PDA

View Full Version : Why should we feel different now than the end of 2002, 2004?

ghz in pittsburgh
12-18-2006, 09:13 AM
When 2002 ended, most of us had high hopes because we finally had a big time QB and a high-octane offense. Donahoe delivered with a slew of seasoned vets, Spikes, Adams, Posey, Lawyer. But the hope was squashed rather quickly in 2003 and Gregg Williams exited Buffalo.

When 2004 ended, we again had playoff in our hopes for 2005 when the team finisheded in a 6 and 1. They made a big change at QB and 2005 became a disaster and Mularkey exited the door.

2006 most likely will end in another positive note. My question is should we have high hopes again for 2007 after having bad experiences for those years.

HHURRICANE
12-18-2006, 09:19 AM
When 2002 ended, most of us had high hopes because we finally had a big time QB and a high-octane offense. Donahoe delivered with a slew of seasoned vets, Spikes, Adams, Posey, Lawyer. But the hope was squashed rather quickly in 2003 and Gregg Williams exited Buffalo.

When 2004 ended, we again had playoff in our hopes for 2005 when the team finisheded in a 6 and 1. They made a big change at QB and 2005 became a disaster and Mularkey exited the door.

2006 most likely will end in another positive note. My question is should we have high hopes again for 2007 after having bad experiences for those years.

Easy:

1) Gilbride.

2) MM and and an inexperienced JP

3) This time we have the same coaching staff and no major changes to the core. In addition we should be able to add some talent, which we need. I think this will have a completely different outcome. Jauron can coach.

Pride
12-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Because in those years... we only beat the teams we were supposed to beat, and got blown out by teams that were clearly better than us.

This year... we are competitive in almost every game (minus chicago and detroit).

We have developed good youth rather than filled holes with aging vets on the downside of their careers. This gives our team an upside with experience being something that will increase, as opposed to vets physical abilities decreasing.

We seem to (jury is still out) have a level headed coach who is able to get the most out of his players. And on top of that, has instilled confidence and humility at the same time.

That is why I hope for good things next year.

OpIv37
12-18-2006, 09:24 AM
The big thing this year is that our team is very young- the young guys are only going to get better. And there are some other young guys- like McCargo and Youboty- who have a lot of potential but didn't really have the opportunity to contribute for various reasons outside their control (I have to say that I was NOT impressed with McCargo when he was playing, but I don't think we should give up on him yet).

And for the record, I had very little confidence after the 2004 season (and got trashed on this board for saying so). This time, I feel different- I feel like there is a lot to build on coming out of this season and we should be much more competitive next year.

Novacane
12-18-2006, 09:29 AM
The big thing this year is that our team is very young- the young guys are only going to get better.r.

If I may quote Mikey......EXACTLY!

justasportsfan
12-18-2006, 09:34 AM
This time, I feel different- I feel like there is a lot to build on coming out of this season and we should be much more competitive next year.

:handball:

LtBillsFan66
12-18-2006, 10:05 AM
We have better coaches now.

RockStar36
12-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Bledsoe played good that year against teams he should have. When it mattered against a team's 2nd and 3rd stringers he really blew it.

I'm having a hard time believing that JP will do the same thing. And I can only imagine that he will get better going into next year.

This team also has a good young core of players. The defense will only get better with Simpson and Whitner having a full season under their belts. Players like Youboty have potential and can help out alot.

Plus it's been one full year under this coaching staff. We won't have to worry about everyone learning it next year.

don137
12-18-2006, 10:12 AM
JP is improving...Bledsoe was not going to get any better...A lot more youth now, while the OL still needs to gel more they are the best its been in years, more confidence in the GM.

The_Philster
12-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Youth is the key...we have young players and, in a lot of cases, rookies, in key roles. We didn't have nearly as much as that in 2002 or 204

Mr. Miyagi
12-18-2006, 11:02 AM
The big thing this year is that our team is very young- the young guys are only going to get better. And there are some other young guys- like McCargo and Youboty- who have a lot of potential but didn't really have the opportunity to contribute for various reasons outside their control (I have to say that I was NOT impressed with McCargo when he was playing, but I don't think we should give up on him yet).

And for the record, I had very little confidence after the 2004 season (and got trashed on this board for saying so). This time, I feel different- I feel like there is a lot to build on coming out of this season and we should be much more competitive next year.
Holy crap - Op is now an optimist! Who would've thunk!

Welcome back OPIV!!!!!!!! :bf1:

Scumbag College
12-18-2006, 11:12 AM
The 2004 run was different for several reasons to this current run.

1. Old players in 2004 vs. young players in 2006
2. Stupid Coach and GM in 2004 vs. Ivy League Coach and GM
3. In 2004, except for the Seattle the Bills beat some absolutely, positively lousy teams during that late year run. This year, we've beaten decent-good teams.

