PDA

View Full Version : Why did Miami...

Devin
12-12-2006, 01:53 AM
not sign Brees again?

This isn't meant to start trouble or anything I just remember someone giving a reason they couldnt get it done. Was it the price tag? His Injury?

I remember Brees saying his firm price was 10 mil a year, I just cant remember why it was the fins ended up with Daunte (costing them a 2nd rounder as well). When they could have had Brees without costing anything.

Whats Daunte's current contract? Was it that much of a savings?

jamze132
12-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Nick Saban likes guys that don't have the "high character gene".

LtFinFan66
12-12-2006, 07:50 AM
A combo between the money and the fact that doctors thought Pep would be less of a risk medically. Guess Drew proved them wrong :sad:

Samphin1
12-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, Drew failed our physical but passed New Orleans, I suppose we need to evaluate our physical standards. I still like Culpepper though and when he is finally healthy next year, I expect good to great things from him...but Brees is making every other team in the league look stupid right now.

RedEyE
12-12-2006, 09:58 AM
I for one am glad that the Dolphins never made that happen. Brees is still pretty young and they could have been riding a high horse for years to come.

:phew:

RedEyE
12-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah, Drew failed our physical but passed New Orleans, I suppose we need to evaluate our physical standards. I still like Culpepper though and when he is finally healthy next year, I expect good to great things from him...but Brees is making every other team in the league look stupid right now.

That's a good point. How did Culpepper pass the physical yet Brees failed?

justasportsfan
12-12-2006, 10:04 AM
the fins used Florida Cosmetic sugery doctor that does breast implants to diagnose Brees' injury.

Historian
12-12-2006, 10:04 AM

The team Witch Doctor is from Haitii.

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2006, 10:19 AM
I for one am glad that the Dolphins never made that happen. Brees is still pretty young and they could have been riding a high horse for years to come.

:phew:

No kidding. If Miami would have signed Brees, they would be in the playoffs this year; that's for sure.

Meathead
12-12-2006, 11:14 AM
:lolpoint: miami :nana:

DolfanTom
12-12-2006, 11:21 AM
not sign Brees again?

This isn't meant to start trouble or anything I just remember someone giving a reason they couldnt get it done. Was it the price tag? His Injury?

I remember Brees saying his firm price was 10 mil a year, I just cant remember why it was the fins ended up with Daunte (costing them a 2nd rounder as well). When they could have had Brees without costing anything.

Whats Daunte's current contract? Was it that much of a savings?In short:

-They didn't trust Brees' shoulder
-They didn't want to pay Brees the - about - one million more per season than 'Pepper would cost them
-Pepper's injury was leg related, so - in theory - it wouldn't hurt his throwing, whereas, potentially, Brees wouldn't heal in time to be a good thrower this season.
-Saban took a gamble

Umm, yeah, not so much.

Whaddya gonna do. First Wannstache bypasses Brees in the draft for a backup CB (when CB was probably our deepest position), then Saban blows it.

I like Saban a lot, but this clearly was the wrong decision looking back 20/20. At the time, seemed like a decent gamble.

QB can be a mystery sometime. Who thought BB had anything when he drafted Brady in the sixth????

Gunzlingr
12-12-2006, 11:23 AM

www.billywitchdoctor.com (http://www.billywitchdoctor.com)

Mitchy moo
12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
In short:

-They didn't want to pay Brees the - about - one million more per season than 'Pepper would cost them
-Pepper's injury was leg related, so - in theory - it wouldn't hurt his throwing, whereas, potentially, Brees wouldn't heal in time to be a good thrower this season.
-Saban took a gamble

Umm, yeah, not so much.

Whaddya gonna do. First Wannstache bypasses Brees in the draft for a backup CB (when CB was probably our deepest position), then Saban blows it.

I like Saban a lot, but this clearly was the wrong decision looking back 20/20. At the time, seemed like a decent gamble.

