PDA

View Full Version : I Would Like To See Some Wholesale Changes On Defense.

Jan Reimers
12-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Yesterday's horrendous tackling, absence of pressure and complete lack of containment of Young were sickening.

I would love to see Spikes, Fletcher, Clements and Anderson gone, and their savings to be spent on a couple of massive DTs and two stud LBs who could actually wrap up a ball carrier before he breaks into the secondary for a 15 or 20 yard gain.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my defenders to actually be able to execute a tackle near the line of scrimmage, rather than waiting for Simpson and Whitner to save the day.

Statman
12-25-2006, 02:47 PM
And which massive DTs will they replace?

McCargo who Levy and Jauron just traded up for and wasted a day one pick to get?

Tripplett who they just signed for almost $20 million?

Or Kevin Williams, maybe our best DT in spite of the fact that he's not very good and a rookie too?

How many of our resources would you like to see Levy and Jauron consume to cover their tracks this year?

Do you see any opportunity costs here, or do you view our imminent offseason efforts being driven from unlimited resources?

Do you trust Levy and Jauron to pick a good DT?

The_Philster
12-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Or Kevin Williams, maybe our best DT in spite of the fact that he's not very good and a rookie too?
You mean Kyle Williams, I think..Kevin plays for the Vikes

Jan Reimers
12-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I said get rid of Anderson. That would leave us Triplett and Williams, who are undersized but decent, and McCargo, who is virtually untested. Bring in two big boys through the draft and/or FA, and keep the best 4 in the rotation. We cannot live with the present alignment.

Statman
12-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I meant as a starter.

So you'd replace three guys just brought on by them in their first shot at it?

And you trust them to get the next one why?

Jan Reimers
12-25-2006, 03:23 PM
No, I'd supplement the three guys we have (who are decent) with two really big, run stuffing DTs, and if it means sending any of those three to the bench, or the waiver wire, so be it.

Our run D sucks, and it starts with a lack of size in the middle. We will NEVER win consistently with our present configuration. Perhaps adding a couple of stout LBs will help the situation, but we need at least one Teddy Washington-Pat Williams-Sam Adams type.

Statman
12-25-2006, 03:47 PM
I won't disagree with you Jan but how does this rub with a GM and head coach that have already said that those types of guys you just recommended "don't fit the system" as a matter of rule?

Also, you're overstepping the notion that you trust guys that created the problem to fix it. Is that consistent from the perspective of arguing your point?

mchurchfie
12-25-2006, 07:14 PM
I meant as a starter.

We have no choice but to trust them to get it right the next time...they aren't going anywheres as a GM and HC. Something HAS to be done with this defense though. Its bad enough to give up pass completions but when teams have career rushing days against your defense week in and week out then something is severely wrong and its more than just guys not playing their gaps and getting used to the new defense. We are getting manhandled and smacked in the head every week. Nothing is more demoralizing to a team and its fans when the other team runs on you at will because of overaggressiveness and pisspoor tackling. Sorry, but I have to agree with Jan...ANY change would be welcome. Fletch is a warrior but he is also the Bledsoe of defense...ALL stats and no show at crunchtime when it really counts. I haven't heard Spikes name called since he has been back. However, I think we need to give him another year to FULLY recover from his injury. You just don't get that bad all of the sudden unless you are still hurting. They also need to use him in a better role. I would like to see them blitz him more, he always was an excellent passrusher. As far as Anderson and Triplett they can package those two up and trade trade em for a bag of chips. I would love to see them get back to a 3-4. a defense that ALWAYs was the backbone of Buffalo defenses. Dating back to when Gay Greg Williams switched the defense to a 4-3 in his mold we have been doing nothing but giving up HUGE chunks of yardage in every way, shape, or form. Maybe even get in a seasoned DC. I'm tired of Buffalo being the official training grounds for wannabe HC's, DC's and OC's. Bottomline, change needs to be made on the defensive side.

