PDA

View Full Version : Redskins want...

Devin
12-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Clements apparently.

Redskins sources indicate the team is likely to ask several veterans -- perhaps CB Shawn Springs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3952), QB Mark Brunell (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2485), DE Renaldo Wynn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3924) and ORT Jon Jansen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4686) -- to redo their deals in order to clear up cap space to make a run at some free-agent defenders. The apple of their eye reportedly is Bills CB Nate Clements (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5468).

Thats a bidding war we wont win.

God I hope Greg Williams gets hit by a bus and gets herpes.....from a dude.

gr8slayer
12-18-2006, 04:17 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I want to keep Nasty Nate. If he leaves we will almost surely use a high pick on a CB.

Devin
12-18-2006, 04:19 PM
We would likely have to.

CB's like any other year are going to get stupid deals. I dont see any other way honestly.

ShadowHawk7
12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I just read that on Insider as well..
Tag, then trade. Screw any promises previously made, we could definitely get an extra first rounder here at worst!

gr8slayer
12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
We would likely have to.

CB's like any other year are going to get stupid deals. I dont see any other way honestly.
I say we pay the man. He is a top tier CB in the AFC.

Mitchy moo
12-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I just read that on Insider as well..
Tag, then trade. Screw any promises previously made, we could definitely get an extra first rounder here at worst!

If we make the playoffs and he is a direct cause of it, pay the man.

Devin
12-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Its a matter of desire I think.

Marv/Ralph likely made up thier minds about Clements prior to making that verbal promise. At any rate even if they offer him a legit deal its a matter of Nate actually wanting to be here.

Honestly while I know the players union would be all over it, id say screw it and tag/trade him anyway.

Gunzlingr
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
You reneg on a deal like that, and you might as well close up shop. Who would want to come here if you can't trust what you have been told by the GM/Owner?

Devin
12-18-2006, 04:31 PM
You reneg on a deal like that, and you might as well close up shop. Who would want to come here if you can't trust what you have been told by the GM/Owner?

yeah guess thats true.

Ah well.

justasportsfan
12-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Blah. Get a dominant DT and our Dl will make our db's llok better than they are. Screw Clements.

DynaPaul
12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Pay for Nate but don't overpay I say. If Dan Snyder just HAS to have him for his underachieving fantasy team than so be it...

kernowboy
12-18-2006, 04:53 PM
If they sign Clements and keep Springs won't that make Rogers and Rumph surplus? I think if we get more help on the DL, either could be a stop gap until Youboty works into the role

X-Era
12-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Clements apparently.

Deal with Nate, give him a chance to get a deal done before FA hits, if he insists on hitting the market, TAG AND TRADE!!!! I dont care about our promise. We only promised not to tag him again if we were going to then KEEP him, he shouldnt care if we want to trade him and get something out of it.

Like I said, we should pay attention to OUR team not Nate. Give him a chance to do the right thing and sign a long term deal with us before the start of FA, force him to be a Bill and not an individual. If he opts to try to make more cash, we should opt to treat him as a number and tag and trade.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I want to keep Nasty Nate. If he leaves we will almost surely use a high pick on a CB.

You can set THAT pick in stone if Nate leaves, a D minded coach, bet your ass he will get a lock down corner in round 1. I think it would be Hall or McCauley, maybe Cason.

Bling
12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
We hear in Miami would love Nate. Our CB spot is severely lacking and could use a good #1 like Nate. Plus it'll finally get that INT machine off the Bills.

Devin
12-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Deal with Nate, give him a chance to get a deal done before FA hits, if he insists on hitting the market, TAG AND TRADE!!!! I dont care about our promise. We only promised not to tag him again if we were going to then KEEP him, he shouldnt care if we want to trade him and get something out of it.

Like I said, we should pay attention to OUR team not Nate. Give him a chance to do the right thing and sign a long term deal with us before the start of FA, force him to be a Bill and not an individual. If he opts to try to make more cash, we should opt to treat him as a number and tag and trade.

:rofl:

riiiiiiight and as Gunz said good luck ever getting another FA here. Not to mention dealing with the players union.

Nate is gone unfortunatley I just hope its to the NFC.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I would agree, but then NE has made it a habit of late with guys like Bledsoe, Branch, Law, Milloy, McGinest. And yet they still get players to come over.

Devin
12-18-2006, 05:11 PM
I would agree, but then NE has made it a habit of late with guys like Bledsoe, Branch, Law, Milloy, McGinest. And yet they still get players to come over.

