One more time- could someone explain this ****ing Tampa 2 to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

One more time- could someone explain this ****ing Tampa 2 to me?

If the DL is supposed to generate the pass rush so the back 7 can play pass D and not blitz, who the **** is supposed to stop the run? If the LB's are dropping back into pass coverage and the DL is getting up field to rush the passer, there's a LOT of running room in there.

It seems like there's a fundamental flaw in the system.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: One more time- could someone explain this ****ing Tampa 2 to me?

ITS ****! pure and absolute ****. Look it worked about 5-6 years ago, since then teams have figured it out.

Running two small DT's isn't going to work. I am sick and tired of hearing about Chicago and their great D, its pure bull ****. how many championships for them with that D? NONE! Carolina ran up and down the field on them last year in the playoffs AT CHICAGO!

Hell Miami beat their asses I mean come on!

Marv should have taken Ngata and not whitner in the draft and I stand by it.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Whitner's been pretty damn good for us, but there's no doubt that our DL needs serious help.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
        Whitner's been pretty damn good for us, but there's no doubt that our DL needs serious help.
        At no time have I said Whitner won't be a damn good player. What I have said is upgrade the DL and just about any DB will be much better.

Football 101 Run and STOP THE RUN. We could have gotten by with anyone at SS if we had solidified DT. Marv though says we need light, small DT's. Again, how good is baltimores D this year? Who did they draft? Nuff said.

Comment

• Bufftp
          Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

It is essentially a "crush" defense.
          Designed to crush your heart at the end of the game.
          Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
          "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
          Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
          - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
          to be led by permanent ideals -
          that is what keeps a man patient
          when the world ignores him,
          and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Nobody seemed to think the Tampa 2 was horrible the past 7 games. The difference is, McGee is terrible in coverage this year, and Thomas is better. The only thing I can blame the coaches for is having McGee in there instead of Thomas. McGee got TORCHED twice for TDs today.

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

McGee got his fat contract extension. Did you expect him to play this season?
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                Nobody seemed to think the Tampa 2 was horrible the past 7 games. The difference is, McGee is terrible in coverage this year, and Thomas is better. The only thing I can blame the coaches for is having McGee in there instead of Thomas. McGee got TORCHED twice for TDs today.
                I didn't think Thomas played particularly well today either. He was out of position on the first TD and missed a tackle that lead to a 3rd down conversion. But you're right- McGee has been bad for most of the season.

The thing is that the Tampa 2 seems to work great in games where the other team is forced to pass. But when the game is close and the other team can still run late in the 4th quarter, we get killed every time. It's an excellent system for stopping the pass- but like ICE said, it's RUN and STOP THE RUN in the NFL. We got half of that equation right today, but lost because we missed on the other half.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

I didn't think Thomas played particularly well today either. He was out of position on the first TD and missed a tackle that lead to a 3rd down conversion. But you're right- McGee has been bad for most of the season.

The thing is that the Tampa 2 seems to work great in games where the other team is forced to pass. But when the game is close and the other team can still run late in the 4th quarter, we get killed every time. It's an excellent system for stopping the pass- but like ICE said, it's RUN and STOP THE RUN in the NFL. We got half of that equation right today, but lost because we missed on the other half.

The basic concept of the Tampa 2 is to be able to stop the run with your front 7. This means your corners have to be very good in coverage, and McGee hasn't been this year. If Nate leaves, the whole defensive scheme is going to have to change, or the Bills are going to have to sign a top cover corner.

You are right, not being able to stop the run doesn't help either, and this week it finally came back to bite the Bills.

Everyone needs to remember, Jauron has had ONE draft. He needs time to get the pieces to his puzzle on D. I think he and Fewell have done very well with what they have, and yes, I'm disappointed they lost, but I'm not disappointed with the overall effort. It was a play off type atmosphere, and I think the Bills would've won if Royal hadn't have screwed up. I honestly think that cost Buffalo the game.

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

I thought it sucked all year and I said since april drafting whitner was wrong

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
                      I thought it sucked all year and I said since april drafting whitner was wrong
                      Post Edited.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

The basic concept of the Tampa 2 is to be able to stop the run with your front 7. This means your corners have to be very good in coverage, and McGee hasn't been this year. If Nate leaves, the whole defensive scheme is going to have to change, or the Bills are going to have to sign a top cover corner.

You are right, not being able to stop the run doesn't help either, and this week it finally came back to bite the Bills.

Everyone needs to remember, Jauron has had ONE draft. He needs time to get the pieces to his puzzle on D. I think he and Fewell have done very well with what they have, and yes, I'm disappointed they lost, but I'm not disappointed with the overall effort. It was a play off type atmosphere, and I think the Bills would've won if Royal hadn't have screwed up. I honestly think that cost Buffalo the game.
                        The LB's seem to drop back into pass coverage more often than they play the run.

And if we don't have the personnel, why are we running the system? You can't fit a round peg into a square hole. And if you try, the result is being 27th in the league in rush D.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

The LB's seem to drop back into pass coverage more often than they play the run.

And if we don't have the personnel, why are we running the system? You can't fit a round peg into a square hole. And if you try, the result is being 27th in the league in rush D.
                          Well, the whole point is to get the system in place, and have your D learn it. Look at how much the D improved (outside of today) over the course of the season.

I do understand where you are coming from, and it is frustrating. The only thing I can say, is hopefully Dick and Marv get a few more pieces that they are missing on D and they somehow keep Nate, or figure out a way to replace him.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Well, the whole point is to get the system in place, and have your D learn it. Look at how much the D improved (outside of today) over the course of the season.

I do understand where you are coming from, and it is frustrating. The only thing I can say, is hopefully Dick and Marv get a few more pieces that they are missing on D and they somehow keep Nate, or figure out a way to replace him.
                            I think Nate's as good as gone- there are too few CB's available in FA and too many teams that are WAY under the cap. Although I haven't been thrilled with him, at this point I think keeping him is the lesser of two evils- but I don't really think we'll have a choice in the matter.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Nobody expected this thing to be fixed in one year, especially the first year of a new system.

I also was looking for DT or o-line with the first pick in the draft and was slightly stunned when they took Whitner, but in hindsight it was a good pick and I stand by that.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X