• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

Chris Brown talks playoffs

BILLS PLAYOFF CHANCES: Thought I'd provide a closer look at just what the Bills are looking at concerning their playoffs chances. It may not be as dour as some might think.
    Here is where things stand with four games to play for the Bills in terms of what they need to do and what they need their AFC competition must do the rest of the way to get the Bills in the postseason.
    1. The Bills have to win out - This is pretty much a given if Buffalo wants any chance of getting to the postseason. (I think we all knew this).
    However, if they do that they will automatically eliminate Miami and Tennessee as AFC Wild Card competition because they will have a better overall record.
    2. The Tiebreakers - This is an inexact exercise since each of the remaining 7 AFC teams that are arguably in contention (excluding Miami and Tennessee above) haven't played their final four games which can compromise some tiebreaking procedures right now.
    What I've done is provide the scenarios that would exist if the Bills were tied with any one of these teams. If there is a three-way tie there are different tiebreaking procedures used than in a head-to-head tiebreaker. But with four games to play too much is not known to do the possible three way ties. Plus it would take too much time, and that's time that I simply don't have.
    So all the tiebreakers below are Bills head-to-head with one other AFC team.
    A. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Jacksonville for the Wild Card, the Bills would win based on head-to-head record (1-0).
    B. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Pittsburgh, Buffalo would get the Wild Card due to a better conference record (7-5). The Steelers can't finish with a conference record better than 6-6.
    C. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Kansas City, Buffalo would get the Wild Card due to a better conference record (7-5). If the Chiefs finish 9-7 their conference record will be 5-7.
    D. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Cincinnati it would come down to common opponents. Buffalo hasn't played Baltimore (a common opponent) and Cincy hasn't played Indy (another common opponent). At 9-7 we're assuming Buffalo beats Baltimore, but even if Cincy loses to Indy they did beat the Ravens once (they split their two games with Balt.) so I believe Buffalo would lose to the Bengals on tiebreaker. But I have to double check on that.
    E. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Denver it would come down to strength of victory because they each have a 2-2 record in common games. Strength of victory is based on the final W-L records of the opponents a team has beaten. This is impossible to do with four games left. So we don't have an answer here yet.
    F. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with the Jets, they would lose on tiebreakers. If we're assuming the Jets lose only two more games and one of them is to Buffalo, that means they would either beat Miami (and the Bills would lose on division tiebreaker) or Minnesota (which would give them a better record against common opponents).
    So to sum up the Bills if they win out can take an AFC Wild Card spot in a head-to-head tiebreaker with three other teams that are in contention (KC, Pitt, Jax).
    They may be able to beat out the Bengals on tiebreaker if Cincy loses to Indy (still checking on that Balt. split thing). They could beat out Denver based on strength of victory (but we'll have to wait until later in the season).
    And they can't beat out the Jets.
    Hope I didn't confuse anyone too much.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Chris Brown talks playoffs

All I need is hope!
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

BILL-IEVE

Comment

• evol4276
        • Oct 2005

haha we're not as bad as pittsburgh step-wise

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Forget it, our playoff hopes are over.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
            Wow you sound like a Dolphin fan.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

"Don't give up, don't ever give up."
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

As long as we still have a chance, I'm all for it.

Originally posted by Wade Phillips
                Slim to none, but not over yet.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                  Defies all logic
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                  Wow you sound like a Dolphin fan.
                  Phin fans must be pretty damn realistic then. We have to win out, we have too many obstacles. Buffalo making the playoffs is nothing short of a miracle, that's the truth.

Our defense is going to get SHREDDED tomorrow against the Jets. They have the better defense than us and obviously the better offense, even though we have improved immensely. Mark my words, our defense is going to be our achilles heel tomorrow against the Jets..

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                    Phin fans must be pretty damn realistic then. We have to win out, we have too many obstacles. Buffalo making the playoffs is nothing short of a miracle, that's the truth.

Our defense is going to get SHREDDED tomorrow against the Jets. They have the better defense than us and obviously the better offense, even though we have improved immensely. Mark my words, our defense is going to be our achilles heel tomorrow against the Jets..
                    You make me sick.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by YardRat
                      As long as we still have a chance, I'm all for it.

Slim to none, but not over yet.
                      If we beat San Diego, I would still be on the playoff train. Let's face it though, our season is pretty much over and with a run defense as bad as Buffalo's you can put a fork in us. I expect all this playoff talk to end tomorrow against the Jets, I hope for the best but I can see this happening. I see mismatches all over the field. Pennington is known for his short passes and quick reads and the Cover 2 is designed to not give up the big play. I see the Jets exploiting the short/intermediate routes against the Bills once again. The Jets are also going to have a decent run game this time. Houston and Washington aren't too shabby.

I expect a decent game from our offense but not as good as last time. McGahee is really going to have to show, which I can't see happening. He has three broken ribs and a messed up ankle. Furthermore, A-Train hasn't done jack squat against premier defenses, so don't expect much from him. I think Losman is really going to struggle against the Jets this time around as well based off of a few reasons: 1.) Poor protection. 2.) Lack of run game. 3.) Lack of weapons. All in all, I hope I'm wrong but it really looks like the Jets have a much better team all around.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                        Defies all logic
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                        You make me sick.
                        Buzz off.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

A loss wouldn't surprise me either, BF...but as long as a win keeps us in the chase that's what I'm rooting for.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by YardRat
                            A loss wouldn't surprise me either, BF...but as long as a win keeps us in the chase that's what I'm rooting for.
                            That's all I'm saying, we are most likely going to lose. This doesn't mean I am not rooting for the Bills like some of these ******s are implying.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                              • Aug 2006

Let's see about this part:

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                              D. If at the end of the season the Bills (9-7) are tied with Cincinnati it would come down to common opponents. Buffalo hasn't played Baltimore (a common opponent) and Cincy hasn't played Indy (another common opponent). At 9-7 we're assuming Buffalo beats Baltimore, but even if Cincy loses to Indy they did beat the Ravens once (they split their two games with Balt.) so I believe Buffalo would lose to the Bengals on tiebreaker. But I have to double check on that.
                              The only common opponents between Cincy and the Bills are:
                              Baltimore
                              New England
                              San Diego
                              Indy

They play Baltimore twice and we play NE twice.

In order to finish tied, we'd have to assume the Bills beat Baltimore and Cincy loses to Indy (as Chris Brown says) since neither of those games has occured yet.

That would make us 1-4 in those games (beating Baltimore).
                              It would also make Cincy 1-4 in those games (beating Baltimore once).

The next tie-breaker would be Strength of Victory. Right now we'd lose that, but with 4 games remaining that can change quickly......especially considering we'd have to beat the Jets and Ravens to be in this situation.
                              Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                              And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

Working...
                              X