PDA

View Full Version : Denney

Gunzlingr
12-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I was watching JJ's highlight video (which is awesome like always), and noticed that it seems Denney is right there in most all the plays. Maybe he wasn't such a bad signing afterall.

ICE74129
12-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I was watching JJ's highlight video (which is awesome like always), and noticed that it seems Denney is right there in most all the plays. Maybe he wasn't such a bad signing afterall.

I honestly have no problems with our ends at all, but we have a DIRE need for a HUGE run stuffing DT. Marv needs to realize the tampa D isn't working and we need a slight change to become more successful.

RedEyE
12-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I think injecting Hargrove has helped the line tremendously. He has absorbed a considerable amount of pressure off the other players.

Romes
12-15-2006, 10:09 AM
His fumble recovery was great. He didn't try and pick it up and take it to the house he just fell right on top of it. Just like the coaches teach you.

BillsNick
12-15-2006, 10:11 AM
I like Denney :up:

OpIv37
12-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Denney's kinda like Schobel was two years ago- he'll have a monster game, then fall off the face of the earth for 3 games. He has to be more consistent to be worth his $10 million contract.

justasportsfan
12-15-2006, 11:21 AM
He was my sleeper pick for the year.

Clog up the middle so they don't have to worry about supporting the run game and our DE's will have a field day in the backfield.How many sacks does Kelsay and Denney have between them ?

madness
12-15-2006, 11:46 AM
He was my sleeper pick for the year.

Clog up the middle so they don't have to worry about supporting the run game and our DE's will have a field day in the backfield.How many sacks does Kelsay and Denney have between them ?

Kelsay and Denney both have 5 each. Tripplett has 2.5 and Hargrove has 1.5.

There were various articles on Kelsay and Denney both being able to benefit from this new system in the beginning of the year and they are backing it up. They both had to play over their "comfort" weight in recent years and took some underserved criticism for not playing up to an acceptable level.

The last buffalo fan
12-15-2006, 12:02 PM
We are not the best DEs of the league, but we are a top 10 on this department. With the DT help from FA, the 2006 draft class, and next year's draft help, our defense will improve ALOT.
:bandwagon

justasportsfan
12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Is PAt Williams still serviceable for a couple of years? I'm almost sure he won't mind coming back to play for Marv and retire a bill.

Saratoga Slim
12-15-2006, 12:32 PM
I honestly have no problems with our ends at all, but we have a DIRE need for a HUGE run stuffing DT. Marv needs to realize the tampa D isn't working and we need a slight change to become more successful.

I agree that our ends are good enough. We can't have pro-bowlers at every position. Whether or not he makes it, Schoebel is Pro-Bowl caliber. And Denney and Kelsey are good enough to hold up the other side. they're certainly not a weakness.

I disagree that the D "isn't working" but agree that DT is where we need help. Run defense needs to improve significantly. If it does, we'll have a nasty defense--they're already pretty good against the pass and at creating turnovers. I think it can work, and I think that between Triplett, McCargo, and Hargrove, we have the smaller, penetrating DT position locked down.

I think the weakness on the line is only one position: the Anderson/Williams DT position. We need either 1) Kyle Williams to bulk up and be more of a runstopping beast next year, or 2) like you say, bring in a bigger nose tackle type. I don't think we want to abandon the system by just bringing in a huge, slow-moving, space-eating DT. We still want a guy that can launch himself into the backfield with good acceleration to disrupt things. We need a Sapp, Harris or similar type guy that's quick but, if he isn't 340, is strong enough to play like it.

Saratoga Slim
12-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Is PAt Williams still serviceable for a couple of years? I'm almost sure he won't mind coming back to play for Marv and retire a bill.

as much as I love the thought of Pat Williams coming back (I was very pissed when he left), I don't see it happening. Is he a free agent? Even if so, not sure he's the type of DT they're looking for now. He's not really a break into the backfield kind of guy.

justasportsfan
12-15-2006, 12:52 PM
as much as I love the thought of Pat Williams coming back (I was very pissed when he left), I don't see it happening. Is he a free agent? Even if so, not sure he's the type of DT they're looking for now. He's not really a break into the backfield kind of guy.
I disagree. He was always in the backfield making sacks or tackles behind the LOS for losses even though it wasn't a cover 2 scheme.

