PDA

View Full Version : The Blind Squirrel Did Find a Nut

Night Train
12-18-2006, 05:12 AM
Wilson called old friend Marv Levy to calm his aging nerves last winter. Because many believed Ralph couldn't think beyond " what's for lunch ? " , he offered Marv the GM job. Marv,with zero experience took it with and the Media had a field day with the "Sunshine Boys" jokes, making Buffalo a running joke of the entire NFL this past off-season. Then Marv hired Jauron to even louder laughter. ESPN wouldn't let it die for nearly 2 months. We all had to wonder but the media dropped the gavel right there and declared this a factual mistake,giving it zero chance.

Fast forward 11 months and what have we discovered ?

Marv may be over 80 but still is sharp as ever. He hired a younger image of himself in Jauron, believing he could get this team organized and headed in the proper direction. He chose...wisely.

It wasn't going to be fixed in one season. Even as the season began, it was obvious the Bills were still a few starters short, through no fault of the new regime. Just get this headed in the right direction and let the kids, especially Losman, play and see if they're the actual long term solution at their respective positions.

The coaching staff came out conservative and allowed Losman very little reign on offense, while plugging 4 or 5 rookies into the D lineup. It looked grim after the 10-22 Pats game but the bye week week allowed a 2-5 team to make some changes to the lineup and coaching plan.

Since then, we are 5-2, with close losses to both San Diego and Indy. We haven't played one bad game in the 2nd half. The team still needs more players but plays it's collective backside off every week. Many young players are growing up before our eyes and we're CLEARLY a team on the rise.

And going into this season, that's all most sane people wanted. Just show us you're moving in the right direction and not selling us fools gold, like the last several years. Then we can actually hold some real hope for the upcoming off-season, when we attempt to make the roster even stronger and make a run at a playoff spot.

It's falling into place quite nicely, wouldn't you say ?

YardRat
12-18-2006, 05:27 AM
Nice post...I agree.

Mitchy moo
12-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Great post.

patmoran2006
12-18-2006, 06:23 AM
I"m stilll no fan of Jauron, but I'd be biased if I said he hasnt had a huge positive effect on the attitude of this football team..

With the exception of the Detroit and chicago games, he's had this team ready to play every week... and you can see the chemistry developing on the field..

He's done well to this point.

jamze132
12-18-2006, 07:10 AM
I actually kind of like Dick.

ICE74129
12-18-2006, 07:11 AM
No. We still have a cheap assed owner that thinks its everyone elses job to fund his team.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 07:15 AM
Wilson called old friend Marv Levy to calm his aging nerves last winter. Because many believed Ralph couldn't think beyond " what's for lunch ? " , he offered Marv the GM job. Marv,with zero experience took it with and the Media had a field day with the "Sunshine Boys" jokes, making Buffalo a running joke of the entire NFL this past off-season. Then Marv hired Jauron to even louder laughter. ESPN wouldn't let it die for nearly 2 months. We all had to wonder but the media dropped the gavel right there and declared this a factual mistake,giving it zero chance.

Marv may be over 80 but still is sharp as ever. He hired a younger image of himself in Jauron, believing he could get this team organized and headed in the proper direction. He chose...wisely.

It wasn't going to be fixed in one season. Even as the season began, it was obvious the Bills were still a few starters short, through no fault of the new regime. Just get this headed in the right direction and let the kids, especially Losman, play and see if they're the actual long term solution at their respective positions.

The coaching staff came out conservative and allowed Losman very little reign on offense, while plugging 4 or 5 rookies into the D lineup. It looked grim after the 10-22 Pats game but the bye week week allowed a 2-5 team to make some changes to the lineup and coaching plan.

Since then, we are 5-2, with close losses to both San Diego and Indy. We haven't played one bad game in the 2nd half. The team still needs more players but plays it's collective backside off every week. Many young players are growing up before our eyes and we're CLEARLY a team on the rise.

