PDA

View Full Version : What Will Happen To BillsZone?

Typ0
12-12-2006, 06:07 AM
In todays Buffalo News, for the second time we have heard Ralph Wilson allude to his having no choice but to move the team from Buffalo due to the higher revenue teams pushing the team out. What's going to happen to this site if the team moves? Maybe this is true for many, but I can't really say if I will stay or go...I just know I will be sad.

Historian
12-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Easy.

It becomes SabresZone.

SABURZFAN
12-12-2006, 06:39 AM
i'm getting sick just thinking about it. :ill:

SABURZFAN
12-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Easy.

It becomes SabresZone.

how about SABURZONE??? :biggrin:

Night Train
12-12-2006, 06:53 AM
how about SABURZONE??? :biggrin:

Or LickerZone !

RedEyE
12-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Why can't Wilson just sell the ****ing team? Several investors have stepped forward willing to stick it out and make this the franchise it so deserves to be, yet he continues his ******ed "Im going to take my ball and go home" financial tactics.

If Ralph Wilson truly had any concern or passion for the Buffalo Bills, its fans, and the city of Buffalo, he'd sell this franchise to someone that can and will get it done. Someone that can keep the team in Buffalo. Someone that is more concerned with winning and less concerned with verbally masterbating all over the media a focus of concerns that tend to be easily correctable.

I'm getting really tired of his bull****.

Pride
12-12-2006, 07:18 AM
He's simply lobbying the state for more money... we've all thought he was crazy in the passed, but to be honest... I think he is one step ahead all of us!

RedEyE
12-12-2006, 07:22 AM
I tell ya, I was very concerned and very against the sale of the Bills in the past, but Tom Golsiano (sp?) has changed all of that for me.

Selling the Bills, keeping them in Buffalo and making them a better contending team can be done.

Ralph needs to let it all go and step into the light.

Michael82
12-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Ralph, if your tight ass can't afford to keep paying the salaries for this team, please sell it immediately. We need to keep it in Buffalo and can't afford to wait until you die. :(

Ickybaluky
12-12-2006, 07:25 AM
He's simply lobbying the state for more money... we've all thought he was crazy in the passed, but to be honest... I think he is one step ahead all of us!

I agree. I dont' think the Bills move, I think he is posturing for state help for a new stadium.

Michael82
12-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Easy.

It becomes SabresZone.
EXACTLY! And it becomes the __________ ______________ (new team name, because there is no way in hell they can keep the name and colors of the Buffalo Bills) haters zone. :up:

Michael82
12-12-2006, 07:27 AM
I think you are right. He knows that we need a new stadium and was pissed when he saw that the league is giving $300 million to the ****ing rich teams in New Jersey that are in a big market. So he knows that he will need money from the government to build a new stadium before it's too late.

mybills
12-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Easy.

It becomes SabresZone.
If that happens, I'm outta here. :bigwave:

RedEyE
12-12-2006, 07:34 AM
I agree. I dont' think the Bills move, I think he is posturing for state help for a new stadium.

I think both of you are right, but I'm adamently opposed to using gov't funds to retain a football franchise. The state of New York has it's own issues to deal with. Dropping money on losing franchise should not be in their best interest.

This goes for all sports teams. Why do we continue to pay for tickets, jerseys, paraphanlia etc.... and still fork over taxes to build new stadiums and correct financial woes of fialing teams? Its ludicrous, yet every state one time or another agrees to it.

To be honest, I'd rather see the Bills move away if Ralph wants to be so stingy and demanding. How is this any different then a grubby ass freeloader milking the welfare system? I mean sure it has it differences, but the principle and basic disgusting, conscience eluding ideas are the same.

I hate it.

Michael82
12-12-2006, 07:36 AM
If that happens, I'm outta here. :bigwave:
But we'll still keep the Twilight Zone and No-TOS zone. :up:

:mad:

THATHURMANATOR
12-12-2006, 07:39 AM
I think you are right. He knows that we need a new stadium and was pissed when he saw that the league is giving $300 million to the ****ing rich teams in New Jersey that are in a big market. So he knows that he will need money from the government to build a new stadium before it's too late.
This is my feelings as well. I can't see him after all these years of keeping the here and fighting for small markets ruining his entire legacy and selling out in the end. I feel he is posturing for help. Of course I may be wrong and it will deeply sadden me if they did leave....

mybills
12-12-2006, 07:39 AM
But we'll still keep the Twilight Zone and No-TOS zone. :up:

ok, I'll think about it.

