PDA

View Full Version : Are we strong enough at DE?

lunatic_bills_fan
03-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Last year we had discussed many times that our excellent corners in Clements and Winfield were being bitten by lack of a pass rush. I understand that we are going to pick up some pass rushing capability in 1 or 2 new linebackers. But in order to have a successful, sustaining pass rush, you need stud DE's. Where are we gonna find that through either FA'cy or even with drafts. Any suggestions? I mean schobel is starting to come around but I dont think that him and Jones are dominant enough to give us what we need to allow are corners to "show their talents"

ArcticWildMan
03-04-2003, 10:46 AM
If Jones recovers fully from the injury he has, we'll be set. He was looking like Pro-Bowl material before he got hurt. Him and Schoebel would be a very good tandem for ends and it would be a huge improvement over the past year.

The big question is if he will be 100%.

lunatic_bills_fan
03-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Has Hugh Douglas been signed yet?? If not, does our cap situation allow us to fill our needs and even consider him?

TypicalBill
03-04-2003, 10:54 AM
i think resigning Chidi and drafting a DE in the first round(Atlanta's pick) would give us a future starter and somekind of insurance if Jones doesn't pan out.

Our DE's would look like this:
Jones
Schobel
1st RD draft pick
Ahanatu
Denney
McKenzie

good depth and Solid starters IMO

TypicalBill
03-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
Has Hugh Douglas been signed yet?? If not, does our cap situation allow us to fill our needs and even consider him?

no he didn't yet, but IMO, we have more important holes to fill like OLB and DT. He's a great DE but he's gonna want too much i think. Also, he wouldn't be a long term solution....he has 2 or 3 seasons of quality play in him.

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 11:00 AM
So what's the status of Jones' injury. Anyone know?

WG
03-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Great thread start Loony!

I'm w/ ya fully. Seems like a position that many are overlooking lately w/ some false understanding that a Spikes or Peterson would be able to compensate for both positions.

That's why I like Johnstone from Minnesota. He certainly wouldn't break the bank, and w/ a very strong crew around him he'd be more than adequate.

I don't think we would have the bucks to sign a Douglas assuming we get Peterson or Spikes and Thornton or Adams, even w/ the Price money.

We also don't want to go into this season w/ all of our eggs in the "Jones will be fine basket." He may be, but we don't know and it's a sizeable risk. Signing a Johnstone wouldn't break the bank but would give us a bonafide starter at DE. If Jones were to become all that we hope, great, he may start and Johnstone/Schobel could compete for the other side.

Johnstone is the exact type of speedy pass-rushing DE that we need. He's not the greatest at run D, but this so-called 46 needs a guy like Johnstone. I'm surprised the Bills haven't contacted him yet. He'd be good here. He's got a decent history w/o serious injuries and good performances.

But you're right, we need something from somewhere. If we go into the season now and Jones doesn't pan out, or only pans out halfway, then we're screwed again at DE. Even if we resign Ahanotu, he's not the 46 type DE that we need. He's more of a Reggie White (power) style than a Bruce Smith (speedy) style.

Ahanotu will be 33 this season and is slow. Johnstone has at least the sack record that CA does, yet he's younger and speedier. he's taller and lighter, 6'4"/253 vice Ahanotu who's 6'2"/283.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=3609

There's the link for Johnstone. I think he's one of the better "deal" players out there. He'd fit in far better than CA did. I really think he'd be a great addition at DE for us in a 4-year contract. I'm sure we could get him for equal to or less than we got Posey for and he's got a much better and far more proven record!

TypicalBill
03-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Wys, what about drafting one with our first pick? we would save $ and fix the problem.

WG
03-04-2003, 11:16 AM
Sure, as long as we have a first round pick and we know that a particular DE would be available.

Otherwise, there'd be little risk in a Johnstone signing. He wouldn't command a huge bonus. He'd be no more expensive that Posey who only has a fraction of the guy's credentials.

I think dollar for dollar, he'd be a great pickup.

TypicalBill
03-04-2003, 11:20 AM
in that case, i agree, if we dont find a good pass rusher that we like in the draft, then i think we should sign him.

lunatic_bills_fan
03-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Nuff said!! Lets get the paper work rolling and we'll bring TD up to speed on our findings first thing in the morning. I have always liked the speedy more athletic DE's like Taylor and Kearse, just seems those quick first steps cause OL the most trouble.

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 12:48 PM
signing a very strong DT would help the DE's imho ... it would help them tremendously

WG
03-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Jones/Schobel, Thornton, PW, Johnstone

Peterson, Fletcher, Posey

Winfield, S, Wire, and Clements

I still can't get over seeing Posey in there.

TigerJ
03-04-2003, 05:42 PM
No team should ever think it's "good enough" at any position. Practically speaking, it looks like the ends will be improved. If I were to add anything, it would not be Lance Johnstone, a pure pass rusher. If Buffalo is thinking Schobel at LDE (Marcus Jones at RDE where he had a buch of sacks one season) Schobel would fill a Lance Johnstone role. So would Keith McKenzie. I think Buffalo needs a LDE with some meat on his bones. A big strong dude that can fend off a big right tackle and provide some run defence, and get some pressure on the QB when he needs too. I'd love Antonio Garay in that kind of role if the guy wasn't so injury prone. Denver is going to move Trevor Price back outside to fill that role for Mike Shanahan. Ahanotu is a little stouter than Schobel, but he's just not good enough.

The_Philster
03-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Schobel would have to stay at RDE...he doesn't have near the size required at LDE and he could fade away ala Erik Flowers if he gets stuck at LDE.

TigerJ
03-04-2003, 10:10 PM
There are a few small LDEs in the league, but I think Schobel would basically be a situational pass rusher at LDE, maybe lining up wide to give him more room to maneuver around the RT and TE. No way could he line up on a regular basis on first downs, and 2nd and 3rd and short. GW and Jerry Gray might experiment a little with that if Jones beats him out to start. Some might say Jones could be a LDE, but when he's done that in the past he's been ineffective, so we already know that's pretty much out for him. GW will want to get Schobel in the game somehow. BTW Keith McKenzie is roughly the same size as Schobel, and he has normally lined up at LDE. Still, I pretty much agree with your point Phil. That's why I think Buffalo could use a DE in the mold of a Michael Strahan or Trevor Price.