PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need a WR this offseason?

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 02:34 PM
The Buffalo Bills have a Fearsome Foursome going for them the second half of this season.
Unlike the original Fearsome Foursome - the defensive line of the Los Angles Rams from the 1960s - the Bills' quartet does not wreak havoc with its size and strength.
The Bills' Fearsome Foursome is all about speed and quickness.
The Bills have been making good use of their four-receiver formation the past five weeks, and it is causing defenses problems.
Buffalo has scored five touchdowns the past five games from the four-wideout set, and quarterback J.P. Losman is completing 80 percent of his passes over that span out of the formation. "It's probably my favorite set to be in," Losman said. "I'm able to spread things out and see it."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061222/1066808.asp?tbd1066808.asp

I just don't see WR as a glaring need.

Devin
12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Everyone knows/respects Evans, which also means he will see a lot more double teams....etc.

While Price/Parrish/Reed are all decent WR's they are also all #3 type guys.

Philagape
12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Get a stud TE to complement them ... like Gonzalez

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 02:40 PM

Exactly. Which one is the #2? The defense doesn't know, because all three are capable of making plays, which is evident in our new offense.

I would rather have a #1 and 3 #3's than a #1,2,3,4.

Dangerous is the word for what we have.

Kerr
12-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Lee continues to get double teamed occasionally. If the other wr's were actually bigger threats Lee would be making more plays than he already is.

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Lee continues to get double teamed occasionally. If the other wr's were actually bigger threats Lee would be making more plays than he already is.

Last I checked, Lee was an inch away from making the pro bowl. Looks like he is making some big plays regardless.

ICE74129
12-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Everyone knows/respects Evans, which also means he will see a lot more double teams....etc.

Exactly. No one in the nfl is afraid of reed or price and nor should they be. We need a THREAT opposite Evans

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Exactly. No one in the nfl is afraid of reed or price and nor should they be. We need a THREAT opposite Evans

Why do they have to be "afraid".

Looks like all of them have made some clutch plays for us this year.

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.

Kerr
12-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Last I checked, Lee was an inch away from making the pro bowl. Looks like he is making some big plays regardless.

No kidding. I'm saying he'd be making more plays if he had a real #2.

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 02:56 PM
No kidding. I'm saying he'd be making more plays if he had a real #2.

I see what you're saying. My thinking is that, Buffalo is building a reputation around the league of having a dangerous passing attack accross the board.

Similar to the old Oilers of the 90's when they had 4 burners at their disposal.

kernowboy
12-22-2006, 03:01 PM
I think the only thing we lack at WR is height. I think we will retain the group of Price, Reed and Parrish. If one were to be sacrificed off the roster for height it would be Parrish. If we got someone in, a WR like Ernest Wilford at 6ft4, 223lbs would be the prototype

G. Host
12-22-2006, 03:01 PM
The whole idea about the offense appears to be to make defenders run and run and run and eventually tire since it takes more work to cover a WR than the WR to do his thing.

The problem has been execution not game planning.

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 03:06 PM
I think the only thing we lack at WR is height. I think we will retain the group of Price, Reed and Parrish. If one were to be sacrificed off the roster for height it would be Parrish. If we got someone in, a WR like Ernest Wilford at 6ft4, 223lbs would be the prototype

There is NO WAY IN HELL that we get rid of Parrish. NO WAY.

Lexwhat
12-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I see what you're saying. My thinking is that, Buffalo is building a reputation around the league of having a dangerous passing attack accross the board.

Similar to the old Oilers of the 90's when they had 4 burners at their disposal.

Don't you think that a big possession-type receiver would take a lot of pressure off of Lee Evans? Lee Evans is still doing a great job, but imagine if he wasnt double-teamed all the time. I am not saying that Lee Evans will necessarily get more catches - but I think overall, as a team, we will have better offensive production.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - While Lee may not get more catches, he WILL have better opportunities for big plays since only 1 CB would cover him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't usually like stats - but they CAN suggest something:

Yards Per Game Average -- 260.7 (31st in the league, ahead of only Oakland)
Passing Yards Per Game -- 161 (29th in the league)
Points Per Game -- 18.9 (21st in the league)

...Some of this is probally because Fairchild limited JP. But regardless, a big-possession type receiver, at the MINIMUM, would likely allow us to:
1. Sustain drives for longer (by creating more 1st downs)
2. Make things more difficult for opposing defenses in terms of scheming.
3. All of the above will allow our defense to rest for longer.

