PDA

View Full Version : Time to play GM

YardRat
12-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Re-sign Willis McGahee, Nate Clements, and London Fletcher, use up a lot of cap money on these guys, and look for bargains in free agency...

or...

Let them and their big-dollar contracts go, replace them with younger guys in the line-up, and keep most of your cap maoney available for bringing in free agents?

WWMLD ??

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2006, 09:00 AM
39 million is a ton of money.

Re-sign Nate first and front load the deal.
Try to get Fletcher, but if they can't move Crowell or Spikes inside and start Ellison.

Extend Willis.

If there is still room try and sign Eric Steinbach to start at RG.

Patrick76777
12-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Re-sign Willis McGahee, Nate Clements, and London Fletcher, use up a lot of cap money on these guys, and look for bargains in free agency...

or...

Let them and their big-dollar contracts go, replace them with younger guys in the line-up, and keep most of your cap maoney available for bringing in free agents?

WWMLD ??

Keep those guys. Under TD we always let at least one big time player go a year. Then we'd spend the next 2 trying to replace them.

We have 35 mil under the cap and from what I hear the FA pool is not deep. So spend the cash on our guys.

Kerr
12-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Upgrade the #2 receiver spot with a FA like Drew Bennett.

Romes
12-18-2006, 09:03 AM
WWMLD ??

:rofl: do they sell those wristbands?

But seriously, pay nate clements because he is a playmaker. Pay fletcher because he is the heart and soul of the D.

I'd like to keep McGahee but he is 3rd to those 2 guys. If Willis leaves draft a RB. Draft a big receiver and some OL and I think we are good to go.

HHURRICANE
12-18-2006, 09:03 AM

or...

WWMLD ??

I really believe that Fletcher means more to this team than Clements. Clements wants to go so let him. I think Fletcher will stay for a more reasonable number.

Let's not fool ourselves. This team is playing out of their ass right now. That's coaching!! We still need a RG and LG and DT's!! LB's and DE's and a #2 receiver.

HHURRICANE
12-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Upgrade the #2 receiver spot with a FA like Drew Bennett.

Yep!!!!

ICE74129
12-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Resign clements IF he accepts a top 10 contract.

Extend JP and Lee Evans.

Sign Two guards.

Sign a BIG DT to stop the run.

Replace TKO at OLB.

Get a true, BIG #2 WR that has to be respected as a threat, even as a possession WR.

Draft

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Spikes is playing much better the last couple of weeks.

Nate would be foolish to accept a top 10 deal; he will get top 5 money (at least!) somewhere else. The Bills need to bite the bullet on him.

Romes
12-18-2006, 09:32 AM
run defense played really well after the first drive. With McCargo coming back and the developement of Kyle Williams we may not need a DT.

Novacane
12-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Clements has changed my mind with his play this year. I'd of let him leave 2 months ago but now I think he should be priority #1.

Don't extend Mcghaee. He's good but not great like he thinks. He's replaceable.

I'd try and resign LF but not for huge dollars.

Get Lee Evans extended. With JP comming into his own Evans could have a huge year next season and then get really expensive.

Try and improve at guard in FA. Improve the DL in the draft

Saratoga Slim
12-18-2006, 10:01 AM
I really believe that Fletcher means more to this team than Clements. Clements wants to go so let him. I think Fletcher will stay for a more reasonable number.

Let's not fool ourselves. This team is playing out of their ass right now. That's coaching!! We still need a RG and LG and DT's!! LB's and DE's and a #2 receiver.

I agree that while Fletcher may be getting older, he's worth keeping here. And he's not going to be as expensive as Clements.

As for Clements, I really hate to lose him, especially the way he's playing. I just sincerely wonder if spending a third of our available cap room on him is a great idea. That's probably what it will take to keep him here.

I'd definately keep both if possible, but I see Clements going elsewhere.

Assuming Fletcher stays, Clements leaves, McGahee doesn't hold out and we resign Gandy, I'd say we need the following from FA and the draft:

MUST FILL, MAJOR PRIORITIES:
1. A quality RG to replace Villarial.
2. A run-stopping DT to platoon with Kyle Williams and replace Tim Anderson.
3 A day one CB to replace Nate.
4. Another dangerous weapon on offense, whether it be a pass-catching TE or a #2 receiver. Someone to take attention off Lee.

