• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

CB Clements’ stock likely has risen out of Bills’ price range

We hear that CB Nate Clements’ strong play in recent weeks virtually assures the fact that he’ll be leaving the Bills via free agency this coming offseason. We hear that the agreement between the Bills and Clements that the team would not use the franchise tag on the 27-year-old for a second consecutive year was written into Clements’ one-year contract for 2006. As a result, the Bills must decide whether they’re willing to make Clements, who boasts excellent size, speed and playmaking ability and was a Pro Bowler after the ’04 season, one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in the game, or allow him to leave. We hear that a number of teams are already lining up to make a run at Clements if he hits the open market. Word is the Bills and Clements have had preliminary discussions regarding a new deal, but that they were so far apart they decided that any further discussion would be a waste of time. With needs at several positions, we hear it’s unlikely that the Bills will break the bank for one player.

So it was not a verbal agreement but a written one as previously reported. PFW is not a crap site and usually has facts right.
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: CB Clements’ stock likely has risen out of Bills’ price range

<table style="width: 622px; height: 527px;" id="Table1" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="3"> (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm)</td> </tr> <tr> <td

Already posted.

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Stupid move by the GM.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
        Stupid move by the GM.

no it isn't.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
          no it isn't.
          I can't expect you to understand but for the rest I will explain...

You NEVER make that agreement. When you have a guy that will be as sought after as Clements you tag his ass and get SOMETHING for him. Instead just to get clements into camp in a REBUILDING SEASON, marv screwed up.

Now we are on the verge of being a playoff team/ a team contending in the AFCE Next year. So now we have to either replace clements and get NOTHING in return or over pay him to keep him. Where as Marv didn't agree to tag him, we can trade him and further help us toward becoming an AFCE title contender.

Dumb assed move by Marv. I bet he doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

You NEVER make that agreement. When you have a guy that will be as sought after as Clements you tag his ass and get SOMETHING for him. Instead just to get clements into camp in a REBUILDING SEASON, marv screwed up.

Now we are on the verge of being a playoff team/ a team contending in the AFCE Next year. So now we have to either replace clements and get NOTHING in return or over pay him to keep him. Where as Marv didn't agree to tag him, we can trade him and further help us toward becoming an AFCE title contender.

Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

I'll stop short of calling it a "dumb ass" move, because I'm not really sure what Nate was threatening in the absence of that agreement.

But I'd be pretty f-in psyched if we could tag him and trade him for another 1st or 2nd round pick. Unfortunately, we can't welch.
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by G. Host
                http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...m?mode=afceast
                We hear that CB Nate Clements’ strong play in recent weeks virtually assures the fact that he’ll be leaving the Bills via free agency this coming offseason. We hear that the agreement between the Bills and Clements that the team would not use the franchise tag on the 27-year-old for a second consecutive year was written into Clements’ one-year contract for 2006. As a result, the Bills must decide whether they’re willing to make Clements, who boasts excellent size, speed and playmaking ability and was a Pro Bowler after the ’04 season, one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in the game, or allow him to leave. We hear that a number of teams are already lining up to make a run at Clements if he hits the open market. Word is the Bills and Clements have had preliminary discussions regarding a new deal, but that they were so far apart they decided that any further discussion would be a waste of time. With needs at several positions, we hear it’s unlikely that the Bills will break the bank for one player.

So it was not a verbal agreement but a written one as previously reported. PFW is not a crap site and usually has facts right.
                And if Marv & Co. did this, then it is one of the dumbest moves he could've made. Why give up your rights to one of your biggest assets when you could use him to get a draft pick? Now he walks for nothing if we don't sign him. Rookie GM mistake and a costly one.

Comment

Working...
                X