THATHURMANATOR
12-12-2006, 07:42 AM
How could we leave? We would have to find a new focus. Of course the Sabres forum would be a lot more crowded. The Bills won't leave by the way. I just cannot see it happening. Fans league wide would be up in arms.

Historian
12-12-2006, 07:43 AM
You only get to leave if Dozer sells to the fish, and re-names it the FishZone, mb.

THATHURMANATOR
12-12-2006, 07:45 AM
If real rumors of the team leaving start circulating we should do something. Reach out to the other team message boards throughout the net for support, writing to local, state, and federal officials, Whatever is possible

don137
12-12-2006, 07:49 AM
This also makes me wonder if Ralph will even spend the money for players in free agency. Just because we have the cap space and are improving I doubt Ralph will ante up to use up our cap space to address needs as well as resgning Flectcher and Clements.

Michael82
12-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Ralph would be hated worse than Art Modell if he sold the team to another city or moved them. :mad:

Michael82
12-12-2006, 07:59 AM
This also makes me wonder if Ralph will even spend the money for players in free agency. Just because we have the cap space and are improving I doubt Ralph will ante up to use up our cap space to address needs as well as resgning Flectcher and Clements.
It makes me wonder too. :ill:

It also me physically ill and depressed. :ill: :puke:

:(

Saratoga Slim
12-12-2006, 08:31 AM
How could we leave? We would have to find a new focus. Of course the Sabres forum would be a lot more crowded. The Bills won't leave by the way. I just cannot see it happening. Fans league wide would be up in arms.

I agree. The Bills are a fairly popular franchise, and the Commish is from nearby. I think there's some benefit to the league in maintaining its historical franchises. Look how quickly they got a team back in Cleveland after Modell moved the Browns. There were more profitable markets to put an expansion team at that time (Houston, LA), but they put one in Cleveland anyway.

Saratoga Slim
12-12-2006, 08:34 AM
That said, the flip side is that Modell DID move the Browns to a more profitable location. Who knows what Ralph's successor will do. I'd hate to see the team move, and then have to wait for the NFL to possibly give us a new one.

Saratoga Slim
12-12-2006, 08:38 AM
That's the last I'm going to talk about this. At this point it's all absolutely speculation. Most of the things we spend our time worrying about never happen. Enjoy Bills football, its still here.

jamze132
12-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Well if the franchise is going to be moved, we should have a "sit-in" so they can't physicaly move the stadium. 60's style!

RockStar36
12-12-2006, 08:51 AM

The Browns left Cleveland. After that, I pretty much saw that anything can happen.

Although I doubt it will happen, if the Bills leave I think it would be hard for me to even watch NFL football.

HHURRICANE
12-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Guys, can we not worry about this right now. We are talking about something that would most likey not happen until 2010. The key to the Bills staying is winning. Can you imagine trying to move the Saints now?! I think Ralph is just doing some "Sabre Rattling" and working through his senility. I'd like to stay focused on this season and next when I know the Bills will still be playing here!!

Pride
12-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I think a lot of you need to read up on the Brown's and Modell's history.

Modell did NOT move the team because he wanted to. He was in negotiations for years with the city/state BEGGING for a new stadium. That ancient statdium was archaic, falling apart, unsuitable for a pro team of any sport to play in. Cleveland ignored him, thinking that he would never move the team.

After a decade of him trying to play the same game that Wilson is playing... he did eventually move the team.

I do not blame Modell at all for moving the team. Cleveland didn't realize what they had while they had it... and didn't miss it until it was gone. The only reason the NFL put a new team back in Cleveland was because after Modell left, they realized they F'ed up... got approval and funding for a new stadium... and showed the NFL they were serious about it.

HHURRICANE
12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I think a lot of you need to read up on the Brown's and Modell's history.

Modell did NOT move the team because he wanted to. He was in negotiations for years with the city/state BEGGING for a new stadium. That ancient statdium was archaic, falling apart, unsuitable for a pro team of any sport to play in. Cleveland ignored him, thinking that he would never move the team.

After a decade of him trying to play the same game that Wilson is playing... he did eventually move the team.

I do not blame Modell at all for moving the team. Cleveland didn't realize what they had while they had it... and didn't miss it until it was gone. The only reason the NFL put a new team back in Cleveland was because after Modell left, they realized they F'ed up... got approval and funding for a new stadium... and showed the NFL they were serious about it.

Great post and right on.

Has Wilson asked for a new Stadium yet?? It kind of scares me that he hasn't. Considering Buffalo needs the rejuvenation downtown don't we think it's about time?!!

BAM
12-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I'd probably just end my life.

