PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Bills?

Devin
12-20-2006, 04:00 PM
It's a slow day so I am just kind of putting this one out there.

Two things i focused on:

1. Chemistry. This unit has played as a complete team more then (imo anyway) any unit in years. For the most part I believe there could be an argument to resign almost all of our FA's.

2. Reality. Honestly I dont even think we will be able to re-sign most the below names. There is just to much out there in far more appealing situations. So we will have to over-pay for some of these guys.

Resign:
London Fletcher
Mike Gandy
Anthony Hargrove
Chris Kelsay
Rian Lindell
Duke Preston
Anthony Thomas
Kiwaukee Thomas
Coy Wire

Extend:
Lee Evans

*Note*
I am not saying the Bills SHOULDNT resign Clements, I just don't believe they will be able to.

And while I would love to see the Bills go after guys like Lance Briggs, Cato June, Asante Samuel....etc I just don't believe it will happen.

FA:
Jamar Fletcher, CB
FB
OL
LB

The above is impossible to predict really, I just pointed out key positions that need filling/help.

Draft:
Round 1: Zach Miller, TE
Round 2: Amobi Okoye, DT
Round 3: Steve Smith, WR

Starting 2007 Offense:
QB: JP Losman
RB: Willis McGahee
FB: *FA
WR: Lee Evans
WR: Reed/Smith (rookie)
TE: Zach Miller (rookie)
OT: Jason Peters
OG: Mike Gandy
C: Melvin Fowler
OG: Aaron Merz/Duke Preston
OT: Terrence Pennington

Offense Conclusion:
I truly think Merz will develop into a starting calibur OG. He is just vicious and while I hesitate to have so much inexperience on the right side, moving Gandy there maybe best.

Drafting Zach Miller gives us a legit Todd-Heap-Like threat at TE. Miller is the real deal, exceptional blocker great route running/hands, it also allows us to utilize more two TE sets and provide better protection/blocking. The thought of Evans, Miller, McGahee (when he feels like playing) and our supporting cast of WR's (price/reed/parrish/Smith *rookie) gives JP nothing but weapons. Couple that with an OL kept in tact and hopefully by this point "geling" I think we see a lot more production.

Steve Smith gives us a true possesion WR who is fearless over the middle.

These moves also give us a very young offense that will be playing together for sometime. If Losman keeps improving and plays better next season re-signing him long term will obviously be a priority.

Starting 2007 Defense:
DE: Aaron Schobel
DE: Anthony Hargrove/Kelsay
DT: Larry Triplett/John McCargo
DT: Kyle Williams/Okoye (rookie)
OLB: TKO
MLB: London Fletcher
OLB: Angello Crowell
CB: *FA
CB: Terrence McGee
SS: Donte Whitner
FS: Ko Simpson

Defense Conclusion:
I really think next season will be a far better one for our D. You will see two former rookies in the secondary who have a year of seasoning play even better. I also think TKO will have a far more productive year, I gave him a bye this season as I knew it would be a process getting back to normal.

I also think moving Hargrove back to his natural DE position would be a smart move. Kelsay/Denney arent bad at all but they are more pass rushers then run stoppers. Hargrove I think is the more balanced package. Not to mention hes very young, but has great size with proper coaching I think hes an excellent compliment to Schobel.

Signing a vet to come in for a season or two replacing Nate is a reality. Youboty hopefully can move into a nickel role in 07.

A possibility is also moving Crowell inside to MLB.

We bid adieu to Anderson and bring in this Okoye youngster. This kid has excellent size and will grow into a great NT. Ridiculous athletic ability for his size, has moves but is a sick bull-rusher very smart and has very high character.

Thoughts:
This team this season, next and probably 2008 is a work in progress but I truly feel marv/dick have started to right the ship. The sad reality is we just simply are not going to be a team with a 50-60-70 mil player on it anytime soon. But through good drafting and quality players I think we are getting there. The above is a combination of what id like to see while trying to keep it somewhat realistic.

Typ0
12-20-2006, 04:03 PM
everybody loves Fletcher. He's been a good player for us. He plays hard and has been a leader on the field. He's old, slow and small. This defense can't stop the run. If it could Fletcher would be headed to the pro-bowl this season. We need to upgrade that position.

