PDA

View Full Version : Chris Brown talks playoffs

BILLSROCK1212
12-09-2006, 03:21 PM
BILLS PLAYOFF CHANCES: Thought I'd provide a closer look at just what the Bills are looking at concerning their playoffs chances. It may not be as dour as some might think.
Here is where things stand with four games to play for the Bills in terms of what they need to do and what they need their AFC competition must do the rest of the way to get the Bills in the postseason.
1. The Bills have to win out - This is pretty much a given if Buffalo wants any chance of getting to the postseason. (I think we all knew this).
However, if they do that they will automatically eliminate Miami and Tennessee as AFC Wild Card competition because they will have a better overall record.
2. The Tiebreakers - This is an inexact exercise since each of the remaining 7 AFC teams that are arguably in contention (excluding Miami and Tennessee above) haven't played their final four games which can compromise some tiebreaking procedures right now.
What I've done is provide the scenarios that would exist if the Bills were tied with any one of these teams. If there is a three-way tie there are different tiebreaking procedures used than in a head-to-head tiebreaker. But with four games to play too much is not known to do the possible three way ties. Plus it would take too much time, and that's time that I simply don't have.
So all the tiebreakers below are Bills head-to-head with one other AFC team.
A. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Jacksonville for the Wild Card, the Bills would win based on head-to-head record (1-0).
B. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Pittsburgh, Buffalo would get the Wild Card due to a better conference record (7-5). The Steelers can't finish with a conference record better than 6-6.
C. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Kansas City, Buffalo would get the Wild Card due to a better conference record (7-5). If the Chiefs finish 9-7 their conference record will be 5-7.
D. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Cincinnati it would come down to common opponents. Buffalo hasn't played Baltimore (a common opponent) and Cincy hasn't played Indy (another common opponent). At 9-7 we're assuming Buffalo beats Baltimore, but even if Cincy loses to Indy they did beat the Ravens once (they split their two games with Balt.) so I believe Buffalo would lose to the Bengals on tiebreaker. But I have to double check on that.
E. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Denver it would come down to strength of victory because they each have a 2-2 record in common games. Strength of victory is based on the final W-L records of the opponents a team has beaten. This is impossible to do with four games left. So we don't have an answer here yet.
F. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with the Jets, they would lose on tiebreakers. If we're assuming the Jets lose only two more games and one of them is to Buffalo, that means they would either beat Miami (and the Bills would lose on division tiebreaker) or Minnesota (which would give them a better record against common opponents).
So to sum up the Bills if they win out can take an AFC Wild Card spot in a head-to-head tiebreaker with three other teams that are in contention (KC, Pitt, Jax).
They may be able to beat out the Bengals on tiebreaker if Cincy loses to Indy (still checking on that Balt. split thing). They could beat out Denver based on strength of victory (but we'll have to wait until later in the season).
And they can't beat out the Jets.
Hope I didn't confuse anyone too much.

casdhf
12-09-2006, 04:11 PM
All I need is hope!

gr8slayer
12-09-2006, 04:45 PM
BILL-IEVE

evol4276
12-09-2006, 05:16 PM
haha we're not as bad as pittsburgh step-wise

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Forget it, our playoff hopes are over.

gr8slayer
12-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Wow you sound like a Dolphin fan.

Dr. Lecter
12-09-2006, 05:23 PM
"Don't give up, don't ever give up."

YardRat
12-09-2006, 05:25 PM
As long as we still have a chance, I'm all for it.

Slim to none, but not over yet.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Wow you sound like a Dolphin fan.

Phin fans must be pretty damn realistic then. We have to win out, we have too many obstacles. Buffalo making the playoffs is nothing short of a miracle, that's the truth.

Our defense is going to get SHREDDED tomorrow against the Jets. They have the better defense than us and obviously the better offense, even though we have improved immensely. Mark my words, our defense is going to be our achilles heel tomorrow against the Jets..

gr8slayer
12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Phin fans must be pretty damn realistic then. We have to win out, we have too many obstacles. Buffalo making the playoffs is nothing short of a miracle, that's the truth.

Our defense is going to get SHREDDED tomorrow against the Jets. They have the better defense than us and obviously the better offense, even though we have improved immensely. Mark my words, our defense is going to be our achilles heel tomorrow against the Jets..
You make me sick.

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 05:35 PM
As long as we still have a chance, I'm all for it.

Slim to none, but not over yet.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

If we beat San Diego, I would still be on the playoff train. Let's face it though, our season is pretty much over and with a run defense as bad as Buffalo's you can put a fork in us. I expect all this playoff talk to end tomorrow against the Jets, I hope for the best but I can see this happening. I see mismatches all over the field. Pennington is known for his short passes and quick reads and the Cover 2 is designed to not give up the big play. I see the Jets exploiting the short/intermediate routes against the Bills once again. The Jets are also going to have a decent run game this time. Houston and Washington aren't too shabby.

