PDA

View Full Version : Not to rehash this... but do you think it's possible...

Pride
12-15-2006, 07:02 PM
That Direct TV NFL Sunday Ticket plays any part in a regionalized team such as the Bills not meeting ticket sales deadlines?

Far Drives, Cold Weather, etc... I know many people may prefer to watch the game on satellite TV. Just a thought.

YardRat
12-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Games are blacked out on Sunday Ticket also...I don't think very many fans outside the region travel to the games that much, anyway.

The economy and the product on the field have more to do with it than anything, IMO.

Pride
12-15-2006, 08:17 PM
What do you mean Sunday Ticket is Blacked out? Outside of Buffalo they aren't. I mean, I see them down here in PA even when there is a blackout. That's what I am referring to. If people from 100 miles away can watch it from the comfort of they're own home... why would they travel and brave the elements?

That was my point.

Dozerdog
12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
People who drive that far aren't the wishy - washy "ooh it might be cold out- I'm staying home" types

Usually if they drive that far to see games, they are pretty hard core. I think Direct TV impact is minimal

Ebenezer
12-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Sabres, six years of losing, poor economy, people who would rather sit at home...it all adds up. I have to admit I am shocked that this one didn't sell out. I think people in Buffalo are just tapped out. Put a winner on the field and the fans will be back. I don't care what people say about Buffalo - at one time it may have been but it is not a great sports town. They love a winner. The Sabres couldn't give tickets away when they were bad. Very few people go to college games. HS?? forget it. Compared with other areas this is not a town that gets up and goes to sporting events unless their team is winning.

OpIv37
12-15-2006, 08:52 PM
I have Sunday Ticket, but even if I didn't I still wouldn't be able to make the trip. I'm short on vacation days and it would cost at least $350 in tickets, gas, food and hotel for my wife and I to go, about $250 or so if I went by myself. Plus, I have things to do.

The Sunday Ticket option played no part in my consideration. If I didn't have it, I still wouldn't be able to go to the game this weekend.

X-Era
12-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Games are blacked out on Sunday Ticket also...I don't think very many fans outside the region travel to the games that much, anyway.

The economy and the product on the field have more to do with it than anything, IMO.

Only blacked out to people inside 75 miles. Unlike cable, I think its a true 75 miles from the stadium, not if the coverage channels area is inside 75 miles.

I live about 90 miles from Buff and havent missed a game, yes even the ones blacked out on my local cable.

Yes, I can see Prides arguement. But, if I had to chose between paying for NFL Sunday ticket or running the risk of blackout because I was stuck on local, Ill pay for the guaranteed coverage from DSS.

X-Era
12-15-2006, 10:13 PM
That Direct TV NFL Sunday Ticket plays any part in a regionalized team such as the Bills not meeting ticket sales deadlines?

Far Drives, Cold Weather, etc... I know many people may prefer to watch the game on satellite TV. Just a thought.

Besides, whos complaining?

Fans who go will move up to the best seats even though they didnt pay for them. Fnas who bought NFL Sunday Ticket, will watch it and be happy. Only local Buff cheapos who wont pay to go, wont take their chances on DTV, and want to count on cable will be stuck.

Ralph and his Buff team? F him, he cryed when we sat there with 15 mil under the cap this past year, were set to have 30 something under and hes still crying.

Dont pay to put the best on the field, and the fans dont show to support the team, see a pattern?

TigerJ
12-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I think there are three reasons for the failure to sell out home games.

1. Some fans became disgusted by the Donahoe era Bills and decided they weren't going to waste their money on a lousy product any more. Season ticket sales were down somewhat placing more dependence on single game sales. They will come back gradually if the product on the field improves. I expect next season ticket sales will be pretty level. If the Bills make the playoffs next season, they will go up quite a bit in 2008.

