Is Clements worth $65,000,000 over 7 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Is Clements worth $65,000,000 over 7 years?

Cause that is just slightly more than Champ Bailey got a couple of seasons ago. So that is the minimum that he would be looking to get.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Is Clements worth $65,000,000 over 7 years?

**** NO.

And Clements is no Champ Bailey.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

It is not just is Nate worth it, but:

1. Can the Bills fit the numbers under the cap?
      2. What alternatives do the Bills have?
      3. How is the deal structured?
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        It is not just is Nate worth it, but:

1. Can the Bills fit the numbers under the cap?
        2. What alternatives do the Bills have?
        3. How is the deal structured?
        good points, but how do you structure $65 million to not hose your cap at some point?
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Pride
          • Jul 2002

Oh, should have mentioned that Bailey got $18 Mil signing bonus...

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

No one is. Not even Bailey. If Clements wants Bailey money , let him walk and use the $$$ on the Dl. The fins pass D is ranked one of the top in the league because of their DL and not their DB's. Whenever a QB is under pressure, he makes db's look better than they really are. We were in that very same situation a couple of years ago when Sam and Pat were on our team.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
              good points, but how do you structure $65 million to not hose your cap at some point?
              Front load the deal for one. Take advantage of the space next year.
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

Ralph won't let that happen. The Bills will be looking to collect a winning team well underneath the current salary cap. He's eluded to the fact since the new agreement was signed last year. It's in his current contract that the Bills have agreed not to tag him....soooo.....

Not going to happen. Buh-bye Nate.

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Pride
                  Cause that is just slightly more than Champ Bailey got a couple of seasons ago. So that is the minimum that he would be looking to get.
                  Yes, because Ralph keeping his pockets full doesnt help the Bills.

Is there something better to spend 30+ mill in cap space on? I see no version where we need all that for something else so that we must let Clements walk.

We may not like it but the contracts are what they are, we can either step up or lose. Ralph hording money screws the Bills.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jp-era

Is there something better to spend 30+ mill in cap space on?
                    DL and OL.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      I think we need to honestly hit the "cap scrooge" reset button around here. The cap has taken a HUGE jump and players will want a piece of it.

We have the money, spend it.

How about:

10 mill SB, amortized over the length of the 7 year contract (thats a 1.42 annual hit for SB)

2007- 4 mill
                      2008- 5.5 mill
                      2009- 6.5 mill
                      2010- 7 mill
                      2011- 10 mill
                      2012- 10 mill (obviously would be restructured around this time)
                      2013- 10 mill

Not to be sarcastic, but if we go our current route, we will be like 65 mill under the cap by 2013....whats the point! spend the money on making the Bills a SB team.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

I think we need to honestly hit the "cap scrooge" reset button around here. The cap has taken a HUGE jump and players will want a piece of it.

We have the money, spend it.

How about:

10 mill SB, amortized over the length of the 7 year contract (thats a 1.42 annual hit for SB)

2007- 4 mill
                        2008- 5.5 mill
                        2009- 6.5 mill
                        2010- 7 mill
                        2011- 10 mill
                        2012- 10 mill (obviously would be restructured around this time)
                        2013- 10 mill

Not to be sarcastic, but if we go our current route, we will be like 65 mill under the cap by 2013....whats the point! spend the money on making the Bills a SB team.
                        If only Ralph thought that way...

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          DL and OL.
                          OK, so we are signing an entire new OL and DL? And then cutting all of our prospects? Seriosly, give some details on how in the hell we need 30+ mill in cap to fix the lines meaning we cant afford Nate?

Theres all of about 1 or 2 players who could command more than say 4 mill per available in FA on EITHER line. I need to see where the money is going here.

Max Starks, Dwight Freeney, Steinbach ALL wouldnt equal 30 mill if signed to reasonable (but yes high priced) contracts at least as far as next years cap goes.

Comment

• dolphan117
                            • Dec 2005

I don't know, like some have already pointed out it depends on what kind of cap space you have. If you are a team that hasn't spent up to the cap limit in previous years and use the loophole that Clumpy found that the Eagles use to carry over one years unused space into the next year and you can afford to front load the deal than maybe.......

Another question is how much of Bailys contract was in fact "real" money. Some deals (like Lavar Arrington last year) have a tone of bonus money for for stuff that both sides know the player will never do. Like have 200 tackles, or be the league MVP, pick of 20 passes etc. They just add in all this crap money to make it look like the player got a huge deal and it makes his agent look good for future clients. I've always thought it was stupid but some agents (the Postons ) or teams (the Skins) continue to do it.

There has been talk of Dolphins fans wanting him to come to Miami but for a team like us that is in "average" cap space, meaning we couldn't take a huge portion of the cap hit up front, I just don't see how it makes sense. I could see him ending up in a place like Arizona though as far as the cap is concerned. I don't know how badly they need a top corner off the top of my head though as I don't really follow them. That's one hell of a lot of dough to give up for one guy though. I think I would rather try and grab a corner in the first if a team decided the position is that much of a priority.

Edit-And yeah, like some have pointed out I believe you guys would have the space to give him a 65 million dollar deal if your front office felt he was worth it and Ralph felt he had the money to do it. Cap space doesn't seem to be the problem with you guys. Actual cash is.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

OK, so we are signing an entire new OL and DL? And then cutting all of our prospects? Seriosly, give some details on how in the hell we need 30+ mill in cap to fix the lines meaning we cant afford Nate?

Theres all of about 1 or 2 players who could command more than say 4 mill per available in FA on EITHER line. I need to see where the money is going here.

I won't tie up that huge of a cap on one person. He's not even the best cb in the AFC. We also need to spend on guys like Kelsay and our other FA's. We've already taken mediocre players like Fowler, Price, etc. in Marv's first year. We seriously need to get a couple of big named players that can run and stop the run . That is our priority.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X