I doubt we'll get him but you'll never know when the Vikes decide to go young and get rid of him due to cap implications. He signed with them with a huge contract that TD didn't want to match? It's just a thought since McArgo lost valuable time and experince which will hamper his growth. I'm also happy with Kyle but he still needs more consistency that experience will fix.

Saratoga Slim
12-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I disagree. He was always in the backfield making sacks or tackles behind the LOS for losses even though it wasn't a cover 2 scheme.

I doubt we'll get him but you'll never know when the Vikes decide to go young and get rid of him due to cap implications. He signed with them with a huge contract that TD didn't want to match? It's just a thought since McArgo lost valuable time and experince which will hamper his growth. I'm also happy with Kyle but he still needs more consistency that experience will fix.

I'm not going to argue very hard on this one. I'd love to have Big Pat back in a Bills uniform.

The more I think about it, maybe we DO want a BIG, space eater for obvious run downs. Even an older guy like Big Pat. Kyle Williams will likely improve, and he'll get better against the run as he learns to fill the right gaps etc with more time in the system. Kyle can be the every down kind of guy, and we can throw the big DT in there to firm things up in obvious run situtations.

Even though I believe in the Tampa 2, I think it is a liability to have small DTs on short yardage situations. This might be a good compromise.

justasportsfan
12-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm not going to argue very hard on this one. I'd love to have Big Pat back in a Bills uniform.

The more I think about it, maybe we DO want a BIG, space eater for obvious run downs. Even an older guy like Big Pat. Kyle Williams will likely improve, and he'll get better against the run as he learns to fill the right gaps etc with more time in the system. Kyle can be the every down kind of guy, and we can throw the big DT in there to firm things up in obvious run situtations.

Even though I believe in the Tampa 2, I think it is a liability to have small DTs on short yardage situations. This might be a good compromise.

I'm not trying to argue either becuse we do both want him back if it makes sense for the team which I am not sure about. For a big guy though , he just didn't eat up spcae. He was able to collapse a pocket . He may not be a 3 or 2 technique DT or whatever we're looking for but if causing problems in the backfield is what we're looking for, he dodid that very well .

I'm not sure anymore if he can since I don't follow the vikings but in a rotational system, I think he still may have enough in the tank for a couple of years while the young ones improve.

BillsNick
12-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I still wish that we kept Sam Adams.

hammerbillsfan
12-15-2006, 02:37 PM

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/Nuttyncrazy/bigsam1.gif

justasportsfan
12-15-2006, 02:39 PM
he's another guy who could get to the backfield but Moolarkey wanted him to stay in place which is where they had their difference.

BillsNick
12-15-2006, 02:45 PM
he's another guy who could get to the backfield but Moolarkey wanted him to stay in place which is where they had their difference.

I've never seen a guy his size get in the backfield so quick. He was really great for us and he was underutilized.

We miss you, Sam! :cry:

Saratoga Slim
12-15-2006, 02:46 PM

On paper, yes. I'm wondering if it was more an attitute and ambition related cut. We were looking to put the dissention issues of last year behind us, and to create a hungry young squad. Otherwise, seemed like Sammy Adams would have been great in a rotation with Kyle Williams. I agree.

BillsNick
12-15-2006, 02:50 PM
All I know is, that you'd see this humungous fat slob, trudging around like a walrus, then he would be in the backfield in the blink of an eye.

He was amazing.

hammerbillsfan
12-15-2006, 02:54 PM

Lookout for BIG SAM!

BillsNick
12-15-2006, 03:12 PM

Lookout for BIG SAM!

HBF :hi5: BN

billsburgh
12-16-2006, 05:17 AM
I've never seen a guy his size get in the backfield so quick. He was really great for us and he was underutilized.

We miss you, Sam! :cry:
I saw him do it a few times for Cinci last week.