I expect a decent game from our offense but not as good as last time. McGahee is really going to have to show, which I can't see happening. He has three broken ribs and a messed up ankle. Furthermore, A-Train hasn't done jack squat against premier defenses, so don't expect much from him. I think Losman is really going to struggle against the Jets this time around as well based off of a few reasons: 1.) Poor protection. 2.) Lack of run game. 3.) Lack of weapons. All in all, I hope I'm wrong but it really looks like the Jets have a much better team all around.

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 05:37 PM
You make me sick.

Buzz off.

YardRat
12-09-2006, 05:39 PM
A loss wouldn't surprise me either, BF...but as long as a win keeps us in the chase that's what I'm rooting for.

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 05:40 PM
A loss wouldn't surprise me either, BF...but as long as a win keeps us in the chase that's what I'm rooting for.

That's all I'm saying, we are most likely going to lose. This doesn't mean I am not rooting for the Bills like some of these ******s are implying.

Coach Sal
12-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Let's see about this part:

D. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Cincinnati it would come down to common opponents. Buffalo hasn't played Baltimore (a common opponent) and Cincy hasn't played Indy (another common opponent). At 9-7 we're assuming Buffalo beats Baltimore, but even if Cincy loses to Indy they did beat the Ravens once (they split their two games with Balt.) so I believe Buffalo would lose to the Bengals on tiebreaker. But I have to double check on that.

The only common opponents between Cincy and the Bills are:
Baltimore
New England
San Diego
Indy

They play Baltimore twice and we play NE twice.

In order to finish tied, we'd have to assume the Bills beat Baltimore and Cincy loses to Indy (as Chris Brown says) since neither of those games has occured yet.

That would make us 1-4 in those games (beating Baltimore).
It would also make Cincy 1-4 in those games (beating Baltimore once).

The next tie-breaker would be Strength of Victory. Right now we'd lose that, but with 4 games remaining that can change quickly......especially considering we'd have to beat the Jets and Ravens to be in this situation.

RockStar36
12-09-2006, 06:48 PM
It could happen, slim chance, but I've seen crazier things.

BTW, does anyone else think that Bills Digest should change the name to "The Company Line" ?

raphael120
12-09-2006, 08:54 PM
just once, just one damn year i'd like to "bill-eve" that we will go to the playoffs based on the bills playing good ****ing football and not having some out-of-the-friggin-universe crapshot at maybe making it if this team loses and if we win this and they do that and then grandma prays all week long, we'll make it to the playoffs.

get real, people.

the bills dont deserve to go to the playoffs this year, and this year wasnt about going to the playoffs anyways, WE ALL KNEW THIS!

im not going to get my hopes up like you guys and hope and cling onto the tiniest chance that they'd make the playoffs. im getting my hopes up for practical things like getting more production out of JP, seeing his progression. seeing our O-line starting to gel more, seeing our yougner players develop, and have hopes for next season.

its a nice thought, but the "P" word should not be uttered after last week. the words "break .500" should be what we're hoping for because that's all you can really ask for this team. so why waste our time???

didnt' know the bills fan base was really that pathetic that they're really hoping for a playoff appearance. if you want real excitement go play slots or go play the lottery, you have about as much chance of winning 1 million dollars as the bills chances of making the playoffs.

im going to the bar tomorrow to cheer for the bills and that they just win a game, or at least be competative, THAT makes me happy.

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 09:12 PM
just once, just one damn year i'd like to "bill-eve" that we will go to the playoffs based on the bills playing good ****ing football and not having some out-of-the-friggin-universe crapshot at maybe making it if this team loses and if we win this and they do that and then grandma prays all week long, we'll make it to the playoffs.

get real, people.

the bills dont deserve to go to the playoffs this year, and this year wasnt about going to the playoffs anyways, WE ALL KNEW THIS!

im not going to get my hopes up like you guys and hope and cling onto the tiniest chance that they'd make the playoffs. im getting my hopes up for practical things like getting more production out of JP, seeing his progression. seeing our O-line starting to gel more, seeing our yougner players develop, and have hopes for next season.

its a nice thought, but the "P" word should not be uttered after last week. the words "break .500" should be what we're hoping for because that's all you can really ask for this team. so why waste our time???

didnt' know the bills fan base was really that pathetic that they're really hoping for a playoff appearance. if you want real excitement go play slots or go play the lottery, you have about as much chance of winning 1 million dollars as the bills chances of making the playoffs.

im going to the bar tomorrow to cheer for the bills and that they just win a game, or at least be competative, THAT makes me happy.

get real, people.