QB can be a mystery sometime. Who thought BB had anything when he drafted Brady in the sixth????

That's in short? I hate to see the long version.

DolfanTom
12-12-2006, 11:46 AM
That's in short? I hate to see the long version.I would post it, but it would be beyond the capacity of the educational system in Buffalo.

Devin
12-12-2006, 02:04 PM
In short:

-Saban took a gamble

Umm, yeah, not so much.

Thanks man, thats kinda what I was looking for. I do remember someone explaining it a while ago but couldnt remember what the reason was.

I know NO was Brees second choice however hes pretty much worshipped around here now so I think hes settling in.

Thanks for the explanation.

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2006, 02:06 PM
In short:

-Saban took a gamble

Umm, yeah, not so much.

So in other words, Saban is a ******?

LtFinFan66
12-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah, for taking the advice of a Doctor about a surgically repaired body part. :shakeno:

Maybe next time he can look around for someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before instead

Devin
12-12-2006, 02:10 PM
If thats indeed the case that doctor should never be consulted again.

Cause thats one hell of a boner to make.

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah, for taking the advice of a Doctor about a surgically repaired body part. :shakeno:

Maybe next time he can look around for someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before instead

lol, Everybody knew Brees was good. Culpepper had a crap season and Brees had a Pro-Bowl season and to no surprise, he is having ANOTHER PB season! Drew Brees is also younger than Culpepper and he isn't a fatty like him either. Oh well, I'm sure 'pepper is happy, he must be able to go on more love boat cruises down in Miami. :snicker2:

dplus47
12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
brees not only failed the team's physical, but it's pretty much a miracle that he's doing what he's doing right now. that's why the saints' deal included a large roster bonus before year 2, so they could cut him after 1 year if he didn't get healthy and perform. this is a cut and paste from a pasquarelli article from a few weeks ago:

"Like Pennington, quarterback Drew Brees (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5479) of New Orleans came back from extensive shoulder surgery, and is on pace to throw for nearly 5,000 yards. Now that Brees has demonstrated how healthy he is -- healthy enough to be a candidate for most valuable player -- the extent of his shoulder injury can be revealed. It seems that Brees had a 360-degree tear of the labrum and that the repair work done by surgeon James Andrews, the renowned orthopedist from Birmingham, Ala., included the insertion of nearly a dozen pins in the shoulder. That makes the comeback Brees -- who threw for over 500 yards in a losing cause in Week 11 -- all the more remarkable."

here's a link. sorry, it's "insider" and all that: http://tinyurl.com/yesgvu

gr8slayer
12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Brees would have been a freaking nightmare.

LtFinFan66
12-12-2006, 02:40 PM
lol, Everybody knew Brees was good. Culpepper had a crap season and Brees had a Pro-Bowl season and to no surprise, he is having ANOTHER PB season! Drew Brees is also younger than Culpepper and he isn't a fatty like him either. Oh well, I'm sure 'pepper is happy, he must be able to go on more love boat cruises down in Miami. :snicker2:We were talking about their injuries and the doctors advice. Not their ability

DolfanTom
12-12-2006, 03:01 PM
So in other words, Saban is a ******?Well, let's just say it's not the best move he's ever made, that's for sure.

If you look at it w/in the context of the time the move was made, it didn't seem that bad at the time.

Kinda like 27 teams passing on Daniel Marino in the '83 draft. Looking back, they were all idiots. At the time, Marino threw off the wrong foot, had a down Senior year and was slow. By comparison, Todd Blackledge had all the tools to be a great QB. :oops:

Meathead
12-12-2006, 06:53 PM
who knows i hate to say it but it could still work out in the fins favor

moss or not cpep was outstanding once and could get that back when healthy, if healthy

and brees is still an injury risk, although i guess you might have to make that a wash

as brutal as cpep was its not cast in stone that he wont ever rebound. for the bills sake i hope he doesnt but he still might