PDA

View Full Version : This is why we aren't selling out this year

BillsNick
12-15-2006, 11:19 AM
It's not the Bills fault that we're not selling out games. It's not Ralph Wilson's fault either. It's actually Tom Golisano's fault!

"Through 29 games, the Sabres had won 22 and earned at least a point in 24. Now, a great hockey town is hockey crazy. The Buffalo News recently said these Sabres are "being embraced by this town like few other teams have."

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=158953

raphael120
12-15-2006, 11:20 AM
its hard to pay for both teams

but its ok, next year the bills will be the ones on the roll!

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2006, 11:21 AM
I LOVE the Sabes but have only been to 1 game so far this year. Seasons for the Bills are my first love!

Michael82
12-15-2006, 11:29 AM
I have been saying this forever now. :crazy:

Michael82
12-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Here's my post from the other thread.....

That part is what proves my point. It's the Sabres. when the Bills have been sucking over the last 7 years, people would still get tickets to them because they weren't going to the Sabres games. In Buffalo, the Sabres were always the team to watch in January-June or July and the Sabres season would begin for many people when the Bills season ends. Now that the Sabres are the hottest or 2nd hottest team in the league, Buffalo is watching them and spending tons of money on them. And this has been since September. So when the Bills have been looking like **** for the first half of the season, many Bills fans in Western NY considered the season over and put all their focus on the Sabres. Now, even when they are looking good and "back in it" those fans are still on the Sabres bandwagon and not back to the Bills. I don't understand why. It appears that the money they had for the Bills tickets and merchandise has already been spent on tons of Sabres gear and Sabres tickets and now the Christmas gifts and stuff.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Whats not to understand Mike? You explain why in your post.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2006, 11:42 AM
by the way the Bills really arent back in anything. They have a .5% chance to make the last wildcard.

Michael82
12-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Whats not to understand Mike? You explain why in your post.
Thanks. But it seems like I'm banging my head into the wall. It's pretty clear to me. I remember a few years ago, or even last year...people always used to call into WGR and get them to talk more about the Buffalo Bills because it's Bills season, not Sabres season. Many people admitted on the radio that the Sabres season doesn't begin for them until after the Bills season is over with. This year it's different. Because of how exciting they are and the fact that the Sabres were one period away from the Stanley Cup Finals, people have flooded the bandwagons like crazy. Hell, you cant find much Sabres stuff here in Rochester either. And the jerseys are impossible to find. It's flying off the shelves just as fast as it goes up. With everyone focusing their attention and money on the Sabres, it's very tough for a 73,000 seat stadium to sell out, especially when they looked like crap in the first half. That's the only thing I can think about for the reason why the Bills are struggling to fill the stadium. I think it will be better next year, but the later games will still have problems selling out. :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks. But it seems like I'm banging my head into the wall. It's pretty clear to me. I remember a few years ago, or even last year...people always used to call into WGR and get them to talk more about the Buffalo Bills because it's Bills season, not Sabres season. Many people admitted on the radio that the Sabres season doesn't begin for them until after the Bills season is over with. This year it's different. Because of how exciting they are and the fact that the Sabres were one period away from the Stanley Cup Finals, people have flooded the bandwagons like crazy. Hell, you cant find much Sabres stuff here in Rochester either. And the jerseys are impossible to find. It's flying off the shelves just as fast as it goes up. With everyone focusing their attention and money on the Sabres, it's very tough for a 73,000 seat stadium to sell out, especially when they looked like crap in the first half. That's the only thing I can think about for the reason why the Bills are struggling to fill the stadium. I think it will be better next year, but the later games will still have problems selling out. :ill:
Dude they were always Sabres fans so they aren't flooding bandwagons. The Sabres are putting a quality team on the ice, the likes of which Buffalo hasn't seen before. Not to mention the players are down to earth and accessible to the fan base(they are seen out and about all over the place, The only Bill I have seen around town in the last 5 years is Losman). Couple that with the Bills horrible play in the last 7 years and to start this season and bam the Sabres now own this town. It will not be hard for the Bills to win it back(a good close to this year and a solid offseason), but it is what it is right now. It isn't rocket science.

Demon
12-15-2006, 12:04 PM
When Sabres were down and Bills in their solid years with Donahoe, Sabres couldn't get any hype and their attendence was horrid all the way til January. Buffalo has troubles supporting both teams and IMO the Sabres need to advertise more in Southern Ontario like in Hamilton and Rochester areas because i feel Bills dominate those markets, and when Bills are bad those people are the ones not going and the diehards in Buffalo or close by, prefer Sabres over Bills during times like this.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
No it is winning and losing. If the bills were a game or 2 better right now both the Bills and Sabres would be selling out no problem.

