• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

The Blind Squirrel Did Find a Nut

Wilson called old friend Marv Levy to calm his aging nerves last winter. Because many believed Ralph couldn't think beyond " what's for lunch ? " , he offered Marv the GM job. Marv,with zero experience took it with and the Media had a field day with the "Sunshine Boys" jokes, making Buffalo a running joke of the entire NFL this past off-season. Then Marv hired Jauron to even louder laughter. ESPN wouldn't let it die for nearly 2 months. We all had to wonder but the media dropped the gavel right there and declared this a factual mistake,giving it zero chance.

Fast forward 11 months and what have we discovered ?

Marv may be over 80 but still is sharp as ever. He hired a younger image of himself in Jauron, believing he could get this team organized and headed in the proper direction. He chose...wisely.

It wasn't going to be fixed in one season. Even as the season began, it was obvious the Bills were still a few starters short, through no fault of the new regime. Just get this headed in the right direction and let the kids, especially Losman, play and see if they're the actual long term solution at their respective positions.

The coaching staff came out conservative and allowed Losman very little reign on offense, while plugging 4 or 5 rookies into the D lineup. It looked grim after the 10-22 Pats game but the bye week week allowed a 2-5 team to make some changes to the lineup and coaching plan.

Since then, we are 5-2, with close losses to both San Diego and Indy. We haven't played one bad game in the 2nd half. The team still needs more players but plays it's collective backside off every week. Many young players are growing up before our eyes and we're CLEARLY a team on the rise.

And going into this season, that's all most sane people wanted. Just show us you're moving in the right direction and not selling us fools gold, like the last several years. Then we can actually hold some real hope for the upcoming off-season, when we attempt to make the roster even stronger and make a run at a playoff spot.

It's falling into place quite nicely, wouldn't you say ?
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: The Blind Squirrel Did Find a Nut

Nice post...I agree.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Great post.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

I"m stilll no fan of Jauron, but I'd be biased if I said he hasnt had a huge positive effect on the attitude of this football team..

With the exception of the Detroit and chicago games, he's had this team ready to play every week... and you can see the chemistry developing on the field..

He's done well to this point.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• jamze132
          • Jun 2003

I actually kind of like Dick.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

No. We still have a cheap assed owner that thinks its everyone elses job to fund his team.

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
              Wilson called old friend Marv Levy to calm his aging nerves last winter. Because many believed Ralph couldn't think beyond " what's for lunch ? " , he offered Marv the GM job. Marv,with zero experience took it with and the Media had a field day with the "Sunshine Boys" jokes, making Buffalo a running joke of the entire NFL this past off-season. Then Marv hired Jauron to even louder laughter. ESPN wouldn't let it die for nearly 2 months. We all had to wonder but the media dropped the gavel right there and declared this a factual mistake,giving it zero chance.

Marv may be over 80 but still is sharp as ever. He hired a younger image of himself in Jauron, believing he could get this team organized and headed in the proper direction. He chose...wisely.

It wasn't going to be fixed in one season. Even as the season began, it was obvious the Bills were still a few starters short, through no fault of the new regime. Just get this headed in the right direction and let the kids, especially Losman, play and see if they're the actual long term solution at their respective positions.

The coaching staff came out conservative and allowed Losman very little reign on offense, while plugging 4 or 5 rookies into the D lineup. It looked grim after the 10-22 Pats game but the bye week week allowed a 2-5 team to make some changes to the lineup and coaching plan.

Since then, we are 5-2, with close losses to both San Diego and Indy. We haven't played one bad game in the 2nd half. The team still needs more players but plays it's collective backside off every week. Many young players are growing up before our eyes and we're CLEARLY a team on the rise.

And going into this season, that's all most sane people wanted. Just show us you're moving in the right direction and not selling us fools gold, like the last several years. Then we can actually hold some real hope for the upcoming off-season, when we attempt to make the roster even stronger and make a run at a playoff spot.

A flippin-men my brother!

I think it makes this off season even MORE critical. If we draft correctly and ADD not SUBTRACT in FA, we can be a contender. Wheres Marlon Brando when you need him.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                I actually kind of like Dick.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Great post!

Comment

• G. Host
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2002

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                      I"m stilll no fan of Jauron, but I'd be biased if I said he hasnt had a huge positive effect on the attitude of this football team..

With the exception of the Detroit and chicago games, he's had this team ready to play every week... and you can see the chemistry developing on the field..

He's done well to this point.
                      Don't worry, you wouldn't be biased. You'd be dead wrong.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

dick really does remind me of marv.

same attitude.. same smarts.. and the players really want to play for him.

and it seems that after his first failed tenure in chicago, he has righted what cost him his job their and is doing it right here, just like marv in kansas city and then in buffalo.

fun to watch.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                          No. We still have a cheap assed owner that thinks its everyone elses job to fund his team.
                          can't you enjoy anything???

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                            • Jan 2003

When Disk was hired I was disgusted. I had my eyes rolling and cus words rolling off my tounge. After a few games I was convinced. He was as bad as I thought.

Im still not convinced, but I am willing to let him go till the end of next season.

I may have been wrong. First time for everything I suppose
                            The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                              • Sep 2003

Marv,with zero experience took it with and the Media had a field day with the "Sunshine Boys" jokes, making Buffalo a running joke of the entire NFL this past off-season. Then Marv hired Jauron to even louder laughter. ESPN wouldn't let it die for nearly 2 months.
                              And we can thank Tom Donahoe's influence over at ESPN for that negative media frenzy...

Comment

Working...
                              X