• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Ridiculous babble

Bills should build stadium closer to Rochester

(December 14, 2006) — The NFL Dallas Cowboys revealed specifics on their lavish new $1 billion stadium on Tuesday night, Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson again is warning that the league's small-market teams are doomed under the current system, and the Buffalo News reports that 47-year-old Lancaster Raceway Park is for sale.

My mind immediately linked the three items to the future of the Bills.

It is only a matter of time before the ever-growing corporate giant NFL puts pressure on the Bills to build a splendiferous new stadium for the team to remain financially competitive and maximize the revenue split among the 32 teams.

New York state taxpayers will be called upon to build this shrine to the NFL gods. There will be much public debate on the subject — and justifiably so.

I expect that the money ultimately would be approved to build a state-of-the-art facility, including many more of the private boxes that pad the revenue of the big-market teams. I can't see how policymakers in Albany could allow the NFL to abandon western New York. Losing the Bills would be catastrophic in terms of regional morale and national recognition.

If and when the stadium is built, it should be somewhere between Buffalo and Rochester. A site near Lancaster Raceway Park, only a few miles east of the first Buffalo Thruway exit, would be ideal.

----------------------

If the Bills are to survive here, it's not going to be because of the "tons of people" coming from points East. This guy obviously forgot that Buffalo is right next to one of the fastest growing areas in North America - Southern Ontario. Between the Buffalo and Toronto corridor here is a population base of nearly 10 million people... Buffalo and Rochester - 2, maybe 2.5 million. Southern Ontario alone is projected to grow to nearly 12 million people within the next 20 years. I don't see that kind of growth anywhere in NYS, and for the Bills to survive here the team needs to be easily accessible to that population base, not the dying municipalities in Upstate NY. There are just as many, if not more, people treking from S.O. to the games compared to those from places like Roch, Syr, etc.

Secondly, building a new stadium in another suburb is stupid, pointless even. For this team, area, and city to rebound economically it needs to hit a home run. This stadium cannot simply be a football stadium - it has to be a year-round facility in a central location, not out in a suburb to be used 10 times a year.

I am 110% against a domed building, but a roof is needed for this type of facility. Maybe build a stadium with a retractable roof. The roof can be open for sporting events (Bills, etc) and closed for everything else. Buffalo needs a state of the art facility that can double as a sports venue, convention center, etc. A new building could suit all the needs. Add hotels, venues (restaurants, pubs, etc) into part of the design and turn it into a gathering place, a major municipal complex instead of just a "stadium".

Putting an all-purpose building downtown with access to the 190, 90, 33, 5, etc will do wonders for the economy and should be able to handle the traffic issues. It will still be a 60-90 minute drive for those coming from Roch (wow, a Lancaster facilty cuts that drive down a whopping 10-15 minutes), Southern Tier, parts of PA, and people having to sit at the bridges won't have to deal with the congested mess that is the Thruway and/or 219 out in the burbs.

I think a lot of people are looking at this whole issue the wrong way, and a stadium "halfway between Roch and Buf" is more a deathnail than an advantage. It needs to be more than just "a stadium", people need to look at is a hub for activity, similar to what has been done in places like Baltimore. Build where the people are, where there's a need and desire for economic development, and where it's accessible for everyone, not a few thousand travelers from the east.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Ridiculous babble

A wysman did suggest Batavia. I wonder where he is these days

we'd lose the cannucks.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Bill Brasky
      • Jan 2004

Batavia is even worse.

Comment

• BillsNick
        • Jul 2003

I am originally from Rochester, and whenever I fly up, I stay there and go to games from Rochester.

Having said that, I care about Buffalo, and I totally support a stadium being built in downtown Buffalo. The city needs it, the fans need it, and the team needs it. All this "between the Roc and Buffalo" talk is not the answer. I would also support it if it happened that way, but I really think that it should be downtown Buffalo.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsNick
          I am originally from Rochester, and whenever I fly up, I stay there and go to games from Rochester.

Having said that, I care about Buffalo, and I totally support a stadium being built in downtown Buffalo. The city needs it, the fans need it, and the team needs it. All this "between the Roc and Buffalo" talk is not the answer. I would also support it if it happened that way, but I really think that it should be downtown Buffalo.
          SAme here. Moving the bills wouldn't be the BUFFALO bills anymore even if it's just nearby Rochacha.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dude
            that slimey ass of an admin at the zone
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
            If the Bills are to survive here, it's not going to be because of the "tons of people" coming from points East. This guy obviously forgot that Buffalo is right next to one of the fastest growing areas in North America - Southern Ontario. Between the Buffalo and Toronto corridor here is a population base of nearly 10 million people... Buffalo and Rochester - 2, maybe 2.5 million. Southern Ontario alone is projected to grow to nearly 12 million people within the next 20 years. I don't see that kind of growth anywhere in NYS, and for the Bills to survive here the team needs to be easily accessible to that population base, not the dying municipalities in Upstate NY. There are just as many, if not more, people treking from S.O. to the games compared to those from places like Roch, Syr, etc.

Secondly, building a new stadium in another suburb is stupid, pointless even. For this team, area, and city to rebound economically it needs to hit a home run. This stadium cannot simply be a football stadium - it has to be a year-round facility in a central location, not out in a suburb to be used 10 times a year.