Too much common sense Raphael. You must act like a complete homer or you will be groaned. I don't think we have a shot at making the playoffs and the people that are saying we have a shot are either lying or smoking some really good chronic. If the Bills finish 8-8 this year, I would be pleased with that, let alone making the freaking playoffs.

What we all really need to be hoping for is some more growth out of our young players and cross your fingers and hope even harder that we bring the momentum over into next season.. We are not out of the playoff hunt mathematically but realistically we have been out since the loss against San Diego..

BILLSROCK1212
12-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Too much common sense Raphael. You must act like a complete homer or you will be groaned. I don't think we have a shot at making the playoffs and the people that are saying we have a shot are either lying or smoking some really good chronic. If the Bills finish 8-8 this year, I would be pleased with that, let alone making the freaking playoffs.

What we all really need to be hoping for is some more growth out of our young players and cross your fingers and hope even harder that we bring the momentum over into next season.. We are not out of the playoff hunt mathematically but realistically we have been out since the loss against San Diego..raphael at least made sense u r just bull****ing any chances of us making the playoffs

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2006, 09:43 PM
raphael at least made sense u r just bull****ing any chances of us making the playoffs

I didn't bull**** anything, you can come kiss my ass tomorrow after we lose to the Jets. We are NOT making the playoffs because we won't beat the Jets. Connect the dots, Einstein. Here is my explanation that you completely ignored. Who is the jerk who is bull****ting again? Way to bash fellow Bills fans with a difference of opinion, it's not like I'm trolling, I'm just calling it like I see it.

If we beat San Diego, I would still be on the playoff train. Let's face it though, our season is pretty much over and with a run defense as bad as Buffalo's you can put a fork in us. I expect all this playoff talk to end tomorrow against the Jets, I hope for the best but I can see this happening. I see mismatches all over the field. Pennington is known for his short passes and quick reads and the Cover 2 is designed to not give up the big play. I see the Jets exploiting the short/intermediate routes against the Bills once again. The Jets are also going to have a decent run game this time. Houston and Washington aren't too shabby.

I expect a decent game from our offense but not as good as last time. McGahee is really going to have to show, which I can't see happening. He has three broken ribs and a messed up ankle. Furthermore, A-Train hasn't done jack squat against premier defenses, so don't expect much from him. I think Losman is really going to struggle against the Jets this time around as well based off of a few reasons: 1.) Poor protection. 2.) Lack of run game. 3.) Lack of weapons. All in all, I hope I'm wrong but it really looks like the Jets have a much better team all around.

clumping platelets
12-09-2006, 10:33 PM
It's ain't ova 'til itz ova!

evol4276
12-09-2006, 10:33 PM

get real, people.

yea but be honest, it is a lot more fun to have something to root for, even if it is at such a slim margin of occuring. thats just my mindset though

BILLSROCK1212
12-09-2006, 10:59 PM
I didn't bull**** anything, you can come kiss my ass tomorrow after we lose to the Jets. We are NOT making the playoffs because we won't beat the Jets. Connect the dots, Einstein. Here is my explanation that you completely ignored. Who is the jerk who is bull****ting again? Way to bash fellow Bills fans with a difference of opinion, it's not like I'm trolling, I'm just calling it like I see it.

well if you dont BILLieve idk how u r a Bills fan we still have a chance....ive seen the Jets play more than any Bills fan on this board and just so u know with out that defense they r screwed pennington makes the most mistakes inside the red zon and on his opponents side of the field that i have seen all year and has cost his team some game without Kerry Rhodes and that defense they r lost.....i BILLieve in JP and our offense go Bills!

Crazygoo
12-09-2006, 11:01 PM
lets hope your right

Typ0
12-09-2006, 11:15 PM
I don't think it's over for us yet. We need to win four games. We already didn't take care of business by losing some games but if we can manage to win out then we can make it. Like was shoved down our throats for the first ten weeks of the season JP will be judged on his performance for the whole season. He needs to go out there and perform well for the next few weeks. We can beat the JETS tomorrow but he can't be giving the game away like he did the last time.

Typ0
12-09-2006, 11:19 PM

if you ever play on a real team you never give up because it isn't over till it's over. I didn't expect much this season and expected even less after I saw JP falling into the abyss. However, we were so close to winning against NE, JETS, Detroit and Indy that I can see a lot of promise in this team. We didn't win those games...just one and the whole story is different. But there is still 1/4 of the season left and the bulk of our brutal schedule is over. We need to win and this team can gain momentum.

BILLSROCK1212
12-09-2006, 11:25 PM
if you ever play on a real team you never give up because it isn't over till it's over. I didn't expect much this season and expected even less after I saw JP falling into the abyss. However, we were so close to winning against NE, JETS, Detroit and Indy that I can see a lot of promise in this team. We didn't win those games...just one and the whole story is different. But there is still 1/4 of the season left and the bulk of our brutal schedule is over. We need to win and this team can gain momentum.
agreed with 100%

evol4276
12-10-2006, 12:48 AM
you know what? im happy of the fact that this far into the season i can even say "we have a slight chance to make it to the playoffs" after the crap year we just had last year. the chance itself makes me hopeful, so stuff it down your throat if you dont like it

BrunnyJ
12-10-2006, 02:31 AM
All you need is a chip and a chair and we have both!

