PDA

View Full Version : Wire to LB could de a BAD move...

bigbub2352
12-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Coy Wire is to start at LB for injured Crowell for the rest of the season, Now here is were it gets ugly, this is a guy who played LB in college 4 years ago and hasnt played there 1 time in the NFL, he is extremely undersized and was horrible in pass coverage as a SS and FS, he makes occasional plays on ST but u can usually see him pushed around by blockers

He is too small to play LB in the NFL, and we have a budding rookie with potential no riding the pine in Keith Ellison, this move makes no sense to me what so ever, why not give the reps to someone who actually has a future in the NFL at the positon of to someone who has been here for 4 years in Mario Haggan, or why waste a roster spot on John Digorgio and not let the kid play to see what he has,

To play Coy here could be another bad move by the coaching staff Wire gets engulfed by blockers and is a porr open feild one on one tackler as he has proved many times while playin SS, also he is extremely slow to react in passing situations hence being benched in favor of rookie Whitner in the first game of the season

he will be a liability in the run game when those big Guards come after him to block or even tacking on the FB, he is only 218lbs that is real small for a division 3 LB

We will see, My opinion give the snaps to the rookies let them get the experience Ellision, and Digorgio, need it and we need to see if they are gonna be players or next years camp fodder, which if i am not mistaken was suppossed to be what Coy Wire was

OpIv37
12-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Could be? He's a 205 lb S who can hit but can't cover playing LB in a defensive system that heavily utilizes LB in pass coverage.

It has disaster written all over it.

btw, where did you get 218? I checked the roster on BB.com and they had him as 205.

justasportsfan
12-06-2006, 08:52 AM
we've got nothing to lose by putting him there. We've already established that he isn't gonna be a starter at safety. We need to find out if he can add depth to the lb'ing position. If he can add depth than that's awsome to go along with safety and ST.

No one knows for sure if Spikes is gonna ever be what he once was. We're not sure if Fletcher is gonna be here. I don't have a problem with exploring other alternatives in the lb'er position. We won't know if he can hack it unless we try. I liked Eliison and if he's out future then he shouldn't have a problem beating out Wire or Visa-versa.

Zach Thomas was supposedly small and so was Fletcher. I don't think Wire will ever be in their class but like I said, it's always good to know where we have depth. Part of rebuilding in the first year is evaluating the players we have. Who we keep and who we let go. If we didn't try this approach, we would never have had Peters at LT.

Dr. Lecter
12-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Coy Wire is not 205.

The new system depends on LB's being smaller and quicker. Before we crap all over the guy. let's give him a chance. I doubt the coaches are sitting there putting the less talented guy in the line-up. Also Ellison has been injured the last few weeks. Digorgio plays inside, so he is not a candidate.

Night Train
12-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Another off-season is needed to solidify our overall roster.

This move is proof positive.

HAMMER
12-06-2006, 09:22 AM
On Tomlinsons long TD run they went to Wire's side and he got completely engulfed by a WR and was taken out of the play, this is what sprung LT. We are in trouble if he is the "answer".

M
12-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Well, they did just sign Roy Manning but I doubt he's going to play this Sunday. Why sign him then with 4 games left to go?

bigbub2352
12-06-2006, 10:19 AM
I got 218 from the buffalonews article saying he added bulk in the offseason, I also thin kthe ROy Manning signing was a good one, young loads of potential and played at Mich he was decent there, I guess more of what i am tryin to say is that they should play Keith or Digirio to see what they got even if Jon is inside also Mario Haggan anything but Coy, he has proven time and time again in 4 years why he is just a ST and average at that as well..

Utility man gets the call (http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20061206/1023263.asp?tbd1023263.asp)
Buffalo News reports: '"Even when I was playing strong safety, I felt like I had a linebacker mentality," said Wire, who led Stanford in tackles his last two years there. "I've always been an aggressive, attacking style of player. That's just my natural instinct going back to my wrestling days. Even going back to college, I always loved playing linebacker."'

OpIv37
12-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Buffalo News reports: '"Even when I was playing strong safety, I felt like I had a linebacker mentality,"

hey dip****, maybe that's why you suck at S. Maybe you should play it with, I don't know, a DB mentality? Just a thought.

bigbub2352
12-06-2006, 11:55 AM
sums up the move

Earthquake Enyart
12-06-2006, 12:01 PM
They play the LB's 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. Size doesn't matter.

HHURRICANE
12-06-2006, 01:05 PM
This just in: Ashton Youbouty moved to DT to help shore up the run!!

"The 6-foot, 218-pound Wire is not a prototypical linebacker. But in the Bills' defense, size is not as important as speed, instincts and lateral quickness."

HHURRICANE
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
This just in: Ashton Youbouty moved to DT to help shore up the run!!