Statman
12-15-2006, 12:08 PM
So what then, the extra five thousand fans that bought season tickets to the Sabres this year over other years have broken the bank on the Bills?

Sounds like a pretty flimsy margin of error for fan support in the area.

It's not like Marine Midland Arena seats 75 thousand people with half of them having switch their focus from the Bills to the Sabres. Only 20 thousand fans can see a Sabres game and of the other several million people in the region the Bills can't find another several thousand to backfill the handful that decided to buy Sabres tickets over Bills tickets.

Uh, OK.

Demon
12-15-2006, 12:09 PM
No it is winning and losing. If the bills were a game or 2 better right now both the Bills and Sabres would be selling out no problem.

Yeah, thanks to people from Rochester.

When their losing, people don't waste their time and money to drive hour and a half.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah, thanks to people from Rochester.

When their losing, people don't waste their time and money to drive hour and a half.
Of course we have no way of proving that either way, but thanks...

Michael82
12-15-2006, 12:12 PM
what you just stated constitutes as a fair-weather fan. :::

Michael82
12-15-2006, 12:13 PM
So what then, the extra five thousand fans that bought season tickets to the Sabres this year over other years have broken the bank on the Bills?

It's not like Marine Midland Arena seats 75 thousand people with half of them having switch their focus from the Bills to the Sabres. Only 20 thousand fans can see a Sabres game and of the other several million people in the region the Bills can't find another several thousand to backfill the handful that decided to buy Sabres tickets over Bills tickets.

Uh, OK.
no, with the amount of Sabres games, many people buy them individual and buy them on stub hub or ebay for ridiculous prices. Not all of them are season ticket holders.

Patrick76777
12-15-2006, 12:15 PM

Agreed!

Demon
12-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Of course we have no way of proving that either way, but thanks...

Besides the fact Bills has around 20K season tix holders last year from Rochester and this year it's around 14K..?

Patrick76777
12-15-2006, 12:18 PM
what you just stated constitutes as a fair-weather fan. :::

Not everybody is crazy die-hard like us.

I'm sure a good number of those going to Sabres games are band wagon jumpers.

But at the same time, others are just average sports fans that would rather spend money on a winner.

I just went down to the Sabres store on my lunch. The place was mobbed. Huge lines! I couldn't help but think that a few of those people should go to the game on Sunday.

Patrick76777
12-15-2006, 12:19 PM

But at the same time, others are just average sports fans that would rather spend money on a winner.

I just went down to the Sabres store on my lunch. The place was mobbed. Huge lines! I couldn't help but think that a few of those people should go to the game on Sunday.

BTW, if the Bills start 7-1 next year. You won't be able to get a ticket anywhere! No matter how good the Sabres are.

Michael82
12-15-2006, 12:25 PM

You should have scolded some of them and told them that there are two Pro teams in the city. :up:

Bill Brasky
12-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Besides the fact Bills has around 20K season tix holders last year from Rochester and this year it's around 14K..?

Where the hell are you getting these numbers... I want proof before I believe these comments.

Demon
12-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Where the hell are you getting these numbers... I want proof before I believe these comments.

It was in the rochester paper last year right after Donahoe called fans "jerks".

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2006, 12:34 PM

Plus chicks love hockey players. They would rather go to Sabres than Bills, especially cold weather games where they can't slut it up as much.

THATHURMANATOR
12-15-2006, 12:35 PM

Uh, OK.
This I agree with you on Statman.

justasportsfan
12-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Here's my post from the other thread.....we got it the first tme ICE, I mean Mikey. :D

Saratoga Slim
12-15-2006, 01:03 PM
BTW, if the Bills start 7-1 next year. You won't be able to get a ticket anywhere! No matter how good the Sabres are.

In the words of Adam Schein, "I could not agree more." That's not a knock on the Sabres, I just think that everybody in B-Town loves football, while hockey tends to be a little more cultish. If the Bills are winning, the seats are full no matter what. Whereas the Sabres probably need both a) a truly special season like this one with the national media all over them and b) the Bills losing games, to take fans away from the Bills.

Bill Brasky
12-15-2006, 01:06 PM
It was in the rochester paper last year right after Donahoe called fans "jerks".

Who found the numbers... did the Bills release those, because all they give is numbers, they don't say who's buying from where. I'm skeptical...