Meathead
12-10-2006, 05:11 AM
so basically the bills have to go 4-0 and the jets 1-3 to have their best chance and if the jets go 2-2 its over no matter what

raphael120
12-10-2006, 01:30 PM
if the bills win the next 4 games, that's great, but theyre not making the playoffs. if they win the next 4 games i think that momentum and that confidence is much better than limping into the playoffs and getting blown out of the water when we try to go toe to toe with the big dogs. but then again if we do win out the rest of the reason i think we'd deserve it then. i also said we'd deserve to go into the playoffs if we beat the chargers, and we didnt, and in all honesty, the score was misleading, we were NEVER that close to beating the chargers as the score says. just look at the stats.

Dr. Lecter
12-10-2006, 07:24 PM

Sorry Fever, but this has to be bumped.

PECKERWOOD
12-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Sorry Fever, but this has to be bumped.

I was wrong, thankfully. I'd rather eat **** and be wrong than to be right and lose.

YardRat
12-10-2006, 07:30 PM
One down, three to go.

Time to sweep the Fish.

PECKERWOOD
12-10-2006, 07:33 PM
One down, three to go.

Time to sweep the Fish.

Yup

We can probably win out but I wouldn't look past Miami, they did just beat NE. Even so, we need to get very lucky if we are going to make the playoffs, even if we do win out.

Michael82
12-10-2006, 07:46 PM
BILLS PLAYOFF CHANCES: Thought I'd provide a closer look at just what the Bills are looking at concerning their playoffs chances. It may not be as dour as some might think.
Here is where things stand with four games to play for the Bills in terms of what they need to do and what they need their AFC competition must do the rest of the way to get the Bills in the postseason.
1. The Bills have to win out - This is pretty much a given if Buffalo wants any chance of getting to the postseason. (I think we all knew this).
However, if they do that they will automatically eliminate Miami and Tennessee as AFC Wild Card competition because they will have a better overall record.
2. The Tiebreakers - This is an inexact exercise since each of the remaining 7 AFC teams that are arguably in contention (excluding Miami and Tennessee above) haven't played their final four games which can compromise some tiebreaking procedures right now.
What I've done is provide the scenarios that would exist if the Bills were tied with any one of these teams. If there is a three-way tie there are different tiebreaking procedures used than in a head-to-head tiebreaker. But with four games to play too much is not known to do the possible three way ties. Plus it would take too much time, and that's time that I simply don't have.
So all the tiebreakers below are Bills head-to-head with one other AFC team.
A. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Jacksonville for the Wild Card, the Bills would win based on head-to-head record (1-0).
B. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Pittsburgh, Buffalo would get the Wild Card due to a better conference record (7-5). The Steelers can't finish with a conference record better than 6-6.
C. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Kansas City, Buffalo would get the Wild Card due to a better conference record (7-5). If the Chiefs finish 9-7 their conference record will be 5-7.
E. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Denver it would come down to strength of victory because they each have a 2-2 record in common games. Strength of victory is based on the final W-L records of the opponents a team has beaten. This is impossible to do with four games left. So we don't have an answer here yet.
F. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with the Jets, they would lose on tiebreakers. If we're assuming the Jets lose only two more games and one of them is to Buffalo, that means they would either beat Miami (and the Bills would lose on division tiebreaker) or Minnesota (which would give them a better record against common opponents).
So to sum up the Bills if they win out can take an AFC Wild Card spot in a head-to-head tiebreaker with three other teams that are in contention (KC, Pitt, Jax).
They may be able to beat out the Bengals on tiebreaker if Cincy loses to Indy (still checking on that Balt. split thing). They could beat out Denver based on strength of victory (but we'll have to wait until later in the season).
And they can't beat out the Jets.
Hope I didn't confuse anyone too much.
wow. I didn't realize that they could hold all these tiebreakers. Interesting..... :pray:

Michael82
12-10-2006, 07:52 PM
I didn't bull**** anything, you can come kiss my ass tomorrow after we lose to the Jets. We are NOT making the playoffs because we won't beat the Jets. Connect the dots, Einstein.

:lmao:

PECKERWOOD
12-10-2006, 07:53 PM
:lmao:

Hey, atleast I was right about one thing, we ain't making the playoffs this year!

Nighthawk
12-10-2006, 07:54 PM
I don't think we are going to make the playoffs, but I'm very happy to see progress from this team. If they make the playoffs then that is just icing on the cake.