PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adams Closer To Being A Bill Than You Know It

Brian H
03-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Bills | Talking With Adams - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
16:42 PT: The AP reports Buffalo Bills GM Tom Donahoe said the Bills had talks with free agent DT Sam Adams (Raiders). Donahoe dubbed talks with Adams "very preliminary." "We think Sam's a good player, and we'll continue to talk to his agent to see if it makes sense to pursue it."

angneli
03-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Do we have the room for Adams and either Spikes, Colvin, Peterson or Claiborne?

kgun12
03-03-2003, 10:39 PM
When and if we trade PP or remove the tag!

venis2k1
03-03-2003, 10:39 PM
we need a DT bad, but Adams is overpriced IMO.

justasportsfan
03-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
we need a DT bad, but Adams is overpriced IMO.

Who knows, maybe all he wants is all you can eat Buffalo wings.

kgun12
03-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Like he said Adams is overpriced :biggrin:

clumping platelets
03-03-2003, 11:24 PM

Would that count against the cap? :lol!:

Billz_fan
03-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets

Would that count against the cap? :lol!:

Depends if he gets extra blue cheese or not :up:

Tatonka
03-03-2003, 11:41 PM
how do you guys know he is overpriced? show me one thing that says how much he wants, because i havent seen squat

kgun12
03-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
how do you guys know he is overpriced? show me one thing that says how much he wants, because i havent seen squat

Look at the mans A$$, do you think we could afford that chicken wing bill! :peacesign

venis2k1
03-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

Wasnt he set to make like 10 million this year in Oak before they cut him?(you dont go from that kind of money to wanting the Vet minimum in one season, a season where you went to the SB no less) Also If TD was ready to pay him what he thinks he is worth, why didnt TD do it last year?

Mr. Miyagi
03-04-2003, 12:05 AM
Who needs Sam Adams when we have Genny?

WG
03-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by venis2k1

Wasnt he set to make like 10 million this year in Oak before they cut him?(you dont go from that kind of money to wanting the Vet minimum in one season, a season where you went to the SB no less) Also If TD was ready to pay him what he thinks he is worth, why didnt TD do it last year?

Yeah venis, but you have to remember that Oakland had absolutely no intention of honoring this year of that contract. They clearly signed him last year and went for all the marbles.

On Adams, he wasn't the player he was while in Baltimore last year on the Raiders. He had his lowest total tackle total ever and just seemed a bit slower all around. He'll be 30 and IMO Thornton would be a better pickup as someone who had similar numbers to Adams yet one who would come at a fraction of the cost and one that would set us up at DT for 4-6 years economically and reduce the cap hit this season so that we could sign other players.

venis2k1
03-04-2003, 01:41 AM
also if i remember right,twards the end of last offseason, when Sammy was the only good FA left I think i remember Sam almost signing with the Bengles(like the pen was in his hand, espn was reporting it like it already happened) he said he really liked the city, it was a young team that he can contribute to, a place where he could "end his career"...blah blah blah(then he went to Oakland for a 1 year contract). Im sure that Marvin Lewis being head coach there is like the icing on the cake to him. I will go as far as being shocked if Sam Adams does not sign with cincy.

WG
03-04-2003, 02:21 AM
Yeah, they seem to have plenty of cap room too. He may play harder for Lewis and Lewis may squeeze an extra year out of him.

I didn't realize it, but PW is gonna be 31 this year too. We may only have another good year or two outta him as well.

kgun12
03-04-2003, 02:31 AM
That's why I would make Thorton a priority this year, let some of our younger DT get more time, an draft another DT this year to take over for PW after next year of the year after.

venis2k1
03-04-2003, 02:42 AM
Williams still has "young" knees, he didnt play alot early in his career, While its hard to say when a player "calls it quits" I can see PW playing well into his mid 30s.(assuming no major injurys.)

while he is going to be 31, he only has 33 starts under his belt, there isnt alot of wear and tear there.(share care bears.)

WG
03-04-2003, 02:48 AM
Sounds like a plan 12!

venis, you must be young, in your 20s, eh? LOL

No matter who you are, once you get into your mid 30s, w/ very rare exceptions, usually smaller spritlier guys, you slow down. Your muscles/body just don't respond as quickly as it used to. It sucks playing flag and in your mind you've done something before, but now while your trying, your body just ain't cooperating. LOL

Things slow down, perhaps less so at the NFL level w/ less use as you said, but age still takes its toll. That's why the speed players die out sooner. It's easier to maintain strength than it is speed. PW's play is based in good part on speed, especially for a DT. That's why I think it will hurt him sooner than later.

Of course, then there's always the balance of what you're paying a player and what you're getting out of him. Andre Reed, Thurman, and Smith didn't quite get that far. They all wanted to get paid in then dollars for what they had done 5 - 10 years earlier. :)

kgun12
03-04-2003, 02:58 AM
Wys if you think the 30's are tough wait to you hit the 40's. It sucks. My coworker say 50 is not as bad, but I told him it was cause he was too old to remember his 30's. lol

venis2k1
03-04-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
venis, you must be young, in your 20s, eh? LOL

18, you know-it-all ;)

WG
03-04-2003, 03:19 AM
LOL both!

I'll be 40 in May. :eek:

The_Philster
03-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by kgun12

Look at the mans A$$, do you think we could afford that chicken wing bill! :peacesign

Well...BillsZone can provide the wing sauce. ;)

Ð
03-04-2003, 06:42 AM
His ass makes Kirby Puckett's or Frank Thomas' look svelte

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2003, 08:53 AM
I think I would also rather have Thorton!!!

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by kgun12

Why are you checking out another man's A$$? :eek:

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Ð
His ass makes Kirby Puckett's or Frank Thomas' look svelte

You too. Are you guys from San Fran?

The Colonel
03-04-2003, 09:33 AM
The fat bastard almost single handedly closed down one of my Baltimore locations, and made me rethink my "All You Can Eat" buffet policy.

Schobel94
03-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Actually Pat is only gonna be 30 this year. Also I dont want Adams, I dont like him cuz he seems like an ass. I want him to go to Cinci so they cant afford Spikes.

colin
03-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Pat is a freaking Ninja. Enough of this sillyness.

WG
03-04-2003, 10:27 AM

Why are you checking out another man's A$$? :eek:

You guys are scaring just!

He recently moved up from Miami, so you'll have to pardon him.

If ya ever drop anything on the sidewalk down there ya better look around and make sure no one's within 20 yards before bending down to pick it up.

Eh just!

:D

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

You guys are scaring just!

He recently moved up from Miami, so you'll have to pardon him.

If ya ever drop anything on the sidewalk down there ya better look around and make sure no one's within 20 yards before bending down to pick it up.

Eh just!

Yup, enough of this sillyness.

BTW Wys you dropped your mouse! :hubba:

WG
03-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Time for this thread to get back on track...

BillsNYC
03-04-2003, 11:12 AM
whats he gonna cost??