Mitchy moo
12-18-2006, 11:29 AM

Ok, who signed on for OP and posted this?? Lol.:;

ghz in pittsburgh
12-18-2006, 11:58 AM
The 2004 run was different for several reasons to this current run.

1. Old players in 2004 vs. young players in 2006
2. Stupid Coach and GM in 2004 vs. Ivy League Coach and GM
3. In 2004, except for the Seattle the Bills beat some absolutely, positively lousy teams during that late year run. This year, we've beaten decent-good teams.

1. is obvious.
2. not sure. At the time we all thought Mularkey was an up and comer and Donehoe wowed how many of us?!
3. That's actually a good point that I didn't think about. I don't know exactly the record of the 6 teams we beat in 2004 before losing to the backups of the Steelers. In the current stretch after the bye, the Bills beat a few decent teams, in particular, they beat teams on a hot streak.

OpIv37
12-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Holy crap - Op is now an optimist! Who would've thunk!

Welcome back OPIV!!!!!!!! :bf1:

I call it as I see it- over the last two years or so, there was a lot of reasons for concerns and pessimisms.

Right now, I still have some concerns about Jauron and this team has some issues to resolve- LB and Clements, for example. But overall, we have a very young team that's improving every week (which is what I was hoping for at the beginning of the season), we're .500 and although we lost some close games, we've hung with some very good teams. Things aren't perfect, but for the first time in several years it seems like there's more good than bad.

ScottLawrence
12-18-2006, 12:12 PM
I was actually thinking about this yesterday.

And if the 2003 team had any type of solid quarterback play we would've been a playoff team.

In 2005 we finally got rid of Drew Bledsoe, but turned to a Green, inexperienced quarterback who was NOT ready to play and forced him into action resulting in a terrible season.

I think JP should only continue to get better next year(Hopefully) as he gains more experience, more confidence and better players offensively in the offseason.

We have plenty of money to spend, and improvements on offense and defense should be made in free agency and the draft.

The main difference between the 2003 season, and 2005 season as opposed to now is it seems as if we are steady at the quarterback position while Drew Bledsoe teased us all in his short lived career in Buffalo and IMO was the main reason why this team didn't make the playoffs in 2003, as well as 2004.

Night Train
12-18-2006, 12:23 PM
When 2002 ended, most of us had high hopes because we finally had a big time QB

That's a matter of opinion. I never wanted Bledsoe here after watching him perform poorly in New England before the trade. This wasn't a kid with an upside. This was a vet who had already hit his peak and was benched for a 2nd day pick from Michigan. The Pats fans warned many here but most fans wouldn't listen. Bledsoe played small ball in many important games.

TD's teams were about inexperienced 1st time coaches and he meddled with the onfield product and made niche picks on draft day. We had talent but pieces that never molded together as a team. Inexperienced coaching had much to do with that. TD's fault.

I feel FAR better this time around. Marv and Jauron are on the same page and this looks more like a team effort that has more long term upside. We shall see.

GarnOFreak
12-18-2006, 12:36 PM
You know that it bugs me that people are still thinking we got clobbered by scrubs in that Pittsburgh game. Tommy Maddox threw for 109 yards, 1TD and Wille Parker ran for 102 yards. They had 5 FGs. Everyone was like their 3rd strung RB ran all over you guys. The same RB who is now a top5 RB in yardage in the LEAGUE.

Also, the games we won down the stretch that year were:
ARI,NYJ,STL,SEA,MIA,CLE,CIN, and SF.
We prolly would have beat all except SEA and CIN if we played them this year. WE had losses at the last second that season to JAX(The 4th and 21 TD), Oakland(lost 13-10) and Jets (16-14) in three of our first 4 games. (the ones Travis started not Willis). So yeah, we beat some scrubs down the stretch, but we gave up some winnable ones early as well.....

streetkings01
12-18-2006, 12:48 PM

2006 most likely will end in another positive note. My question is should we have high hopes again for 2007 after having bad experiences for those years.1 sentence.........Tom Donahoe is not running the show anymore!

madness
12-18-2006, 01:17 PM
My question is should we have high hopes again for 2007 after having bad experiences for those years.

Marv and Dick are running the table like it's amateur night, that's why.

Historian
12-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Marv.

kernowboy
12-18-2006, 02:51 PM
We have classy quality guys at the head of the team who have no interest in currying favour in the court of public opinion but are professionals with a clear plan and goal, not prone to impressive comments (we can go all the way in 2005) or impulsive arrogant gestures (2003 R1 Willis McGahee)

In the offseason after a year under their belt they will assess the roster. They will draft the right players for the team and make free agency signings that fit the team spirit and have upside. They may not not be shiny starry signings that excite fans momentarily but will help create a contender not just in one season but over many