SECOND-TIER PRIORITIES
1. A second RB to platoon with McGahee (and in anticipation of him possibly leaving next year or holding out this year). Either resign Thomas or draft one on day one. Seems to be a growing trend in the league to have two solid backs. and with the likelihood of injury at some point in the season to your top guy, it's a necessary one. Look at how Seattle struggled w/out Alexander, Miami w/out Ronnie Brown etc.
2. Evaluate Pennington and make a snap decision as to whether he' s going to be an above average RT. While it's hard to do that and he deserves more developmental time, if we can't say confidently that he's making great progress towards fulfilling the potential his size offers, draft or sign one that we can be sure about.
3. Think seriously about Lance Briggs or Cato June in FA if Spikes can't show that he's getting his burst back. I have a feeling that one more offseason to heal is going to bring Spikes back close to his old form. And if that's true, you can't replace the energy and leadership he brings to the field and lockerroom. But it's worth thinking about these guys, who may be available and would absolutely fit our defensive scheme.

justasportsfan
12-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm not against resigning Fletch and Clements. I'd let Willis play the rest of his contract though and see what he can do before thinking about what to do with him. Even if he has a monstrous season next year, rb's are a dime a dozen.

Bring back Kelsay. Andre Davis is gone.

ICE74129
12-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Spikes is playing much better the last couple of weeks.

Nate would be foolish to accept a top 10 deal; he will get top 5 money (at least!) somewhere else. The Bills need to bite the bullet on him.

then let him get top 5 money somewhere else. Who has a CB that is being paid top 5 money and makeing it to superbowls? Spend the money on the DL and OL and LB along with a better #2 WR and we are a playoff team next year without nate.

One single CB is NOT worth the cap room he will eat up.

ICE74129
12-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Clements has changed my mind with his play this year. I'd of let him leave 2 months ago but now I think he should be priority #1.

Don't extend Mcghaee. He's good but not great like he thinks. He's replaceable.

I'd try and resign LF but not for huge dollars.

Get Lee Evans extended. With JP comming into his own Evans could have a huge year next season and then get really expensive.

Try and improve at guard in FA. Improve the DL in the draft

Yeah DL in the draft really worked this year huh? how about we go out and spend some money on a good DT?

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2006, 10:09 AM
How about you are patient with Williams and McCargo like you were with JP?

RockStar36
12-18-2006, 10:11 AM
How about you are patient with Williams and McCargo like you were with JP?

I think JP was the exception for most people. McCargo didn't even get a full season and people want him replaced.

Novacane
12-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Yeah DL in the draft really worked this year huh? how about we go out and spend some money on a good DT?

Who's available?

Pride
12-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Sign Clements to top 5 money, but not making him the highest paid CB
Extend Losman
Let McGahee go and plan on starting Thomas
Re-sign Fletcher
Cut TKO unless he agrees to paycut
Extend Reed if needbe
Sign stud Guard in FA, let Preston and Gandy fight for other guard in offseason
Draft Stud DT in round 1
Draft Big WR (meaning tall) in round 2
Draft McGahee's replacement in round 3
Draft a MLB to replace him in coming years
Draft for Depth at LB, CB, and OL

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Thomas is not a full time NFL starter and is a FA himself. If the Bill let Willis go RB becomes their #1 hole.

Why create a need when it is not necessary?

And getting of TKO is not a good move either. He is playing much better lately. Look at Julian Peterson. It took him a full season to fully recover.

GarnOFreak
12-18-2006, 01:14 PM
The Cover 2 doesn't use a lot of Man coverage, more zone, so having a top cover corner isn't essential. If we have to limp by with K.Thomas or Youboty starting opposite McGee, we'll have to, but it shouldn't be end of the world. We're not playing Man coverage most of the time anymore. I'd like to see Nate return, but with last seasons rates for FA, I seriously doubt it will happen.