Valerie
12-12-2006, 11:09 AM
The Browns left Cleveland. After that, I pretty much saw that anything can happen.

Although I doubt it will happen, if the Bills leave I think it would be hard for me to even watch NFL football.
And the Colts packed up in the dead of night and moved too. Anything can happen. And if decisions are being based soley on money.....who knows where the Bills could end up. It'll be a sad day, but like the players in this day and age, there is no loyality in spports anymore. Not to teams and not to their fans. If an owner thinks he can make more money by moving the team, then I bet he does it. Look at Oakland. They moved a few times too. And the Cardinals. I still can't say Arizona Cardinals. The Rams have moved. Nothing is impossible when you're thinking in terms of the almighty dollar. Sad as it may be.

DolfanTom
12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Great post and right on.

Has Wilson asked for a new Stadium yet?? It kind of scares me that he hasn't. Considering Buffalo needs the rejuvenation downtown don't we think it's about time?!!What exactly is wrong w/ your current stadium? All kidding aside, I like it. Plus, they did all those rennovations not that long ago. It's comfortable, you have capacity, and you have the boxes. Am I missing something?

Not saying a stadium in downtown Buffalo wouldn't be interesting, but I'm just not sure its necessary.

Personally, I just think your owner is a grumpy old man who doesn't understand modern business. He needs to sell the team immediately. I may kid, but I don't want to see your team move. I live Upstate too.

Jayhawk
12-12-2006, 12:20 PM
how about SABURZONE??? :biggrin: visited by people named Blaine, and Brad

gr8slayer
12-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Im sad :(

THATHURMANATOR
12-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Don't be sad they won't leave.

gr8slayer
12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Don't be sad they won't leave.
They better freaking not. I dont know what I would do with my self.

Mitchy moo
12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
This is posturing by wealthy folks for more money, nothing more.

Night Train
12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Timeout from the Jonestown Cocktail party.

Right now, the qualifiers haven't been worked on and everyone is just posturing with threats and attracting media hype.

Let's all give a big hand for the Weak Of Mind Drama Queens Repertory Theatre. Take a deserving bow. :bf1:

Mitchy moo
12-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Timeout from the Jonestown Cocktail party.

Right now, the qualifiers haven't been worked on and everyone is just posturing with threats and attracting media hype.

Let's all give a big hand for the Weak Of Mind Drama Queens Repertory Theatre. Take a deserving bow. :bf1:

I want more money and I am going to stir the pot to see what I can get. I really don't blame him but you have to realize the man owns a $700 M franchise and to complain about money when you can buy cheektowaga with Mall with one stroke of your check book is just ridiculous.

I think a major corporation buys the Bills and puts their stamp on everything that the Bills have there. Toyota could do this with 3 months interest from their stash, make it so.

Statman
12-12-2006, 02:11 PM
I tell ya, I was very concerned and very against the sale of the Bills in the past, but Tom Golsiano (sp?) has changed all of that for me.

Selling the Bills, keeping them in Buffalo and making them a better contending team can be done.

Ralph needs to let it all go and step into the light.
Yep!

Statman
12-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Ralph, if your tight ass can't afford to keep paying the salaries for this team, please sell it immediately. We need to keep it in Buffalo and can't afford to wait until you die. :(
Signed,

Mr. Compassion

The_Philster
12-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Ralph, if your tight ass can't afford to keep paying the salaries for this team, please sell it immediately. We need to keep it in Buffalo and can't afford to wait until you die. :(overreact much? Player salaries are covered by TV revenue

Michael82
12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
overreact much? Player salaries are covered by TV revenue
signing bonuses come out of the owner's pocket.

The_Philster
12-12-2006, 02:44 PM
signing bonuses come out of the owner's pocket.
signing bonuses are covered by the salary cap= TV Revenue

SABURZFAN
12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Or LickerZone !

there wouldn't be any left so that's a bad idea. :down:

Ingtar33
12-12-2006, 06:34 PM
read the artical, what ralph is saying makes sense.

1) the new jets/giants stadium will generate 50 mil in new UNSHARED revenue for EACH team

2) the Bills current stadium generates just 7 mil in unshared revenue

3) the New Jets/Giants stadium will RAISE the league salary cap by 5 mil for every team in it's first year in existence.

4) that means for teams like the bills their spending cap has been bumped by 5 mil, without any increase in the Bills shared revenue.

Do you see the issue?