And going into this season, that's all most sane people wanted. Just show us you're moving in the right direction and not selling us fools gold, like the last several years. Then we can actually hold some real hope for the upcoming off-season, when we attempt to make the roster even stronger and make a run at a playoff spot.

A flippin-men my brother! :posrep:

I think it makes this off season even MORE critical. If we draft correctly and ADD not SUBTRACT in FA, we can be a contender. Wheres Marlon Brando when you need him.

Night Train
12-18-2006, 07:50 AM
I actually kind of like Dick.
:shocked:

Michael82
12-18-2006, 08:21 PM

Great post! :bf1:

G. Host
12-18-2006, 11:41 PM
:clap:

madness
12-18-2006, 11:59 PM
I"m stilll no fan of Jauron, but I'd be biased if I said he hasnt had a huge positive effect on the attitude of this football team..

With the exception of the Detroit and chicago games, he's had this team ready to play every week... and you can see the chemistry developing on the field..

He's done well to this point.

Don't worry, you wouldn't be biased. You'd be dead wrong. :bullseye:

Tatonka
12-19-2006, 01:40 AM
dick really does remind me of marv.

same attitude.. same smarts.. and the players really want to play for him.

and it seems that after his first failed tenure in chicago, he has righted what cost him his job their and is doing it right here, just like marv in kansas city and then in buffalo.

fun to watch.

Ebenezer
12-19-2006, 03:14 AM
No. We still have a cheap assed owner that thinks its everyone elses job to fund his team.
can't you enjoy anything???

Billz_fan
12-19-2006, 04:04 AM
When Disk was hired I was disgusted. I had my eyes rolling and cus words rolling off my tounge. After a few games I was convinced. He was as bad as I thought.

Im still not convinced, but I am willing to let him go till the end of next season.

I may have been wrong. First time for everything I suppose :laughter:

DynaPaul
12-19-2006, 05:41 AM
Marv,with zero experience took it with and the Media had a field day with the "Sunshine Boys" jokes, making Buffalo a running joke of the entire NFL this past off-season. Then Marv hired Jauron to even louder laughter. ESPN wouldn't let it die for nearly 2 months.

And we can thank Tom Donahoe's influence over at ESPN for that negative media frenzy...

Night Train
12-19-2006, 06:28 AM
It's a shame we didn't have a Pats game scheduled in the 2nd half of the season. We would have given them a good game.

No matter. I'm not marking those 2 games down as sure losses anymore. We can play with anyone and will have a better roster entering 2007. 3-3 in the Division this year. We have a legit shot at improving on that.

mybills
12-19-2006, 06:41 AM
It's a shame we didn't have a Pats game scheduled in the 2nd half of the season. We would have given them a good game.

Your first post gets a :10: Well said! :bf1:

As for this one, I was thinking the same thing...I would love to see them play NE now. :snicker: :evil:

kernowboy
12-19-2006, 06:49 AM
I don't think Ralph is tight with the contents of his wallet.

He lost faith with how his money was being squandered by Tom Donahoe. He is not a Snyder who can just throw his money away. He also owns in a small market where he cannot raise equity like other teams can.

He trusts Marv. Whilst some of the FA signings have taken a little while to get going - Tripplett, Royal - overall it has not been as ugly as I initially thought. There have been some other FA signings elsewhere who have been shocklingly poor.

Marv won't through the entire fund away in FA. He will recognise that some upgrades may be required like at RG (David Diehl?). He will recognised that some players will so overprice themselves that they may need to be replaced like at RCB and MLB and will look to younger players who still have upside (Mike Rumph and EJ Henderson?). He will then use the draft to upgrade at NT (Okoye?) and at OLB (Posluzny?) as well as get additional depth on the OL especially cover at LT (Doug Free?)

Ralph wanted someone who will be sensible with his money, spending it intelligently as if it were his own ... he found that person in Marv.

Earthquake Enyart
12-19-2006, 06:53 AM
I personally think that Jauron has pushed every right button.

He's played the hand he's been dealt beautifully. I can't say that I've agreed with every single decision he's made, but I see the reasoning behind every one of them. I'm behind Dick all the way.