I would Like Fletcher to sign a 3 year deal maybe about $15 million. That's about the best case scenario. This IS his career year and he has been awesome.

I like Crowell and I like Ellison, TKO has been slow to come back from the same injury that reduced Sam Cowart to average. I hope he comes back, but I feel OKAY with those two as starters at this point.

McCargo is a big question mark since he hasn't had any significant playing time. Keep in mind that some draft nuts were saying he could be as good or better than Mario Williams down the road(same line in college). I'd like to hope that's why we took him in the first and sacrificed getting two decent OL picks in the 2nd and 3rd round this year. Tim Anderson was a 3rd round pick and is a decent backup but should not be starting. He's got the heart for it, but not the physical tools. Maybe we go after Quinn Pitcock(DT) in the first round? Whoever we get, will be rotating in and out with our defense, so don't expect to sign/trade for a mega-star big name.

Offensive Line is another story, being that we don't rotate our OL guys, an expensive upgrade with a FA would bring many happy returns(or pancakes for that matter). Our line play HAS been better, but if we really want to be successful we need to continue to make it better. I'd love to see us snag a 2nd rounder for the OL in the draft but will be happy if we can grab a FA who is a legit starter on another successful line.(i.e. Steinbach).

RB is fine the way it is. IF it becomes a problem with a holdout, THEN we can address it. RBs are a lot easier to find than other positions. And the guys we have this year are doing okay with better blocking from the OL. Increasing the OL talent will make our RBs look even better. I agree about splitting carries more between the RB1 and RB2 spots to keep them frsh and reduce injuries.

WR. <sigh> It's kinda hard to be happy with a group of guys when they don't get a chance to play that much. Yes, Lee Evans is having a good season. No, no one else has caught more than 38 balls, 340yards, or 3TDs. Keep in mind though that we aren't throwing much. Since the Bye week (102, 83, 340, 169, 184, 157, 200yards in the air). The WRs we have: Evans, Price, Reed and Parrish are decent as a whole. Each of them has big play capability and speed. Each one has made an outstanding, game deciding cathc this year. If our OL blocks better fro a whole season their number will improve.

Okay, I feel like LBF now....lol.

sum up:
1)increase talent on OL
2)Keep Flecther and Clements if at all able to
3)get some young talent to develop for DT but nothing too pricey
4)Keep our RBs and WRs as is and let them develop in this Offense more

ublinkwescore
12-18-2006, 01:20 PM
then let him get top 5 money somewhere else. Who has a CB that is being paid top 5 money and makeing it to superbowls? Spend the money on the DL and OL and LB along with a better #2 WR and we are a playoff team next year without nate.

One single CB is NOT worth the cap room he will eat up.

I'd take the cheaper one out of Clements and Samuel from NE.

HHURRICANE
12-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Okay, I feel like LBF now....lol.

sum up:
1)increase talent on OL
2)Keep Flecther and Clements if at all able to
3)get some young talent to develop for DT but nothing too pricey
4)Keep our RBs and WRs as is and let them develop in this Offense more

You may feel like him but he's the best poster here so it ends there.

1) OL needs to be upgraded for sure. Some of our starters are really backups.

2) Clements is going to be in a bidding war so he's not coming back to Buffalo. I think we will miss him but that's life. Fletcher we should keep because it sends the right message to the younger players.

3) DT and DE's are weak. I'm sorry but Denney and Kelsay can be upgraded for sure. Schobel would be a real monster with help on the other side. Move Hargrove and jam the middle with new players. Anderson sucks.

4) A #2 receiver is an absolute must. This offense needs it badly. Andre Reed always had somebody like Beebe or Lofton, etc. This will help everyone!!

5) I am not a fan of McGahee. However, he's still better than half of the other backs in the league. If there is any potential for a holdout than we had better draft a RB. We are not going to find a good RB in FA. They are always underperformers or washed up veterans. One more thing. We will not be making the playoffs without a decent RB so be careful what you wish for!!

Saratoga Slim
12-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Thomas is not a full time NFL starter and is a FA himself. If the Bill let Willis go RB becomes their #1 hole.

Why create a need when it is not necessary?

