If you remember, Cinnci played the QB carousel game with Kitna and Carson, then Carson came on.

I think JP will take the next step to one of the leagues better QB's when the supporting cast gets better. Im hoping thats what happens anyways.

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by jp-era
          I may not agree but very thorough and well thought out

I think JP will take the next step to one of the leagues better QB's when the supporting cast gets better. Im hoping thats what happens anyways.

I hope you are right.

Comment

• RockStar36
            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Coach Sal

Tom Brady
            Carson Palmer
            Peyton Manning
            Trent Green
            Drew Brees
            Matt Hasselbeck
            Marc Bulger

Drew Bledsoe
            Joey Harrington
            Daunte Culpepper
            Byron Leftwich
            Aaron Brooks
            Mark Brunell
            Brad Johnson

Vince Young
            Matt Leinart
            Tomo Romo
            Jason Campbell
            Jay Cutler
            Philip Rivers

Did I forget anyone?

I'd take Bulger and Vick off the first list.

I'd take Big Ben, Carr, and Rex off the second list.

And I'd move Romo and possibly Rivers up the list. I'd like to see how Rivers would do without LT in the backfield. That is a HUGE advantage.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

I would take every single guy off the jury still out list ahead of JP except for Campbell and Gradkowski.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                I would take every single guy off the jury still out list ahead of JP except for Campbell and Gradkowski.
                Why Schaub? What has he done? Same with Young or Leinart.

I disagree with Vick. Yes, he wins games for Atlanta, but he also loses them. Maybe in the close category, but not a definite. And I think after this week you might drop Eli and maybe Grossman.

But, as usual a great job Coach. Give JP some more seasoning and work and he might move up even more.
                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  Why Schaub? What has he done? Same with Young or Leinart.

I disagree with Vick. Yes, he wins games for Atlanta, but he also loses them. Maybe in the close category, but not a definite. And I think after this week you might drop Eli and maybe Grossman.

But, as usual a great job Coach. Give JP some more seasoning and work and he might move up even more.
                  I guess you haven't seen Vince Young win the last two games.

Leinart is obviously way better than JP. So is Schab.

Comment

• RockStar36
                    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                    • Sep 2004

How is Schaub better? Seriously. How can you honestly say that?

And Young has shown potential but he can think his kicker for the last game. If anything it was going to be a 17-17 game going to OT before Dungy called that last timeout. I think the Bills could've beaten the Colts if the coaches gameplan didn't set the team up to lose.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                      I guess you haven't seen Vince Young win the last two games.

Leinart is obviously way better than JP. So is Schab.
                      Did you see JP "win" two straight games too?

If you use wins and losses as your way of evaluation, then Leinart is way below JP, as he has been a starter for one win.

So why is Schaub "obviously" better than JP? Share with us why that is so.
                      Originally posted by mysticsoto
                      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

the question is, who in that list would've thrived under the circumstances JP has been subjected to since he was drafted? A lot of QB in that list would've been dead.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by jp-era
                          I think JP looks strikingly similar to Crason Palmer in his first full year as the starter. If you remember, Cinnci played the QB carousel game with Kitna and Carson, then Carson came on.
                          You are smoking crack if anything about JP reminds you of Carson Palmer, who couldn't be more dissimilar.

He wasn't on any QB carousel with Kitna. Palmer's rookie season was spent as a backup to Kitna, and he never threw a pass. Palmer then was made the starter from day one in his second season, and improved through the year before getting hurt after playing 13 games.

In his first 7 games starting Palmer struggled going 136-for-247 (55%), 1468 Yds, 5.9 Yds/Att, 5 TD, 10 Int, 62.6 QB Rating

In his next 6 games before getting hurt he went 127-for-185 (69%), 1429 Yds, 7.7 Yds/Att, 13 TD, 8 Int, 96.9 QB Rating

It took Palmer less than half a season for the light to come on and show he is an elite player. J.P. is a 3rd year rookie with 20 starts and still hasn't shown that kind of ability.

Comment

• The King
                            Without me it's just Awe so
                            • Jun 2004

Schaub shredded a NE defense for 300 yards if I recall. It would be nice to have a QB do that for us twice a year.
                            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                            It was all
                            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              Did you see JP "win" two straight games too?

If you use wins and losses as your way of evaluation, then Leinart is way below JP, as he has been a starter for one win.

So why is Schaub "obviously" better than JP? Share with us why that is so.
                              It's all opinion. I think that Schaub is a better QB than JP based upon what I've seen with my 30+ years of experience watching football.

Young and Leinart are certainly way way better.

Comment

Working...
                              X