What do you think?

Jimbuktu
12-22-2006, 03:12 PM
agree with billsnick, if anyone, I say replace Price with a legit 2 ... then we would have a TRUE fearsome foursome

Lexwhat
12-22-2006, 03:15 PM

Sam Aiken and Andre Davis are expendable. I think Reed, Parrish, and Price all can stay.

Yasgur's Farm
12-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I think we need the height and muscle in our receiving group...
Lee Eavns
Move up for Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett
Josh Reed
Roscoe Parrish
Peerless Price

Round out our day 1 picks with a dominant TE and an interior lineman...

Move Neufeld to fullback...

Extend Losman and Evans...

This O will dominate for years!!!

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 03:20 PM
What do you think?

I think that to accurately gauge our offesive production, you have to look at the last 6 or 7 games, which is when our offense found itself so to speak.

My point is that we are developing a reputation as a dangerous offense. And once that is respected by teams accross the NFL, they will see that we can throw the ball to any one of our receivers and they are capable of taking it to the house.

Do you see what I'm saying?

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Lee Eavns
Josh Reed
Roscoe Parrish
Peerless Price

With other glaring needs, why would we draft a WR with our first pick. WR is not in our top 3 need positions??

Night Train
12-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I see another big play TE or #2 WR as a big need. Price, outside of the big TD against the Texans, has been a bust IMO. Still gets lazy on many a pattern and just quits. Won't go over the middle or find open space on 3rd down. He was cut twice last year with good reason. He's not fooling me.

Reed and Parrish are strictly #3 slot guys who don't see 50 % of the snaps, so getting double coverage off Evans is important. Losman needs another option that can see 5-6 catches a game and draw the safety off of Evans deep.

Encouraging to see Royal finding his hands, after dropping several passes early. He's an excellent blocker and may finally give Losman another option.

We can pick up a vet in FA and concentrate on DT, G and LB in the draft.

Lexwhat
12-22-2006, 03:26 PM
I think that to accurately gauge our offesive production, you have to look at the last 6 or 7 games, which is when our offense found itself so to speak.

My point is that we are developing a reputation as a dangerous offense. And once that is respected by teams accross the NFL, they will see that we can throw the ball to any one of our receivers and they are capable of taking it to the house.

I do see what you are saying.

So then I have a question for you...

If we had the opportunity to sign/draft a big receiver - would you do it? And if we do end up signing one, would you dislike the move?

I do think that we have more glaring needs than wide receiver. But I also think it would be a good move if we could get a big WR.

If the Bills can get Gonzalez (I know, very long shot) - then I don't think we need to get a WR. I just think that a different type of player as a pass-catcher will make our offense more dynamic. And that's never a bad thing.

Lexwhat
12-22-2006, 03:28 PM
And I think the EARLIEST we should draft a WR is the 3rd round.

Yasgur's Farm
12-22-2006, 03:29 PM
With other glaring needs, why would we draft a WR with our first pick. WR is not in our top 3 need positions??You're forgetting about free agency...

The picks I've selected would have an immediate impact in 2007.

We can easily fill holes at CB (Clemments walks), DT (Fast fat guy), LB (Fletcher may walk... TKO may be included in trade to move up) and RB (WM may be included in trade to move up) through free agency.

Just my opinion.

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I do see what you are saying.

So then I have a question for you...

If we had the opportunity to sign/draft a big receiver - would you do it? And if we do end up signing one, would you dislike the move?

I do think that we have more glaring needs than wide receiver. But I also think it would be a good move if we could get a big WR.

If the Bills can get Gonzalez (I know, very long shot) - then I don't think we need to get a WR. I just think that a different type of player as a pass-catcher will make our offense more dynamic. And that's never a bad thing.

I would not be against getting a big receiver, but I think a TE that is high end would be a lot better, and more effective.

BillsNick
12-22-2006, 03:40 PM
You're forgetting about free agency...

We can easily fill holes at CB (Clemments walks), DT (Fast fat guy), LB (Fletcher may walk... TKO may be included in trade to move up) and RB (WM may be included in trade to move up) through free agency.

Just my opinion.

