PDA

View Full Version : Tag and trade Nate for....

X-Era
12-18-2006, 09:57 PM
http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20061218-125725-6547r.htm

scroll down.

Clinton Portis may be on his way out.

Washington, as previosuly posted wants Nate.

Would you tag and trade Nate for Portis?

Clinton is the proven RB Willis wishes he could be. Clintos a bit more of a head case, but is a better player too.

Bling
12-18-2006, 09:58 PM
So Was is trading Champ Bailey for Nate Clements?

Mitchy moo
12-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Willis is going to show his worth in the playoffs, the real money games. :jam:

X-Era
12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
So Was is trading Champ Bailey for Nate Clements?

Agreed, it would seem silly, but it IS Washington.

If they covet Nate, and wouldnt mind dealing Portis, would we do it?

We would have to be convinced that Willis isnt the answer, Im not sure we are yet.

ParanoidAndroid
12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Creating a hole where there is none. Sign Nate! He's earned it.

X-Era
12-18-2006, 10:02 PM

I agree with you, but many here think he will walk.

deathadder
12-18-2006, 10:13 PM
We can't tag Nate. This has been discussed many times. He and the Bills came to an agreement that the Bills will not use their tag on him next year. That was signed and delivered. Face it, NATE IS AS GOOD AS GONE!

G. Host
12-18-2006, 11:04 PM
I believe the Bills said they would not franchise him in a verbal agreement but I believe they can tag him giving them right to match offers like we got Spikes.

OpIv37
12-18-2006, 11:05 PM

it doesn't matter. He wants to get paid and we'll get outbid. Clements is gone- we need to accept it.

raphael120
12-18-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't know about you guys, but Portis is just weirder version of McGahee...though he would be pretty friggin hilarious with those wigs and masks.

PECKERWOOD
12-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Nate is gone, we can't franchise him.

TacklingDummy
12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Nate is gone, we can't franchise him.

$33+ million in cap space. We don't need to franchise him. Just friggin sign him.
It's not like Buffalo is going to go out and make this huge splash in Free Agency next year.

PECKERWOOD
12-19-2006, 12:00 AM
$33+ million in cap space. We don't need to franchise him. Just friggin sign him.
It's not like Buffalo is going to go out and make this huge splash in Free Agency next year.

Thank you for proving my point. Nate is going to demand Champ Bailey type of money and with a bazillion teams 20 + million dollars in cap space, he is going to get it.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Thank you for proving my point. Nate is going to demand Champ Bailey type of money and with a bazillion teams 20 + million dollars in cap space, he is going to get it.

And with $33 million in cap room there should be no reason why the Bills can't be the ones who sign Nate.

PECKERWOOD
12-19-2006, 12:16 AM
And with $33 million in cap room there should be no reason why the Bills can't be the ones who sign Nate.

We actually have closer to 40 million in cap space, but many teams are around the 30 million cap range.

The Bills don't make big splashes in FA, you said it yourself. So what makes you think that we will resign the best CB and one of the top defenders available in FA? It makes no sense.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2006, 12:31 AM
The Bills don't make big splashes in FA, you said it yourself. So what makes you think that we will resign the best CB and one of the top defenders available in FA? It makes no sense.

Because I don't really consider Nate a free agent. He's a Buffalo Bill. And he's a Buffalo Bill thats worth keeping.

If the Bills can afford to give RJ a 5 year $25 million dollar contract for having 1 good game in Jacksonville. They should be able to afford Nate.

What good is $40 million in cap room if they don't spend it?

People want to ***** that Nate's not worth it. I for one would rather pay the 6-7 million to keep Nate then to sit here and say, we have $33 million in cap room.

PECKERWOOD
12-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Because I don't really consider Nate a free agent. He's a Buffalo Bill. And he's a Buffalo Bill thats worth keeping.

If the Bills can afford to give RJ a 5 year $25 million dollar contract for having 1 good game in Jacksonville. They should be able to afford Nate.

What good is $40 million in cap room if they don't spend it?

People want to ***** that Nate's not worth it. I for one would rather pay the 6-7 million to keep Nate then to sit here and say, we have $33 million in cap room. Actually around 40 million..

I know you have supported Nate all along, like I have btw and we should resign him, but we won't. Just because you don't consider him a UFA, doesn't make it so.. There will be 31 other teams in the NFL allowed to bid on Clements and as you said, Buffalo will not make a splash in FA, it's just not a part of our makeup.

