PDA

View Full Version : Homerun Throwback...

Pride
12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Ok... so here we are... many years after the fabled Homerun Throwback (Music City Miracle). We've spent these years angry about the fact that the pass MAY have been a lateral.

I, for one, don't understand how we, as "Hard Core Football fans" care about a technicality like that. The fact is... regardless of where the ball was thrown from and to.. you are talking about 3 feet at the most. When we should be angry at the Bills Special Teams for allowing it to happen in the first place.

Mr B
12-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Especially after the Bills made a nice comeback.

Jimbuktu
12-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Stop man, you're killin' my playoff buzz.

No, actually you aren't. Nothing can kill this feeling I've had since Sunday.

Romes
12-19-2006, 09:36 AM
A shoeless RJ led comeback

:ontome:

BillsNick
12-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I, for one, don't understand how we, as "Hard Core Football fans" care about a technicality like that.

Oh, you mean that "technicality" where you CAN'T throw a forward pass in that situation?

Yeah. Why in the hell would WE care about that? :cynic:

OpIv37
12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Ok... so here we are... many years after the fabled Homerun Throwback (Music City Miracle). We've spent these years angry about the fact that the pass MAY have been a lateral.

I, for one, don't understand how we, as "Hard Core Football fans" care about a technicality like that. The fact is... regardless of where the ball was thrown from and to.. you are talking about 3 feet at the most. When we should be angry at the Bills Special Teams for allowing it to happen in the first place.

first, if he didn't CHEAT by throwing the ball forward, our ST would have done their job. The game has rules and we have every right to expect those rules will be fairly and correctly enforced.

Second, I saw that game again about a year ago on NFLN- the refs were TERRIBLE for the whole game. For example, the Bills were driving with just under 2 minutes left in the half- they ruled the Bills receiver out of bounds when he was in bounds, and there was no official challenge. The Bills punted. A few plays later, Tennesee was driving and the same thing happened, but this time there WAS a challenge, the call on the field was overturned and it lead to a Tennessee score.

The officiating was HORRENDOUS throughout that game, not just on that play- and we have every reason to feel like we got screwed.

gr8slayer
12-19-2006, 10:26 AM
:(

TacklingDummy
12-19-2006, 10:37 AM
That was the Bills year.

I believe that was a Super Bowl team.

Too bad they started RJ. :ill:

Michael82
12-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Oh, you mean that "technicality" where you CAN'T throw a forward pass in that situation?

Yeah. Why in the hell would WE care about that? :cynic:
:bf1:

Michael82
12-19-2006, 10:49 AM
That was the Bills year.

To bad they started RJ. :ill:
That's the thing that pisses me off the most about that game. I really felt that if they won it, they would have gone far, and most likely faced the Rams in the Super Bowl and they had the defense to stop that high powered offense. :(

:mad:

Dr. Lecter
12-19-2006, 10:54 AM
That was the Bills year.

Too bad they started RJ. :ill:

We could have started 6 turnover Flutie instead.

Yay!

Dr. Lecter
12-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Quit blaming the refs people. Make the damn play. Stay in the lanes and this conversation is never happening.

Forward_Lateral
12-19-2006, 10:58 AM
:ill:

TacklingDummy
12-19-2006, 11:03 AM
We could have started 6 turnover Flutie instead.

Yay!

No could have about it. They should have started Flutie.

Dr. Lecter
12-19-2006, 11:05 AM
No could have about it. They should have started Flutie.

yeah, he had such a great year and great playoff history.

Remember his 6 turnover's against Miami the previous season?

Most Flutie-Lickers don't.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2006, 11:09 AM
It's a old debate. I don't have the time to get back into it.

Flutie deserved to be the starter that game.

RJ lived by having 1 good game. 1 good game got him a 5 year 25 million dollar contract and 1 good game got him a playoff start.

Earthquake Enyart
12-19-2006, 11:12 AM

RJ lived by having 1 good game. 1 good game got him a 5 year 25 million dollar contract and 1 good game got him a playoff start.
2 games. RJ had a good game in this playoff game. Good enough to get rid of Flutie.

