PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting news from the Sam Adams camp.

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Wright (Adam's agent) said there are other teams interested in Adams, but thinks Buffalo would be an ideal spot for the 6-foot-3, 340-pound Pro Bowl run-stuffer.

"Sam would add a compelling piece to their defense," said Wright, who also represents Bills defensive tackle Pat Williams. "With Sam and Pat Williams inside, you solidify that run defense. We're hopeful we can reach an agreement."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030304/1015634.asp

maybe he is closer than we think.

Romes
03-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Last, year everyone wanted him here. This year the public opinion is completley different. All, I know is that Adams can swallow up a couple o-linemen and that is exactly what we need. Adams would be an instant improvement to our defense.

don137
03-04-2003, 11:40 AM
I think TD is working Adams to put pressure on the Bengals so they can sign him and beat Buffalo to the punch thus hoping for the release of the tag on Spikes.

clumping platelets
03-04-2003, 11:48 AM
:snicker:

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 12:07 PM
most definately.. if it were possible to add adams and spikes, i think our defense would be improved 10 fold.. and think if we were able to move price, and add either another DT or OLB via the draft.. nice

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Hey I do like Thorton a little better but I would be very happy to get adams also!!!

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 12:23 PM
thorton is not as good as adams by any stretch.. but he is less expensive.. or so it is thought at this point.. no one has shown me anything that says how much adams wants.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2003, 12:42 PM
True Tatonka I do agree there. If they are in the same Price range I would take adams!

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 12:45 PM
no one has shown me anything that thorton wants either actually.. he has visited a few teams now.. and no one seems interested..

WG
03-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
thorton is not as good as adams by any stretch.. but he is less expensive.. or so it is thought at this point.. no one has shown me anything that says how much adams wants.

Thornton is up and coming while Adams is on the downside of his career and going. Thornton would be a good 4-6 year pickup. Adams would be good for 2 seasons max likely and for significantly more per season.

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
True Tatonka I do agree there. If they are in the same Price range I would take adams!

They wouldn't be unless Adams is reducing his demands enormously. Especially if many teams are interested in Adams while not teams are interested in Thornton. Supply & demand.

The question that you need to ask is not whether Thornton is as good as Adams, it's "whether Thornton and a solid DE" together would benefit the Bills more than say Adams and a vet-min DE for example. I think we'd be better off with solid at each position instead of great at one or two and nominal at others.

Again y'all, this is a zero sum game. Money you spend in one area isn't available elsewhere. I think it's more important to find 3 or 4 very good players to fill the needs we have instead of 1 or 2 that are only marginally better while having to pay heavy sacrifices elsewhere by only being able to get vet-min players, such as at DE.

kgun12
03-04-2003, 12:58 PM
WYS Again I agree with you.

Halbert
03-04-2003, 01:18 PM
With all the huge attention paid to Adams last season, why has there been such a drop-off this year? He was the prime defensive FA last year and you hardly hear his name now.

venis2k1
03-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
WYS Again I agree with you.

word

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2003, 02:32 PM
I agree with you WYS I was just saying if they happened to be in the same range I would like Adams even if it is for less time. I have always be under the assumption that Adams would be much more expensive.

TedMock
03-04-2003, 03:06 PM
If, and it's a big IF, Sam Adams is willing to come at a reasonable price I'd love to have him in Buffalo. I think he and PW next to eachother could be tremendous and give the team enough years to groom young guys who will learn from a very good tandom. I agree that they still need at least a LB and probably a DE unless Marcus Jones is 100% completly recovered. I don't know the answer to this. If he's not and Adams is a lot of $ than I'd say Thornton all the way.

ct bills fan
03-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Since when is 29 (or 30, considering Adams was born 6/13/73) considered over the Hill?

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 04:33 PM
adams is not over the hill..

and until you can show me what each player is asking for (thorton and adams) dont pretend like you know..

thorton could very well be asking for 3.5 a year and adams could want 4 mill a year.

i am not saying thorton is not good. i am saying that he has visited 3 teams now and no one has signed him .. why?

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 04:33 PM
by that rational, pat williams is over the hill too right? he is close to 30

justasportsfan
03-04-2003, 04:36 PM
He's not over the hill. He's overweight.

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 04:39 PM
yeah.. that will keep you out of the probowl.. ted washington too...

:scratch:

venis2k1
03-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
by that rational, pat williams is over the hill too right? he is close to 30

Yes, by definition "over the hill" means more than halfway through your career. If PW is 30 years old, and a 7 year vet, i think its safe to assume at 315 lbs PW wont play until he is 37 years old...making him "over the hill"

RedEyE
03-04-2003, 04:46 PM
I'm not going to pretend that I know their signing numbers, but Adams is a BIG NAME DT. He has been a part of two solid Super Bowl teams. Make no mistake about, he'll be expecting BIG TIME $$. I have to agree with Wys on this, bring in a smaller name yet productive DT that will compliment Williams. I think that Thorton is that guy. Spend the hard money on a BIG NAME OLB.

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 04:51 PM
well.. what does it matter.. obviously.. we need to replace pat williams too.. cuz he is over the hill.. i hope he can make it until the season starts without keeling over..

you guys are nuts.. 30 years old does not equal over the hill.. those guy have at least three-four more good years... if we dont win the superbowl in that time, it wont matter anyway.. we will be rebuilding

BillsMan80
03-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Folks, Sam Adams is a heckuva player. Adams is a player who has been a leader on numerous teams who have gone far into the playoffs. Add into the equation that he wants to be here. Wright said he hopes that Adams can come to an agreement with the team too. We don't know what either are asking, and in terms of ability, right now, Adams is a better player, but Thornton is better in the future. However, Adams will bring an instant impact to this defense that cannot be overlooked. Sam Adams is right for the Bills.

MissBuffalo
03-04-2003, 05:09 PM
If he's asking for insane money like last season, then I'd pass. I agree with RedEyE on this one, spend it on a OLB.....namely Takeo, if not Peterson.

Tatonka
03-04-2003, 06:23 PM
he was asking for 3 mill a year last season.. that is NOT insane money imho.. i would pay three mill a year in a heartbeat... and that is what he got with the raiders.

takeo is gonna cost us like 2 times that amount, and everyone is screaming bring spikes in..

guess what.. spikes cant stop all the rbs that are going to be running up the middle on us again this year.