Kerr
12-25-2006, 08:32 PM
We have no choice but to trust them to get it right the next time...they aren't going anywheres as a GM and HC. Something HAS to be done with this defense though. Its bad enough to give up pass completions but when teams have career rushing days against your defense week in and week out then something is severely wrong and its more than just guys not playing their gaps and getting used to the new defense. We are getting manhandled and smacked in the head every week. Nothing is more demoralizing to a team and its fans when the other team runs on you at will because of overaggressiveness and pisspoor tackling. Sorry, but I have to agree with Jan...ANY change would be welcome. Fletch is a warrior but he is also the Bledsoe of defense...ALL stats and no show at crunchtime when it really counts. I haven't heard Spikes name called since he has been back. However, I think we need to give him another year to FULLY recover from his injury. You just don't get that bad all of the sudden unless you are still hurting. They also need to use him in a better role. I would like to see them blitz him more, he always was an excellent passrusher. As far as Anderson and Triplett they can package those two up and trade trade em for a bag of chips. I would love to see them get back to a 3-4. a defense that ALWAYs was the backbone of Buffalo defenses. Dating back to when Gay Greg Williams switched the defense to a 4-3 in his mold we have been doing nothing but giving up HUGE chunks of yardage in every way, shape, or form. Maybe even get in a seasoned DC. I'm tired of Buffalo being the official training grounds for wannabe HC's, DC's and OC's. Bottomline, change needs to be made on the defensive side.

You're right. Regardless of the fans' frustration with jauron and company, they will be here next year. We'll have to hope for the best. As far as the defense goes, we might have a shot at alfonso boone of the bears and if we're lucky, Pat Williams, who might be a cap cut.
I'd be more comfortable with a veteran DT than a rookie DT because rookie Dt's are inexperienced and could end up being busts.

TacklingDummy
12-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I would love to see Spikes, Fletcher, Clements and Anderson gone, and their savings to be spent on a couple of massive DTs and two stud LBs who could actually wrap up a ball carrier before he breaks into the secondary for a 15 or 20 yard gain.

The Bills will be close to $40 million under the cap. Why do they need to make anymore cap room to sign anyone? $40 million should be enough to keep Spikes, Fletcher, Clements and still be able to sign other players.

Jan Reimers
12-26-2006, 06:05 AM
The Bills will be close to $40 million under the cap. Why do they need to make anymore cap room to sign anyone? $40 million should be enough to keep Spikes, Fletcher, Clements and still be able to sign other players.
Frankly, I see Spikes and Fletch as part of the problem, not the solution. Nate will simply cost us way more than his actual value. And we still need help on the O line, WR and TE, besides DT and LB, and some would say we need a monster DE and CB as well. Our cap space will be eaten up fairly quickly with our list of needs.

I don't see where we ever get much better than 8-8 without some significant changes.

Historian
12-26-2006, 06:56 AM
I agree Jan.

I would like to see Fletch stay, but its time to wish Clements and Spikes the best, and move forward.

The D line is our #1 priority.

Heck, I would even take Pat Williams back.

:ill:

Night Train
12-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Yesterday's horrendous tackling, absence of pressure and complete lack of containment of Young were sickening.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my defenders to actually be able to execute a tackle near the line of scrimmage, rather than waiting for Simpson and Whitner to save the day.

:bf1:

Changes will be coming. Marv and Jauron will look at the film and not have an ounce of sentiment in their grading. It's about winning football and curing our biggest problem, which is our non existent run defense.

Historian
12-26-2006, 07:31 AM
And It was right about this time in the Super Bowl team's development that Marv traded for Art Still.

;)

mchurchfie
12-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Run and stop the run...Marv must have been sick to his stomach this year over our run defense. Hopefully he will take a good hard look at that.

Romes
12-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Draft Patrick Willis MLB from Miss. You heard it here first.

Fletcher doesn't cut it against the run. The DT's are partly to blame but a consitent knock against Fletch is that he can't shed blocks well. Time to move on.

alohabillsfan
12-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Trade Spikes to Detroit for DT S. Rodgers (Millen could bite!) Good bye Anderson
Sign SLB L. Briggs Good bye Spikes
Sign LDE Justin Smith Bengals Good bye Kelsey (maybe)
Sign CB Harper Colts (good bye Clements) He will be much cheaper!

Still would like upgrade at MLB (Fletcher can't seem to get off blocks)

Starting Defense

LDE DT DT RDE
J. Smith Tripplet S. Rodgers Schobel

WLB ILB SLB
Crowell ROOKIE Briggs

LCB FS SS RCB
Mcgee Simpson Whitner Harper

Kerr
12-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Trade Spikes to Detroit for DT S. Rodgers (Millen could bite!) Good bye Anderson
Sign SLB L. Briggs Good bye Spikes
Sign LDE Justin Smith Bengals Good bye Kelsey (maybe)
Sign CB Harper Colts (good bye Clements) He will be much cheaper!

