PDA

View Full Version : Bills kept things simple for JP

TigerJ
12-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I ran across this blurb in an article on young QBs in S. I. CNN.com

"Unless you're somebody like San Diego's Phillip Rivers or Dallas's Tony Romo, players who have had a few years to sit and learn, there's simply a lot for younger quarterbacks to digest, sometimes too much. Says Buffalo coach Dick Jauron: "There are so many things that can occur on a given play. You have to consider all the multiple fronts a quarterback can see and all the multiple pressures. He has to make decisions on all those things. I believe it's easy for us coaches to say that it's not a lot. This one more play won't be too much. But it is a lot, particularly if a guy is just learning."
Jauron and his staff have made a conscious effort to minimize the package they give to third-year quarterback J.P. Losman because they think it would still be counter-productive to throw too much at him. They're especially reluctant to give him too many complicated plays in passing situations on third downs, simply because they don't think he's ready to handle those challenges yet, especially not behind a weak offensive line. The Bills currently rank 30th in the NFL in third-down conversions because of that approach but they've seen Losman progress. After struggling mightily while trying to fit into Mike Mularkey's offense last season, Losman is gaining more confidence and his completion percentage has improved from 49.6 percent in 2005 to 63.2 this season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/12/12/comlex.nfl/1.html

More evidence that Dick Jauron and his staff has a better grasp of how to handle a young QB than did Mike Mularkey and his gang. Discus if you like.
<!--startclickprintexclude-->

ICE74129
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
especially not behind a weak offensive line.

That can't be emphasized enough

gr8slayer
12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
especially not behind a weak offensive line.

That can't be emphasized enough
Much better since bye.

justasportsfan
12-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Simplified O yet the bills have either met or surpassed everyones expectations except Skooby. Can't wait to see what JP can do once he's already a bonafide qb who has enough experience to call his own plays as he sees fit and once he's good at reading defenses with an OL and running game to help him out and better weapons.

mybills
12-12-2006, 12:58 PM
ICE & gr8, you're both right. But gr8, you've got to admit, they're still pretty weak.

Anyway, I'm wondering why they don't think he's ready for more this far into the season. They kept him in the pocket, and now he can throw from there. They let him roll out, which we already knew he could do. I've also noticed that his hand offs are improving, as well as fake hand offs. What do they want to teach him next...pump fakes? :scratch:

Mitchy moo
12-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Simplified O yet the bills have either met or surpassed everyones expectations except Skooby. Can't wait to see what JP can do once he's already a bonafide qb who has enough experience to call his own plays as he sees fit and once he's good at reading defenses with an OL and running game to help him out and better weapons.

I keep a high standard, lol.

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Interesting..

Anybody know where to find ESPN's Quarterback Power Rankings? I swear, I looked all over that damn site and I couldn't find it.

madness
12-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Interesting..

Anybody know where to find ESPN's Quarterback Power Rankings? I swear, I looked all over that damn site and I couldn't find it.

Here's week 13. This week hasn't been posted yet, probably later some time today.

PECKERWOOD
12-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Here's week 13. This week hasn't been posted yet, probably later some time today.

Where is it, did you forget to post it?

ICE74129
12-12-2006, 01:53 PM
ICE & gr8, you're both right. But gr8, you've got to admit, they're still pretty weak.

Anyway, I'm wondering why they don't think he's ready for more this far into the season. They kept him in the pocket, and now he can throw from there. They let him roll out, which we already knew he could do. I've also noticed that his hand offs are improving, as well as fake hand offs. What do they want to teach him next...pump fakes? :scratch:

Because when you can't run, they blitz the passer. When they do that with no threat of the run, he has no time to read the defense and let patterns develop.

they can't let him loose until the OL is fixed. I am sure they will try to pimp our current guys on us for next year saying 'they just need to jell' all the while JP will be running for his life next year too.

madness
12-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Where is it, did you forget to post it?

:doh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2686843