PDA

View Full Version : The most impressive Drive from Losman today

ghz in pittsburgh
12-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Losman is a big play QB. He's known for that in his college days, and he has shown that consistently in the pro. He'll probably always be remembered as such. But it is his steady improvement over the small plays, like making every throw count, finding the open guy on third down, knowing where the pressure will be from and countering it, that floated his overall effectiveness as an NFL QB.

On that drive, you see him threw just enough to convert 3rd downs, took what defense gave him and ran for a 1st down, making adjustments by throwing to Thomas when there was an unaccounted for blitzer, and finally put the ball in a place that led to open space for Reed resulting a TD. Look, we are talking about Tom Brady stuff here. Notice no big plays like a 36 yard bomb, but just effective and you let you teamates make plays for you.

Losman did all of those stuff here and there this season. He's just getting more consistent and putting all these things together more recently. The 50 yard bombs will always be there as long as he still has his arm. When he really masters the small plays, he'll be a big star in this league.

BTW, did anyone see the difference in big play capabilities between Harrington and Losman today? Losman is a master on long bombs - I'm not talking about the physical ability like arm strength, he knows how to do pump-and-go, how to look off safeties, the whole 9-yard. Harrington, on the other hand, locked on to his target whenever he looks for long plays and never had that other arm motion (fakes etc.) down pat. No wonder Nate and the Bills' secondary knew where he was going with the ball the whole time.

Bling
12-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I caught a couple of times where I said, Oh **** if he throws another like that, we got ourselves an INT. He's definitely got a nice arm.

I don't know if you guys have designed this and practiced it, but I remember my FSU Seminoles designed plays where they would underthrow it just so our guys can only catch it. Either Losman has incredible touch or you guys are designing it, but when your guys are isolated (especially Evans), your Wr's are dangerous threats.

SABURZFAN
12-17-2006, 07:28 PM
reed did a great job to get in the end zone. :up:

ghz in pittsburgh
12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
The first 26 yard scrambling completion to Royal is a bone-headed throw and Losman got lucky. He might be looking at a different target than Royal but under that weather condition, it's ill-advised.

The last TD to Evans was by design. Losman himself said as such in post-game interview. Just like the Reed's TD throw and catch, this one is between Losman and Evans, they both knew it was a comeback route because, as Losman put it, that the corner is quite far ahead of Evans but didn't look back when Losman threw the ball.