• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

'Spy' on Vince Young?

Anybody think Fewell will add a wrinkle to the Tampa2 today and designate a 'spy' to try to offset Young's running ability from the pocket?

Good idea or bad? If so, who? The manner in which the defense is designed, considering the MLB's responsibility to drop deeper in pass coverage somewhat negates Fletch's ability to do both. Perhaps one of the DT positions?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • njsue
    Jersey Girl!!!!!!
    • Sep 2003

Re: 'Spy' on Vince Young?

Any way to keep Vince Young in the pocket. When he scrambles then its a problem.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
      I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
      • May 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
      Anybody think Fewell will add a wrinkle to the Tampa2 today and designate a 'spy' to try to offset Young's running ability from the pocket?

Good idea or bad? If so, who? The manner in which the defense is designed, considering the MLB's responsibility to drop deeper in pass coverage somewhat negates Fletch's ability to do both. Perhaps one of the DT positions?
      I know this is a common technique... but you don't honestly believe our DT's would be any good as spies on VY... not quick enough at all. It would need to be a linebacker, and they're going to be busy enough already. I'd prefer the DT's to just stuff the middle of the line for a change.

I know already I'm going to find myself swearing at the tv everytime Vince takes off running today. We just need to find a way to limit it to some extent and not let him do what Vick did to us last season and pick up allllllll the 3rd and longs.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

I wouldn't expect a DT to go stride for stride with Young...just maintain position at the line of scrimmage and 'mirror' Young's position in the pocket at that point. The Dt wouldn't necessarily be expected to make the tackle, rather funnel Young to someone else who would.

An alternative to a spy could be to push the middle of the pocket and force Young to the outside, but that would negate Schobel/Denney/Kelsay from getting upfield from the outside where their speed and quickness have been most effective.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Coach Sal
          • Aug 2006

I'm not a big fan of "spy's" on QB's. When you commit to having one, you're basically playing with ten defensive players - and there's still no guarantee of stopping the guy you're spying.

Also, by having a "spy," you're creating a responsibility problem. If the spy leaves his area to do something/go somewhere he normally wouldn't, there will be an area of the field uncovered. And if another player has to leave his area to fill, then it become a "domino effect" problem.

I'm not saying spy's haven't, won't, or don't work. Done the right way in the right system with the right personnel they can be useful.

But I hate taking one whole player basically out of my defense every play. Offensive Coordinators are smart, too. If they see this is what you are trying to do, they can find ways to make that kill you.
          Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
          And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
            • Jan 2003

I say Whitner should be a spy. I'm sure he's still pissed at how Vince shredded Ohio State last year in the opener. Then put Fletcher as a double secret undercover spy just in case Whitner misses him like he must have in last year's game.

Comment

• DynaPaul
              • Sep 2003

I say forget the spies and don't bother rushing him. Just keep an area of containment and force him to pass to win. Throw all kinds of different looks that a rookie QB hasn't seen yet at him.

Comment

Working...
              X