And getting of TKO is not a good move either. He is playing much better lately. Look at Julian Peterson. It took him a full season to fully recover.

I agree about Thomas. Love him as a backup, don't think he's a full time starter.

I also agree about keeping TKO another year. I have a feeling another offseason will do wonders for him. He's too big of a leadership presence to let go unless we're sure he's not going to return to form.

I am on the fence about Clements. I hate to see him go, as he's young and playing very well right now. but I agree with Ice that he probably shouldn't be paid Champ Bailey money. He's good, but spending 1/3 of our cap space on one CB, when our defensive scheme does not require true shutdown ability, seems unwise. That said, whatever OBD decides regarding Clements is fine with me.

mysticsoto
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Something to keep in mind about resigning Nate Clements:

According to figures provided by the NFL Players Association, unrestricted and restricted free agent cornerbacks in 2004 hauled in $58.475 million in signing bonuses — more than the upfront total for any position. And it happened in a hurry in 2005 also. Starting with the sign-and-trade case of Denver Broncos star Champ Bailey (http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/index.php?sport=pftball&type=profile&name=2950), who opened the market with a seven-year, $63 million contract and $18 million in bonuses, four cornerbacks scored bonuses of at least $10 million.

Here are the FA CBs:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="765"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="630">
2007 NFL Free Agents
Cornerbacks

</td><td width="117">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="630">
</td> <td> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="601"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#bcbcbc" valign="middle"> <td bgcolor="#bcbcbc" height="20" width="221">Player</td> <td bgcolor="#bcbcbc" height="20" width="198">Type</td> <td bgcolor="#bcbcbc" height="20" width="182">2006Team</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Adams, Blue</td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Buccaneers</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Bauman, Rashad</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Bengals</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Brooks, Greg</td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Bengals</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Buchanon, Phillip</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Buccaneers</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Carroll, Ahmad </td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Jaguars</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Cash, Chris</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Falcons</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Clements, Nate</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Bills</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Cox, Torrie</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Buccaneers</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Deloatch, Curtis</td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Saints</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Fisher, Travis</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Rams</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Fletcher, Jamar </td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Lions</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Gay, Randall</td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Patriots</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Greer, Jabari</td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Bills</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Groce, DeJuan</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Saints</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Hood, Roderick</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Eagles</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Hunter, Will</td> <td width="198">ERFA</td> <td width="182">Vikings</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Jackson, Eddie </td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Dolphins</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">James, Tory</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Bengals</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">James, William</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Eagles</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Jimoh, Ade</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Redskins</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Jones, Nathan</td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Cowboys</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Lehan, Michael </td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Dolphins</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Macklin, David</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Cardinals</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Manning, Jr., Ricky</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Bears</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">McCleon, Dexter </td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Texans</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">McKenzie, Chris</td> <td width="198">ERFA</td> <td width="182">Texans</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Oglesby, Evan</td> <td width="198">ERFA</td> <td width="182">Ravens</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Poteat, Hank</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Jets</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Prude, Ronnie</td> <td width="198">ERFA</td> <td width="182">Ravens</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Reeves, Jacques</td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Cowboys</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Samuel, Asante</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Patriots</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Sanders, Lewis</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Texans</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Sapp, Benny</td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Chiefs</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Smith, Keith </td> <td width="198">RFA</td> <td width="182">Lions</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Starks, Duane</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Raiders</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Tate, Robert</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Cardinals</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Thomas, Kiwaukee</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Bills</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Walker, Frank</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Giants</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Walls, Lenny</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Chiefs</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Webb, Dee</td> <td width="198">ERFA</td> <td width="182">Jaguars</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Williams, Gemara</td> <td width="198">ERFA</td> <td width="182">Patriots</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td width="221">Williams, Jimmy</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Seahawks</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f0f0f0"> <td width="221">Wright, Kenny</td> <td width="198">UFA</td> <td width="182">Redskins</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!--END ADVPRINT -->
Nate and Asante Samuel are probably one of the highest rated of this group, so yes, Nate will likely be in a bidding war for top 5 CB money. He is likely to want around $15 mil bonus atleast and maybe 5-6 yr contract in the $60 mil range...

