PDA

View Full Version : Favre breaks Marino record

YardRat
12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm surprised nobody's posted this yet.

Yes, I know it wasn't broken by a Bills player, but who the hell really cares? One less line in the record book for the most over-rated quarterback in NFL history.

http://www.forbes.com/business/energy/feeds/ap/2006/12/17/ap3261756.html

Brett Favre broke Dan Marino's career completions record...Favre connected on a 21-yard pass to receiver Carlyle Holiday just before halftime for his league-record 4,968th completion.

:lolpoint: Dan

Devin
12-18-2006, 03:48 PM
another one bites the dust!

Mr. Miyagi
12-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I think it's hilarious that some nobody named Carlyle Holiday is involved in breaking Marino's record.

:lolpoint:Marino

DynaPaul
12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
And Favre is closing in fast on the all-time interception record! How come no one is mentioning THAT?

Bling
12-18-2006, 04:58 PM
And Favre is closing in fast on the all-time interception record! How come no one is mentioning THAT?

You mean he didn't achieve that in his first 4 years in the league?

Ickybaluky
12-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Favre is only 7 away from Marino's all-time TD record as well, that is the big one. If he returns another year, he is certain to get it.

Of course, he is also only 7 Ints away from Blanda's all-time interception record.

Bling
12-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Favre is only 7 away from Marino's all-time TD record as well, that is the big one. If he returns another year, he is certain to get it.

Of course, he is also only 7 Ints away from Blanda's all-time interception record.

I never really witnessed neither Marino nor Favre. As long as I've known Favre, he's choked in big games with critical INTs, and always got beat by Tampa. Of course Marino was the greatest to Dolphin fans, Favre is to Packers, Montana is to SF fans, Elway is to Denver, Unitas is to Indy and Balt fans. But who really was the best? Will Manning one day be with them? Brady? I'd like your opinion.

The_Philster
12-18-2006, 08:15 PM
I never really witnessed neither Marino nor Favre. As long as I've known Favre, he's choked in big games with critical INTs, and always got beat by Tampa. Of course Marino was the greatest to Dolphin fans, Favre is to Packers, Montana is to SF fans, Elway is to Denver, Unitas is to Indy and Balt fans. But who really was the best? Will Manning one day be with them? Brady? I'd like your opinion.
I'd say Elway...his teams did more with less topline talent, IMO.
Montana had better talent surrounding him, IMO

Bling
12-18-2006, 08:18 PM
I'd say Elway...his teams did more with less topline talent, IMO.
Montana had better talent surrounding him, IMO

This is where it gets complicated. Did Marino have anything? The Mark bros.? Some will argue that Elway rode TD. We all know Montana had a great team, but he won more than the rest of them. I don't know.

The_Philster
12-18-2006, 08:24 PM
This is where it gets complicated. Did Marino have anything? The Mark bros.? Some will argue that Elway rode TD. We all know Montana had a great team, but he won more than the rest of them. I don't know.
Marino....hard to say...great passer...definitely...how great a QB...:idunno:
He and his team won 1 AFC Title....but they were only a year removed from another AFC Title...he had some talent around him
Elway and the Broncos won 3 AFC Titles pre-Terrell

YardRat
12-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Montana. He definitely didn't have the talent around him when he won his first Super Bowl that Elway did when he finally won one.

G. Host
12-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Did he break Marino's record of ruining RBs with his terrible fakes?
I do not think anyone will beat that record; too bad NFLPA was not stronger than for they could have had him declared a safety hazzard to RBs health.

Ickybaluky
12-20-2006, 01:29 PM
I never really witnessed neither Marino nor Favre. As long as I've known Favre, he's choked in big games with critical INTs, and always got beat by Tampa.

There was a 4 year span Favre played as well as any QB in NFL History. From 1994 - 1997 he was otherworldly, which is why he was league MVP just about every year in that span. His game did decline after that, because he got a full of himself and his fundamentals went south. Holmgren stayed on him all the time to keep him disciplined, and he needed that because he has a gunslinger mentality and can be his own worst enemy.

Leaving out the guys I never saw play (pre-1970 or so) the best QB is Montana, IMO. The thing about Joe was he knew what he had to do to beat you, and did it. He was the most accurate QB I have ever seen on the run, which made him hard to stop. He could roll out and hit a guy 20 yards downfield perfectly. He coudl read a defense and get rid of the ball as quick as anyone I ever saw, and rarely made the wrong decision with where to go with the ball. His accuracy and consistency were amazing. Elway, Favre and Marino were great QB as well, but if I had to pick one it would be Montana.

Even late in his career, when injuries took some of ability, he remained effective. I remember the playoff game he played with KC against Buddy Ryan's Oilers. Ryan came after him early and often with blitzes out of his 46 defense, and Montana wasn't mobile enough to get out of the way anymore. Montana stood in the pocket and took a beating, and kept trying to beat them over-the-top, because he knew that is what he had to do to win the game. Early on they didn't hit those plays and the Oilers took the lead, but in the second half he hit some big plays and Houston had to back off. KC ended up winning the game, against a team that they probably should have beat them. Most QB would have abandoned the pocket and folded against the rush, but Montana stuck with it because he knew that was the way to win.

mybills
12-20-2006, 01:53 PM
But who really was the best?
Montana (period)

Historian
12-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Griese > Marino

mysticsoto
12-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Off the top of my head, I'd say Montana. I always felt, even when he was down, that he could mount a comeback and win the game.

Now that being said, I think Peyton Manning has the capacity to break all those records and become the best. Clearly he needs to win a few superbowls also and Indy's run D is making that hard. But overall, I think Manning is a fantastic QB that will atleast rank up there among the best!!!