• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

The 2007 Bills?

It's a slow day so I am just kind of putting this one out there.

Two things i focused on:

1. Chemistry. This unit has played as a complete team more then (imo anyway) any unit in years. For the most part I believe there could be an argument to resign almost all of our FA's.

2. Reality. Honestly I dont even think we will be able to re-sign most the below names. There is just to much out there in far more appealing situations. So we will have to over-pay for some of these guys.

Resign:
    London Fletcher
    Mike Gandy
    Anthony Hargrove
    Chris Kelsay
    Rian Lindell
    Duke Preston
    Anthony Thomas
    Kiwaukee Thomas
    Coy Wire

Extend:
    Lee Evans

*Note*
    I am not saying the Bills SHOULDNT resign Clements, I just don't believe they will be able to.

And while I would love to see the Bills go after guys like Lance Briggs, Cato June, Asante Samuel....etc I just don't believe it will happen.

FA:
    Jamar Fletcher, CB
    FB
    OL
    LB

The above is impossible to predict really, I just pointed out key positions that need filling/help.

Draft:
    Round 1: Zach Miller, TE
    Round 2: Amobi Okoye, DT
    Round 3: Steve Smith, WR

Starting 2007 Offense:
    QB: JP Losman
    RB: Willis McGahee
    FB: *FA
    WR: Lee Evans
    WR: Reed/Smith (rookie)
    TE: Zach Miller (rookie)
    OT: Jason Peters
    OG: Mike Gandy
    C: Melvin Fowler
    OG: Aaron Merz/Duke Preston
    OT: Terrence Pennington

Offense Conclusion:
    I truly think Merz will develop into a starting calibur OG. He is just vicious and while I hesitate to have so much inexperience on the right side, moving Gandy there maybe best.

Drafting Zach Miller gives us a legit Todd-Heap-Like threat at TE. Miller is the real deal, exceptional blocker great route running/hands, it also allows us to utilize more two TE sets and provide better protection/blocking. The thought of Evans, Miller, McGahee (when he feels like playing) and our supporting cast of WR's (price/reed/parrish/Smith *rookie) gives JP nothing but weapons. Couple that with an OL kept in tact and hopefully by this point "geling" I think we see a lot more production.

Steve Smith gives us a true possesion WR who is fearless over the middle.

These moves also give us a very young offense that will be playing together for sometime. If Losman keeps improving and plays better next season re-signing him long term will obviously be a priority.

Starting 2007 Defense:
    DE: Aaron Schobel
    DE: Anthony Hargrove/Kelsay
    DT: Larry Triplett/John McCargo
    DT: Kyle Williams/Okoye (rookie)
    OLB: TKO
    MLB: London Fletcher
    OLB: Angello Crowell
    CB: *FA
    CB: Terrence McGee
    SS: Donte Whitner
    FS: Ko Simpson

Defense Conclusion:
    I really think next season will be a far better one for our D. You will see two former rookies in the secondary who have a year of seasoning play even better. I also think TKO will have a far more productive year, I gave him a bye this season as I knew it would be a process getting back to normal.

I also think moving Hargrove back to his natural DE position would be a smart move. Kelsay/Denney arent bad at all but they are more pass rushers then run stoppers. Hargrove I think is the more balanced package. Not to mention hes very young, but has great size with proper coaching I think hes an excellent compliment to Schobel.

Signing a vet to come in for a season or two replacing Nate is a reality. Youboty hopefully can move into a nickel role in 07.

A possibility is also moving Crowell inside to MLB.

We bid adieu to Anderson and bring in this Okoye youngster. This kid has excellent size and will grow into a great NT. Ridiculous athletic ability for his size, has moves but is a sick bull-rusher very smart and has very high character.

Thoughts:
    This team this season, next and probably 2008 is a work in progress but I truly feel marv/dick have started to right the ship. The sad reality is we just simply are not going to be a team with a 50-60-70 mil player on it anytime soon. But through good drafting and quality players I think we are getting there. The above is a combination of what id like to see while trying to keep it somewhat realistic.
    Last edited by Devin; 12-20-2006, 09:15 PM.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: The 2007 Bills?

everybody loves Fletcher. He's been a good player for us. He plays hard and has been a leader on the field. He's old, slow and small. This defense can't stop the run. If it could Fletcher would be headed to the pro-bowl this season. We need to upgrade that position.

Comment

• Devin
      The Octagon
      • Apr 2003

I can see that argument, personally im an advocate of putting Crowell in the middle.