Devin
12-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Honestly why are we arguing this?

Yes we have the cap room. But you are asking two things to happen.

1. Marv/Ralph to pony up what could be upwards of $60-70 million. $15-25 of which will be a signing bonus.

2. Even in the remote chance that kind of offer is made, you're also asking Nate to turn down what will likely be similar offers from large market teams or maybe even contenders. Nate may not even want to comeback.

And lastly Nate is not getting tagged again. Simple as that, the agreement was made and Marv is a man of his word.

Nate is gone, the better thing to do is argue how we will replace him.

ddaryl
12-19-2006, 12:53 AM
I believe the Bills said they would not franchise him in a verbal agreement but I believe they can tag him giving them right to match offers like we got Spikes.

I would have to think that this essentially the same thing, and its not going to happen.

Nate will be given his UFA, and the Bills will just have to make a worthy offer.

Ass 4 the people saying the Bills don't make a splash in FA, that's horse-****. We spend close to the cap limit every season. Just because we don't sign the high profile expensive players every single offseason doesn't mean we haven't or won't again.

Devin
12-19-2006, 12:55 AM
I would have to think that this essentially the same thing, and its not going to happen.

Nate will be given his UFA, and the Bills will just have to make a worthy offer.

Ass 4 the people saying the Bills don't make a splash in FA, that's horse-****. We spend close to the cap limit every season. Just because we don't sign the high profile expensive players every single offseason doesn't mean we haven't or won't again.

Fair enough.

We are almost 38 million under the cap. Lets see what happens this year.

PECKERWOOD
12-19-2006, 12:57 AM

That's why we are so far under the cap, because we spend so much each season? Take note of the sarcasm please..

clumping platelets
12-19-2006, 02:21 AM

NO we can't

clumping platelets
12-19-2006, 02:25 AM
Ok......let's explain something.......the number $30+ million is not entirely accurate:

1) Escalators: McGahee has an escalator of unknown amount; Losman, Evans, Whitner, etc could all have escalators.

2) RFA/EFA tenders

3) Cap adjustments

Before going shopping, know what you have to spend and what you are buying.

LtFinFan66
12-19-2006, 02:31 AM
who cares :clump:

clumping platelets
12-19-2006, 03:31 AM
who cares :clump:

Still steamed over the sweep? :pet:

kernowboy
12-19-2006, 06:35 AM
It is interesting that Nate has brought his game to Sundays just as we are reaching the point in the season when teams talk about Free Agents.

Just because we have a lot of cap space doesn't mean we over pay for someone demanding Bailey type money but has often not brought a Bailey type game.

Marv signed Youboty as Nate's replacement. Though he hasn't played much he did well in his first blooding v the Jets.

I can see us either signing a Veteran to mentor Ashton or a youngish FA who can still be turned around. Mike Rumph is only 27 and both Dick and Perry have worked with DBs. If anyone can work their magic, these two can.

With improve LB and DL play ... draft Okoye and Posluzny/Willis, see if we can snap up Patrick Kerney, while Ashton will be picked up it will be less easy for opposition QBs running for the lives to do so with any consistency plus Donte and Ko will be able to offer more experienced support ...

and we won't tag Nate because Marv and Dick are classy pro's who don't stoop to the levels of other teams. If we broke our word it would make every free agency and draft signing 10x more difficult.

TigerJ
12-19-2006, 08:06 AM
The Bills have the second most cap room in the league. If they choose to outbid other teams for Nate, they certainly are in a position to do so. I don't presume to know how they're thinking, but they are fairly deep in the secondary.

BillsNick
12-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Marv agreeing not to franchise Nate was a stupid move.

Dr. Lecter
12-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Marv agreeing not to franchise Nate was a stupid move.

It really wasn't. His salary would be almost 10 million next year to tag him a 2nd time, so they would not do it anyway.

BillsNick
12-19-2006, 08:52 AM
It really wasn't. His salary would be almost 10 million next year to tag him a 2nd time, so they would not do it anyway.

I'm just saying that by Marv giving Nate his word, while admirable, was a bad move in that now we don't even have the "option" of tagging Clements.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
I agree that Nate will is most likely gone. I just think its a stupid move.

Jeff1220
12-19-2006, 10:50 AM
That's why we are so far under the cap, because we spend so much each season? Take note of the sarcasm please..

