PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Willis McGahee

OpIv37
12-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I know you people are gonna have a field day cuz I'm *****ing after a win, but this has to be said.

The whole Willis/Vilma thing highlights the problem with Willis. Yesterday, he had 16 rushes for 125 yards and a TD, and finally broke the long one (57 yards). And he did that despite having a slight injury, being sick to his stomach, and missing well over a quarter of the game. It shows that Willis has the strength to move the pile and get positive yardage when he doesn't dance.

The reason? McGahee wanted to show up Vilma- his old college teammate. This is what Willis can do when he's motivated. The problem is that it's hard to get him motivated. Guys like Spikes and Hargrove get pumped and give 100% no matter who they're playing- the competition (and the millions they get paid to participate in it) are motivation enough. Willis, unfortunately, only gives 100% when he feels like it .

If he played this hard every week, people might take him seriously when he says he's the best RB in the NFL. I don't think he's as good as LT or Alexander, but I think if he played 100% every week he could be in the same vein as them (much like Thurman was with E. Smith and B. Sanders- no one would say Thurman is better than those two guys, but at the time there was no doubt that they were the 3 best RB's in the NFL).

Willis is a great player with a ****ty attitude.

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2006, 08:31 AM
I think that's a bunch of BS.

OpIv37
12-11-2006, 08:34 AM

oh yeah? Explain why Willis always looks so good against the Jets and so mediocre against everyone else. Explain why he had the longest run of his career despite being sick and injured. Explain why Willis danced in the backfield against SD but hit holes like a madman against the Jets yesterday.

The guy simply doesn't come to play every week.

alohabillsfan
12-11-2006, 08:37 AM
oh yeah? Explain why Willis always looks so good against the Jets and so mediocre against everyone else. Explain why he had the longest run of his career despite being sick and injured. Explain why Willis danced in the backfield against SD but hit holes like a madman against the Jets yesterday.

The guy simply doesn't come to play every week.

Ya, Billsfanone answer the man!

ICE74129
12-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I think that's a bunch of BS.Really? Facts prove he is right.

OPV, willis is a thug punk. All he cares about is the 'lifestyle' of being an NFL player. Hell I bet if the punk could become a rapper and make as much money he wouldn't play another down in the NFL.

The sooner we are rid of him the better

HHURRICANE
12-11-2006, 08:41 AM

You crack me up. You're one of the biggest JPHaters here and never present facts. Than OP makes a valid point, that can be backed up, and you come up with "BS" as a reply. Back up your smack!! Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?

The King
12-11-2006, 08:51 AM
I disagree slightly. McGahee has a big spotlight attitude and he plays on a small spotlight team. Here we have a guy who went to the U, the biggest attitude school in the country. He ends up in Buffalo gets some good press because of his injury, then after a few losing seasons he fades from the spotlight. He makes the "Best back in the league" comment to get back into the public eye again.

McGahee is a good back he is a damn good back. As the team wins more he will play better, I do think he has problems playing for a team that isnt winning. Which you see a lot in the NFL I think McGahee is part of the norm, where guys like Spikes and Fletcher are part of a minority.

I do think Fletch deserves to be mentioned because no matter where this team has been record wise over the last 5 years, Fletcher has been on the field giving that 100%.

OpIv37
12-11-2006, 08:56 AM
I disagree slightly. McGahee has a big spotlight attitude and he plays on a small spotlight team. Here we have a guy who went to the U, the biggest attitude school in the country. He ends up in Buffalo gets some good press because of his injury, then after a few losing seasons he fades from the spotlight. He makes the "Best back in the league" comment to get back into the public eye again.

McGahee is a good back he is a damn good back. As the team wins more he will play better, I do think he has problems playing for a team that isnt winning. Which you see a lot in the NFL I think McGahee is part of the norm, where guys like Spikes and Fletcher are part of a minority.

I do think Fletch deserves to be mentioned because no matter where this team has been record wise over the last 5 years, Fletcher has been on the field giving that 100%.

my only response to that is that if McGahee played harder, this team would win more games and he'd be back in the spotlight more often. Thurman Thomas had no problem getting press when we were winning back in the day.

And yeah, you can throw Fletch into the mix of guys who play hard every game. There are other guys on our team too- Hargrove and Spikes are just the most visible about it IMO.

