• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Latest word from TD

On Mike Peterson
    "Mike was here today and we did meet with him. The meeting went well. He has a couple more trips planned and we will be in touch with him. We generally don't get into a lot with players who are on tour and he's currently on tour."
    This interesting stuff about Peerless
    We had some discussions with Atlanta this weekend. Peerless (Price) was reportedly there. There really wasn't much substance to the talks this weekend.

We've had several calls concerning Peerless, with other teams that are more than anything probably just trying to feel out the situation.

We're not actively trying to move Peerless we want him back. We've said that from the beginning. We tried to get a long-term deal done with him and that didn't work. We are very comfortable if he wants to come back at the franchise figure. We can live with that for a year and we've tried to make that clear to his agent.

If we lose him we will probably go out and get another veteran WR but right now it's a speculation and we're hopeful that we can get him back. We think that there's a chance that could happen and that's what we are pursuing at this time. "
    Not only is TD not pursuing a trade but he would be content with having Price back at the franchise price. This could piss some of the people on the board off. Obviously it doesn't mean that Price will be here for sure, but it does show that TD isn't looking to dump him. However, if a good offer comes up, I'd think TD would take it.

On Spikes
    We have not made an offer, but we do have some interest in him. We have had some discussions with his agent and we are in the process of trying to set up a visit for him to come in meet our coaches and take a look at our football team.

Right now we are interested in a lot of guys because you're never sure how it's going to play out until this stuff begins. You don't know for example, we had Shawn Barber scheduled for a visit and he signed with Kansas City. That's just part of the game. We'll keep working at it and see how things go.
    Good thing, Spikes is coming into town.

About Hollis situation
    "We made an offer, his agent didn't like the offer so we'll have to wait and see where that goes.

I don't want to diminish what Mike did for us this year. He had a good year and we would like to find a way to get him back. Mike is one part of the puzzle and we have a lot of issue to deal with. We made him a fair offer and he didn't think it was that fair.

We'll see where it goes. I'm not going to say we don't want him, we want him back but it has to be under the right circumstances.

We're in the market looking for a kicker just like Mike is a free agent looking for a job. We're looking for a kicker and we're not going to sit around and wait until he decides and we expect that Mike is probably looking at some other situations."
    TD said the right things. We cannot overpay for a kicker and we have to pursue other kickers if Hollis is pursuing other teams.

He also said that they don't have any other scheduled visits at the time of the interview. He also said that they have been in contact with Sam Adams agent and have some interest in him too.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • ArcticWildMan

The line on Peerless is total BS. TD will not pay a #2 rcvr 5 mil a season.

It's just TD cranking up the heat on Atlanta.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Good Stuff

Comment

• kgun12
        • Jul 2002

On Mike Peterson
        quote:
        "Mike was here today and we did meet with him. The meeting went well. He has a couple more trips planned and we will be in touch with him. We generally don't get into a lot with players who are on tour and he's currently on tour."

I absolutely love this quote and TD. This man is a cold as Ice. Mike we like ya, but after your little tour and you decide what looks good call me, ok BYBY. Someone said it before, but it worth saying again. I would never want to paly poker with this man.
        Retired Air Traffic Controller
        USAF VETERAN
        DAV

Comment

• Fairway To Green
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
          The line on Peerless is total BS. TD will not pay a #2 rcvr 5 mil a season.

It's just TD cranking up the heat on Atlanta.

You read my mind AWM! Thats TD just showing his poker face to the falcons. What a bold face liar he is

Comment

• Schobel94
            The Sack Master
            • Jan 2003

TD is an incredible GM. He would never come out and say we want to trade Price, or heaven forbid, need to trade him. He's gonna act as if we not only don't mind him here, but WANT him here, and is shifting the want or need over to the Falcons, who then will feel they would have to up the offer. TD is very sly. Same thing with Hollis and Spikes, he knows what he's doing.
            Beware the sack master!

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

I still think there is a good chance Price will be in a Bills uniform next season.

Comment

• BillC
                The man in charge - Don't U forget it!
                • Jul 2002

I was thinking- we probably should have put the transistion tag on him instead.

If we were going to get stuck with him, we could have been stuck at about 20% less.

If someone made him an offer, we could have not matched it and gotten a #1 pick- then turn around and do the same with Takeo Spikes.

In TD we trust........

Comment

• Romes
                  • Jul 2002

With a transition tag there is no compensation. That means that if we had a tranisition tag on Price and another team made him an offer we could not match we would get nothing. Just as if we offer Spikes a contract Cincy cannot match we don't owe them anything.
                  Originally posted by paladin warrior
                  RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Shiny Chicken
                    Shinier than your mom
                    • Jul 2002

Romes is correct.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                      I still think there is a good chance Price will be in a Bills uniform next season.

You could be right. Chris Mortenson was on Sports Center last night, He said TD is likely to stick with that demand for a #1 pick because Bledsoe is really lobbying to keep Peerless here.

I still think he's gone next season. I will go on record to say if Peerless is here next season I will donate 1 zonebuck to you Typo:)

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

High Roller
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kgun12
                          On Mike Peterson
                          quote:

I absolutely love this quote and TD. This man is a cold as Ice. Mike we like ya, but after your little tour and you decide what looks good call me, ok BYBY. Someone said it before, but it worth saying again. I would never want to paly poker with this man.
                          Ya never know 12, everyone may just call his bluff and then who's gonna be on the short end. This is a game going both ways. Bad outcomes can happen just as well as good ones.

Potentially bad things:

We lose Hollis and can't sign a reliable K
                          No one bites on our "Price for a #1" offer
                          Price signs the sheet and as a result our efforts to "fix the D" are severely hampered

Potentially good things:

Price draws interest w/o tying up the FAcy process and valuable cap $
                          We end up w/ a reliable K
                          We fill our DT, WLB, and DE needs with solid+ players
                          We move Price before it costs us much

As far as "playing poker" goes, right now everyone is still holding their cards tight to their vest. So we'll see who starts collecting the pot. Until then, a bluff is only as good as how many people fall for it.
                          Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• venis2k1
                            Youboty can hope
                            • Jul 2002

Its getting to the point where i would be happy if we could move price for a high 2nd round pick, its still more than we would have had if we just let him walk, but maybe i'm just impatient.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                              Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                              • Jul 2002

No, I don't think you're impatient. I think you're one of the more realistic ones. This foregone assumption that we'll get at least a first rounder is totally baseless. As I've said before, if we hadn't grabbed Bledsoe last year for a first rounder, then no one would have. Ie., he, a proven and storied QB went for a 1st rounder and barely. So why this notion that we're easily gonna get a first rounder for Price?

The only teams IMO that may be interested in doing that would be Philly and Atlanta. Both have strong armed QBs who can throw from the scramble and deliver the downfield ball to Price and make full use of his speed. But as of yet I haven't heard a word about Philly being interested and by the sounds of it, it seems like Atlanta is "playing just as good poker" as TD is! Only they may be serious. So TD may be bluffing w/ junk.

I just don't see the interest for Price the way that many do. If he was gonna come cheap, say he still had 3 or 4 years left on his deal and was reasonably priced, then I suppose he may be worth a first rounder. But there's enough risk there in how well he'll play to not justify a huge salary and a first rounder.

And let's get real, which is worth more in today's NFL, a solid QB or a solid WR?

You're right on in your assessment. I still maintain that if we get a first rounder it'll be early when teams are overspending or it won't happen. That's why I keep saying we need to be prepared to remove the tag if we have the ability to sign some name defenders. Ie., the tag shouldn't "get in our way."
                              Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X