PDA

View Full Version : All bluffing aside, what is TD's stance on Price?

WG
03-04-2003, 09:27 AM
I pulled this from a piece by Leo Roth of the D&C this morning.

As for Price, Donahoe said, that in addition to Atlanta, he has fielded calls from “several” teams feeling him out about a trade.

Price is free to solicit offers and trade possibilities.

“We’re not trying to move him, we’re trying to get him back,” Donahoe said. “We’re comfortable, if he wants to come back at the franchise figure ($5.01 million), we’ll live with it for a year.

“We’ve tried to make that clear to the agent. We’re not actively trying to trade him. That’s up to them if that’s the avenue they want to take.”

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0304story1_bills.shtml

B/c paying Price really hampers our efforts to address all the defensive areas the way we need to if we want to win a championship.

So TD's lying on one of the two counts;

He says that "fixing the D is the priority", but then out of the other side of his mouth he's essentially acting like he'd like to have Price here even if it means paying him $5 for the year.

I just don't get it. There's no way we're gonna "fix the D" and and pay Price, a #2 WR, that kind of money. We also have to sign some backups and depth. So we're either not gonna get more than one defensive player who will make a huge difference or we're not gonna sign Price. So either way, TD's words can't be believed IMO. It's all just a big show and we have to judge him solely on his actions and not his words.

It's disturbing if what he says about Price above is true. Seems like he won't take anything less than a first rounder maybe which I doubt will be offered for Price. So it's more and more, if TD's words are to have any meaning, looking more and more as if Price will be with the Bills this season. Sadly, that would mean not more than one major upgrade to our D this season. Likely the WLB spot. There's no way we're gonna get Adams and Peterson or Spikes. It would take up all of our remaining cap, possibly more.

Schobel94
03-04-2003, 09:30 AM
If he were to go out and say we want or NEED to trade Price would be detrimental to the deal. He just wants to get as much out of it as he can. If you have a good hand in poker you dont advertise it to everyone, he's playing a dangerous game that I think he'll win.

Patrick76777
03-04-2003, 09:34 AM
He's bluffing Wys....come on get with the program. If Atlanta knows that he HAVE to trade him, they'll wait until we remove the tag.

You can't be serious that you don't see this!

clumping platelets
03-04-2003, 09:36 AM
And y'all need to realize that the Bills have plenty of cap space and the flexibility to create more (without hurting the future) to address needs on the defense. :rolleyes:

:deadhorse:

Shasta McNasty
03-04-2003, 09:40 AM
exactly what I was thinking Schoebel94.

WG
03-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Well, I'd believe that when I saw it CP. With signings like Posey, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. 3 more such signings would wipe us out and certainly not put a championship caliber D on the field for this season.

The more I'm reading this morning the more I think he is FoS about keeping Price. I've read from several regional sources now that Atlanta's willing to part w/ a first, which would be awesome.

But re: Atlanta's stance, re: 76777's comment, I'm assuming that Atlanta has studied their negotiating foe somewhat. If so, it doesn't take a genious to figure out that we're so hurting on D up front in our front 7 that to waste $5M on Price would be mostly ludicrous. So while TD may be bluffing, to assume that Atlanta knows absolutely nothing of our situation would be naive IMO. I'm sure they're fully aware there 76777 what our current situation is. We know of theirs, so unless Reeves is blind, deaf, and dumb, then they know full well inspite of what TD says.

What, do you really think that they don't read any of our media? I simply can't believe that. We read theirs.

If that's true BTW, that Atlanta's offering us a first rounder, I would think that such a deal will be completed one way or the other by week's end so that this soap opera ends and we can get 100% on w/ the business of signing some D players. Very good ones.

I'd be happy w/ Spikes and/or Peterson and Thornton. Adams would also be good, but he'd command more than Thornton and would only be of use to us for a couple of seasons vice the 4-6 that Thornton would as he enters his prime.

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
The more I'm reading this morning the more I think he is FoS about keeping Price. .

Don't you think that, that's exactly what he wants everyone to think? He obviously making everyone second guess his next move. Welcome to FA'cy wys.

Remember Flutie/Johnson and of course Drew Bledsoe?

WG
03-04-2003, 10:04 AM
I only say that based on the "rumors" out of Atlanta that they are willing to part w/ a first rounder for Price. The assumption is that that rumor did not orginate out of Buffalo. If it did, then it can be discounted.

Who knows, but we should know shortly. If it's true that Atlanta is willing and ready to dispense w/ a first rounder, then I really don't see this deal taking longer than this week to make. A secondary pick likely 4th or later, or conditional and not even necessarily this year shouldn't hang up a negotiation like this. It's nickel and dime stuff if they have the rest of the deal worked out.

If this takes longer than this week, then I would question the reports about Atlanta willing to give up a first.

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 10:11 AM
Can Atlanta seriously make a huge difference with PP? Is he the perfect guy to take them to the next level in terms of talent? If so then I guess PP will be a Falcon next year.

colin
03-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Price would be a great addition to Hotlanta.

Clump, how late can we take back the tag on Price?

Michael82
03-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Wys...Can you listen to us for a minute? First of all...please, please, please stop beating that horse! I'm sorry if you are going to take this the wrong way...but you are saying the same thing in millions of posts. It's getting annoying. TD has an awesome poker face. He does not intend to keep Price and all over the Rochester and Buffalo radio stations...they are saying that. TD is just a damn good lier. If he convinced you, then he can definitely convince Atlanta, or even Philly. Word out of Atlanta is that they are willing to part with their first round pick and after the dinner that Arthur Blank had with Price....he will get the deal done. Price wants to play with Vick and would love to stay at his hometown. It's going to happen! SOON! Patience, my old apprentice. :D

The Bills are just trying to see if other teams are willing to do a 1st rounder. IF TD could get a pick within the top 15...I'm sure he'd prefer that over the 23rd. This is also why they are trying to convince Atlanta to throw in another later round pick or a conditional. After Atlanta traded their LB...they got themselves another 4th rounder...I can see them offering both their 1st rounder and one of the 4th rounders. This is happen soon. Once this happens...TD will jump at it and the deal will be finalized. Relax and let the guy do what he does best. PATIENCE! :D

WG
03-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I think for any team, Price will probably be at his best and Atlanta probably would benefit the most, outside of Philly maybe, from Price.