Still would like upgrade at MLB (Fletcher can't seem to get off blocks)

Starting Defense

LDE DT DT RDE
J. Smith Tripplet S. Rodgers Schobel

WLB ILB SLB
Crowell ROOKIE Briggs

LCB FS SS RCB
Mcgee Simpson Whitner Harper

I could actually deal with that. The thing with Shaun Rodgers is that he tends has motivational issues and gets lazy. He has lotsof potential, but that's his problem. Bill Kollar would be sure to light a fire under his ass.

HHURRICANE
12-26-2006, 11:03 AM
I meant as a starter.

Let's keep losing with what we have. That's seems to make more sense!

HHURRICANE
12-26-2006, 11:06 AM

Last I looked we haven't been winning with them on the field. Just because Clements and Fletcher decided to step it up in contract years means nothing to me!! Spikes decided that not lifting any weights, while he was recovering, was a good idea. We should trade for Henry and make him a LB. He looks a hell of a lot stronger the TKO!!!

Earthquake Enyart
12-26-2006, 11:23 AM
SImpson was terrible and all of our LB's were invisable.

That Vince Young run made me sick.

alohabillsfan
12-26-2006, 11:25 AM
I could actually deal with that. The thing with Shaun Rodgers is that he tends has motivational issues and gets lazy. He has lotsof potential, but that's his problem. Bill Kollar would be sure to light a fire under his ass.

It has to be hard to get motivated in detroit! I think some vets here could do it, fresh start etc...

KW Fan
12-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Kyle Williams is going yo be a damn good DT....

KWF

justasportsfan
12-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Cutting Spikes won't help us either. No one is gonna trade for him and we'll end up with wasted dead cap. Might as well keep him and let him play out his contract and we'll still be $40 million under the cap. If he never returns to what he once was , don't resign him when his contract is up.

justasportsfan
12-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Kyle Williams is going yo be a damn good DT....

KWF
Right now it isn't a FACT KW .I know you're biased but I hope you're right. FACT is , the DT position needs MAJOR help. IMO, it's the weakest link not only on the DL but the entire team.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Cutting Spikes won't help us either. No one is gonna trade for him and we'll end up with wasted dead cap. Might as well keep him and let him play out his contract and we'll still be $40 million under the cap. If he never returns to what he once was , don't resign him when his contract is up.
OK, if we don't save anything by dumping him, let's keep him around for veteran leadership. But let's put him on the bench so he doesn't get in the way of someone who might actually be able to make a play.

justasportsfan
12-27-2006, 01:10 PM
OK, if we don't save anything by dumping him, let's keep him around for veteran leadership. But let's put him on the bench so he doesn't get in the way of someone who might actually be able to makle a play.

He has time to get better in the offseason. He's already shown improvement towards the end. If Julian Peterson can resurect himself, you gotta at least give TKO the benefit of a doubt. It's not like we're talking about Mike Williams. It's Spikes. Jan if there's anyone on this team that deserves a chance, it's SPikes. Winning team or bottom feeders, this guy gave 150% everytime. I'd get rid of Willis before I get rid of Spikes just on effort alone.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2006, 01:45 PM
He has time to get better in the offseason. He's already shown improvement towards the end. If Julian Peterson can resurect himself, you gotta at least give TKO the benefit of a doubt. It's not like we're talking about Mike Williams. It's Spikes. Jan if there's anyone on this team that deserves a chance, it's SPikes. Winning team or bottom feeders, this guy gave 150% everytime. I'd get rid of Willis before I get rid of Spikes just on effort alone.
I agree, justa, and I also hope TKO can get back close to where he once was. I guess I just got frustrated watching him this year.

justasportsfan
12-27-2006, 01:52 PM
I agree, justa, and I also hope TKO can get back close to where he once was. I guess I just got frustrated watching him this year.

Modern medicine has improved imensely compared to Cowarts time. Didn't it take Cowart longer to even get back on the field? :idunno: I just can't for the life of me give up so easily on a warrior. Especially one that took less $$ to be here and wants to still be here. This guy came here because of the passion the bills fans have for their team.