BAM
12-19-2006, 11:13 AM

aMEN.

Mr. Miyagi
12-19-2006, 11:22 AM

And that 1 good game that year was against an Indy team that sat all their starters, if I remember correctly. :rolleyes:

Mr. Miyagi
12-19-2006, 11:23 AM
It's 2006 and we're still debating the RJ/Flutie thing. :ill:

BAM
12-19-2006, 11:24 AM
I know Miyagi it's crazy isn't it? Who cares! Flutie deserved it. RJ didn't. RJ sucks. Flutie's decent. We lost. Titans won. Screw Jeff Fisher. Eat crap. Get over it.

Mr. Miyagi
12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
I think if we win the coin toss this weekend we should run the same play on them. :D

Bill Brasky
12-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I, for one, don't understand how we, as "Hard Core Football fans" care about a technicality like that.
I can think of a few reasons...

1) it was the last playoff game this franchise has been in.

2) we had the best defense in the league that year and probably had a good shot at going to the SB.

3) TEN went to the SB as a result of that win.

4) we almost beat the AFC champion, on their field, with Rob Johnson...

5) it WAS a forward pass.

6) sports teams in BUF seem to always be on the short end of the stick and this was just another notch in that catergory.

Romes
12-19-2006, 11:35 AM
5) it wasn't a forward pass.

blasphemy!! :blowup:

Bill Brasky
12-19-2006, 11:43 AM
typo... my bad!

show me the view from the blimp then maybe i'll be convinced.... don't show me a sideline angle with a camera on the 35 yard line.

Crazygoo
12-19-2006, 11:46 AM
i am not going to argue about it but if it wasn't a forward pass then why did he have to turn back a little to catch the ball. We got screwed. PERIOD!!!

Romes
12-19-2006, 11:49 AM
typo... my bad!

:phew: good thing

ublinkwescore
12-19-2006, 12:26 PM
That's the thing that pisses me off the most about that game. I really felt that if they won it, they would have gone far, and most likely faced the Rams in the Super Bowl and they had the defense to stop that high powered offense. :(

:mad:

There's no question we had the D to stop the rams, but we shouldn't have even been playing the rams - we should have been playing the Bucs in the superbowl because the Bucs got screwed against the Rams too.

Michael82
12-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I know Miyagi it's crazy isn't it? Who cares! Flutie deserved it. RJ didn't. RJ sucks. Flutie's decent. We lost. Titans won. Screw Jeff Fisher. Eat crap. Get over it.
:up:

The_Philster
12-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Quit blaming the refs people. Make the damn play. Stay in the lanes and this conversation is never happening.
Bingo...Daryl Porter was so far out of his lane it was ridiculous

njsue
12-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Please no more talk about the militent midget! :ill:

Kerr
12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Unless some of you are psychics, how in the hell do you know that had flutie started, the bills would have won the game?? I can't recall one game when flutie started and did well against a top ranked defense, which the titans had. The #2 defense in the league at that time.

It's rather simple. RJ didn't play so well early in the game, but he did enough at the end to get the team the win. Isn't that the important aspect of the qb position? It's not how you start, but how you finish? So many times we've seen hall of fame qb's play poorly in important games, but finished strong and helped their teams win. The difference is that their special teams didn't blow the win regardless whether it was an illegal pass or not. Had they stated in their lanes, HR throwback would likely not have happened.

By no means am I saying rj is a better qb than flutie, but he did what he had to do in that game for the bills to have a chance and played with a lot of heart. Criticize him over his career in B-lo if you want to, but I don't how anyone can seriously blame rj for the loss.

The_Philster
12-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Daryl Porter was more to blame for the loss than RJ, by far

Mr. Cynical
12-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Why are we stirring up an old wound? Hasn't there been enough of the QB debate over JP for the last 2 years to satisfy that itch? Getting kinda tired of arguing just to argue to be honest.