PDA

View Full Version : How the Bills can make the playoffs

Scumbag College
12-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Considering that in all likelihood every team in first place in their respective divisions will win that division, there are eight teams still mathematically alive for two wild card spots. Of course, the Bills will have to win out, but using the tiebreaker info used here:

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/a/nfl_tiebreakers.htm

the Bills will need all but one of the following scenarios to happen in order to make the playoffs. (This is not counting if there is a three way tie, which I would try to figure out but my head might explode.)

NYJ- If the Jets lose to Miami on Christmas and end up at 9-7, the Bills will win the tiebreaker due to the fourth tiebreaker within division opponents, conference record. The Jets will have the same record both within the division and between common opponents if they lose to Miami.

Pitt- Due to a poor conference record (4-7) Bills will win a tiebreaker even if Pitt finishes 9-7.

Tenn- if the Bills beat them next week, the best they can do is 8-8.

KC- Also has a poor conference record (3-6) and if they lose only one more game and the Bills win out, Buffalo wins that tiebreaker.

Denver- will win a tiebreaker between Buf and themselves due to a strong conference record (7-4) They're beating ARI right now, but have Cincy @ home next week and SF @home the week after that. They have a one game lead over the Bills right now.

Jax- The Bills win against them a couple weeks ago means they win any tie breaker if they finish with the same record. They have NE next week and then are at KC and are only a game up on the Bills right now.

Cincy- currently have a one game lead on the Bills, but have the toughest schedule (@Indy Monday, vs. @Denver, vs. Pitt.) If they lose to the Colts tomorrow, that will mean that The Bills and Denver will have to move into the fourth tiebreaker between non division opponents, strength of victory. Just eyeballing this, I think Cincy would have the advantage.

I hope I figured all this stuff, but here's the biggest things the Bills will need (besides winning out.)

1. The Jets to lose next week @ Miami.
2. KC and Jax to lose one of their remaining games.
3. To have either Cincy and/or Denver fall apart.

Kerr
12-17-2006, 04:55 PM
:up: Sounds possible.

The only thing I think people will have a tough time doing is rooting for the fins.

MikeInRoch
12-17-2006, 04:56 PM
people will have a tough time doing is rooting for the fins.

It will require a LOT of alcohol...

Billzz
12-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Hate the phish, but if it means our Bills going the the playoffs, then so be it.

MikeInRoch
12-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Of course, I can look at it this way...

Everyone additional win for the Dolphins = a worse draft position for them.

BlackMetalNinja
12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
So basically we need the Phins to beat the Jets, KC and Jacksonville to each lose once and either Cinncy or Denver to lose twice still right?

Devin
12-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Fins over the Jets - Knocks out the Jets
NE over the Jags - Knocks out the Jags
San Diego over KC - Knocks out KC (I think we have the tie breaker anyway)
Denver or Cincy lose twice

Basically if Denver wins tonight, we need to pull for Indy on monday night and Denver next week.

Scumbag College
12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
So basically we need the Phins to beat the Jets, KC and Jacksonville to each lose once and either Cinncy or Denver to lose twice still right?

I think so except for Cincy...

as far as Cincy, if there is a tiebreaker it's going to come down to "Strength of Victory," which is the winning percentage of teams that you've beaten. I really think the Bills would lose this though. So, I think the best shot here is to have Cincy lose out, which is very possible looking at their schedule.

Now, there might be a three way tiebreaker to look at. However, there are so many permutations and variables regarding this, it would take all week to figure out all the different scenarios.. If the Bills beat Tenn next week, probably nothing could be done about this until after the Jets-Fins game on Christmas night.

Elminster
12-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Looks like the Donkeys are getting in. Now we need to the Bengals to bungle...

YardRat
12-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Just beat Tennessee next week, and take it from there.