Too much movement here. We definitely keep TKO right where he is, and I don't see how we get any WR's until the 3rd or 4th round anyways. I think TE would be the proper position to upgrade, although Royal is on his way up.

Saratoga Slim
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
I would not be against getting a big receiver, but I think a TE that is high end would be a lot better, and more effective.

Royal is pissing me off. I had decided that our WRs are fine IF we got a top-notch pass-catching tight end. Now that Royal is catching some touchdowns, I hate to see him get benched and my whole offseason theory has been disrupted.

But I do think that if we are going to be a truly dangerous offense, we need either
1) Royal to be both utilized in the passing game as well as to show that he is in fact a dangerous receiver, not just a guy who catches the ball when the defense forgets about him, or
2) a new, elite tight end, or
3) an improved #2 receiver that defenses are afraid of, or
4) greater production from the RB position

Pinkerton Security
12-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Too much movement here. We definitely keep TKO right where he is, and I don't see how we get any WR's until the 3rd or 4th round anyways. I think TE would be the proper position to upgrade, although Royal is on his way up.
I hope you're right, because Clements, Fletch and TKO are the heart and soul of our defense. Also, I do agree that a top-tier TE would be a MASSIVE improvement for the team, and a great option for JP, but looking at the TE's this draft, there really arent many that stand out to me. Granted Zach Miller and a couple others are projected late 1st to 2nd round, but none of them are a Vernon Davis, to be sure. There are some good WR prospects in the draft, and we have a distinct possibility to get either Dwayne Jarrett or even a speedy, 6'0" Ted Ginn Jr, with a certain possibility of getting a big target in Jeff Smardsziasdjffkdfjsklf (too hard to spell). Based on supply alone, I see this draft as a very good opportunity to pick up a very solid OL/DL prospect or a big, playmaking WR that we can throw up the fade to in the RZ.

Saratoga Slim
12-22-2006, 04:04 PM
I hope you're right, because Clements, Fletch and TKO are the heart and soul of our defense. Also, I do agree that a top-tier TE would be a MASSIVE improvement for the team, and a great option for JP, but looking at the TE's this draft, there really arent many that stand out to me. Granted Zach Miller and a couple others are projected late 1st to 2nd round, but none of them are a Vernon Davis, to be sure. There are some good WR prospects in the draft, and we have a distinct possibility to get either Dwayne Jarrett or even a speedy, 6'0" Ted Ginn Jr, with a certain possibility of getting a big target in Jeff Smardsziasdjffkdfjsklf (too hard to spell). Based on supply alone, I see this draft as a very good opportunity to pick up a very solid OL/DL prospect or a big, playmaking WR that we can throw up the fade to in the RZ.

Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Ted Ginn, or Jeff Samardizja would be outstanding as #2. Granted each would probably need a little time to develop, but any of those guys paired with Lee would be scary. Unfortunately, each would probably cost us a 1st rounder. If we grab a big nasty DT in FA, and have a plan for addressing the CB position if/when Nate leaves, then I'd feel pretty good about taking a WR first round--so long as we do some OL work in subsequent rounds.

It's hard to play the draft game when we don't yet know what free agency is going to bring us and take from us.

Saratoga Slim
12-22-2006, 04:07 PM

I would be inclined to agree. I'd really like to know what exactly Royal is capable of. I.e. is he a guy that will catch the occasional pass when the defense forgets about him, or is he a receiver that if utilized correctly will scare people.

Pinkerton Security
12-22-2006, 04:08 PM
It's hard to play the draft game when we don't yet know what free agency is going to bring us and take from us.

Good point. And who knows what underclassmen may declare and mix up the pecking order.

justasportsfan
12-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Our passing game is not one that scares the elite D's on this league. The same can be said about our running game and TE. All mediocre IMo opinion.

Our WR would suffice if we had an LT type of rb which we don't or at least a stud TE to compliment our wr's.

I never look at our team if it's good enough for regular season games.It's competitive enough for that . I always look to see if it's good enough to win one playoff game after another and eventually the sb where allthe games are tough. This team doesn't have the talent yet.

Here's a scenario an example.

Let's say we have to play bengals for wild card. Can we beat them with what we have on o? Maybe.

next is the Patriots- can we beat them?

Colts - well their run D sucks but Willis isn't not consistent enough.

Chargers- Doubt we can beat them at their best in good weather.

SB- Bears- hell no.

