X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsNick
    • Jul 2003

Why do we need a WR this offseason?

The Buffalo Bills have a Fearsome Foursome going for them the second half of this season.
    Unlike the original Fearsome Foursome - the defensive line of the Los Angles Rams from the 1960s - the Bills' quartet does not wreak havoc with its size and strength.
    The Bills' Fearsome Foursome is all about speed and quickness.
    The Bills have been making good use of their four-receiver formation the past five weeks, and it is causing defenses problems.
    Buffalo has scored five touchdowns the past five games from the four-wideout set, and quarterback J.P. Losman is completing 80 percent of his passes over that span out of the formation. "It's probably my favorite set to be in," Losman said. "I'm able to spread things out and see it."

I just don't see WR as a glaring need.
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Re: Why do we need a WR this offseason?

Everyone knows/respects Evans, which also means he will see a lot more double teams....etc.

While Price/Parrish/Reed are all decent WR's they are also all #3 type guys.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

Get a stud TE to complement them ... like Gonzalez
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• BillsNick
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Devin
        Exactly. Which one is the #2? The defense doesn't know, because all three are capable of making plays, which is evident in our new offense.

I would rather have a #1 and 3 #3's than a #1,2,3,4.

Dangerous is the word for what we have.

Comment

• Kerr
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Lee continues to get double teamed occasionally. If the other wr's were actually bigger threats Lee would be making more plays than he already is.

Comment

• BillsNick
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Kerr
            Lee continues to get double teamed occasionally. If the other wr's were actually bigger threats Lee would be making more plays than he already is.
            Last I checked, Lee was an inch away from making the pro bowl. Looks like he is making some big plays regardless.

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Devin
              Everyone knows/respects Evans, which also means he will see a lot more double teams....etc.

Exactly. No one in the nfl is afraid of reed or price and nor should they be. We need a THREAT opposite Evans

Comment

• BillsNick
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
                Exactly. No one in the nfl is afraid of reed or price and nor should they be. We need a THREAT opposite Evans
                Why do they have to be "afraid".

Looks like all of them have made some clutch plays for us this year.

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

Comment

• Kerr
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsNick
                  Last I checked, Lee was an inch away from making the pro bowl. Looks like he is making some big plays regardless.

No kidding. I'm saying he'd be making more plays if he had a real #2.

Comment

• BillsNick
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Kerr
                    No kidding. I'm saying he'd be making more plays if he had a real #2.
                    I see what you're saying. My thinking is that, Buffalo is building a reputation around the league of having a dangerous passing attack accross the board.

Similar to the old Oilers of the 90's when they had 4 burners at their disposal.

Comment

I think the only thing we lack at WR is height. I think we will retain the group of Price, Reed and Parrish. If one were to be sacrificed off the roster for height it would be Parrish. If we got someone in, a WR like Ernest Wilford at 6ft4, 223lbs would be the prototype

Comment

• G. Host
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2002

The whole idea about the offense appears to be to make defenders run and run and run and eventually tire since it takes more work to cover a WR than the WR to do his thing.

The problem has been execution not game planning.

Comment

• BillsNick
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by kernowboy
                          I think the only thing we lack at WR is height. I think we will retain the group of Price, Reed and Parrish. If one were to be sacrificed off the roster for height it would be Parrish. If we got someone in, a WR like Ernest Wilford at 6ft4, 223lbs would be the prototype
                          There is NO WAY IN HELL that we get rid of Parrish. NO WAY.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsNick
                            I see what you're saying. My thinking is that, Buffalo is building a reputation around the league of having a dangerous passing attack accross the board.

Similar to the old Oilers of the 90's when they had 4 burners at their disposal.

Don't you think that a big possession-type receiver would take a lot of pressure off of Lee Evans? Lee Evans is still doing a great job, but imagine if he wasnt double-teamed all the time. I am not saying that Lee Evans will necessarily get more catches - but I think overall, as a team, we will have better offensive production.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - While Lee may not get more catches, he WILL have better opportunities for big plays since only 1 CB would cover him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't usually like stats - but they CAN suggest something:

Yards Per Game Average -- 260.7 (31st in the league, ahead of only Oakland)
                            Passing Yards Per Game -- 161 (29th in the league)
                            Points Per Game -- 18.9 (21st in the league)

...Some of this is probally because Fairchild limited JP. But regardless, a big-possession type receiver, at the MINIMUM, would likely allow us to:
                            1. Sustain drives for longer (by creating more 1st downs)
                            2. Make things more difficult for opposing defenses in terms of scheming.
                            3. All of the above will allow our defense to rest for longer.

What do you think?

Comment

• Jimbuktu
                              • Oct 2004

agree with billsnick, if anyone, I say replace Price with a legit 2 ... then we would have a TRUE fearsome foursome

Comment

Working...
                              X