NE also has 3 superbowl rings and is always a contender. They have a billionaire owner who has turned the Patriots into a cash machine.

IN Buffalo we can offer players tons of snow, an old stadium and an owner whose 120 years old and is always fighting with the NFL.

Tiburon1724
12-18-2006, 05:12 PM

well they win Super Bowls :/

The_Philster
12-18-2006, 05:12 PM
We hear in Miami would love Nate. Our CB spot is severely lacking and could use a good #1 like Nate. Plus it'll finally get that INT machine off the Bills.
I think you'd be happy just to get your #1 WR :snicker:
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4518

It can be argued that Nate Clementshttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4518#) is one of Miami's best receiving threats. His third quarter interception Sunday was the ninth of his career against the Dolphins, the most he has recorded against any opponent. His nine picks against Miami account for better than a third of his career interceptions (23).

Captain Obvious
12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
There was more than just a promised made not to tag Nate in 2007.. It was put in writing..in Nate's 2006 contract

Devin
12-18-2006, 05:18 PM
well there you have it. Debate closed.

OpIv37
12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
If the redskins sign Clements, they'll likely cut Springs. He's not as good as Clements, but he's not as expensive either. I think he's serviceable.

Devin
12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Springs could certainly be a nickel back perhaps a #2, but I have a hard time seeing him as a #1 corner.

ICE74129
12-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Blah. Get a dominant DT and our Dl will make our db's llok better than they are. Screw Clements.

THANK YOU!!!!

Now as for as not being able to outbid washington, thats pure crap. We have more cap room, it all boils down to if ralph really wants a championship IE signing bonus money.

That said, Marv needs to cut the crap and go ahead and franchise clements, to hell with his 'word to him'. Ralph gave Jim Kelly his word too and a handshake to boot didn't he? We saw how that worked out.

Crisis
12-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Who has really played better than Nate since the bye week on this team? Maybe Jason Peters if you take other things into account, but we need Nate.

Shutdown corners don't come along very often.

Miami has a great DL and they still lose alot of games because their secondary blows. Don't give me any stats like last time either, their secondary is as overrated as it comes.

Devin
12-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Im not arguing against signing him, i just dont believe it will get done.

Even if we offer him the money there will be other suiters and I think Nate is ready to roll out.

Nighthawk
12-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Clements apparently.

Listen, if we can't keep Nate, then screw the agreement we made with him and tag him! It would be the dumbest move in Bills history if Marv lets Nate walk for nothing when he could've got a high draft pick in return.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 06:34 PM
There was more than just a promised made not to tag Nate in 2007.. It was put in writing..in Nate's 2006 contract
And his contract will be up, debate open.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Listen, if we can't keep Nate, then screw the agreement we made with him and tag him! It would be the dumbest move in Bills history if Marv lets Nate walk for nothing when he could've got a high draft pick in return.

Wait a second, traded for Drew Bleedslow, RJ, and started Van-shlub?

No, I think theres been dumber moves.

Nighthawk
12-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Wait a second, traded for Drew Bleedslow, RJ, and started Van-shlub?

No, I think theres been dumber moves.

Ok, maybe you're right...but you get my point!:;

Saratoga Slim
12-18-2006, 06:43 PM

I agree in spirit. But I do think we need to honor our promise not to tag Nate. True, we could tag him and promise him a trade. But what he wants is the right to negotiate with the highest bidder, not to simply get out of town. by tagging him, even with the promise of trading, he's stuck wherever we send him, and has to wait another year to get a long-term contract.

Kerr
12-18-2006, 06:44 PM
If the redskins sign Clements, they'll likely cut Springs. He's not as good as Clements, but he's not as expensive either. I think he's serviceable.

I've always liked springs, but the main problem is that he's always been injury prone.

Kerr
12-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Clearly it would be most unfortunate if the team lost Nate. People are saying screw Clements already, but the offseason is not even here yet and he's picked up his game lately. It may just come down to nate finally buying into jauron and this team, which has had recent success lately. If nate's greed overcomes him, then he'll leave. Not that nate doesn't deserve top money, but sometimes players distinguish between having the chance to win a ring or just making the most money and not winning a championship. Now that the team has started winning and enjoyed success it may swing negotiations in the team's favor. The answer will soon become evident.

Typ0
12-18-2006, 06:54 PM
I agree in spirit. But I do think we need to honor our promise not to tag Nate. True, we could tag him and promise him a trade. But what he wants is the right to negotiate with the highest bidder, not to simply get out of town. by tagging him, even with the promise of trading, he's stuck wherever we send him, and has to wait another year to get a long-term contract.