We will lose to any of those teams at any point. We have a long way to go.

DraftBoy
12-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Calvin-Top 3
Jarrett-Top 15
Ginn-15-20
Samardzija-Top 31

Thats where your gonna see he big 4 WR's go, and personally Id take any one of them 1st round. Especially Jarrett or Johnson.

Devin
12-22-2006, 06:55 PM
While I still believe we need a #2 guy a lot of your argument BillsNick I agree with. Which is why I had the Bills drafting MIller at TE. I think a guy like that opens up a lot of possibilities for the other WR's.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=116168

Night Train
12-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Calvin-Top 3
Jarrett-Top 15
Ginn-15-20
Samardzija-Top 31

Thats where your gonna see he big 4 WR's go, and personally Id take any one of them 1st round. Especially Jarrett or Johnson.

If we drafted a WR in Round 1, I'd drive to Orchard Park and burn down the Admin. Bldg.

X-Era
12-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Lee Eavns
Josh Reed
Roscoe Parrish
Peerless Price

Matt Trannon Mich St, probably in the 4th or so.

YardRat
12-22-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't think a #2 WR is as glaring need as some, but if a blue-chipper from FA or the draft falls into your lap, you take him.

Devin
12-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I think a guy like Jason Hill in the 2nd or 3rd would maybe be ok. The only way I blow a 1st rounder is if Johnson or Jarrett falls for some inexplicable reason.

Crazygoo
12-22-2006, 07:50 PM

i would have to agree with you here but also Royal has been doing much better at TE. He can certanly block well and he has been cathing alot of balls as of late. I know he drops some easy ones but so did Reed. I think we should put some stock in Royals corner. Just my opinion...

Mitchy moo
12-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Our passing game is not one that scares the elite D's on this league. The same can be said about our running game and TE. All mediocre IMo opinion.

Our WR would suffice if we had an LT type of rb which we don't or at least a stud TE to compliment our wr's.

I never look at our team if it's good enough for regular season games.It's competitive enough for that . I always look to see if it's good enough to win one playoff game after another and eventually the sb where allthe games are tough. This team doesn't have the talent yet.

Here's a scenario an example.

Let's say we have to play bengals for wild card. Can we beat them with what we have on o? Maybe.

next is the Patriots- can we beat them?

Colts - well their run D sucks but Willis isn't not consistent enough.

Chargers- Doubt we can beat them at their best in good weather.

SB- Bears- hell no.

We will lose to any of those teams at any point. We have a long way to go.

Bears in the SB?? Sure, Rex and his 10 rating will take them to the promised land. Try the Hawks or even the eagles if they keep picking up their play.

BillsFever21
12-23-2006, 11:13 AM

We are far from establishing a reputation around the NFL as an offensive juggernaut.

Now if we could get a real #2 WR with some height to play alongside Evans along with Reed, Price and Parrish then we may be talkiing about a dangerous attack.

McGahee still can't get 100 yards consistently or score many TD's. Another big threat will only help him too.

We've been improving on offense but even over the last 7 games we've been far from an offense the other NFL teams are losing sleep over. We've just improved ourselves enough to be a respectable and legit offense. We are far from an offense like the Bengals or Colts.

We're close but not there yet. We will never get to that level without another legit #2 WR to play next to Evans. If Evans could get single coverage most of the game then that would be very scary.

justasportsfan
12-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Bears in the SB?? Sure, Rex and his 10 rating will take them to the promised land. Try the Hawks or even the eagles if they keep picking up their play.

I'm talking about their D Skoobs. I doubt our current passing O is gonna cut it. When trying to grade your team, you gotta see what they can do against the best. Besides it was just an example or a scenario of what teams we would be facing in the playoffs all the way to the sb.

BillsFever21
12-23-2006, 11:17 AM
You're forgetting about free agency...

Just my opinion.

Them positions are far from "easily" replacing.

You just don't replace two of your top 3-5 best players on defense and the best as their respective positions on the team and say they can easily be replaced.

Some people think you can just get rid of your great players because you don't wanna pay them and think that it will be easy to replace them. This is not the case.

Clements and Fletcher are top 10 players in the NFL at their positions. You can't just draft anybody who looks good in college and expect them to play at that level. If it was that easy then no great players would ever be re-signed to a big contract. You could just "easily" replace them in the draft with a rookie.