Devin
12-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I can see that argument, personally im an advocate of putting Crowell in the middle.

shelby
12-20-2006, 04:45 PM
:goodpost:

Yasgur's Farm
12-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Resign:
London Fletcher
Mike Gandy
Anthony Hargrove
Chris Kelsay
Rian Lindell
Duke Preston
Anthony Thomas
Kiwaukee Thomas
Coy Wire

Extend:
Lee EvansLove it all... But I also think the timing is right to extend JP.

Draft:
Round 1: Zach Miller, TE
Round 2: Amobi Okoye, DT
Round 3: Steve Smith, WRI'd rather go this direction...
Round 1: Package our #1 and TKO for Dwayne Jarrett or (dare I say) Calvin Johnson.
Round 2: TE or CB
Round 3: Guard

That takes care of the O...

Starting 2007 Offense:
QB: JP Losman
RB: Willis McGahee
FB: Neufeld
WR: Lee Evans
WR: Jarrett or Johnson
TE: Rookie
OT: Jason Peters
OG: Mike Gandy
C: Melvin Fowler
OG: Duke Preston
OT: Terrence Pennington

D can be addressed via free agency starting with Dwight Freeney and a double F (Fat & fast) DT...

Starting 2007 Defense:
DE: Dwight Freeney
DE: Denney/Kelsay
DT: Larry Triplett/John McCargo
DT: FA/Kyle Williams
OLB: Aaron Schobel
MLB: London Fletcher
OLB: Angello Crowell
CB: Youboty/FA
CB: Terrence McGee/Thomas
SS: Donte Whitner
FS: Ko Simpson

casdhf
12-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Devin ... take it from a guy in Michigan ...

we do NOT want Jamar Fletcher on this team.

Devin
12-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I just cant agree with moving Schobel to LB. At 275 pounds hed be a nightmare in the Cover 2.

I dont think TKO goes anywhere either. And I don't believe we sign Freeney either.

Youboty is a nickel back at best in 2007.

YardRat
12-20-2006, 08:56 PM
I don't think you move a Pro Bowl DE and the current NFL leader in sacks to LB.

I don't see us signing any big names in FA.

I don't see us drafting a TE in the first round next year, and I DO see Royal starting again next year.

I'd have to agree with you, Devin, on most of your post, except maybe the TE and also CB...Don't be surprised if Thomas moves into the starting role when Clements leaves.

Devin
12-20-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't hink you move a Pro Bowl DE and the current NFL leader in sacks to LB.

I don't see us signing any big names in FA.

I don't see us drafting a TE in the first round next year, and I DO see Royal starting again next year.

I'd have to agree with you, Devin, on most of your post, except maybe the TE and also CB...Don't be surprised if Thomas moves into the starting role when Clements leaves.

Certainly an option I believe of all our CB's Thomas is the most capable.

Agree about Schobel

Agree about FA's

As far as a TE, you could argue a need for almost every position bar maybe 2-3. A TE like Miller does a few things imo:

1. Gives us another LEGIT weapon on O, a guy like Miller will also IMO anyway give guys like Price/Reed/Parrish more catches. Teams dont respect anyone but Evans at the moment. Throwing a pass catching TE (who also is a bruising blocker) into the mix forces defenses to compensate more. Sure we still need a legit #2 WR, but imo a threat at TE is a greater need.

2. It allows us more options with Royal, 2 TE's both of which are capable blockers gives us a little more flexibility with JP. Assuming he continues down the current path anyway.

3. While defense has to be a priority, building on offense that makes opposing teams respect us, and thats capable of putting up points is a must. Not to mention I think next season our D is going to play much better. I think TKO will be closer to previous form and our rookies have a little seasoning in them now.

YardRat
12-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Not arguing with your logic, or saying it would be a bad move...Just don't see us taking a TE with our #1.

bloch1ef7
12-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Royal's playing the best of his career, and you want to draft a TE?

bloch1ef7
12-20-2006, 09:24 PM
we need a new starting DT!

Devin
12-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Royal's playing the best of his career, and you want to draft a TE?

Exactly.

THis is as good as he gets.