Voltron
12-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I know London is getting a bit long in the tooth but he is the heart and soul of this Defense since he has gotten here. I would love to see him retire a Bill!

X-Era
12-18-2006, 05:39 PM

or...

WWMLD ??

This is easy, BOTH! Its not an either or. Willis can take a hike. Nate should be resigned to what he is, a top 5 CB. London is our leader on D, a fan favorite, and our perennial tackle leader and should be resigned. Even after that, we will have a TON of cap cash and can STILL sign a few of the bigger name vets.

We will always be drafting, so its not like draftings on the chopping block, we continue to add/build through the draft. However, we will need to carry out a successfull evaluation of what we still need. A few spots are no longer needs, QB is one, #1 WR, LT, RDE, one OLB, ILB if Fletch stays, CB, if Nate stays, SS, FS, P, K

That means we still can hunt at both G's, RB, RT, TE, WR, one DT, LDE. These are the main ones, but backups always are nice too.

I think what critical is a shift in thinking. We are not rebuilding, as I previously thought, IMO. We have the foundation. Now its time to add a few right pieces.

Im not sold on Willis. I think RB ought to be our #1 focus in the draft, but you cant lock into one position in round 1. Id say another bigtime pass rusher, WR playmaker, RB all would be worthy 1st dayers. Now, DT, G's, RT one day one? It would seem prudent and may be done depending on whos where. But can these picks be BETTER spent? On playmakers who can change games? If we think Willis isnt the answer, we need to find the new guy now. Good news is, that player can start day one and make an impact. If a guy like Lynch, Peterson falls, take him. If not, guys like Bush in round 2, and a few other beyond would work.

So yeah, id like to resign our key guys, sign a few key guys, and then draft the best possible playmakers first.

Thats my take.

Now, no I dont want to invest all our cash in those 3 guys, but that isnt going to eat up all our cash anyways so its a moot point.

Now, I ESPECIALLY dont want to try to get bargain basement guys and rely on the draft, that a win later or sign some retread and pray approach that has a great chance at failure.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 05:42 PM
39 million is a ton of money.

Re-sign Nate first and front load the deal.
Try to get Fletcher, but if they can't move Crowell or Spikes inside and start Ellison.

Extend Willis.

If there is still room try and sign Eric Steinbach to start at RG.

Clements can be had if were not cheapos, if we go frugal we lose him and lose the total talent level by subtraction, were supposed to be headed up not down. Now, if you say let him walk and spend even MORE money elsewhere, Id say OK, but Id bet that the guys wanting to be cheap wont like paying big money for anyone.

Voltron
12-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Now it all comes down to if Ralph will spend the money or not :sigh:

chernobylwraiths
12-19-2006, 07:39 AM
IF we can resign Nate, they should just take the cap hit on his whole SB this year. Pay Fletcher a reasonablely good contract but don't break the bank on him at his age. I really don't care if we resign Willis or not. He has shown toughness, but I still don't think he wants to be here and I think he will be looking for a boatload of money and he doesn't deserve that.

THATHURMANATOR
12-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Guys I constantly see threads talking about resigning Willis. Isn't he under contract next season already? Can someone clarify this?

Dr. Lecter
12-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Yes he is.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=34527 (http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=34527)

kernowboy
12-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Ok in no particular order - the players in bold I have suggested are my preferred options in FA, underlined are draft picks but there will be others available. It is down to personal preference

QB: extend Losman and get a better backup with a decent arm and starting ability - Patrick Ramsay
WR: extend Evans, get a FA big receiver like Ernest Wilford but no need to overpay
RB: trade mcGahee for a No2 in 2008. Sign TJ Duckett to platoon with A-Train, he's only 25 but 254lbs and might eventually be a FB
FB: Cut Shelton and use Cieslak here
TE: Royal has come good, Neufeld will come back, dump Everett and draft Matt Herian in R4
OT: Peters is great, Pennington and Butler who WILL bulk up in the offseason can compete for the RT. No FA has their upside so lets not waste money. Draft a LT in R3 like Doug Free - if Peters goes down its a major problem
OG/C: I'll admit I was wrong, the key resigning is Gandy. Let Merz have a look at RG but pick up David Diehl (6ft5, 319lbs) to fill this role. Steinbach will be too expensive and I am not convinced by his run blocking. Fowler to continue at centre, groom Preston as 6th man to replace him