Comment

• shelby
        The Vanilla *****
        • Jul 2002

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Devin
          Resign:
          London Fletcher
          Mike Gandy
          Anthony Hargrove
          Chris Kelsay
          Rian Lindell
          Duke Preston
          Anthony Thomas
          Kiwaukee Thomas
          Coy Wire

Extend:
          Lee Evans
          Love it all... But I also think the timing is right to extend JP.
          Originally posted by Devin
          Draft:
          Round 1: Zach Miller, TE
          Round 2: Amobi Okoye, DT
          Round 3: Steve Smith, WR
          I'd rather go this direction...
          Round 1: Package our #1 and TKO for Dwayne Jarrett or (dare I say) Calvin Johnson.
          Round 2: TE or CB
          Round 3: Guard

That takes care of the O...

Starting 2007 Offense:
          QB: JP Losman
          RB: Willis McGahee
          FB: Neufeld
          WR: Lee Evans
          WR: Jarrett or Johnson
          TE: Rookie
          OT: Jason Peters
          OG: Mike Gandy
          C: Melvin Fowler
          OG: Duke Preston
          OT: Terrence Pennington

D can be addressed via free agency starting with Dwight Freeney and a double F (Fat & fast) DT...

Starting 2007 Defense:
          DE: Dwight Freeney
          DE: Denney/Kelsay
          DT: Larry Triplett/John McCargo
          DT: FA/Kyle Williams
          OLB: Aaron Schobel
          MLB: London Fletcher
          OLB: Angello Crowell
          CB: Youboty/FA
          CB: Terrence McGee/Thomas
          SS: Donte Whitner
          FS: Ko Simpson

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

Devin ... take it from a guy in Michigan ...

we do NOT want Jamar Fletcher on this team.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

I just cant agree with moving Schobel to LB. At 275 pounds hed be a nightmare in the Cover 2.

I dont think TKO goes anywhere either. And I don't believe we sign Freeney either.

Youboty is a nickel back at best in 2007.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I don't think you move a Pro Bowl DE and the current NFL leader in sacks to LB.

I don't see us signing any big names in FA.

I don't see us drafting a TE in the first round next year, and I DO see Royal starting again next year.

I'd have to agree with you, Devin, on most of your post, except maybe the TE and also CB...Don't be surprised if Thomas moves into the starting role when Clements leaves.
                Last edited by YardRat; 12-20-2006, 09:15 PM.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                  I don't hink you move a Pro Bowl DE and the current NFL leader in sacks to LB.

I don't see us signing any big names in FA.

I don't see us drafting a TE in the first round next year, and I DO see Royal starting again next year.

I'd have to agree with you, Devin, on most of your post, except maybe the TE and also CB...Don't be surprised if Thomas moves into the starting role when Clements leaves.
                  Certainly an option I believe of all our CB's Thomas is the most capable.

Agree about Schobel

Agree about FA's

As far as a TE, you could argue a need for almost every position bar maybe 2-3. A TE like Miller does a few things imo:

1. Gives us another LEGIT weapon on O, a guy like Miller will also IMO anyway give guys like Price/Reed/Parrish more catches. Teams dont respect anyone but Evans at the moment. Throwing a pass catching TE (who also is a bruising blocker) into the mix forces defenses to compensate more. Sure we still need a legit #2 WR, but imo a threat at TE is a greater need.

2. It allows us more options with Royal, 2 TE's both of which are capable blockers gives us a little more flexibility with JP. Assuming he continues down the current path anyway.

3. While defense has to be a priority, building on offense that makes opposing teams respect us, and thats capable of putting up points is a must. Not to mention I think next season our D is going to play much better. I think TKO will be closer to previous form and our rookies have a little seasoning in them now.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Not arguing with your logic, or saying it would be a bad move...Just don't see us taking a TE with our #1.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Royal's playing the best of his career, and you want to draft a TE?

Comment

we need a new starting DT!

Comment

• Devin
                          The Octagon
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by bloch1ef7
                          Royal's playing the best of his career, and you want to draft a TE?
                          Exactly.

THis is as good as he gets.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

if this team can finish 9-7 and either make the playoffs or just miss the playoffs, dont under estimate the value of that to free agents..

it may help in the resigning of a guy like clements, and it will also help get new guys in here who will view us as an up and coming team who are on the verge of greatness..

free agents look at things like that.. they want teams who are set at qb and good offensive threats, as well as leaders in key positions.. i think we are all of those things.

i dont think FA will be bad for us at all.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

I don't like the idea of giving the nod to Youboty when the guy has hardly played any this season. I would rather start Thomas myself.

- Schobel to LB? No way, he is too important to our pass rush.

- I don't think Royal has done all that bad this year at TE, I would kind of like to see him in the Offense another year before I give up on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X