Tatonka
12-20-2006, 11:47 PM
if this team can finish 9-7 and either make the playoffs or just miss the playoffs, dont under estimate the value of that to free agents..

it may help in the resigning of a guy like clements, and it will also help get new guys in here who will view us as an up and coming team who are on the verge of greatness..

free agents look at things like that.. they want teams who are set at qb and good offensive threats, as well as leaders in key positions.. i think we are all of those things.

i dont think FA will be bad for us at all.

gr8slayer
12-21-2006, 12:32 AM
I don't like the idea of giving the nod to Youboty when the guy has hardly played any this season. I would rather start Thomas myself.

- Schobel to LB? No way, he is too important to our pass rush.

- I don't think Royal has done all that bad this year at TE, I would kind of like to see him in the Offense another year before I give up on him.

gr8slayer
12-21-2006, 12:33 AM
if this team can finish 9-7 and either make the playoffs or just miss the playoffs, dont under estimate the value of that to free agents..

it may help in the resigning of a guy like clements, and it will also help get new guys in here who will view us as an up and coming team who are on the verge of greatness..

free agents look at things like that.. they want teams who are set at qb and good offensive threats, as well as leaders in key positions.. i think we are all of those things.

i dont think FA will be bad for us at all.
I don't either. I can see Ralph handing the check book over to Marv if we can get into the play-offs.

gr8slayer
12-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Well we just drafted McCargo in the first round so look for him to be starting at some point once healthy.

Devin
12-21-2006, 01:19 AM
I didnt mean to give the impression by drafting Miller we are giving up on Royal, it was meant to give us more options and better blocking/schemes....etc.

Royal would still be a big part of the O just more so in a blocking roll.

LifetimeBillsFan
12-21-2006, 02:58 AM

I don't think you will necessarily get a new starting DT, but I do believe that the Bills will bring in a new 1-gap DT to pair with Kyle Williams either as a free agent or through the draft.

About 2-3 weeks ago, Marv Levy was quoted in the Buffalo News in a story that was linked on the BZ front page(http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061207/1049682.asp --in library now), as saying that the Bills needed to get better run-stopping play from their DTs.

In a recent story on BuffaloBills.com, DC Perry Fewell made the following statement about K.Williams: "Kyle was a guy where what we saw on tape was what we got," said Fewell. "Kyle has been instrumental in terms of doing the things we needed to have done at that position. We'd like him to gain a little more weight, but his contribution has been significant." (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4499- bolding and underlining are mine).

All of which indicates to me that the Bills are not happy with the play that they have gotten from their 1-gap DTs this season against the run and see that as a priority area to be improved this off-season.

McCargo and Tripplett are really 3-gap DTs, as is Hargrove when they move him inside from DE to use as a pass-rusher. It is interesting to note that they are asking Kyle Williams to put on additional weight, but in neither of these articles was Anderson even mentioned.

That leads me to believe that the Bills may look to acquire a 1-gap DT, either through the draft or free agency, to pair with a bulked-up Kyle Williams in the rotation at that position. If that is the case, a name to keep in mind, if he comes out in the draft as a junior, is LSU DT Glenn Dorsey--who paired with Williams at that position last season in college. Unlike Michigan's Alan Branch, who goes in the 290 lb. range, Dorsey is a true 1-gap who weighs 300+.

If the Bills feel that McCargo can shift over to the 1-gap spot and hold up after his injury, Branch would be an option at DT.

However, depending on how well TKO plays in the remaining games of the season and whether they are able to bring Fletcher-Baker back at a reasonable price or not, I can see the Bills making LB their first priority over a DT in the draft if they choose to go defense first. If they do not bring back TKO or Fletcher-Baker, signing Lance Briggs from the Bears should be a major priority in free agency--although the Bears will almost certainly make re-signing him a priority for their team.

If the Bills go for an offensive player instead of going defense, I would see them looking at one of the play-making WRs in the first round instead of a TE. Every indication is that the Bills are happy with Royal as their starting TE and, with Losman's arm, another deep threat or play-maker on the outside in the passing game would open things up even more for their offense.

With the improved play of the offensive line since the bye week, I don't think that they are as unhappy with their offensive linemen as they were early in the season, but I would expect that they may look to draft at least one offensive lineman in the middle to late rounds (3-7) and perhaps bring in a stud offensive guard, if they can get one, in free agency (especially if they are not sold on Preston--who Jauron has said that they are evaluating).