DE: Let Kelsay go and use cap space to sign Patrick Kerney. If Schobel isn't scary enough from one side, this becomes the mother of all nightmares. Denney and Hargrove to rotate in
DT: Draft Amobi Okoye with R2. Amazing size and dynamism for the NT role (6ft1, 317lbs) - play with Tripplett, rotate in McCargo and a bulked up Kyle Williams

LB: Let London and TKO leave. Replace with Matt Wilhelm in the middle who's having a great season, is bigger and 6 years younger. Lets get revenge for the theft of Pat Williams and Winfield. Draft either Paul Posluzny or Patrick Willis in the 1st round. Its about time we spent a proper pick on the LB corps

DB: Let Nate leave. Promote Ashton Youboty. The better DL line will help reduce the incidences of him being picked on. Sign Mike Rumph. He has all the physcial attributes to succeed but has been let down by concentration and mental lapses. The professional no-nonsense environment of the Bills is just the location to turn his career around and the DB background of Jauron and Fennell will help this

K/P: Sign both of these boys pronto

Whilst I imagine a lot will disagree I think the following free agent and draft signings will benefit the team over the long term. Some of the moves have been forced. I'd love to see London and Nate stay but think they will demand silly money which we shouldn't pay. Others will disagree on the players but I hope you can see my reasoning

So free agents

Pat Ramsay replacing Holcomb
Ernest Wilford for Andre Davis
TJ Duckett and a No2 in the RB deep 2008 draft for McGahee
David Diehl replacing Chris Villarial
Matt Wilhelm coming in for London
Mike Rumph supporting Youboty to replace Clements

And in the draft

R1. Posluzny or Willis to succeed TKO
R2. Okoye to replace Anderson
R3. Doug Free to take Reyes line spot and back up Peters
R4. Matt Herian to replace Kevin 'The invisible man' Everett
R6. Best available player maybe Dawson or Wolfe to replace Shaud Williams
R6. Best available player

kernowboy
12-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Guys I constantly see threads talking about resigning Willis. Isn't he under contract next season already? Can someone clarify this?

But then he becomes a free agent. We need to decide if we can resign him or have to tag him or try to get something for him. I'd trade him now for a R2 pick in 2008. We can use the extra pick to manoevre in the draft for someone like Darren McFadden. A-Train and maybe signing someone like TJ Duckett can carry the load next season. I doubt they'll only make 26 yds in some games!!!

THATHURMANATOR
12-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Fine but stop talking like he is a Free agent.

TigerJ
12-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Re-sign either Fletcher or Nate, both have reasonable expectations in which case you re-sign both. Give Willis a reasonable offer and tell him "Take it or leave it."

kernowboy
12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
EJ Henderson has just signed a 5year $25m deal so if we do need a LB we will have to look elsewhere

Night Train
12-19-2006, 09:06 AM
With owners like Snyder around, our chances of re-signing Nate are slim. He'll just overpay and the contract numbers will probably be silly. Hope I'm wrong. Youboty is probably being groomed to start.

I wouldn't break the bank for 32 year old Fletch. A good offer but we need size in the middle at DT AND LB to improve our run D. It happens to stink, at present.

Spikes will be a team decision. He's made some tackles on plays coming at him but still looks painfully slow from the stands. He can not get to the sweeps wide of him and cannot plant when the RB's cut back inside. Missing too many tackles in his area.He is being closely monitored by the Bills. I understand we're supposedly way under the cap but this is a matter of performance, more so than $$.

I really think our biggest need is at the one DT position, where both Williams and Anderson get pushed out. Crowell and Ellison are starters and a big MLB might be needed. Both OG positions on Offense need to be looked at. A #2 WR to replace Price is needed. Don't be surprised if we see another vet RB signed. McGahee may only have 1 more year or Rosenhaus could hold him out. Cover yourself.