Dr. Lecter
12-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Really? Facts prove he is right.

OPV, willis is a thug punk. All he cares about is the 'lifestyle' of being an NFL player. Hell I bet if the punk could become a rapper and make as much money he wouldn't play another down in the NFL.

So who will take over as RB?

You want to dump Nate and Willis. You also want the Bills to fill holes at OL, DL, TE, WR, and LB. By getting rid of those two guys you creat two additional holes.

Philagape
12-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I have to agree with Op. And if you want facts ... Willis has averaged more than four yards a carry in only three games this year, and yup, two were against the Jets. (the other was Jax)

ICE74129
12-11-2006, 09:19 AM
So who will take over as RB?

You want to dump Nate and Willis. You also want the Bills to fill holes at OL, DL, TE, WR, and LB. By getting rid of those two guys you creat two additional holes.

And with 37 mill in cap room you can fill ALL of them. RB's can be had in later rounds and perform well. upgrade the OL and that helps ensure a later round pick will succeed at RB.

As for as clements, if he agrees to WHAT HE IS WORTH, then sign him. problem is he thinks he is a top 5 CB and he isn't.

So I want to fill 8-10 slots with 37 mill in cap room AND the draft. Seems to me a decent GM wont have any problems doing that.

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2006, 09:21 AM
You crack me up. You're one of the biggest JPHaters here and never present facts. Than OP makes a valid point, that can be backed up, and you come up with "BS" as a reply. Back up your smack!! Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?
I'm a reformed hater. I like JP now and ate my crow already. It tasted good.

I don't think Willis gets more psyched up to play the Jets than he does any other game. It's media hype you all are buying into. He's had good games besides the Jets. He's had bad ones too.

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Really? Facts prove he is right.

You're not a real fan. Talking about one of the Bills players like that.

Dr. Lecter
12-11-2006, 09:22 AM
And with 37 mill in cap room you can fill ALL of them. RB's can be had in later rounds and perform well. upgrade the OL and that helps ensure a later round pick will succeed at RB.

As for as clements, if he agrees to WHAT HE IS WORTH, then sign him. problem is he thinks he is a top 5 CB and he isn't.

So I want to fill 8-10 slots with 37 mill in cap room AND the draft. Seems to me a decent GM wont have any problems doing that.
And another question:

You and I (as well as others) have pointed out that the O-line's struggles (although they are improving) contributed to JP's struggles.

Why is that not part of Willis' problem?

That fact is you want 5-10 new starters, it won't be done in one off-season.

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2006, 09:23 AM
It's great that you are all mind readers and know what Willis is thinking.

Philagape
12-11-2006, 09:25 AM
And another question:

You and I (as well as others) have pointed out that the O-line's struggles (although they are improving) contributed to JP's struggles.

I'm sure that's a factor too.

RockStar36
12-11-2006, 09:28 AM
The Willis haters still find something to whine about after a great win. Amazing.

He doesn't get more jacked up to play the Jets than he does any other team.

justasportsfan
12-11-2006, 09:28 AM
I think that's a bunch of BS.I agree.

RockStar36
12-11-2006, 09:30 AM
He's a scapegoat. When they lose (and this case, when they win) people need to pile up on someone and try to run them out of town. It just so happens that Willis has temporarily taken over for JP in the scapegoat department.

The King
12-11-2006, 09:34 AM
my only response to that is that if McGahee played harder, this team would win more games and he'd be back in the spotlight more often. Thurman Thomas had no problem getting press when we were winning back in the day.

And yeah, you can throw Fletch into the mix of guys who play hard every game. There are other guys on our team too- Hargrove and Spikes are just the most visible about it IMO.

Agreed, but loosing is a cancer. On the flip side we have two young guys in Evans and JP who are following suit with TKO and Fletch not Willis.

Saratoga Slim
12-11-2006, 09:35 AM
I would like a RB with a better attitude, I agree with Op and Ice that Willis isn't a leader, and you'd like your marquee players to lead. When your stars are busting their asses and putting the team first, that flows downhill.

