PDA

View Full Version : Reed, Royal diversify passing attack

The_Philster
12-18-2006, 07:58 AM
With wide receiver Josh Reed looking like a running back and tight end Robert Royal running deep routes like a wideout, the Buffalo Bills showed there is more to their passing game than J.P. Losman and Lee Evans playing pitch and catch. Although Evans had another productive afternoon, it was Reed and Royal who provided the biggest plays in the Bills' 21-0 victory over the Miami Dolphins. more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061218/2007776.asp)

OpIv37
12-18-2006, 08:10 AM
I won't go so far as to call Royal a "receiving threat", but it's amazing how much better Losman looks now that Royal has emerged as at least an option.

TigerJ
12-18-2006, 08:43 AM
There's no doubt Royal has been playing better. I like in particular that he has cut down on drops. Maybe it was just nerves in that he was never called on to catch a lot of passes. He's not Antonio Gates, but he may continue to improve a bit and be the TE the Bills need him to be.

BillsNick
12-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Anyone whose caught a touchdown pass in three straight games should be considered a receiving threat. I know that if I was the defensive coordinator of an opposing team, I would want to know where Royal is.

Personally, I like what we are doing with our TE's.

Reed has played well this year, as well as Price. Overall, I think we've got a pretty good set of receivers.

Kerr
12-18-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm not ready to call Royal a receiving threat just yet. He does have 2 TD's in the last two weeks, but he the team needs a litte more production out of him before you can consider him a threat. In yesterday's game he got so wide open because of a blown coverage and jp took advantage of it. With that said, I would keep Royal beyond this year because of his blocking and what seems to be, emerging receiving skills and sign a FA TE such as Daniel Graham who's a better receiver.

HHURRICANE
12-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Royal is a very good player. He was good the day he got here. He has spent his whole career being a blocking TE. The first part of the season is what he was doing. Since the bye, and the OL shuffle, he's been able to get open. He's not used to making alot of catches. The catch he made yesterday was alot more difficult that you realize. JP was throwing into a really bad wind and Royal made a nice adjustment to bring it in!!

If Cieslak comes around some more, and Everett picks it up a notch, we will not need another TE.

John Doe
12-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Royal is a very good player. He was good the day he got here. He has spent his whole career being a blocking TE. The first part of the season is what he was doing. Since the bye, and the OL shuffle, he's been able to get open. He's not used to making alot of catches. The catch he made yesterday was alot more difficult that you realize. JP was throwing into a really bad wind and Royal made a nice adjustment to bring it in!!

If Cieslak comes around some more, and Everett picks it up a notch, we will not need another TE.

Great post.

Royal is a consummate team player. Great character, hard worker, and great locker room presence. He will never be confused with Antonio Gates, but he is a really good fit for the Bills this year.

G. Host
12-18-2006, 11:18 PM
I won't go so far as to call Royal a "receiving threat", but it's amazing how much better Losman looks now that Royal has emerged as at least an option.

Royal became a receiving threat when JP became a passing theat for players other than for Evans.

G. Host
12-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Great post.

Royal is a consummate team player. Great character, hard worker, and great locker room presence. He will never be confused with Antonio Gates, but he is a really good fit for the Bills this year.

He has nice parents too - they still live in VA and come to my backers group to watch the game most weeks.

raphael120
12-18-2006, 11:20 PM
it's just nice to see the TE doing anything at all...the past how many years whens the last time a TE caught a TD pass? like...3 times in the past 3 years, here we got it 3 times in 3 games. these coaches are showing us that whatever the Bills were the past 7 years, is GONE. like marv said..the future is now...and the suckiness was then.

G. Host
12-18-2006, 11:23 PM
it's just nice to see the TE doing anything at all...the past how many years whens the last time a TE caught a TD pass? like...3 times in the past 3 years, here we got it 3 times in 3 games. these coaches are showing us that whatever the Bills were the past 7 years, is GONE. like marv said..the future is now...and the suckiness was then.

Campbell have FIVE in 2004. Soup was in the zone that year.