"The 6-foot, 218-pound Wire is not a prototypical linebacker. But in the Bills' defense, size is not as important as speed, instincts and lateral quickness."

"But in the Bills defense, stopping the run is impossible so the smaller they are the more irrelevant it is anyway."

bigbub2352
12-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I played division 3 football LB, and let me tell anyone who doesnt believe that size matters when someone like damion shelton who is 260lbs hits u and u go flyin 5 yards back, or a lineman who outweighs u by 100lbs comes over and gentley moves u out of the way, at LB u need to be able to shed blocks and absorbs hits fill the gaps plug holes, not get thrown into the stands, they should let Keith Ellison play he needs the work Coy is a bum

raphael120
12-06-2006, 01:34 PM
im drivin up to buffalo right now to get in line! apparently ANYONE can be a buffalo bill if they just put there mind to it! YAY!!!

HHURRICANE
12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
I played division 3 football LB, and let me tell anyone who doesnt believe that size matters when someone like damion shelton who is 260lbs hits u and u go flyin 5 yards back, or a lineman who outweighs u by 100lbs comes over and gentley moves u out of the way, at LB u need to be able to shed blocks and absorbs hits fill the gaps plug holes, not get thrown into the stands, they should let Keith Ellison play he needs the work Coy is a bum

And Hargrove's exuberance on occasion has led to the splattering of more than just the opponent. During Buffalo's home game against Green Bay, shortly after making a play in coverage on special teams, Coy Wirehttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4465#) made his way to the sideline. Coming straight at him was Hargrove who jumped off the sideline and in an effort to congratulate Wire for his play went to give him a chest bump. The only problem was it was a very, very emphatic chest bump.
"He went to give me the chest bump and the next thing I know I was looking up at the lights," said Wire who was knocked flat on his back. "I told him, 'That's the hardest I've been hit all year.' You've got to love his passion and the energy he brings. He obviously loves what he does. That's good to see because you don't see that all too often in the NFL."

Lee-83 posted this quote. That's our newest LB!!!

Earthquake Enyart
12-06-2006, 02:30 PM
I feel better about Wire dropping back into a zone that I do about seeing Wire chase WR's.

Against the run we're screwed. But we were before too.

Saratoga Slim
12-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I feel better about Wire dropping back into a zone that I do about seeing Wire chase WR's.

Against the run we're screwed. But we were before too.

that's where I'm at. If Coy's going to suck, he might as well do his sucking at a position he's more comfortable sucking at. We've got nothing to lose at this point in trying him back at his traditional position to see if he has more value there.

I just hope this move means that Ellison is still not healthy, and not that Ellison does not have the coaches' confidence.

Forward_Lateral
12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
The Run D has been allowing a zillion yards a game, so I don't see how it can possibly get any worse. If Wire sucks, we won't really notice, if he plays well, we will, and the Bills will have, at worst, more LB depth for next season. I think it's a great move by Jauron and Fewell. They have nothing to lose, really, and everything to gain.

Forward_Lateral
12-06-2006, 02:58 PM
that's where I'm at. If Coy's going to suck, he might as well do his sucking at a position he's more comfortable sucking at. We've got nothing to lose at this point in trying him back at his traditional position to see if he has more value there.

I just hope this move means that Ellison is still not healthy, and not that Ellison does not have the coaches' confidence.

I'm pretty sure I read that Ellison is still not 100%. He had a deep bone bruise or something like that. I think they (coaches) are being extra-precautious with him, which is good.

ParanoidAndroid
12-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Wire played some at LB this past Sunday and apparently, the coaches liked what they saw from him.

THATHURMANATOR
12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Ellison took all the snaps at Crowells position today with Wire taking snaps at 2nd string linebacker. All this crying for nothing!

Earthquake Enyart
12-07-2006, 07:46 AM
What about Ernie DiGregorio?

Oh wait, they didn't call him Ernie No D for nothing. :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
12-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Digregorio is Injured and questionable

bigbub2352
12-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Vic Carucci on sports night channel 11 in Buffalo last night had nothing but bad things to say about this move and said he thinks this is a poor decision by the coaching staff, Coy is too small and body that played football before will know this, I guess good reveiws from the coaches is included when u give up 180yds rushing and 2 tds

Earthquake Enyart
12-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Vic Carucci on sports night channel 11 in Buffalo last night had nothing but bad things to say about this move and said he thinks this is a poor decision by the coaching staff, Coy is too small and body that played football before will know this, I guess good reveiws from the coaches is included when u give up 180yds rushing and 2 tds
What choice do they have? This one is more on Marv for not having any other options.

Dr. Lecter
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
How many back-up LB's should he have? Stamer already went out for the year.

Billsrock4life
12-07-2006, 01:07 PM
London Fletcher isn't exactly huge eather......i think moving wire to LB is a good move..we all know his pass coverage isnt that great and his tackling is decent