• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Time to play GM

Re-sign Willis McGahee, Nate Clements, and London Fletcher, use up a lot of cap money on these guys, and look for bargains in free agency...

or...

Let them and their big-dollar contracts go, replace them with younger guys in the line-up, and keep most of your cap maoney available for bringing in free agents?

WWMLD ??
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Time to play GM

39 million is a ton of money.

Re-sign Nate first and front load the deal.
    Try to get Fletcher, but if they can't move Crowell or Spikes inside and start Ellison.

Extend Willis.

If there is still room try and sign Eric Steinbach to start at RG.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Patrick76777
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
      Re-sign Willis McGahee, Nate Clements, and London Fletcher, use up a lot of cap money on these guys, and look for bargains in free agency...

or...

Let them and their big-dollar contracts go, replace them with younger guys in the line-up, and keep most of your cap maoney available for bringing in free agents?

WWMLD ??

Keep those guys. Under TD we always let at least one big time player go a year. Then we'd spend the next 2 trying to replace them.

We have 35 mil under the cap and from what I hear the FA pool is not deep. So spend the cash on our guys.
      Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Kerr
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Upgrade the #2 receiver spot with a FA like Drew Bennett.

Comment

• Romes
          • Jul 2002

WWMLD ??
          do they sell those wristbands?

But seriously, pay nate clements because he is a playmaker. Pay fletcher because he is the heart and soul of the D.

I'd like to keep McGahee but he is 3rd to those 2 guys. If Willis leaves draft a RB. Draft a big receiver and some OL and I think we are good to go.
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
            • Mar 2005

or...

WWMLD ??
            I really believe that Fletcher means more to this team than Clements. Clements wants to go so let him. I think Fletcher will stay for a more reasonable number.

Let's not fool ourselves. This team is playing out of their ass right now. That's coaching!! We still need a RG and LG and DT's!! LB's and DE's and a #2 receiver.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kerr
              Upgrade the #2 receiver spot with a FA like Drew Bennett.
              Yep!!!!

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Resign clements IF he accepts a top 10 contract.

Extend JP and Lee Evans.

Sign Two guards.

Sign a BIG DT to stop the run.

Replace TKO at OLB.

Get a true, BIG #2 WR that has to be respected as a threat, even as a possession WR.

Draft

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Spikes is playing much better the last couple of weeks.

Nate would be foolish to accept a top 10 deal; he will get top 5 money (at least!) somewhere else. The Bills need to bite the bullet on him.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Romes
                    • Jul 2002

run defense played really well after the first drive. With McCargo coming back and the developement of Kyle Williams we may not need a DT.
                    Originally posted by paladin warrior
                    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

Clements has changed my mind with his play this year. I'd of let him leave 2 months ago but now I think he should be priority #1.

Don't extend Mcghaee. He's good but not great like he thinks. He's replaceable.

I'd try and resign LF but not for huge dollars.

Get Lee Evans extended. With JP comming into his own Evans could have a huge year next season and then get really expensive.

Try and improve at guard in FA. Improve the DL in the draft

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        I really believe that Fletcher means more to this team than Clements. Clements wants to go so let him. I think Fletcher will stay for a more reasonable number.

Let's not fool ourselves. This team is playing out of their ass right now. That's coaching!! We still need a RG and LG and DT's!! LB's and DE's and a #2 receiver.
                        I agree that while Fletcher may be getting older, he's worth keeping here. And he's not going to be as expensive as Clements.

As for Clements, I really hate to lose him, especially the way he's playing. I just sincerely wonder if spending a third of our available cap room on him is a great idea. That's probably what it will take to keep him here.

I'd definately keep both if possible, but I see Clements going elsewhere.

Assuming Fletcher stays, Clements leaves, McGahee doesn't hold out and we resign Gandy, I'd say we need the following from FA and the draft:

MUST FILL, MAJOR PRIORITIES:
                        1. A quality RG to replace Villarial.
                        2. A run-stopping DT to platoon with Kyle Williams and replace Tim Anderson.
                        3 A day one CB to replace Nate.
                        4. Another dangerous weapon on offense, whether it be a pass-catching TE or a #2 receiver. Someone to take attention off Lee.

SECOND-TIER PRIORITIES
                        1. A second RB to platoon with McGahee (and in anticipation of him possibly leaving next year or holding out this year). Either resign Thomas or draft one on day one. Seems to be a growing trend in the league to have two solid backs. and with the likelihood of injury at some point in the season to your top guy, it's a necessary one. Look at how Seattle struggled w/out Alexander, Miami w/out Ronnie Brown etc.
                        2. Evaluate Pennington and make a snap decision as to whether he' s going to be an above average RT. While it's hard to do that and he deserves more developmental time, if we can't say confidently that he's making great progress towards fulfilling the potential his size offers, draft or sign one that we can be sure about.
                        3. Think seriously about Lance Briggs or Cato June in FA if Spikes can't show that he's getting his burst back. I have a feeling that one more offseason to heal is going to bring Spikes back close to his old form. And if that's true, you can't replace the energy and leadership he brings to the field and lockerroom. But it's worth thinking about these guys, who may be available and would absolutely fit our defensive scheme.
                        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

I'm not against resigning Fletch and Clements. I'd let Willis play the rest of his contract though and see what he can do before thinking about what to do with him. Even if he has a monstrous season next year, rb's are a dime a dozen.

Bring back Kelsay. Andre Davis is gone.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            Spikes is playing much better the last couple of weeks.

Nate would be foolish to accept a top 10 deal; he will get top 5 money (at least!) somewhere else. The Bills need to bite the bullet on him.
                            then let him get top 5 money somewhere else. Who has a CB that is being paid top 5 money and makeing it to superbowls? Spend the money on the DL and OL and LB along with a better #2 WR and we are a playoff team next year without nate.

One single CB is NOT worth the cap room he will eat up.

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Novacane
                              Clements has changed my mind with his play this year. I'd of let him leave 2 months ago but now I think he should be priority #1.

Don't extend Mcghaee. He's good but not great like he thinks. He's replaceable.

I'd try and resign LF but not for huge dollars.

Get Lee Evans extended. With JP comming into his own Evans could have a huge year next season and then get really expensive.

Try and improve at guard in FA. Improve the DL in the draft
                              Yeah DL in the draft really worked this year huh? how about we go out and spend some money on a good DT?

Comment

Working...
                              X