PDA

View Full Version : A little news from around the AFC East

Ingtar33
03-04-2003, 09:41 AM
It looks like soon the Jets are going to loose Chad Morton to the Washington Redskins... as the Redskins just traded for a 5th (from NE) round pick "to help acquire a RFA."
*from the mouth of a redskin staffer...

The Pats are currently looking down the maw of cap hell for years to come, and they're in a tight space (from what I've heard) as it looks like even after their cap restructurings (they were 10+ mil over for this season) they look to only have 2 to 4 mil under... which will make signing their two first round picks very difficult.

The Miami Dolphins (as has already been reported here) are still in tough financial shape since Zack Thomas has yet to restructure... making their plans for FA (if they had any) look like they may be a distant memory.

Isn’t it fun to see the rest of our division enjoy NFL free agency?

clumping platelets
03-04-2003, 09:47 AM
:snicker:

And the Fins fans doubted me when I said they are in cap jail!!

:snicker:

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Good , I'm tired of sitting in the toilet everytime we kick/punt against the jets.

WG
03-04-2003, 09:51 AM
LMAO just!!

Just hope those never happen while you're on the road and need to hit a Johnny! :D

Great post Ingtar!!!

That's a real shame that the Jets may not have Chad Morton aka Speedy Gonzalez. What a pity. That should cut their scoring by about a third. LOL

Skins is a better place for him although we do play them once this season, albeit at home.

Patrick76777
03-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

That's a real shame that the Jets may not have Chad Morton aka Speedy Gonzalez. What a pity. That should cut their scoring by about a third. LOL

1/3 of their points....That's a bit steep don't you think? After all, Field position has very little to do with offensive productivity.

WG
03-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Easy Fido!

JK, eh...

Jokes, humor, lightheartedness, etc.

I should change yours, TT's, and justs' subtitle to "the Anti-Wys"

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
LMAO just!!

Just hope those never happen while you're on the road and need to hit a Johnny! :D

I ran out of pants to wear in the first game alone.

WG
03-04-2003, 10:09 AM
You mean slacks, right! and ya gotta whistle the "S's" through your teeth when you say slacks.

:D

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 10:17 AM
:peace:

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 10:21 AM
the jets can just have santana moss return kicks.. he is as dangerous as morton, if not more.

WG
03-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Good point.

Or as Archie Bunker would say...

..."good pernt!"

venis2k1
03-04-2003, 02:08 PM
You Meat Head.

itsandthings
03-04-2003, 02:31 PM
The Pats are currently looking down the maw of cap hell for years to come, and they're in a tight space (from what I've heard) as it looks like even after their cap restructurings (they were 10+ mil over for this season) they look to only have 2 to 4 mil under... which will make signing their two first round picks very difficult.

This shows your complete ignorance of the situation.

It is true the Patriots are only about $1.8M under the cap, but contrary to your statement they are far from "cap hell". They are actually in far better shape than when Belichick took over, as they have been among the bottom few in the NFL in actual payroll since he arrived.

They have yet to restructure any contracts. They did sign Willie McGinest and Ted Johnson to extensions, as they were in the final year of their old contracts. They also did get Anthony Pleasant to take a paycut. That gives them 57 players under contract. The Patriots have only a little over $1M in dead money.

It would be a relatively simple matter for the Pats to clear some cap room, as there are several contracts they could restructure. For instance, they could perform a simple restructure to Tom Brady's and Richard Seymour's contract to clear up $2.6M in 2003 cap room.

Your confusion probably comes from the fact that Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy both have high cap numbers. However, the Patriots actually have less in future signing bonus amortization (2004 and beyond) than the Bills do, which is why they have a great deal of flexibility.

How far a team is currently under the cap is largely a fluid matter and the numbers aren't necessarily meaningful. What is more meaningful is the amount of future cap room is promised away due to signing bonus amortization, and the Patriots are in very good shape in that area.

Think about it, the Raiders are currently about $6M under the 2003 cap. Do you think they have a good cap situation?