PDA

View Full Version : Clements grew up

ghz in pittsburgh
12-21-2006, 06:13 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-clements&prov=ap&type=lgns

I always visioned Clements as a super talented but immature athlete. The way he named himself the Play Maker just reinforced this notion that sometimes he cared more about his own stats more than the team. At times he went for unnecessary INTs instead of simply defending the passes to help the team win.

But I honestly believe that he is showing signs of growing out of that shadow this season. Maybe his struggle last year and earlier this year has changed him a bit, much like how struggles changed Losman's cocky attitude.

Not once he has referred to himself as the Play Maker this year. He's surpprisingly low key even when people asked about his big plays, very un-Clements like (of the past). Heck he even sounded level-headed most of the time.

Now the cover 2 scheme does not call for a cover guy as good as Clements, in fact he struggled in this scheme early this year. He's much more valuable in schemes like Gregg's 6-4 where one-on-one CBs are a must. But Jauron and Co. found a perfect match for Clements in Buffalo's cover 2 by matching him to opponents best WR after the bye week. That allowed them to move Whitner around to support run defense, to rush the QBs, and to help out double cover dangerous TEs. Let's face it, the Bills in recent weeks were stopping the runs with 8 in the box and Clements allowed them to do that without getting burned for big plays. From that viewpoint I can see Clements is arguably more valuable to the current Bills team than any one else - even Schoebel recognizes that.

Maybe next year or eventually the Bills will field a front 7 that can stop the run. But no one knows that for sure. Right now, Jauron and Co. know a combination that does work (to a degree) with Clements in the lineup. It'll be hard, in my opinion, to break that up. Unless Clements and his agent become unreasonable, I think Levy and Wilson have to do all they can to re-sign him. Pro-ball or not, I view him as the best defensive player on this team. What would the coach Marv think had Bruce Smith left the team in the early 90s?

Romes
12-21-2006, 06:32 AM
I hope he stays but I'm not expecting it.

casdhf
12-21-2006, 06:44 AM
He's staying quiet so no other team thinks he has a huge ego. This could help him get an even bigger pay day.

Romes
12-21-2006, 06:49 AM
He's staying quiet so no other team thinks he has a huge ego. This could help him get an even bigger pay day.

Yup, this is the best thing that could happen for him. He'll make more money this year then he would of last year.

ICE74129
12-21-2006, 07:31 AM
He's staying quiet so no other team thinks he has a huge ego. This could help him get an even bigger pay day. BINGO!

Cheap assed ralph is gonna have to come up with about 60 mill in SB money this offseason to be a player....BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry we all know thats not going to happen, but I had to at least try to say it.

ICE74129
12-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Explain this to me, it says we cant afford to get in a bidding war. how is that? Only if ralph refuses to pay a big enough SB because we have the 2nd or 3rd most cap room of any team. So only SB money would keep us from keeping him.

eyedog
12-21-2006, 08:08 AM
They will be making a big mistake if they let NC walk. They have the money so there really should be no excuse.

What happens next year, is Mcgee going to be the #1 ? I don't want to even think about that. He barely handles the #2 and should be a #3. Who are they going to bring in as the #1 then if NC leaves ? They might as well pay NC imo.

Saratoga Slim
12-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Explain this to me, it says we cant afford to get in a bidding war. how is that? Only if ralph refuses to pay a big enough SB because we have the 2nd or 3rd most cap room of any team. So only SB money would keep us from keeping him.

yeah. and as I understand it, SB money is pro-rated over the length of the contract, diminishing initial cap hit.

My verdict is still out on this one. I think Nate is very good and very valuable to our D. But I don't think he deserves Champ Bailey money, which he very possibly will get.

But then again I don't think our other offseason needs are going to break the bank, so maybe it does make sense to throw him a competitive contract and try to get him back.

I'll understand whichever way OBD goes on this one.

clumping platelets
12-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Does anyone here believe he deserves market rate?

BTW: Market rate is $8+ million/yr with $15+ million guaranteed

My answer:

:no:

eyedog
12-21-2006, 10:11 AM
How does he NOT deserve market rate. If that is the right he should get that. Haven't you been watching him shutdown #1 receivers the last five years. I realize he's had a few bad games in there, but they all do, and for the most part he's been very good.
I think the problem people have is the amount of money he will get. But if that is the going rate for a top corner then that's what he should get paid.

Jeff1220
12-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Clements considers himself one of the league's elite cornerbacks, and expects his next contract to reflect that status. Champ Bailey set the standard when he signed a seven-year, $63 million contract that included an $18 million bonus with Denver in 2004.

I think he's worth it.

madness
12-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Defensive end Aaron Schobel (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5493/) recognizes Clements' value. "I think he's one of the best corners in the league," Schobel said. "I think we have to do everything in our power to get him. ... We need to keep him."

I think Aaron Schobel is right. Knowing Clements is back there giving you the few extra seconds needed to get to the QB is a huge advantage. I bet Schobel doesn't think it's a coincidence that he really turned it on this year about the same time Fewell starting moving Clements around to cover the opponent's #1 WR.

The difference is the Bills have changed Clements' role since the opening weeks. After keeping him on one side no matter which receiver was lined up against him, the Bills are now having him cover an opponent's top threat. The move came after No. 2 cornerback Terrence McGee (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6447/) struggled in consecutive games against Detroit's Roy Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players?type=lastname&first=1&query=Roy+Williams&q=Roy+Williams) and Chicago's Bernard Berrian (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6837/).

We let him go then what? Move McGee over and start basically another rookie in a make or break season? McGee, currently, is NOT a #1 corner mainly due to his size. Plus if we lose Nate, we could possibly end up overpaying for an average or less durable corner.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Had the Bills coverd Roy Williams with Clements in Detroit, the Bills'd win that game period.

raphael120
12-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Does anyone here believe he deserves market rate?

BTW: Market rate is $8+ million/yr with $15+ million guaranteed

My answer:

:no:

i think we'll be singing a different tune if he does leave and we see what kind of glaring, gaping hole we have at not only run D but pass D. he's shut down some of the best recievers in this league, and mcgee has so far been burned by the best recievers in this league. remember the lions? remember chicago?

dont try to fix one hole while opening a huge one somewhere else...

Willis-McGahee21
12-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Ralph please pay Nate! Race the ticket prices if you have to, just keep him here! With the way this team is playing we can't afford to lose one of our biggest playmakers.

Crisis
12-21-2006, 01:14 PM
If Buffalo lets Clements walk then this franchise is a joke.

PECKERWOOD
12-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I remember when nobody wanted Clements here, funny how people change. Anyways, do I want him here? Ofcourse.. Will he be resigned? Most likely not. Marv lost all leverage by promising not to franchise him.

Crisis
12-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I have always wanted Clements here.

G. Host
12-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Yup, this is the best thing that could happen for him. He'll make more money this year then he would of last year.

He should be kissing Marv's feet that he tagged him.

Now if he would get injured against Ravens and then have to come back to Buffalo like Andre Reed did it would be perfect for Buffalo.

eyedog
12-22-2006, 08:15 AM
I remember when nobody wanted Clements here, funny how people change. Anyways, do I want him here? Ofcourse.. Will he be resigned? Most likely not. Marv lost all leverage by promising not to franchise him.

I also remember when some wanted Holcomb starting and the rookies sitting the bench "to learn".