I was just about to say that. If we are going to have NC here next season we are going to let him hit the free agent market and then outbid everyone. If he want's to be here then he'll tell us the highest offer and give us a chance to match it.

don137
12-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Isn't that some sort of tampering violation saying you want a player under contract to another team...

Typ0
12-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Clearly it would be most unfortunate if the team lost Nate. People are saying screw Clements already, but the offseason is not even here yet and he's picked up his game lately. It may just come down to nate finally buying into jauron and this team, which has had recent success lately. If nate's greed overcomes him, then he'll leave. Not that nate doesn't deserve top money, but sometimes players distinguish between having the chance to win a ring or just making the most money and not winning a championship. Now that the team has started winning and enjoyed success it may swing negotiations in the team's favor. The answer will soon become evident.

it might also come down to he's only got a few games left to get his ass in gear and pump up his value in the FA market.

DraftBoy
12-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Lets not forget the franchise tag is not our only tool here, and it is forbidden in the deal, but I am not sure if the transition tag is not allowed. Personally Id transition tag him, and trade him to WAS, if we cant resign. I dont think thats a violation of the contract or the promise we made.

Billzz
12-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Who has really played better than Nate since the bye week on this team? Maybe Jason Peters if you take other things into account, but we need Nate.

Shutdown corners don't come along very often.

Miami has a great DL and they still lose alot of games because their secondary blows. Don't give me any stats like last time either, their secondary is as overrated as it comes.

We lost Winfield and everyone said the same thing. Don't seem to remember anyone posting how much our secondary misses him.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 06:57 PM
I was just about to say that. If we are going to have NC here next season we are going to let him hit the free agent market and then outbid everyone. If he want's to be here then he'll tell us the highest offer and give us a chance to match it.

Why is it a given that he hits the market again? It may happen but its not a given. I think we have a real shot at signing him prior to FA. I think we will know more once the talk starts after the end of the year.

Meathead
12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
gib it up

nate is as gone as george bushs credibility

X-Era
12-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Lets not forget the franchise tag is not our only tool here, and it is forbidden in the deal, but I am not sure if the transition tag is not allowed. Personally Id transition tag him, and trade him to WAS, if we cant resign. I dont think thats a violation of the contract or the promise we made.

Nice call!!!! I forgot about that!

Thats VERY doable.

That ensure we get a chance to match the best offer. However, we must remember the poison pill like the deal with Hutch/Burleson.

But assuming we use it, it gives us a chance to at least match.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
gib it up

better yet Rodham a-holes credibility or even worse the "scholar" John Kerry!!!

Kerr
12-18-2006, 07:05 PM
it might also come down to he's only got a few games left to get his ass in gear and pump up his value in the FA market.

That could be a reason.

The_Philster
12-18-2006, 07:11 PM
gib it up

that would be saying we never had Nate...cause Bush... :gag: :laughter:

Bill Brasky
12-18-2006, 07:15 PM

According to Ralph and Ice nobody wants to come here anyways... might as well start screwing everybody while we're ahead!

Crisis
12-18-2006, 07:24 PM
We lost Winfield and everyone said the same thing. Don't seem to remember anyone posting how much our secondary misses him.

I was fine with letting Winfield go because we had Clements behind him.

Who do we have behind Clements? McGee, Thomas, and a bunch of unknowns?

We don't have a replacement for Clements like we did for Winfield.

YardRat
12-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Why is it a given that he hits the market again? It may happen but its not a given. I think we have a real shot at signing him prior to FA. I think we will know more once the talk starts after the end of the year.

If we sign him prior to FA, the Bills forfeit the franchise tag for the length of the contract, I believe.

Devin
12-19-2006, 01:04 AM

Are you kidding his agent has to be telling him to just play ball for a few more weeks.

This off season you are going to see some pretty average players get some pretty crazy deals.

Damn near every team has 20-30-40 million to play with, and the FA market is a joke. A top tier CB like Clements?

:rofl:

Clements and Freeney are going to get deals that are almost un-heard of previously. I will bet anyone that next season Nate Clements will be the highest paid CB in the game. Champ Bailey's deal is $63 mil I believe.

You do the math.

Demon
12-19-2006, 04:02 AM

i doubt it. They would probably sign a dude to a 3 year deal who is proven starter and allow Youboty to develop into the starter role....

jamze132
12-19-2006, 04:21 AM
After reassessing Washington's financial situation, I have a hard time believing that thay can Clements.