The only question is will the lack of a name WR across from him and the resulting double coverage that he'd see often keep him from being effective?

I think it would to an extent. But Price is so blazing fast that he'll make some plays on the merits of speed alone. But that wouldn't be consistently presumably.

Ya gotta remember, both at UT and in Buffalo, he had big names opposite him. When they won the championship, wasn't it Holt across from him along w/ even another very good WR too in the lineup? If you remember that game, he was used primarily on flies down the sideline where his speed was the primary factor.

In Buffalo, he's obviously had Moulds and even Reed, JR, Centers, and even Henry to distract the D. The Bills D, at least on paper, was one of the most prolific we've ever fielded last season.

So the question will be how will Price handle being the go-to guy w/ no one but Finneran to distract? IMO he'll struggle, single digit TDs and 1,200 yards or fewer w/ half of that in 4 games or so. Like someone else mentioned this morning, Price is a "feast or famine" type of player. Either he comes up huge or puts in an average or lesser performance.

In Atlanta, Vick will get him the ball, but the coverage will also be there. They're in Tampa's division too. Carolina's pass D won't be too shabby this year either. They've been focusing on D over the last season.

WG
03-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Having said that, I think Price would have a heyday in Philly opposite Pinkston, an up and coming WR, albeit slowly to date. Pinkston would benefit as well.

That's why I'm moderately surprised that Philly hasn't made a pitch. They're WRing is their largest shortcoming. Maybe they have some youth or a plan to draft one. Who knows. I'm also not familiar w/ their cap situation.

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 10:27 AM
I don't think he's that fast. I could cover him myself......for a yard. After that , he can mail me a postcard.

If that's the case than I think Atlanta will want him. I think Td is just trying to see if he can get more.

WG
03-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Yeah, well it ain't worth pissin' off the dinner host for a few table scraps or a doggy bag!

Michael82
03-04-2003, 10:39 AM
Don't forget....in the next few days or so...you will owe me 1,000 ZoneBucks, Mr. Wing Man! :D

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 10:40 AM
We could use those zb's for your birthday Mike!!!

Michael82
03-04-2003, 10:54 AM
What do you mean, justa? :scratch:

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 10:57 AM
How many lap dances can we get with 1,000 zb's? Forget it, I don't want any BZ mods sitting on my laP.

I was kidding Mike.

Michael82
03-04-2003, 11:07 AM
hey...I wonder what I can get Cntry to do....hehe :lol:

:jk:

WG
03-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Don't forget....in the next few days or so...you will owe me 1,000 ZoneBucks, Mr. Wing Man! :D

I sure hope so Mike, I really do. I'll swap 1,000 ZBs for a first rounder any day of the week!

Here's hopin'...

:cheers:

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 11:15 AM
what big name WR did price have across from him at UT? to my knowledge.. he was the big name

WG
03-04-2003, 11:32 AM
No, he was the second. I think it was Holt. For a few years there they were a WR factory. Dyson, Nash, Price and a few others. Nash hasn't done much in the NFL, but he was very good at UT.

I forget who it was, but Price was definitely the #2. I'll look into it...

Voltron
03-04-2003, 11:32 AM
I wonder about the double coverage he will see because every D has to watch the middle for a vick scramble. I think if Price takes a double then that leaves lots of room for Vick to run. It will be intresting if it happenes. Lets not forget that WR is overabundent in this draft as well so he may have some rookie help too.

mybills
03-04-2003, 11:53 AM
I may be naive, but I think TD really does want to keep Price.

Because, can Atlanta afford him @ 5mil? If not, why can't we keep him for less? Don't you think he'd eventually agree to that if noone else can give him that much? Then we'd not only have more twd the D, but we still have the dangerous duo of Moulds & Price, which IMO, other teams fear.
:confused:

WG
03-04-2003, 12:35 PM
T, apparently I was thinking of the prior year when they had Nash. IDK why. Anyway, you are correct, he was the man in '98.

Anyway, in his single best season at UT I'm not even sure he had 1,000 yards. He had 10 TDs if I'm not mistaken. He's always been a big play WR, even in college. What I would question about him is the game-to-game consistency as many have challenged. Unfortunately, that's just as important in the NFL as big plays are. And teams can't live off of big plays.

His being in Atlanta would be interesting. As to the assertion that he'd be more valuable w/ Vick scrambling, I'm not so sure about that. Price is at his best on the fly where he can burn DBs. If it gets to "having to get open", then I'm not so sure that's where his strengths lie.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Torry holt went to NC state i think.

Shasta McNasty
03-04-2003, 01:02 PM
exactly thurm

WG
03-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Nash was the guy I was thinkin' of. I knew it was a 4-letter name where the second letter was a vowel.

Really, that's the scary part...

:D

don137
03-04-2003, 01:28 PM
One thing to remember TD has a better hand on the interest level of Price than anyone one of us or the media. Atlanta media is saying the Falcons will gladly give up a #1 for him but I haven't heard anyone from the team say that. Only TD knows how many teams are interested in Price, what are or if there are any formal offers so far. IMO TD has had some interest but is hoping that when push comes to shove he will get a couple of picks for Price. Personally I would take a #1 and run if offered but I guess that's why I am some guy on a fan board and he is the GM.