2. The Bills now have some hot competition for the sports entertainment dollar in the Sabres. That's the curse of a small market. Many of the fans who like the Bills also like the Sabres and this being economically depressed Western NY can't afford to sink major bucks into both venues. The Sabres look poised not only to make the playoffs but to make a serious run at the Stanley Cup. Fans who might other wise go to Bills games are spending their sports entertainment dollars on Sabres tickets instead.

3. 'Tis the season for shopping for Christmas presents. That reduces discretionary spending money available for Bills games, as well as reducing discretionary free time.

The Packers are a small market team, but there is no competition from another sports franchise. Therefore, I don't think the Packers are affected as much by an extended period of team mediocrity as are the Bills.

YardRat
12-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Only blacked out to people inside 75 miles. Unlike cable, I think its a true 75 miles from the stadium, not if the coverage channels area is inside 75 miles.

I live about 90 miles from Buff and havent missed a game, yes even the ones blacked out on my local cable.

Yes, I can see Prides arguement. But, if I had to chose between paying for NFL Sunday ticket or running the risk of blackout because I was stuck on local, Ill pay for the guaranteed coverage from DSS.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900046

Blackout Rules for Local Team Home Games

<!-- @cms: insert text subheader -->
<!-- begin optional target/ordering module -->
A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.
Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium.

Michael82
12-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Sabres, six years of losing, poor economy, people who would rather sit at home...it all adds up. I have to admit I am shocked that this one didn't sell out. I think people in Buffalo are just tapped out. Put a winner on the field and the fans will be back. I don't care what people say about Buffalo - at one time it may have been but it is not a great sports town. They love a winner. The Sabres couldn't give tickets away when they were bad. Very few people go to college games. HS?? forget it. Compared with other areas this is not a town that gets up and goes to sporting events unless their team is winning.
:bf1:

RockStar36
12-16-2006, 08:53 AM
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900046

Blackout Rules for Local Team Home Games

<!-- @cms: insert text subheader -->
<!-- begin optional target/ordering module -->
A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.
Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium.

Good post. I'm glad to get clarification on this, however I think DirecTV is a little screwed up. On the page itself it has a zip code tool to find out what local area you are in and according to this I'm not in the Bills local area, yet I'm blacked out.

RockStar36
12-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Actually, I also put in my old zip code and the zip code of my local CBS station and neither came up with the Bills. I was able to watch the Jags game at a bar. It was blacked out at most bars but I called around and found someone with it. The Chargers game was the only one I couldn't find. These rules are making less and less sense as time goes on.

RockStar36
12-16-2006, 01:10 PM
So according to DirecTV my zip shouldn't be blacked out, yet when I use the zip code tool on the site the same zip as the Ralph also doesn't list the Bills, so something is messed up w/ the site.

According Wikipedia I would be blacked out. They state almost the complete opposite of what DirecTV says.

The NFL defines "locally" as within a 75-mile radius of the stadium. Therefore, a TV blackout not only affects the home team's primary market but also any secondary market whose broadcast signal penetrates into the 75-mile radius. Some primary media markets may cover that entire radius and so the blackout would not affect any other markets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television#Blackout_policies

TigerJ
12-16-2006, 06:54 PM
It really depends on the broadcast area of the station that is going to carry the game, RockStar, in this case, your local CBS affilates. If their signal reaches any location within the 75 mile blackout area, they cannot carry the game. A few years back it was learned by the NFL that the signal from the network affiliate carrying Bills games in Syracuse reached a small area inside the blackout zone. They had to stop broadcasting the blacked out games.

SabreEleven
12-16-2006, 11:33 PM
I have Sunday Ticket, but even if I didn't I still wouldn't be able to make the trip. I'm short on vacation days and it would cost at least $350 in tickets, gas, food and hotel for my wife and I to go, about $250 or so if I went by myself. Plus, I have things to do.

The Sunday Ticket option played no part in my consideration. If I didn't have it, I still wouldn't be able to go to the game this weekend.

Plus don't you have to buy her a $150 new purse every time you go?