I'd have no problem if Willis got traded...........................but I'm not sure now is the time to do it. Even if he is playing with inconsistent effort, he's still a damn good back. In light of the other needs we have, I'd rather keep him for the last year of his contract, build up the line and the rest of the team this offseason, and then draft a RB in the first couple rounds next year. A RB can come in and play well as a rookie--look at Cadillac last year, joseph Addai, Maroney, Deangelo Williams, and Maurice Jones-Drew this year.

mysticsoto
12-11-2006, 09:36 AM
And another question:

That fact is you want 5-10 new starters, it won't be done in one off-season.

Good pt. 5-10 new starters means you have an entirely different new team. The team is just starting to get cohesion and playing well together. The last thing you want to do is break it up and start new by inserting a bunch of newbies scattered around. There are key places we need people, but 5-10 new starters is just a dumb idea. Willis is doing fine and playing hard despite his injuries and despite feeling sick. That should atleast say he has heart. In the games where he supposedly doesn't play hard, look at the Oline's play too! You'll notice they go hand in hand...

Philagape
12-11-2006, 09:45 AM
The Willis haters still find something to whine about after a great win. Amazing.

He doesn't get more jacked up to play the Jets than he does any other team.

It's BECAUSE he had such a great game that questions are being asked. Why doesn't he play like that more? We don't know what's in his head, but we do know the results.

Luisito23
12-11-2006, 09:47 AM
I would like a RB with a better attitude, I agree with Op and Ice that Willis isn't a leader, and you'd like your marquee players to lead. When your stars are busting their asses and putting the team first, that flows downhill.

I'd have no problem if Willis got traded...........................but I'm not sure now is the time to do it. Even if he is playing with inconsistent effort, he's still a damn good back. In light of the other needs we have, I'd rather keep him for the last year of his contract, build up the line and the rest of the team this offseason, and then draft a RB in the first couple rounds next year. A RB can come in and play well as a rookie--look at Cadillac last year, joseph Addai, Maroney, Deangelo Williams, and Maurice Jones-Drew this year.

Great post....I agree 300%....:beers:...

GO BILLS!!!!!!

HHURRICANE
12-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm a reformed hater. I like JP now and ate my crow already. It tasted good.

I don't think Willis gets more psyched up to play the Jets than he does any other game. It's media hype you all are buying into. He's had good games besides the Jets. He's had bad ones too.

I appreciate your candor and apprecite the acknowlegemnet. My brother finally apologized to me. He lives in NY and watched the game and now believes JP just needed some time.

As far as McGahee, he has only had (2) 100 yard games this year and this is unacceptable. The 26 yards aginst the Chargers probably cost us the game!!

LtBillsFan66
12-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Whether or not he runs for 100+ a game is a different story.

It seems you all are accusing him of not "getting up" for other games. Granted he's had some crappy games, but there is no way to know for sure it's because he wasn't psyched up enough. That's all media fodder crap.

Kerr
12-11-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm glad that Willis showed up, but Op makes a good point. It appears Willis' problem is motivation. He's a real good talent, but sometimes he just doesn't play hard enough as he should be. We have to win out the rest of our games just to have a decent record. I hope Willis come to play the rest of the season. I would think the last few games will be an audition for him to see whether he'll be on this team for future seasons.

justasportsfan
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
My problem with Willis is inconsistency but the same goes for the coaching, OL, TE,QB, D except ST.

raphael120
12-11-2006, 10:53 AM
yeah, i like the whole quote Mcgahee had "oh i wasnt expecting that big hole to open" on that one play, like he was suprised that he had to go and pull off that 56 yard run. and to top it off, HE GETS SICK AFTER THE BIG LONG RUN AND HAS TO SIT OUT! he's the ONLY back in the NFL that i know of that breaks a long TD run and is THROWING UP on the sidelines, like he can't HANDLE those opportunities of breaking the long ones! COME ON! "i didnt really have a chance to eat before the game" BULL****, you had this problem before, you didnt eat before a game. WHAT FOOTBALL PLAYER DOES NOT MAKE SURE HE HAS FOOD IN HIM TO GET ENERGY TO PLAY A FOOTBALL GAME!?!?! does he want to keep his girlish figure, what is it!?!?! EAT, DAMMIT!!!

mikemac2001
12-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I think its the quiznos sub that gave him motivation