PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at that Houston game......

Coach Sal
12-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Do you think JP would be playing as well as he is right now - and the team playing as well as they are - if that comeback in the final two minutes never happened the way it did?

At the time it happened, so many fans/media said, "this could be what JP needs to become a leader and mature." Well, it obviously helped. But how much was that moment really a factor in what's going on now?

bloch1ef7
12-20-2006, 08:44 AM
It could be that, or the Jax game, you can see the difference from the begining of the year!

BillsNick
12-20-2006, 09:16 AM
I think that game was the spark that JP needed. Would he be playing as well if he didn't get that play? I think so.

raphael120
12-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Confidence in your team, your QB, your coaches does a world of good.

For someone to say that mental state of mind does not help is a fool.

BAM
12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
First undefeated team since '72 next year! :D

Dr. Lecter
12-20-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't think so. The confidence JP acquired that game as well as the confidence in his ability to lead the team he put into his teammates is tremendously helpful.

For the first time in his career he led the team downfield to a winning drive. To duplicate that feat the next week just added fuel to the fire.

SABURZFAN
12-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Do you think JP would be playing as well as he is right now

HE IS??????? :huh:

Dr. Lecter
12-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Now, now SAB.

No evaluations until after the season.

Meathead
12-20-2006, 05:59 PM
it was bound to happen eventually and actually pretty soon. he was steadily progressing and beginning to make critical plays already. and with a completion percentage so high it seemed inevitable that would be a game winner somewhere along the line

so yeah it helped him with confidence and to finally get that behind him. but im not sure it was as big to him as it was to us. nobody on the team seemed surprised or relieved that jp finally came through as if some big weight of his was lifted off their shoulders. i mean if you listen they were saying it all along. he was saying it, the coaches were saying it, the other players were saying it and we saw it on the field. so when he finally did it they were happy but definitely in a manner like they were expecting it. maybe thats why i was

The_Philster
12-20-2006, 06:01 PM
I think it definitely was key in helping him turn the corner. When he was put in a position where he had to do a lot early in the season, he struggled. They scaled back things during the Bye week and he didn't have to do much...they let loose more against Houston and this time around, when put in a position where he had to do a lot, JP and his teammates came through. If he hadn't stepped up then, we might very well be not only completely out of the playoff hunt, but we'd be looking for a new QB in the offseason

SABURZFAN
12-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Now, now SAB.

No evaluations until after the season.

oh yeah....i almost forgot. :couch: :snicker:

Tatonka
12-20-2006, 06:53 PM
i personally think it was huge.

just as a lack of confidence in ones self can kill your ability to perform, confidence in yourself can breed some serious success.

and once you know you can do it.. it takes alot more to bring your confidence back down.

i think the game was huge for him.. huge for the coaches faith in him, and huge for the teams faith in him.

X-Era
12-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Do you think JP would be playing as well as he is right now - and the team playing as well as they are - if that comeback in the final two minutes never happened the way it did?

At the time it happened, so many fans/media said, "this could be what JP needs to become a leader and mature." Well, it obviously helped. But how much was that moment really a factor in what's going on now?

flash back what ifs, playoff scenarios, ive got no time for this, ive got a **** fight to go to.

Sorry man, joking aside, it is what it is and its too much for my feable brain to handle this and the playoff mess.

Drive 4 Five
12-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Actually, I thought the turning point was during the Packers game. Not many agreed with me at the time, but sometimes stats do not tell the entire story. What stood out in my mind was how Losman took a beating the entire game, he played miserably for 45 minutes and all of a sudden he comes out and leads the offense on a game winning drive highlighted by the big pass to Evans for the go ahead score. Granted the defense had to protect that lead but I believe that game, that moment, was the turning point.

Drive 4 Five
12-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Obviously the coaches were not convinced because the very next game they only atempted to pass the ball like 12 times (Indy game) but in terms of solidifying himself as the leader of that squad, in the eyes of his teamates at least, the GB game was huge. Losman stood tough and delivered.

YardRat
12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
i personally think it was huge.

just as a lack of confidence in ones self can kill your ability to perform, confidence in yourself can breed some serious success.

and once you know you can do it.. it takes alot more to bring your confidence back down.

i think the game was huge for him.. huge for the coaches faith in him, and huge for the teams faith in him.

I agree...I think it was a moment for the entire team when the lightbulb came on. The defense stepped up as a unit and stopped Houston in three plays when they had to, and Clements made a great individual play batting down the pass. The offense drove in for the winning score, great pass by JP and even better catch by Peerless to seal the win.

I think that game really cemented belief in this team, by the players themselves, that they could not only compete... but win with who they have right now.