But, I suspect that the emphasis will once again be on shoring up the defense--specifically the middle of the D-line and LB corps. Crowell and Ellison give the Bills 2 good starters for this defense, Fletcher-Baker gives them nice leadership, if he comes back, but IMHO they still need at least one good young LB and better play from the 1-gap DT spot to become a really solid, playoff-caliber defense.

John Doe
12-21-2006, 05:45 AM
I can't see Thomas being an adequate replacement for Clements. Thomas is a good nickle back and a solid special teams guy, but we would be hurting big time if he has to constantly cover the opponent's top wide reciever like Clements has been called on to do this season.

If Nate walks after this year then Youboty will start or we will get someone else through free agency or the draft.

Also, unless we get a lot better run-stopping play from the tackle position, there is no way that either Crowell or Ellison will be adequate as a full time middle linebacker.

kernowboy
12-21-2006, 05:45 AM
Okay I see it like this;

The keys are: Free Agent, Backup, draftpick

Resign:
Hargrove
Kelsay
Wire
Preston
Gandy
A Thomas
K Thomas

We will try to resign Nate Clements but he will demand too much
We will try to resign London Fletcher-Baker but Rosenhaus will want too much and a contract that is too long.
McGahee will hold out and the decision will be made to trade him, even if its for a pick in the 2008 draft where we may get a RB of the future (Slaton)

The starting line up may look like this

QB JP Losman, Pat Ramsay backup with a stronger arm
WR Lee Evans/Price
WR Ernest Wilford/Reed
RB A-Train, TJ Duckett
FB Cieslak or Neufeld
TE Royal/Herian
LT Peters/Doug Free
LG Gandy
C Fowler/Preston
RG David Diehl
RT Pennington or Butler

I see us drafting more for the defence. We might be able to pick up Matt Herian on Day2 to replace Everett, and despite his broken leg is more of blue collar player who will work hard. I see insurance being drafted for Peters in the form of a proper back up. I see us looking to pick up in FA a big No2 and controversially I think Levy/Jauron will look to get a return on mcGahee in the realisation he is as good as gone anyway. They will look around for a big bruising cold weather RB and after his years hiatus in Washington, Duckett will be available. I think Villarial will be replaced by a FA and recommend Diehl

On defence

RE A Schobel, Hargrove
DT Tripplett/McCargo
NT Okoye/K Williams
LE Denney/Kelsay
SLB Posluzny or Willis
MLB Matt Wilhelm
WLB Crowell/Ellison
RCB Youboty/Rumph
LCB McGee/K Thomas
FS Simpson/Weddle
SS Whitner/Wire

Though Fletcher has come awesome, will we give him the salary and length of contract he'll want? I think no and I reckon we will go younger at MLB maybe with Matt Wilhelm. Likewise, TKO may be asked for a paycut. If he says no, we let him go and use a top pick to draft a replacement. Likewise I can see Youboty moving into the lineup, something that may have been planned, we may pick up a cheap young FA who still has upside (Rumph) and maybe a draft pick on a versatile DB like Weddle.

Just because we have loads of cap space doesn't mean we have to use it. Lets also extend those contracts on players who WANT to play in Buffalo

Devin
12-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Wow thats a lot of gutting. You dont want to re-sign Lindell?

I dont see Youboty as starter ready at the #1 spot. Perhaps by 08 or best case mid 07, but for now I think hes the nickel guy.

I also dont think that both London and TKO are gone.

kernowboy
12-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Wow thats a lot of gutting. You dont want to re-sign Lindell?

I dont see Youboty as starter ready at the #1 spot. Perhaps by 08 or best case mid 07, but for now I think hes the nickel guy.

I also dont think that both London and TKO are gone.

sorry, how could I have forgotten Lindell?

ublinkwescore
12-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't either. I can see Ralph handing the check book over to Marv if we can get into the play-offs.

That would be so awesome - Marv could build a team with the combined prowess of the 01 or 02 Ravens/Bucs on D and the 00 Rams on offense.

then we'll go 16-0 regular season, and 3-0 post-season, and EE won't have to worry about going to a loony-bin for blowing up that stupid fin boat off the coast of Florida because they will no longer be able to party and we'll be the ones pissing on their stupid little homo parade.