PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Line

Devin
12-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Schobel is having another career year, and Kelsay/Denney have combined for 11 sacks thus far. So our DE's have given the Bills 23.5 sacks.

My question is two fold.

1. What do you do with Hargrove? Mold him into a DT or let him compete for the starting DE opposite Schobel. At 6'3, 275 lbs he can certainly play DE, and while a little light has done well at DT.

2. Would you rather sign a guy like Jared Allen, Justin Smith or maybe someone else at DE and keep Hargrove inside at DT?

At DT we have Triplett, McCargo and Williams all not going anywhere. Anderson is a UFA I believe. I dont believe we will spend a Day 1 pick on DT again, and Im sure most here are happy to part with Anderson.

OpIv37
12-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Cut Kelsay and Anderson (or let him go if he's a UFA).

Let Hargrove and Denny fight it out for the DE position.

Get a DT who can actually stop the run to replace Anderson. And another DT who can stop the run if one is available.

TigerJ
12-16-2006, 06:44 PM
I like Hargrove as a DE better than as a DT. My natural inclination would be to move him and go a different direction to bolster the DTs. Unfortunately, the DTs in free agency are pretty much crap this next offseason. If Buffalo is going to get reinforcements there, it will have to be in the draft, and to do that you probably have to go day one. Kyle Williams is a player, but you don't find many like him on day two, and Kyle is pretty limited in terms of upside. If Buffalo's line were as strong as we'd hope for, Williams is probably nothing more than a rotational player.

So that's the area I'm looking hardest at in the draft. Frank Okam, Amobi Okoye and Quinn Pitcock are guys I'm looking at.

gr8slayer
12-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Unless there is a blockbuster player on the market (Freeney, Peppers kind of player) we should just stick with what we have at DE. Tripplett is a heck of a player and who knows about McCargo? He is going to get a chance next year since he is a first round pick.

Devin
12-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Quinn Pitcock is probably the best run-stuffer in the draft at DT, and he has great size for a Cover 2 scheme. I just find it hard to believe Marv will draft another DT in the 1st. Pitcock is a late first - early second projection right now.

My inclination is to do the same. Kelsay is an ufa as well I believe.

DE: Schobel
DT: Triplett/McCargo
DT: Williams/???
DE: Hargrove/Denney

Unfortunatley that last DT piece is key. And this years FA class of DT's is pretty weak.

gr8slayer
12-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Quinn Pitcock is probably the best run-stuffer in the draft at DT, and he has great size for a Cover 2 scheme. I just find it hard to believe Marv will draft another DT in the 1st. Pitcock is a late first - early second projection right now.

My inclination is to do the same. Kelsay is an ufa as well I believe.

DE: Schobel
DT: Triplett/McCargo
DT: Williams/???
DE: Hargrove/Denney

Unfortunatley that last DT piece is key. And this years FA class of DT's is pretty weak.
If McCargo can play he will play. Its that whole "we have so much money invested in him" thing.

HHURRICANE
12-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Cut Kelsay and Anderson (or let him go if he's a UFA).

Let Hargrove and Denny fight it out for the DE position.

Get a DT who can actually stop the run to replace Anderson. And another DT who can stop the run if one is available.

Denney and Kelsay both Suck!!

HHURRICANE
12-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Schobel is having another career year, and Kelsay/Denney have combined for 11 sacks thus far. So our DE's have given the Bills 23.5 sacks.

At DT we have Triplett, McCargo and Williams all not going anywhere. Anderson is a UFA I believe. I dont believe we will spend a Day 1 pick on DT again, and Im sure most here are happy to part with Anderson.

I like Hargrove at DE. However, we need to get rid of the Kelsay/Denney experiment. Take out the Culsacker game and their stats look very mediocre.

YardRat
12-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Keep the ends we have, add a DT to replace Anderson, let Hargrove switch inside/outside throughout the game as a situational substitute. If he can beat out Denney/Kelsay for the start, though, that's fine w/me and let one of them be the utility sub.

DraftBoy
12-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Ill take Okoye in the 3rd if he falls, only 20 so he is very raw but his size is amazing.

raphael120
12-16-2006, 09:50 PM
i really like what we are seeing right now.

if anything, even if we dont make it to the playoffs, we are seeing what kind of depth we have at our positions, and hell, we had a pretty busted up D and we played damn good against the jets and plenty other teams with players on our team hurting.

as far as our D goes:

definitly need a stud DE to team with schobel...bring hell from both ends.

have kyle williams put on more weight (which is what jauron was sayin he wanted to do, also)

I really dont think we're going to bring in any stud DT's because we have 2 rookies that, when developed, shuold be pretty solid.

Our big area of concern on our D:

LB's, CB's.

If we resign Clements, that takes care of the CBs...i'd like to see them draft one in the mid-late rounds tho.

As for LB's, this is a huge must, I'm talking 2nd round, 3rd round, pick up a stud MLB, OLB. We NEED to fix this run d.

As for our offense:

We NEED a FA WR brought in, or a steal WR in a late round. We need someone to compliment Lee, Price is a 3rd WR at BEST, and Davis is not starting material.

We DEF need to draft an OL in the first round, and maybe even second round too. The starters we have are average at best, i think we need to upgrade RG, RT. Maybe even LG...but if anything, get some better depth because with Peters not in the line, we go back to the first part of the season where our oline was nothing more than a red carpet leading to JP.

RB...i dont know...a-train is a one trick pony and quite frankly, he hasnt impressed me when he's come in to relieve mcgahee...and shaud is a smurf.

FB...shelton is one old dude...i dont know if he's going to stick around, but we should bring in someone else to develop.

We have decent depth at all our positions, and when we bring in more talent, it means the starters we have that are mediocre will make good backups behind whatever fresh, better talent we have.

With this draft coming up, i think we're one step closer to getting into the playoffs...really liking our coaching staff and all the adjustments they make to keep us in the game...ive never been so exicted about bills football for years now, and im happy with what's beginning to happen.

kernowboy
12-17-2006, 04:31 AM
I'd go LB in Round1 - I'm not sure OL is such a need especially on the left hand side. I would like to bring in a RG (David Diehl, NYG) but think Pennington or Butler with more bulk and a year in the system can handle the right. Gandy needs to be resigned to guard money only or we may want to take a longer look at Merz. With all the depth at OT in the draft we can pick up a decent LT in R3 who can back up Peters or we can even be more radical and move him to LG.

At CB, Clements needs to be resigned but I think Youboty will do well and we may want to think about bringing in a vet with upside like Mike Rumph to support him if Nate moves elsewhere.

At RB, I think we need to move Willis on to get something back as I believe he won't resign. Therefore we can pick up someone like Dawson or Wolfe on Day2 and maybe sign TJ Duckett to a one year deal. The RB of the future can come in 2008.

If a DE like Patrick Kerney becomes available we MUST sign. A Kerney/Schobel partnership looks and sounds nasty. Again there is little in FA at DT so I can see the R3 pick being spent here to replace Anderson.

I think we also need a TE and we may move to a 2xTE set replacing the need to get an FB unless one becomes available