PDA

View Full Version : Will you be happy if JP....

Mr. Cynical
12-10-2006, 11:37 PM
...ultimately turns out to be a game managing type QB like Delhomme or Pennington? Obviously JP has more legs/arm strength so it's not a great comparison, however his numbers are similar, i.e., he is not chucking it for 300 yards and 3 TDs (I know - the playcalling is part of the reason)

NOTE - This is not a JP bashing thread. It's a legitimate question. If JP does ends up being a game manager QB we can still win the SB. I'm just curious to hear how some people would feel if that's his destiny.

Personally (and I think most feel the same) I would be fine with it because I can't stand the thought of going thru another QB trial period. However I think the expectations (myself included) were more that he would be a Favre-like gunslinger. It could still happen - alot depends on the playcalling obviously - but to date he is playing the game manager role. (which, again, is fine as long as we get the Ws and he continues to improve) It's just not what I expected him to be successful at given his history....

Philagape
12-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Just win, baby.

If we can build a team around him, stop the run, give him better options, then he can be whatever he wants (or the coaches want).

Considering he was a raw project coming out of college, I don't expect him to have a Hall of Fame career. But he's proven he's a gamer who can score at any time, and he's getting better at merely managing games, too.

Tatonka
12-10-2006, 11:47 PM
i dont think JP would settle for being a game manager. he is not built to be that.

either he will end up being a game changing qb, or he will end up being a failure.

i think he will be the game changer we want him to be by next year.. but that really depends on what the coaching staff will allow him to be.

Billz_fan
12-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Im starting to see the things in JP that I expected to see right away and didn't. That caused me to rethink my position on him and begin got worry about his ability to be a winning pro QB.

I feel better now though. Im a little more relaxed and ready to give him some space to grow. He probably won't be Jim Kelly or John Elway or Joe Montana. I do see some of the lights coming on though. I think he can be pretty darn good if we play our cards right (put him in a position to make plays) and he avoids injury. Thats the part I actually worry about most right now. We need him to stay healthy and play. This is a critical time in his development IMO.

I think things look pretty good atm, Today was the first time in a while where I really had fun watching the game and getting excited. They played well and got a great win.

Oh the question, I think he will be better than a game manager type QB. Will I be happy if thats what he becomes ? No, I will think out coaching staff failed him if that happens. He has more talent than that.

ublinkwescore
12-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Lee Evans is now a 1,000 yard reciever - I voted for him to go to the probowl.

Schoebel I heard is leading the league in sacks now too (that's nice, but we need some consistency all across the line - especially against the run).

this team has a great future - or should I say we're not far off from deep playoff runs - it's just a matter of keeping the ship pointed in the right direction.

Tatonka
12-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Oh the question, I think he will be better than a game manager type QB. Will I be happy if thats what he becomes ? No, I will think out coaching staff failed him if that happens. He has more talent than that.

that was a great overall post and i agree completely..

but this statement right here says it all.. exactly my thoughts. great post.

Ebenezer
12-11-2006, 12:17 AM
hell...if they win I wouldn't mind if all he does is carry a broom and sweep peanut shells...after 7 years of this medocrity (at best) I just want a winner.

Mr. Cynical
12-11-2006, 12:50 AM
either he will end up being a game changing qb, or he will end up being a failure.

This is kinda what I was getting at....I used to think this but then again maybe that's being myopic. Maybe he can be successful as a game manager? WAY too early to tell but so far that's how we've won. And if the coaches follow the "aint broke dont fix it" model, it will be interesting to see how JP reacts over time if he doesn't fire off 300 yard games. One can say as long as we are winning he (or we) won't care, but then again if in his heart he wants to be (or has to be) a game changer, then ultimately it will come to a head.

socalfan
12-11-2006, 01:29 AM
I think he'll be a Joe Furguson (sp??) type player.

Historian
12-11-2006, 04:34 AM
NOTE - This is not a JP bashing thread.

I love threads that carry a disclaimer.

;)

YardRat
12-11-2006, 05:12 AM
I'd be fine with JP being a 'game-manager' if that's the way it turns out and we're winning a Super Bowl, but on the other side of the coin if that's the case it de-values his importance in the grand scheme of the team make-up. It makes him more replaceable in the future, and less of a commodity to invest big dollar contracts in.

We all know the arguments that the line needs to be better, the #2 WR needs to be better, the defense or coaching needs to be better etc etc but damn...if everything else on the team were perfect ANYBODY could be QB. (See Big Ben, Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien and on and on). Individual players stand out because they contribute to a team's success when things AREN'T perfect.

Great QB's make plays when the protection breaks down; they win games with their arm when the running game is stuffed; they light up the scoreboard when the defense is having an off day; they out-think the opposing team on the field when the coaches aren't able to do it from the sideline. And they do it on a pretty consistent basis.

I'd be happy with JP being just a manager, as long as he's happy with accepting the stature and paycheck commensurate that goes along with it.

jmb1099
12-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Winning is the most important thing, however, throwing 77 yard td's is not a game manager. You nailed it on the head when you said playcalling was, at least in part, the reason for low yardage numbers. If Losman tosses 30 passes around like some of these other guys, with evans and a real good number 2 receiver, you're looking at a serious playmaker

The King
12-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Absolutely. Manage away, as long as points end up on the board. Look what happened to Brady this year when NE tried winning games with his arm. A manager is just fine by me!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-11-2006, 07:39 AM
you can see the tone of all Bills Nation changing now. all the posts here have the feeling of hope rather then the apocolytic feel of a few months ago.

There is hope.

Billsrock4life
12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Pennington sucks so no i won't be happy if he turns out like him but for delhomme yes i would be happy

scott51
12-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Just win, baby.

If we can build a team around him, stop the run, give him better options, then he can be whatever he wants (or the coaches want).

Considering he was a raw project coming out of college, I don't expect him to have a Hall of Fame career. But he's proven he's a gamer who can score at any time, and he's getting better at merely managing games, too.

Exactly! I don't care how he does it, if he is winning games, then I say keep doing what your doing!!!

BADTHINGSMAN
12-11-2006, 06:32 PM
The most important stat is the W..

mikemac2001
12-11-2006, 06:41 PM
I would have been happy if todd collins did that or RJ or any qb for the bills i would be happy...do i like 10/15 passing NO but i like wins and if thats how we win thats cool with