• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

Schobel rejects "high motor" label

Don't describe Aaron Schobel as a "high motor" guy.

He thinks it's "nonsense."

LOL!

I can't stand when talented pass rushers like Schobel get stuck w/ "high motor" as their defining quality.

Schobel's defining quality is his initial burst & speed upfield. And, of course, all the sacks -- 2nd most in the AFC since he's been in the league. To dismiss all his natural ability & immediately attribute all his success to being "high motor" is dismissive & insulting.

Guys who lack big-time numbers -- but show a lot of effort -- deserve "high motor" as their primary characteristic. Guys like Ryan Denney or Chris Kelsay. They're pretty good players but they're not defined by freakish athletic ability like Schobel. And I don't mean that in an insulting fashion, I'm just trying to point out where the term "high motor" is more applicable.

Buffalo News article

But what I especially like is how Schobel pimped his athletic ability w/ some cold, hard numbers.

"I think I'm quicker than most - believe it or not I am," he said. "I think I'm able to bend, being as athletic as I am."

Then he spit out the numbers from his predraft workout at the 2001 NFL Combine like it was yesterday.

"Let me tell you all some stats," Schobel said. "Thirty-eight-inch vertical [jump], 4.03 shuttle, the third fastest at the combine. So I've got some burst. Y'all didn't know that either, but it's there."
    Schobel is the man!
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Re: Schobel rejects "high motor" label

He better make the probowl this year.

Perhaps McGahee should have tried to do some PR work for him in addition to London Fletcher on the NFL network yesterday (or was it the day before yesterday).
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Statman
      • Oct 2003

How does one define "high motor?"
      Facts speak louder than opinions

Comment

• Billsrock4life
        • Nov 2005

He and Kelsay are both pretty quick

Comment

• JoeMama
          Emotion Sickness
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
          He better make the probowl this year.
          For real.

Schobel should've been in the pro-bowl long before 2006.

When you're 2nd in the AFC in total sacks over the course of your career, something ain't right if the NFL isn't taking notice.
          Last edited by JoeMama; 12-14-2006, 02:55 PM.
          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Marvelous
            • Feb 2004

Many a times Schobel has made a play & either forced a fumble, sack, etc well after the main burst.. The guy is relentless.

Hands down my favorite current Bills player..
            GO BILLS!!! NE
            Magical Trevor

Comment

• JoeMama
              Emotion Sickness
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Statman
              How does one define "high motor?"
              It's a term that's usually associated w/ white defensive ends.

If that's the main "positive" you hear in regard to a player, it's ostensibly a nice way of saying that player lacks natural ability &/or impressive tangibles -- but will still get some production thanks to second effort & coverage sacks.

Which is treatment worthy of finishing 3rd in the special olympics. "He's not real talented, but he sure does try hard!"

So it's no wonder Schobel doesn't want that to be his default charactaristic. He should be praised for his tangibles first & foremost. Not his "high motor".

On a side note...

One thing that's always struck me as odd is whenever you read draft previews, there's this tendency for writers to compare white DE's to other white DE's. Ditto for black DE's.

Has anyone else ever noticed that?

Comment

• Dolfan984
                • Jul 2003

He's having a great year. He deserves a probowl spot backing up Taylor.

Comment

• Kerr
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

He deserves to make the pro bowl especially if he holds to stay in the top 3 of the league. Every year schobel has gotten better and better. He's one guy the team doesn't have to worry about replacing for a long time.

Comment

• Romes
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama
                    It's a term that's usually associated w/ white defensive ends.

If that's the main "positive" you hear in regard to a player, it's ostensibly a nice way of saying that player lacks natural ability &/or impressive tangibles -- but will still get some production thanks to second effort & coverage sacks.

Which is treatment worthy of finishing 3rd in the special olympics. "He's not real talented, but he sure does try hard!"

So it's no wonder Schobel doesn't want that to be his default charactaristic. He should be praised for his tangibles first & foremost. Not his "high motor".

On a side note...

One thing that's always struck me as odd is whenever you read draft previews, there's this tendency for writers to compare white DE's to other white DE's. Ditto for black DE's.

Has anyone else ever noticed that?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Same thing applies to QB's and how all black QB's seem to "mobile/scrambling" QB's. It bothers me.
                    Originally posted by paladin warrior
                    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• JoeMama
                      Emotion Sickness
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Romes
                      Yeah, I noticed that too. Same thing applies to QB's and how all black QB's seem to "mobile/scrambling" QB's. It bothers me.
                      That's very true.

And it seems like such a shallow, insulting fashion to illustrate similarities b/w players.

Correlations b/w players only need to match up in terms of talent, not skin color.

Aaron Schobel plays a hell of a lot more like Jason Taylor than Grant Wistrom.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

However someone takes it, I think "high motor" is a good thing to be called. I don't see it as derisive in any way.

Lee Evans is high motor. Angelo Crowell. Terrence McGee. Doesn't mean at all that they're not talented.

"High motor" just means better than low motor.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                          • Nov 2005

The Pro Bowl is a joke.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

Yes... high motor means white. It should be equally offensive to Schobel as it should be to black DE's, as you will never hear that tag about them, which implies they're lazy, or don't work hard.

there were a lot of so called "draft" experts who declared Leftwich, as "mobile", and JP as a pocket passer.
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Why does everything have to be about race?
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X