I am 110% against a domed building, but a roof is needed for this type of facility. Maybe build a stadium with a retractable roof. The roof can be open for sporting events (Bills, etc) and closed for everything else. Buffalo needs a state of the art facility that can double as a sports venue, convention center, etc. A new building could suit all the needs. Add hotels, venues (restaurants, pubs, etc) into part of the design and turn it into a gathering place, a major municipal complex instead of just a "stadium".

Putting an all-purpose building downtown with access to the 190, 90, 33, 5, etc will do wonders for the economy and should be able to handle the traffic issues. It will still be a 60-90 minute drive for those coming from Roch (wow, a Lancaster facilty cuts that drive down a whopping 10-15 minutes), Southern Tier, parts of PA, and people having to sit at the bridges won't have to deal with the congested mess that is the Thruway and/or 219 out in the burbs.

I think a lot of people are looking at this whole issue the wrong way, and a stadium "halfway between Roch and Buf" is more a deathnail than an advantage. It needs to be more than just "a stadium", people need to look at is a hub for activity, similar to what has been done in places like Baltimore. Build where the people are, where there's a need and desire for economic development, and where it's accessible for everyone, not a few thousand travelers from the east.

Comment

• Jeff1220
              H to the 12:20
              • Jul 2002

Jfreeman, you should use this write-up to repsond to the article in a good old-fashioned letter to the editor.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                • Jan 2004

I don't have all the answers, I'm sure somebody could add suggestions, but I think it's a feasable start. These discussions need to start happening NOW if this team is serious about staying. Speaking with politicians in the area I know there are already behind-the-scenes talks about the future of this team - let's just say the idea of buying the Bills has been put into the heads of some prominent businesspeople - so even if Ralph refuses to discuss it, it's already being talked about behind closed doors. The community leaders really don't want to see this team walk.

But as somebody who does a considerable amount of driving, working in Rochester, and previously driving from Long Island to go to home games, I think it's ridiculous to plop an expensive structure in a lame suburb so a few thousand people don't have a drive an extra 10-15 minutes.

If you're coming from Roch, Syr, Albany, etc, you're already driving, what's an extra 10 minutes?

Put it downtown where the massive costs can be justified by spurring development.

The commute arguement is trivial to me.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Shumer said on the news last night that he and the state govt will do everything in their power to keep the bills here.

Lancaster speedway would be a prime central location but I don't see why it wouldn't be built downtown. I can't see the state or local govts ponying up money for a stadium that doesn't spur any growth at all. Make the stadium a retractable dome that has multipurpose use(ie convention center) put it on the waterfront near the canal project and boom we got something going.

Batavia is closer to Rochester than Buffalo. That would be a HORRENDOUS location. Being from Buffalo I had never even been to Batavia even once until I started going out with my girlfriend(from Batavia) There is nothing in that town and it is like 35 minutes from Buffalo.

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

LMAO typical buffalonians. A possible solution forms to save the team, and a good one at that, and you ***** because it might not be in buffalo. Friggin brilliant!

You people can't get out of your own way. 'we want it but we want it our way' uh sorry it doesn't work like that. If putting the Bills in between Buffalo and Rochester got them a new stadium, owner and kept them in WNY then so be it.

Comment

• BillsNick
                      • Jul 2003

Oh boy. Here we go.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                        LMAO typical buffalonians. A possible solution forms to save the team, and a good one at that, and you ***** because it might not be in buffalo. Friggin brilliant!

You people can't get out of your own way. 'we want it but we want it our way' uh sorry it doesn't work like that. If putting the Bills in between Buffalo and Rochester got them a new stadium, owner and kept them in WNY then so be it.
                        Don't you see though how we feel that it is a waste of time in the Lancaster speedway location?? It really isn't that much further to go from there to Orchard park(15 mins) Why spend all that money on a stadium that is used 8 times a year? It doesn't make sense in my mind. Also ICE don't you think that Buffalo needs to be smart if they want to turn the city as a whole around and that in turn will benefit the Bills?

If this is the only solution to keep the Bills here I wouldnt' have any problems whatsoever!

Comment

• gil
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129

a possible solution? from who, a Rochester Columnist? I think I see the State Senate speeding back to Albany to implement that right away!

and yes, typical Buffalonians, wanting an economic development project to happen in the heart of their city - geez, what will they want next, jobs to return to the city too? - have they no shame?

sorry for the sarcasm, I don't live there anymore, but I think downtown buffalo has a lot of potential and if it takes something like this to make it happen, then so be it - I, for one, would love to see it happen.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gilbert23b
                            a possible solution? from who, a Rochester Columnist? I think I see the State Senate speeding back to Albany to implement that right away!

and yes, typical Buffalonians, wanting an economic development project to happen in the heart of their city - geez, what will they want next, jobs to return to the city too? - have they no shame?

sorry for the sarcasm, I don't live there anymore, but I think downtown buffalo has a lot of potential and if it takes something like this to make it happen, then so be it - I, for one, would love to see it happen.
                            You get it. Ice lives in Tulsa.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                              • Sep 2003

Build it near Albany, ha ha... That way I could get season tickets!

Comment

Working...
                              X