PDA

View Full Version : Barber deal not as much as we all thought...

Michael82
03-03-2003, 10:33 AM
SportsLine.com has learned that the Chiefs and former Eagles linebacker Shawn Barber have agreed in principle to a seven-year deal. The deal includes a $5.5 million bonus and totals $30 million, but the actual money Barber should see is an average of $3.3 million per year over the first three years.............The addition of Barber as a weakside linebacker allows the Chiefs to move Mike Maslowski to the middle. Despite setting a team franchise record with 162 tackles last year, the team believes Maslowski is better suited for the inside than he was as the WLB.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6225058
---------------------------------

So, $3.3 million per year with only a $5.5 million signing bonus? That's a pretty good deal. I now can see Peterson getting $4 - $4.5 million a year. That's not bad at all and actually could be a steal. Come on, lets see what we can get Spikes for. I'm predicting his contract will be with Buffalo for under $6 million per year...maybe around $5 - $5.5 million a year. This is lower than I first expected it. Come on TD....work your magic and get us a steal. Sign either Spikes or Peterson by the end of the week, so you can work on the Defensive line later. :D

:up:

Michael82
03-03-2003, 10:37 AM
That explains it. Maslowski is getting moved the the MLB position. I wonder if he knew that before he signed the contract. :rolleyes:

colin
03-03-2003, 10:44 AM
no suprise here.

Good work bringing in the whole story and quieting the panic people mike.

Michael82
03-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Thanks colin. Everyone was acting like he was going to get paid over 5 million a year or something. :lol:

You just have to wait and see what the real deal is. He actually must have seen the high numbers too and jumped at it. He doesn't realize that he wont see half of that money! LOL

colin
03-03-2003, 10:52 AM
the thing is it happens for nearly all the contracts every freaking season

WG
03-03-2003, 10:58 AM
That's the way these contracts are these days. It makes no sense to me, but apparently some athletes simply like to see their names next to huge dollar signs. If that's true, then the last three years are worth nearly $20M and we can be pretty certain that Barber won't be on the team then for that kind of cash.

WG
03-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by colin
no suprise here.

Good work bringing in the whole story and quieting the panic people mike.

Indeed. Nice find!

ArcticWildMan
03-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Even by backloading it, it still is a bad contract. He'll most likely collect the first 3 years before he has to restructure or is cut. That still amounts to around 15 mil which averages out to 5 mil a season. Either way, it still raises the cost for a LB around the league.

don137
03-03-2003, 11:14 AM
AWM, I am not sure if the average of $3.3 for the first three years includes the signing bonus or is just salary. My guess it includes the signing bonus prorated over the life of the contract.

clumping platelets
03-03-2003, 11:15 AM
BUT it sets the parameters by which TD can use to sign someone like Peterson. Sometimes it is better to wait a few days and let the market set itself instead of setting the market

ArcticWildMan
03-03-2003, 11:19 AM
Usually, they list the salary and the bonus isn't factored in. 3.3 mil a season with a 5 mil signing bonus works out to 5 mil a season assuming he plays 3 years of the contract. From the 4th year on, the cap hit would be extremly high due to the backloading, so it's unlikely he'll see that money.

No matter what, it sets the bar at around 5 mil per season.

I don't see how we benefit from letting another team set the market price like this? :scratch:

clumping platelets
03-03-2003, 11:34 AM
average per season usually includes the whole deal all bonuses.

7rs-30million is about $4.3 million/season

I'd give Peterson about that much

ArcticWildMan
03-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Peterson yes, Barber no.