What Wilson is saying is that unless the league gets serious about sharing revenue fairly teams in markets like buffalo won't survive. He's not saying he won't be able to keep the bills in buffalo, he's saying without the fair distribution of league revenues, this type of deal HARMS the chance for the Bills to remain in buffalo after he is gone.

Ingtar33
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
and no. nfl shared money only covers the league minimum salary (yes their is a salary floor). not the WHOLE of the salary cap... nor does it come close to covering the signing bonuses.

Typ0
12-12-2006, 11:36 PM
read the artical, what ralph is saying makes sense.

1) the new jets/giants stadium will generate 50 mil in new UNSHARED revenue for EACH team

2) the Bills current stadium generates just 7 mil in unshared revenue

3) the New Jets/Giants stadium will RAISE the league salary cap by 5 mil for every team in it's first year in existence.

4) that means for teams like the bills their spending cap has been bumped by 5 mil, without any increase in the Bills shared revenue.

Do you see the issue?

What Wilson is saying is that unless the league gets serious about sharing revenue fairly teams in markets like buffalo won't survive. He's not saying he won't be able to keep the bills in buffalo, he's saying without the fair distribution of league revenues, this type of deal HARMS the chance for the Bills to remain in buffalo after he is gone.

it's quite an unfortunate situation. If RW is posturing for anything it's for the NFL to kick in a new stadium here not the state...but he's also astute enough to realize the gap you speak of is never going to completely close without equal revenue sharing. With the league being a conglomerate of owner interests the most powerful voices in the league are the big market owners. They are never going to vote for anything other than maximizing revenues because they already have a team!

So as much as we are upset about RW comments over the past two years we have to step back and look at the fact that he's the only one (and perhaps the only one able to) not smoozing the high revenue teams and voting against them. This is a very sad state of affairs and the resolution to keeping the Bills in Buffalo clearly has nothing to do with football it has to do with correcting marketing problems in the area.

Ickybaluky
12-13-2006, 08:14 AM
and no. nfl shared money only covers the league minimum salary (yes their is a salary floor). not the WHOLE of the salary cap... nor does it come close to covering the signing bonuses.

This isn't true. The NFL Salary cap is set based on a percentage of league revenue. That is ALL league revenue. It used to be ony designated revenue, now it is TOTAL Revenue.

The cap ceiling is set by a percentage of those revenues. Those percentages start at 57% in 2006 and escalate to 58% in 2011. That ceiling includes salary and benefit costs.

There are adjustments made to that number, with a 5% Cost Deduction, covering things like the Youth Football program, NFL Europe, Players, Inc. payments, NFL Charities, etc.

Another deduction of 1.8% is made for the G-3 program, which is where the $300M in low interest loans for Giants stadium came from.

The adjusted revenue is called Total Football Revenue, but the percentages are adjusted go for 61.89% in 2006 to 62.95% in 2011.

The cap floor is set at 90% of the cap ceiling. That is the only way it is calculated.

It is true that signing bonus is the sticking point when discussing small market teams. The cap is an accounting figure, with signing bonus been amortized over a number of years. However, large markets have a big advantage coming up with those large amounts of money because they generate big local revenues, which are not shared by the same method (the supplemental sharing program shares some of this revenue). Thus, they can afford big bonus payments that give them an advantage in signing a player, although they are still bound by the same cap rules.

There is a method for sharing revenue, and far more revenue is shared than at any time previously, or for matter by any other league in any sport.

The larger markets believe that revenue should only be shared if teams are doing all they can to maximize their local revenues. They don't believe that market size is necessarily as big a hindrance as some small-market owners believe, and point to the fact that both Green Bay and Pittsburgh are among the leagues most lucrative franchises despite playing in small markets. They argue that some owners (see Brown, Paul) would like to sit back and do less work while sharing in the hard work of the teams that are more aggressive marketing their franchise.

Both sides have valid arguments, and the answer falls somewhere in the middle. It is true the local economy and a lack lf state support for any assistance towards a new stadium are going to be key obstacles in the Bills' future. However, on the plus side of the ledger there is a rabid fan base and a team that is ingrained into the local culture. Those are the same advantages that allowed Pittsburgh and Green Bay to thrive in the new market (Pittsburgh got a new stadium and Green Bay got some big stadium upgrades). The lack of those things are the reason that Jacksonville and San Diego are at risk.

IMO, Wilson sees that the market has changed and knows he needs two things in place for Buffalo to have a future with the Bills: A new or upgraded stadium and a solid backup plan for assistance from the NFL (both in terms of revenue sharing and stadium assistance).

gr8slayer
12-13-2006, 08:27 AM
I'd probably just end my life.
Count me in as well.