This is the first season that I can ever remember the Bills sitting on any substantial amount of cap space. Could it be that perhaps they didn't think many of the top dollar FAs last offseason were worth spending it on? Could it be that they saw the extra cap space as coming in handy for this offseason?
Some here have short memories...it wasn't all that long ago that we were locked into cap jail. It wasn't that long ago that the Bills forked over pretty good money for TKO, Fletcher, Troy Vincent, Sam Adams, and (not an FA, but still...)Drew Bledsoe (among other less $ guys). They spend the money when they think someone is worth spending it on. If they like what they've seen from Nate, they'll make an earnest effort to re-sign him. They get some time to negotiate after the season, before the FA period begins. If Nate likes the offer and where he see the team heading, he'll take a real look at the Bills' offers.
This team is in a position this coming offseason and '08 offseason to really put this puzzle together with the fairly young foundation that is in place. I trust that Ralph and Marv realize that they aren't getting younger and the time to spend for a run is NOW.

Saratoga Slim
12-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm just saying that by Marv giving Nate his word, while admirable, was a bad move in that now we don't even have the "option" of tagging Clements.

I'm guessing Marv didn't give the promise lightly, so maybe Clements was threatening a holdout or some other annoying behavior in the event we wouldn't promise to make the tag a one-year thing

Yasgur's Farm
12-19-2006, 11:43 AM
What good is $40 million in cap room if they don't spend it?I AGREE!! EXTEND JP NOW!!!!

And Lee Evans of course... Time to go after the Manning/Harrison TD combo record.

justasportsfan
12-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Redskins .

Sportsuser101
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
I think the cover 2 is better suited for more physical corners. I love Nate but to be honest and he's had a good year I think we could get a guy much cheaper who fits our scheme better.

kernowboy
12-19-2006, 11:58 AM
The Redskins will have to savagely restructure though and I think they have more needs than launching a huge bid for Nate. Plus with No1 draft picks in Springs, Rogers and Rumph I am sure it will do wonders for roster harmony. Is CB a need in Washington?

gr8slayer
12-19-2006, 12:03 PM
I think the cover 2 is better suited for more physical corners. I love Nate but to be honest and he's had a good year I think we could get a guy much cheaper who fits our scheme better.
Are you saying Nate isn't a physical Corner? If so you are WRONG.

jimmifli
12-19-2006, 12:04 PM
The salary scale in the NFL is about to go through the roof. The cap is a percentage of revenue. That means when it goes up the owners are making more money. When they spend the cap, their profit is built in, unless they sign huge bonuses and then cut the players each year.

The fact that so many teams have so much cap space means that player salaries haven't kept up with league revenues. Today's $10Million is last years $6Million.

Seatle promised Walter Jones they wouldn't franchise him again, they did it anyways. I don't think the Bills are obligated not to franchise Nate, but it would leave a bad taste in his mouth (what does an 80 yr old ass taste like?).

PECKERWOOD
12-19-2006, 12:26 PM
This is the first season that I can ever remember the Bills sitting on any substantial amount of cap space. Could it be that perhaps they didn't think many of the top dollar FAs last offseason were worth spending it on? Could it be that they saw the extra cap space as coming in handy for this offseason?
Some here have short memories...it wasn't all that long ago that we were locked into cap jail. It wasn't that long ago that the Bills forked over pretty good money for TKO, Fletcher, Troy Vincent, Sam Adams, and (not an FA, but still...)Drew Bledsoe (among other less $ guys). They spend the money when they think someone is worth spending it on. If they like what they've seen from Nate, they'll make an earnest effort to re-sign him. They get some time to negotiate after the season, before the FA period begins. If Nate likes the offer and where he see the team heading, he'll take a real look at the Bills' offers.
This team is in a position this coming offseason and '08 offseason to really put this puzzle together with the fairly young foundation that is in place. I trust that Ralph and Marv realize that they aren't getting younger and the time to spend for a run is NOW.

We haven't made a splash in FA in years. You're talking about signings from about 5 years ago, whoopidy doo. Keep your hopes up all you want, but we aren't going to make a big splash in FA, we almost never do. We will never sign Dwight Freeney or Nate Clements this offseason. It's very unusual for Ralph to give a top 5 player at their respective positions, the paycheck that they want.

njsue
12-19-2006, 01:04 PM
The Bills cant let Nate Go. They secondary will be toast.

Jan Reimers
12-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Two words: Ashton Youboty.

njsue
12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Two more words: Step Back